Photo

Central Michigan University

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 SpookySister26

SpookySister26

• Pip
  • 1 posts
  • Interests:Too many to name them all. I may tell you if you really want to know, and decide to ask.

Posted 18 April 2006 - 03:43 PM

There have been rumors that my sisters have heard from people that have actually gone into a certain structure at CMU, and have been scared, quite literally, half to death by some of the things that they have seen in this one building there. They told me the name of the so-called haunted building but it escapes me at the moment, but evidently some guy got beheaded by an elevator or something, and the hallway leading into this building has some creepy history to it as well.

#2 emsquared

emsquared

• Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 18 June 2006 - 05:33 PM

As a proud graduate of Central Michigan University, (GO CHIPS!!), I am happy to report that there are a few supposedly haunted buildings on campus. The one you refer to would be the Administration Building Warner Hall. It was a woman who was beheaded by the dumb waiter. I believe the hallway is on the third floor, but it has been a long time since I was on Maroon and Gold ground. There has also been things that have happened in the auditorium of the building also. :whoohoo:

#3 randystreu

randystreu

Village Elder

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 846 posts
  • Interests:video, paintball, theology, philosophy, political science, sci-fi, and so on, and so forth...

Posted 18 June 2006 - 05:48 PM

I believe the building that was supposed to have been haunted several years ago has been torn down, if memory serves (my brother-in-law went there); but the story surrounding the haunting was the stuff of urban legend (you know... girl hangs self, roommate discovers body, goes nuts... standard fare).

All campuses have buildings that are supposed to be haunted... someday i'd like to see a list compiled of every buildng, along with the stories that go with them... just to compare and contrast.

it seems to be that college campuses are breeding grounds for urban myth... which isn't to say there's nothing there (there could very well be), but there is a high probability that it has more to do with campus culture than anything else. :whoohoo:

maybe we can do that here....
okay... making a new topic:

Edited by randystreu, 18 June 2006 - 05:49 PM.

#4 emsquared

emsquared

• Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 18 June 2006 - 06:10 PM

The one that was torn down was Barnard Hall. Beddow and Cobb Hall have also been rumored to have ghosts. Here is a website that has everything you could possibly want to know about CMU's ghosts: http://listen.to/legends/ :whoohoo:

#5 randystreu

randystreu

Village Elder

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 846 posts
  • Interests:video, paintball, theology, philosophy, political science, sci-fi, and so on, and so forth...

Posted 19 June 2006 - 06:13 AM

That's right... it was.
But the legends link is right... barnes had the hanging girl.... barnard was the roommate that never woke up.

ahh... campus legend.
love it.

Edited by randystreu, 19 June 2006 - 06:16 AM.

#6 TBONE

TBONE

• Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 26 January 2007 - 09:58 AM

That's right... it was.
But the legends link is right... barnes had the hanging girl.... barnard was the roommate that never woke up.

ahh... campus legend.
love it.

I attended CMU in the early and mid 90's. Barnard and I believe Tate Hall were the most haunted dorm's on campus. They were condemned in the 80's and were no longer used, I believe it was the electrical work that was no longer up to code, and required too much money to fix.

The girl that died in Barnard Hall, was the famous ghost Caroline Corey (not sure on the spelling). In the 50's this all girl floor (believe it was the 4th floor), had it's annual floor picnic off campus. Ms. Corey did not attend as she was displaying flu like symptoms. When her roommates returned, Ms Corey was dead. No fool play was suspect and natural causes were warranted in her death.

After her death multiple students claimed to see a white dressed female wondering the halls late at night. One student reported a female specter floating over her in one of the floors study rooms. More impressive displays of un-natural activity, during my tenor at CMU the attic window would be open on nights of a full moon, but closed when the moon was not full (keep in mind this dorm was sealed shut). Legend had it that the ghost of Caroline Corey would roam the campus on night's of a full moon.

Central Michigan University has a tunnel system underneath it, and a group of friends and I managed to gain access to this tunnel system through one of the man holes on campus. We got into Barnard Hall and entered through the basement. It was pretty creepy, with Xmas decorations displaying 1980's dates and boxes of t-shirts. We walked through the dorm and the cafeteria was still set up to receive meals (meaning salt and pepper shakers still on tables, with table clothes and chairs). We roamed the 4th floor, but never saw or heard anything. But yet a feeling of not being quite alone was admitted by our whole group. But I think we were feeding on each other's fears.

The hall was torn down I believe in '96 or '97, to make room for a new parking lot. Kind of sad as part of the campus history was lost.

Since the building was removed, activity of the ghost has declined.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users