Click Here To Visit Our Sponsor

Photo

West Virginia Mental Asylum; Weston, WV (closed down)

• Please log in to reply
33 replies to this topic

#1 Wynki

Wynki

• Pip
  • 4 posts
  • Interests:If I'm on this site, that should be evident.<br /><br />But I also enjoy music, movies, and other things you don't care about.

Posted 18 April 2006 - 12:54 PM

This is a very unique building, 2nd largest handcarved stone structure in the America.
It's been closed for about a decade, and they're planning its destruction. This building was in process of treating mental illnesses since the Civil War era.
During the times I've visited this place (its about a mile from my home) I've seen, heard, and just felt the presence of something restless. The building itself seems to transform somewhat. One night a friend of mine and I were outside of it looking around the grounds, and I looked up to one of the carvings (a simple cross) and I looked away. Then I happened to glance back at it and it was inverted. I thought maybe it was just a trick of my mind, but one can ever be sure, right?
Also, we managed to get a tour through it a few years back, and we convinced the guide to allow us into the old clock tower. We saw poltergeist activity in the room involving the mechanics of the clock. It stopped working when we entered the room, and upon exiting the building I looked up to the clock tower and noticed it had began to move again.
There are three graveyards on the grounds of the asylum, as well as a morgue, where only the bodies of mental patients were processed and buried.
I believe most of these spirits are merely here to preserve the past to show us how terrible the conditions were there once (icepick treatment, anyone? Shock therapy?), and they are harmless. Since the city is planning the destruction of the beautiful part of our history sometime in the near future, the spirits are making a sudden increase in uprising.
There have been more accounts from locals and tourists alike of similar sightings at the old asylum.

Here are some images of the hospital itself (NOTE: these are not my own images)

Posted Image

Posted Image

Edited by MoonChild, 18 April 2006 - 12:56 PM.

#2 MoonChild

MoonChild

Undead giant that feasts on hotdogs!

• Town Council
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 50,391 posts
  • Interests:Life

Posted 18 April 2006 - 12:57 PM

Welcome to GhostVillage Wynki.

It has an eerie look! Spooky!
Posted Image

#3 Wynki

Wynki

• Pip
  • 4 posts
  • Interests:If I'm on this site, that should be evident.<br /><br />But I also enjoy music, movies, and other things you don't care about.

Posted 18 April 2006 - 01:22 PM

Yeah, it really does, but recently its been taped off because its getting dangerous to be around. Sad really, that they aren't preserving it well.

#4 angelinayorke

angelinayorke

Addicted to White Castle Cheeseburgers

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,824 posts
  • Interests:THE RED SOX,religion, Reading, music, the paranormal (ESPECIALLY when it involves Mental hospitals/asylums), history, law/crimes/serial killers/what makes em' tick ,the Steelers, hiking

Posted 23 April 2006 - 12:07 PM

Yeah, it really does, but recently its been taped off because its getting dangerous to be around. Sad really, that they aren't preserving it well.

They haven't been preserving most places like this. It's very sad.
Boston, you know we love you madly,Hear the crowd roar to your sound,Don't blame us if we ever doubt you,You know we couldn't live without you, Tessie, you are the only only only (RED SOX YOU ARE THE ONLY ONES)~Dropkick Murphys

#5 LycanGhost

LycanGhost

Senior Villager

• PipPipPipPip
  • 349 posts
  • Interests:Knitting and crocheting, scrapbooking, reading, listening to music and singing

Posted 25 April 2006 - 11:15 AM

Yeah, they aren't. But it's a beautiful old building. :ghost: I'd like to explore it.

Posted Image

Cry Havoc! And let loose the Dobermans of war!

My knitting and crocheting blog.

Life is too short to take seriously, none of us get out of it alive.

Each morning when I open my eyes I say to myself: I, not events, have the power to make me happy or unhappy today. I can choose which it shall be.Yesterday is dead, tomorrow hasn't arrived yet. I have just one day, today, and I'm going to be happy in it.

http://www.nomorerack.com/?cr=9281971

#6 WickedBrat

WickedBrat

Junior Villager

• PipPip
  • 31 posts
  • Interests:29 married, feel like 19. Just like to meet new people and have fun. Outgoing and I enjoy reading ghost stories. Writing and drawing.

Posted 25 April 2006 - 11:38 AM

hmm i would love to explore that building only if i lived in the states *grins* just to be scared out of my wits at times.
"You seem to be on Death's doorstep" Grandmother"Yeah well, I just wipe My feet on His Unwelcome Mat, say Ciao Sucker and walk away" Me Order My Life with a Side of Fun and Hold the Grim Reaper. I'm just so Evil I could Take His JobPosted ImagePosted ImagePosted ImagePosted ImagePosted Image

#7 Floyd

Floyd

• Pip
  • 9 posts
  • Interests:fishing,hiking,nature walks,history,reading,blogging,visiting Civil War Battle Sites,genealogy,camping

Posted 25 April 2006 - 12:45 PM

This place looks very spooky,,wow,that is all I can say.

#8 Tigger

Tigger

Junior Villager

• PipPip
  • 57 posts

Posted 25 April 2006 - 06:16 PM

Such a beautiful gothic building. I wish America took the time to perserve such places instead of knocking them down to put some cold and steel flashy building up. There won't be nothing of America's past left before too long.

But that is one rambling long building. I can imagine that anything is possible there it being a former insane asylum. It sorta reminds me of that one building for the insane that they did a while back on Ghost Hunters on SCIFI Channel. I can't think of the name of it though.

#9 rat girl

rat girl

Iron Strangler that feasts on beer!

• PipPipPipPip
  • 436 posts
  • Interests:my interests are reading, anything on the paranormal - checking out other peoples ghost photos and watching horror movie, reading anything by Richard Laymon, i like photoshop and other photograph program's. I live in Scotland with my partner, we have a mini zoo in our house. At the moment we have 4 rats, unfortunately 8 of our ratties have passed away, we also have 2 guinea pigs, a rabbit, a corn snake, a bearded dragon and 2 degus!!

Posted 05 June 2006 - 02:10 AM

what a lovely old building - i love reading about abandoned asylums, just thinking about the kind of things that went on in there, it would be brilliant to explore!!!!
Posted Image

#10 Vivienne_DuBois

Vivienne_DuBois

Village Elder

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 625 posts

Posted 05 June 2006 - 05:47 AM

Historic asylums have gotten more and more of my attention, lately. I've researched into dozens and dozens of these asylums (both TB and Psychiatric) in the American mid-west. Most are lost or at dire risk of being torn down. It is incredibly sad that these beacons of the past are being tossed away as they are. With each asylum lost, America loses an integral part of it's recent history.

BTW: the pictures are beautiful. It is an imposing-looking structure per the second postcard (reminds me more of a prison than an insane asylum). I really am keen on the first picture, though. Perhaps, it's the sepia tone of it, but it draws me in.

Viv

#11 TKE448

TKE448

Senior Villager

• PipPipPipPip
  • 431 posts

Posted 08 June 2006 - 04:56 PM

It sorta reminds me of that one building for the insane that they did a while back on Ghost Hunters on SCIFI Channel. I can't think of the name of it though.

Waverly Hills in Lousiville, KY...
A Drifter is only a poet with wings, he moves but he can't learn to fly, running in footsteps ahead of his time, with no one to see if he cries. Doyle Lawson & QuicksilverPosted ImagePosted Image

#12 LdySW357

LdySW357

Junior Villager

• PipPip
  • 20 posts
  • Interests:Obviously the paranormal...since I'm here. Other than that the usual such as my family, movies, music etc.

Posted 10 June 2006 - 12:32 AM

Do you know if they are letting any investigators in there? I live in Charleston and would love to check it out while it's still there.
Posted ImagePosted Image

#13 mamallama

mamallama

Junior Villager

• PipPip
  • 10 posts
  • Interests:art, creepy old buildings, abandoned buildings, history, reading, cooking, and whitewater rafting.

Posted 16 June 2006 - 02:45 PM

Hi, there! I'm also from WV -- Spencer, to be exact, and I am very interested in the Weston Asylum because Spencer used to be the home of an almost identical asylum. I think they tore that one down in '98.

I am so sad to hear that they might be tearing down the asylum. I was actually in Weston, yesterday, and wanted to stop by for a tour but was on a time crunch and didn't know the tour schedule.

Anyhoo... thanks for posting this! Cool board, BTW. I've never been here before -- just surfed in from a Google search about the asylum.

#14 okieboo

okieboo

Junior Villager

• PipPip
  • 16 posts

Posted 25 June 2006 - 07:49 PM

That looks like such a beautiful building. That would be such an interesting place to investigate. It reminds me of Waverly Hills. I wish America would focus more on preserving our history instead of making way for more parking lots and shopping centers. It seems like other parts of the world are more interested in making sure history doesn't become 'history.'

#15 Laurie Ann

Laurie Ann

Your imagination IS running off with you!

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,025 posts
  • Interests:I love to do yard work, re-arrange my home constantly, draw and get tattoos that have significant meaning to me, garage sales/yard sales fanatic. My home is haunted by I believe 2 spirits, so I'm never alone when everyone is asleep! I'm trying to label the gifts I have, although I try to keep them a secret from my husband..he wouldn't understand. My 20 year old is now living on his own and does so great! My 6 year old is a little me, and the baby will be 5 December. He's about 8-12 months behind, but that smile...that beautiful smile.

Posted 25 June 2006 - 07:57 PM

~I just loved the pics you posted!!! That building is absolutely beautiful...minus what happened in there back when. I wish people would just leave things alone!!! You know the old saying/song..."Don't know what you've got till it's gone". If people would exhirt the same energy in fixing up old buildings for the sake of History lovers, instead of tearing it down...it would be much more of a learning place for our future generations. Thank you for posting such nice pics of a beautiful building. :headbang:
~Women are angels...and when someone breaks our wings, we simply continue to fly...on a broomstick. We're flexible like that.~

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users