Click Here To Visit Our Sponsor

Photo

Ghost hunter vs Paranormal Investigator (researcher)

• Please log in to reply
69 replies to this topic

#16 Karra

Karra

Junior Villager

• PipPip
  • 38 posts
  • Interests:[X]Ghosts<br />[X]Spirits<br />[X]Cemeteries<br />[X]Japanese<br />[X]Gypsies<br />[X]Magic

Posted 01 May 2006 - 07:29 AM

Spooks..I agree with you to a point. We are stuck being called ghosthunters by OTHERS, but that's not what bothers me. It bothers me when people who take this serious call themselves ghosthunters. People who caLL themselves ghosthunters will never get my full respect....because that tells me they do not value themselves, or they are true HOBBY HUNTERS.

We who do this for the right reasons need to stand together. We are here to further the science, and most of all to help people. Hobvby hunters will never help people.

Erm... I just want to say to that that... I call myself a Ghost Hunter, because I hunt areas where ghosts may be, I want to find some for real -- to actually kind of prove to myself that all these years I haven't been reading about some cotton-ear poo that isn't even real.

I believe Ghost Hunters is just the samething as everything else, its just a simplified word of Paranormal Investigator -- you know, for us ignorant, none-helping-other-people people. Posted Image

Sorry, tripping over myself. I just really don't think there is anything wrong with people calling themselves "Ghost Hunters", I mean, Paranormal Investigator. Okay, come on. Investigator pretty much hunts down the truth, figures out things, so they are hunting for something, and Paranormal, summoned up, can mean ghosts... well, strange occurances, I believe thats what it says in the dictionary.

I just had to say that... cause I really didn't think that was completely truthful. So, theres my idea.

-Karra, Over and Out

PS: I know everyone else also said something about this, this is just my idea -- everyone else probably makes more sense then my jabbering self.Posted Image

"There is no noise in my ears. There is no breath hin my lungs, even the slight mewl that had once was pushed out of my lungs has dissapeared. My paws are cold, and they do not move. My eyes are closed and they will not open. I cannot see. I cannot hear. I cannot think straight... where am I? And then it seems to come so quickly, I fear the result, but the words are here... I hear them sifting over me;I am dead."Posted Image

#17 nnyprs

nnyprs

Senior Villager

• PipPipPipPip
  • 327 posts
  • Interests:All things paranormal.

Posted 01 May 2006 - 07:38 AM

I'm glad every one has their two cents on this topic. I'm just surprised more people didn't agree with me. I'm fine with that. I think you all had some very valid points. Thanks for sharing.
The Northern New York Paranormal Research SocietySEEK TRUTH!!!The NNYPRS Discussion ForumSEEK TRUTH!!![url=http://www.blogtalkradio.com/NNYPRS[/url]SEEK TRUTH!!!Posted Image

#18 spooksareus

spooksareus

Graceful leader of men who harvests wheat

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,003 posts
  • Interests:Healthy friends, supernatural science (oxy morans, lol!), cooking &amp; baking, all animals, playing music (mostly jazz), art (all mediums), interesting &amp; open minded people, truth, justice and liberal politics...

Posted 01 May 2006 - 01:04 PM

I'm sure a lot of people do, and I totally understand your feelings about.

Spooks "The Cook"

Spooks..I agree with you to a point. We are stuck being called ghosthunters by OTHERS, but that's not what bothers me. It bothers me when people who take this serious call themselves ghosthunters. People who caLL themselves ghosthunters will never get my full respect....because that tells me they do not value themselves, or they are true HOBBY HUNTERS.

We who do this for the right reasons need to stand together. We are here to further the science, and most of all to help people. Hobvby hunters will never help people.

Erm... I just want to say to that that... I call myself a Ghost Hunter, because I hunt areas where ghosts may be, I want to find some for real -- to actually kind of prove to myself that all these years I haven't been reading about some cotton-ear poo that isn't even real.

I believe Ghost Hunters is just the samething as everything else, its just a simplified word of Paranormal Investigator -- you know, for us ignorant, none-helping-other-people people. Posted Image

Sorry, tripping over myself. I just really don't think there is anything wrong with people calling themselves "Ghost Hunters", I mean, Paranormal Investigator. Okay, come on. Investigator pretty much hunts down the truth, figures out things, so they are hunting for something, and Paranormal, summoned up, can mean ghosts... well, strange occurances, I believe thats what it says in the dictionary.

I just had to say that... cause I really didn't think that was completely truthful. So, theres my idea.

-Karra, Over and Out

PS: I know everyone else also said something about this, this is just my idea -- everyone else probably makes more sense then my jabbering self.Posted Image

Jabber away pumpkin, you make perfect sense...

"It is perfectly monstrous the way people go about, nowadays, saying things against one behind one's back that are absolutely and entirely true." -Oscar Wilde “The Picture of Dorian Gray”

#19 Mack Macy

Mack Macy

• Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 01 May 2006 - 08:12 PM

Semantics. Though I can see where some people in the field are put off by the term. It's like a degreed engineer being stuck with the title "Maintenance Technician."

Still, semantics.

#20 dan_nwmps

dan_nwmps

Junior Villager

• PipPip
  • 114 posts

Posted 01 May 2006 - 10:10 PM

"Ghost Buster" that one sends shivers down my spine everytime somebody says it. When that term is used people picture us with proton packs.
We go by paranormal investigators usualy .. but ghost hunter doesnt bother me as much as it used to before the sci fi show.
I like investigator because thats what we do .. we enter peoples homes or business and investigate them trying to find natural causes first. We do not go in hunting for ghosts but looking for answers and explanations.
In my opinion there is a diference between ghost hunter and paranormal investigators and there should be a line so people know what to expect from the group of people on thier property.
There have been a few reports ltely of amature hunters crossing the line and doing private homes of strangers with little or no knowledge of how to deal with the people that expect help, or have proper protocols for such an investigation.

Edited by dan_nwmps, 01 May 2006 - 10:11 PM.

"Minds are like parachutes. They only function when they are open."Lord Thomas DewarPosted Image

#21 Grim Undertakings

Grim Undertakings

Voted most likely to be a janitor in Highschool

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,654 posts

Posted 02 May 2006 - 12:55 AM

First of all, excellent topic, and thank you for starting this thread.

Grim Undertakings considers itself to be a "research team". We don't refer to ourselves as "paranormal investigators" because "paranormal" encompassess many unexplained phenomena whereas we are only interested in ghosts. However, if you use this term, that is cool because this is only our personal preference. We don't mind "ghost hunter" so much anymore. Afterall, we are to a certain extent "looking" but not necessarily "hunting" for ghosts. Even if it is something you can only do on the weekend, there's nothing wrong with that, because, afterall, there have been discoveries in astronomy due to Joe, with his telescope in the back yard, on a Saturday night.
Just don't call yourself a "parapsychologist"!! I hope I spelled that right because it is late. There are only a bunch of "true" parapsychologists in the world. Just because you completed a two hour online test, this does not make you a parapsychologist in my opinion. This is a real job and people make their living studying the subject, mostly at select Universities. I wouldn't go to a dentist who became one after just two hours on the internet!! ;)

On our business cards we have: "Grim Undertakings -- Studying apparitions and related phenomena since 2002". We believe this pretty much sums up in a nutshell what we're all about.

Just don't call us "ghostbusters". :P

#22 Grim Undertakings

Grim Undertakings

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,654 posts

Posted 02 May 2006 - 01:08 AM

I should add that as far as "thrill seekers" go and anyone else who makes us look bad (I'm talking about the "Let's get stoned and break into that old hospital so we can see a ghost" people or the "we can make money doing this!" people), there are always going to be people like this around. However, there may be more at this particular time, due to the huge popularity of ghosts in mainstream society at the moment. Shows that make it seem like, every time you go somewhere bundles of occurences will happen, aren't helping this either (and I'm not referring to all the ghost shows on t.v., but you can probably guess the ones I'm talking about).
Besides, people who are serious about ghost research know that this doesn't happen. The majority of the time ghost research can be very uneventful. But we enjoy it, and that is why we do it. Once "thrill seekers" realize that there is no guaranteed "thrill" and "money seekers" realize there's no money in it, they'll probably find something else to do. Meanwhile, we'll continue to seriously, and respectively, go about our ghostly business. :P :Spaz: ;)

#23 ecpitghosthunters.com

ecpitghosthunters.com

Junior Villager

• PipPip
  • 37 posts

Posted 02 May 2006 - 04:22 AM

This has bothered me for the longest time. I have put forth this arguement before, and I am expecting the usual banter in return to this, but understand what I am saying. I'll start with the end, because I'm different like that.

The difference: Respect for the living and the science.

People who are ghosthunters "hunt" for ghosts. First, a few of the predominant definitons for hunt 1.To pursue (game) for food or sport 2.To pursue intensively so as to capture or kill 3.To drive out forcibly, especially by harassing; chase away So when looking at these definitions, what is a ghost hunter? Second, the majority of ghost hunters....what is your goal? To see, or to expereince, or to photograph, or to redord audio of a ghost. What happens when you go into a place and things get really bad? Most ghosthunters "cut and run". Like one of TAPS' motto, "Dude...Run!!!" This shows a total disrespect for the people who are living on the premises.

Now for the science...there are many many groups out there who take this serious. We are trying to further the science, to prove what we have witnessed with our own eyes. We are curious by nature, and we seek truth. Ghosthunters....just want the thrill of seeing or recording in some way a ghost.

In my opinion, ghost hunters are equivalant to hobby hunters. "Let's go see a ghost!!" Let's go to this graveyard and get some cool pictures and make a lot of money!!!"

If you take what you do seriously...please...for the rest of us...stop calling yourself a ghost hunter. Take the step up to the next level and be a researcher. Further the science. SEEK TRUTH!!!

You've only seemed to of used the definition of a hunter in your opinion and left out the definition of a ghost...

GHOST

Soul, Spirit, Demon, is in the dictionary.

Ghosthunters research all, Inhuman, Spirits & Demons, not just ghost as people may think, ghost means Soul, Spirit & Demon, we all are seeking the truth in our own ways, some just do it different then others, as to why there's such an argument, well its because people with this kind of attitude who think everyone should follow their opinions or suggestions or they are less then, or below ones standards, this kind of mind frame doesn't say much for being a leader, other then they are being judgmental, that would be like saying everyone in fact aren't any good unless they are called a researcher, not all people call themselves a researcher, it really doesn't matter what a group calls themselves, as long as we're all in the same field, researching,ghosthunting the truth is all that matters. Some people seem to have a harder time taking ghosthunters seriously.

Ghost Hunters DO NOT just do it for the sport, to me that's just being down right opinionated, and dose not hold up as truth, A researcher only acts upon a scientific fact from what I've read in your opinion & not a ghosthunter, which is a false statement, Ghosthunters DO take their work seriously just as much as someone who calls themselves a researcher,"there is the meaning of Ghost in the dictionary, so that it hasn't been left it out in any argument, you may see that we deal with all of the paranormal in this field, other then something small, and we do collect evidence for facts, for the same scientific reason others do. We all want proof to show everyone it's out there it exist. My point is there are ghosthunters who do take this seriously & the name has nothing to do with to do with this. Nor dose it mean that a ghosthunter is below someone who calls themselves a researcher. It only means that a ghosthunter's name isn't clear unless one reads what their protocols are, then again, someone could take the word researcher as a scientific point of view, when scientist try to disprove that paranormal doesn't exist, unless then again, reading their protocols.

Another thing is, our investigation team doesn't charge for any investigation. You've seem to put everyone in your own little box so to speak, when everyone has their own protocols.

#24 krcguns

krcguns

Village Elder

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,206 posts
  • Interests:Well....investigating ghosts and finding out what lies beyond this life of course!

Posted 02 May 2006 - 08:12 AM

"Ghost Buster" that one sends shivers down my spine everytime somebody says it. When that term is used people picture us with proton packs.
We go by paranormal investigators usualy .. but ghost hunter doesnt bother me as much as it used to before the sci fi show.
I like investigator because thats what we do .. we enter peoples homes or business and investigate them trying to find natural causes first. We do not go in hunting for ghosts but looking for answers and explanations.
In my opinion there is a diference between ghost hunter and paranormal investigators and there should be a line so people know what to expect from the group of people on thier property.
There have been a few reports ltely of amature hunters crossing the line and doing private homes of strangers with little or no knowledge of how to deal with the people that expect help, or have proper protocols for such an investigation.

You know Dan, the reason you give is my main reason too but in the opposite. I never used to be bugged by the term "ghost hunter" really until the sci-fi show came out and I saw what they were about. Now that I have seen them falsify evidence and really show that their knowledge of the paranormal is so limited, the term really bothers me. I also hate it when people say "oh, you guys are like those taps people"...uuuugh. No, we know what we are doing.
Posted ImagePosted ImagePosted ImagePosted Image

#25 dan_nwmps

dan_nwmps

Junior Villager

• PipPip
  • 114 posts

Posted 02 May 2006 - 04:17 PM

I agree with that. but I only meant that alot more people started using the term ghost hunters because of the show. It doesnt really bother me what people call us., Although i do try and correct them the first time or 2.

Like the last few weeks people had problems with spirits the 2 leaders come in show them the evidence. and how do they help?? They say "oh you will get used to it" you take charge" then they leave and get ready for next weeks show. I realize sometimes thats all you CAN do .. but most of the time there is more can be done to help the client. But this is anther topic .. dont want to derail the main topic..What does bother me is people use them as a frame of reference for what they expect from all groups when to tell the truth most groups will help you much more and do a much more thorough investigation mostly because we dont have to film so many shows in such and such time and can go back and spend more time at each site.

Edited by dan_nwmps, 02 May 2006 - 04:17 PM.

"Minds are like parachutes. They only function when they are open."Lord Thomas DewarPosted Image

#26 spooksareus

spooksareus

Graceful leader of men who harvests wheat

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,003 posts
  • Interests:Healthy friends, supernatural science (oxy morans, lol!), cooking &amp; baking, all animals, playing music (mostly jazz), art (all mediums), interesting &amp; open minded people, truth, justice and liberal politics...

Posted 02 May 2006 - 05:39 PM

Just don't call us "ghostbusters".

Hey Grim,
How about a little Ghost-rustling? Hehehehehe.....

"It is perfectly monstrous the way people go about, nowadays, saying things against one behind one's back that are absolutely and entirely true." -Oscar Wilde “The Picture of Dorian Gray”

#27 Grim Undertakings

Grim Undertakings

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,654 posts

Posted 02 May 2006 - 06:31 PM

LOL!

Seriously though, we don't rid places of ghosts. We always tell people up front that we do not do this and are only interested in documenting phenomena that is caused by ghosts. This way, if they're looking to rid themselves of a ghost, at least we know that we didn't mislead them. :)

#28 feusurlaneige

feusurlaneige

Not a very good "ghost" detective!

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,248 posts

Posted 02 May 2006 - 06:54 PM

Just don't call us "ghostbusters". :)

Hey Grim....................."GHOSTBUSTER!!!!!!!!!!!!" :) lolllllllllllll ;)

Its ok , you can call me a "Ghosty"

You see in Aussie Lingo we like to end everything with a 'o' or 'y'

You have a postman...posty
Football...footy
Sick day....sicky
Bricklayer...bricky
Ghost Investigator....Ghosty

or

Surname Donnelly...Donno
Christian name Dave....Davo
ambulance...ambo
garbage collector....garbo

Edited by feusurlaneige, 02 May 2006 - 06:56 PM.

#29 CajunKnight

CajunKnight

Village Elder

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,504 posts

Posted 02 May 2006 - 07:01 PM

Now lets look at the words you chose,

Hunt - to search for something

Research which falls back to the word search - an effort to find or discover something

You can use the terminology of your choice. Thats why it is called a choice. Now I do agree with what you are saying though.

The terminlogy will be dependent upon who you are talking to. If you use the words "paranormal investigator" you will confuse or scare off some. If you use the words "ghost hunter" you still confront the same situation. I refer to myself as a paranormal investigator, I am seeking the truth of what is there and seek the evidence to prove it.

The thrill seeker I have no use for and will avoid at all cost. I won't squabble over terminology. You are a house wife or a domestic engineer. You are a custodian or a janitor. You are a mechanic or an automotive technician. You can't class one above or better than the other because of terminology. You are a ghost hunter or a paranormal researcher, in the end what is the difference as long as you are not a thrill seeker. Now lets be honest for a sec, you wouldnt be in this field unless you got a thrill or adrenaline rush or some kind of pleasure out of it now would you?
Welcome to ghostvillage, home of 24,000+ smiling faces and a few old grouches."Some things have to be believed to be seen"Ralph Hodgson

#30 Anomaly

Anomaly

Junior Villager

• PipPip
  • 75 posts
  • Interests:The Occult, Paranormal investigation/research/studies, mediumship, free-lance photography, writing (short stories, poetry), hiking, horticulture, music, baseball, tennis, animal welfare, counceling....to name a few of the more important. *wink*

Posted 02 May 2006 - 10:36 PM

hee hee..that reminds me, I am a veterinary technician but also an animal behaviorist. I was once called a "pet shrink"! :Spaz:
Posted ImageThere was something awesome in the thought of the solitary mortal standing by the open window and summoning in from the gloom outside the spirits of the nether world.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users