Click Here To Visit Our Sponsor

Photo

Ghost hunter vs Paranormal Investigator (researcher)

• Please log in to reply
69 replies to this topic

#31 ecpitghosthunters.com

ecpitghosthunters.com

Junior Villager

• PipPip
  • 37 posts

Posted 02 May 2006 - 11:53 PM

Now lets look at the words you chose,

Hunt - to search for something

Research which falls back to the word search - an effort to find or discover something

You can use the terminology of your choice. Thats why it is called a choice. Now I do agree with what you are saying though.

The terminlogy will be dependent upon who you are talking to. If you use the words "paranormal investigator" you will confuse or scare off some. If you use the words "ghost hunter" you still confront the same situation. I refer to myself as a paranormal investigator, I am seeking the truth of what is there and seek the evidence to prove it.

The thrill seeker I have no use for and will avoid at all cost. I won't squabble over terminology. You are a house wife or a domestic engineer. You are a custodian or a janitor. You are a mechanic or an automotive technician. You can't class one above or better than the other because of terminology. You are a ghost hunter or a paranormal researcher, in the end what is the difference as long as you are not a thrill seeker. Now lets be honest for a sec, you wouldnt be in this field unless you got a thrill or adrenaline rush or some kind of pleasure out of it now would you?

Seems to me there are a great number of people or groups in this field, some seem to fear that other teams are getting too much attention. I think, and I am sure you agree, that because of what we all are doing, we should be supporting each other and sharing information, asset is for the greater good, and not about the team that finds evidence or what we call ourselves. Keep up the good work is my support to all Paranormal Investigators, nomatter what you call yourselves!!! We should all be working together for the greater good but until that day comes we will just continue doing what we do and see where we end up!!!

As for me, I moved to New York in 1990 and became interested in the paranormal after personal experiences of my own. That interest grew and has lead me to do some amateur investigating on my own. One thing you will find as an amateur investigator is that you cannot gain access to many places on your own. This is where becoming part of a credible organization comes in handy. when I became aware of the East Coast Paranormal Investigation Team (ECPIT) It was then I decided that my ultimate goal would be to become part of this team. Now after becoming a new member, "I can only give my special thanks to the ECPIT family for giving me this great opportunity.

It is an adrenaline rush working in this field & I'm hooked, I admit it, I can't get enough, I get excited whenever I come in contact with any paranormal activity, I want to capture all the evidence I can get!

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

#32 dan_nwmps

dan_nwmps

Junior Villager

• PipPip
  • 114 posts

Posted 03 May 2006 - 04:24 PM

We have gotten a few cases from thrill seekers so I dont mind them.
Somebody has to find the out of the way haunted places =P
A person cant really discount what they are doing either as long as it is harmless to others and they respect the sites and spirits. In a way we are all sort of thrill seekers when we do this. But alot of us do not do it solely for thrill thats just a small bonus.
It doesnt bother me at all if other groups inthe field are getting more attention thats not what i got into this for. I strongly agree we should be working together and sharing information .. I feel that most groups do share information with others I know I enjoy presenting evidence to get others views and thought on what i have captured to try and help explain the unexplainable.
"Minds are like parachutes. They only function when they are open."Lord Thomas DewarPosted Image

#33 Grim Undertakings

Grim Undertakings

Voted most likely to be a janitor in Highschool

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,654 posts

Posted 03 May 2006 - 05:47 PM

Well said, Dan. :clap: :Spaz:

#34 spooksareus

spooksareus

Graceful leader of men who harvests wheat

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,003 posts
  • Interests:Healthy friends, supernatural science (oxy morans, lol!), cooking & baking, all animals, playing music (mostly jazz), art (all mediums), interesting & open minded people, truth, justice and liberal politics...

Posted 03 May 2006 - 05:56 PM

A person cant really discount what they are doing either as long as it is harmless to others and they respect the sites and spirits. In a way we are all sort of thrill seekers when we do this. But alot of us do not do it solely for thrill thats just a small bonus.
It doesnt bother me at all if other groups inthe field are getting more attention thats not what i got into this for. I strongly agree we should be working together and sharing information .. I feel that most groups do share information with others I know I enjoy presenting evidence to get others views and thought on what i have captured to try and help explain the unexplainable.

Nope, I'm taking my orb and going home!

Just kiddin' Dan, I agree of course...

"It is perfectly monstrous the way people go about, nowadays, saying things against one behind one's back that are absolutely and entirely true." -Oscar Wilde “The Picture of Dorian Gray”

#35 juliet_keller

juliet_keller

Village Elder

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,841 posts
  • Interests:Nursing, Softball, Kids, and My Man

Posted 03 May 2006 - 06:01 PM

Wow, after reading all this you guys are giving me a headache! :Wall: So, I do have to put in my two cents, I'm having to go with Krc on this one....(no throwing tomatoes anyone). Seriously, you can go get any equipment anywhere online or at a store and unless you properly know how to use it, you can pick up any falsified information. Then you also have to look at all your research aspect, there is a lot of historical information that has to be done on investigations to be documented on a haunting to verify existence of substantial people, occurances and dates. (We have spent months on one place doing that alone) Don't even get me started on calculating on the research data on an outside investigation. There is definately a big difference between the terms "ghost hunter" and "paranormal investigator", the only thing that I can say that is about the same is pay rate...lol!!! Julie
You know our love was meant to be, the kind of love that lasts foreverAnd I want you here with, from tonight until the end of time,You're the meaning in my life, You're the inspiration,You bring feeling to my life, You're the inspiration,No one needs you more than I need you...You're the Inspiration~ChicagoI Love You, Baby!Julie and Dave are "The Spirit Stalkers of Ohio"www.thespiritstalkersofohio.webs.comCome see what we are all about, our galleries of evidence, and we would love for you to sign our guest book!

#36 spooksareus

spooksareus

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,003 posts
  • Interests:Healthy friends, supernatural science (oxy morans, lol!), cooking & baking, all animals, playing music (mostly jazz), art (all mediums), interesting & open minded people, truth, justice and liberal politics...

Posted 03 May 2006 - 06:11 PM

Well, at least the pay scale is better for a chef than for a "cook" :Wall:

"It is perfectly monstrous the way people go about, nowadays, saying things against one behind one's back that are absolutely and entirely true." -Oscar Wilde “The Picture of Dorian Gray”

#37 ecpitghosthunters.com

ecpitghosthunters.com

Junior Villager

• PipPip
  • 37 posts

Posted 04 May 2006 - 12:44 AM

I agree with that. but I only meant that alot more people started using the term ghost hunters because of the show. It doesnt really bother me what people call us., Although i do try and correct them the first time or 2.

Like the last few weeks people had problems with spirits the 2 leaders come in show them the evidence. and how do they help?? They say "oh you will get used to it" you take charge" then they leave and get ready for next weeks show. I realize sometimes thats all you CAN do .. but most of the time there is more can be done to help the client. But this is anther topic .. dont want to derail the main topic..What does bother me is people use them as a frame of reference for what they expect from all groups when to tell the truth most groups will help you much more and do a much more thorough investigation mostly because we dont have to film so many shows in such and such time and can go back and spend more time at each site.

Yeah I agree with you, there seems to be a lot more people using the term ghosthunters in their title. It really doesn't bother me to be honest. We don't even use the title ghosthunters, lol! We are called the East Coast Paranormal Investigation Team. We do use ecpitghosthunters.com for our e-mails and the URL search for our web site. Thus the reason I chose to use this as my screen name here.

I also agree with you, there are times when people can be helped more, speaking for groups who don't care to take the time. I don't feel it's right to just research for only the proof, "if" that's all they're doing. In my opinion, there are times when people can be helped out, "in some cases." If the investigators can, they "should" offer more to meet people's needs, not just pack up and go after making these people feel like there's nothing more that can be done.

In my opinion, in some of these cases, there are options when it comes to spirits, depending on the type. If its a human spirit, there are some that can be helped to move on if the spirit is willing. Or an inhuman, it could be ridden from peoples homes. How ever, these are just my beliefs!

The only advice I try to give people when and if searching for a group, is to find out what their protocols are, and will the group meet their needs. Thus someone who seeks help with the spirit (s) and not just needing proof. When in fact there are groups who are really wonderful, very helpful for those who are in need. These people who are seeking help, need to realize their are groups out there who do care. So I only recommend people to chose wisely. This way, they are happy with the investigation team they've chosen, and not be left disappointed. It's kinda like reading the back of the igredience on a label, lol! Okay, I'm done derailing the topic here, lol!

Posted Image

Posted Image

Elmer's lil Devil!

Posted Image

Posted Image

#38 ecpitghosthunters.com

ecpitghosthunters.com

Junior Villager

• PipPip
  • 37 posts

Posted 04 May 2006 - 01:38 AM

The Difference Between Ghosthunters & Researchers

Quote: The biggest difference is that ghost hunters go to haunted places to find a ghost or two and a paranormal investigator looks for all the other explanations first then decides it is a ghost.

In my opinion, there are some good ghosthunters out there, I just don't feel they should be picked on, is all I'm saying.

Posted Image

#39 ecpitghosthunters.com

ecpitghosthunters.com

Junior Villager

• PipPip
  • 37 posts

Posted 04 May 2006 - 06:02 AM

Oh, I'm not just a thrill seeker, lol! Thats only part of the fun. Elmer " Our Founder " is certified as a paranormal investigator and a ghost researcher. We have a "really" fun group, I enjoy this as a hobby, as well as helping others, working in this kind of field is a pleasure for me. I could go on and on, but, I think you get my drift. *Blinks*

Posted Image

#40 DukeofBoogie

DukeofBoogie

Did the Time Warp at his wedding!

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,274 posts
  • Interests:The Paranormal, Rock music, Movies, History (Especially the American Civil War), and spending time with my wife and daughter.

Posted 04 May 2006 - 06:17 AM

Where does one get certified as a paranormal investigator/ghost researcher?
http://www.facebook....59567008?v=wallhttp://www.cdbaby.co...eblackriverboyshttp://www.zoarcivilwar.com/In great deeds something abides. On great fields something stays.....Spirits linger, to consecrate ground for the vision place of souls. And reverent men and women from afar, and generations that know us not and that we know not of, heart-drawn to where and by whom great things were suffered and done for them, shall come to this deathless field, to ponder and dream; and lo! The shadow of a mighty presence shall wrap them in its bosom, and the power of the vision pass into thier soles.-Joshua Lawrence Chamberlain

I've been hit byPosted Image mrsspookypants

#41 ecpitghosthunters.com

ecpitghosthunters.com

Junior Villager

• PipPip
  • 37 posts

Posted 04 May 2006 - 06:27 AM

You can get certified as a paranormal investigator/ghost researcher through groups who offer this kind of certification. Such as TAPS, IGHS are just a couple out of many groups who offer this. You can check around to find out what group suits you best and offer these classes.

#42 spooksareus

spooksareus

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,003 posts

Posted 04 May 2006 - 09:03 AM

You can get certified as a paranormal investigator/ghost researcher through groups who offer this kind of certification. Such as TAPS, IGHS are just a couple out of many groups who offer this. You can check around to find out what group suits you best and offer these classes.

Worthless paper that will set you back $300.00 from IGHS :Spaz:
Don't know about TAPS :ghost: :ghost: :ghost: :ghost: :ghost:

#43 Grim Undertakings

Grim Undertakings

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,654 posts

Posted 04 May 2006 - 10:50 AM

I have to agree. There are many "certifications" on the internet to be a ghost hunter/researcher/consultant/buster or whatever.

I believe that the only people who are certified are the handful of parapsychologists in the world who have Doctorates in other disciplines (such as psychology) that they apply to the field of parapsychology. Just because you have a high-powered telescope, and you stare gaze from your backyard, doesn't mean you work for NASA.
And that's all we ghost researchers/hunters are: backyard star gazers. We may know a lot about stars, but that doesn't make us certified in anything.

I can't wait 'till our website is finished....... :ghost: :ghost:

#44 Grim Undertakings

Grim Undertakings

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,654 posts

Posted 04 May 2006 - 12:31 PM

This was supposed to be a part of the above post, but my "edit" timed out! :ghost:

Grim Undertakings also does not "rid" places of ghosts either. We have no qualifications to do this. How would we?! That is why we tell people from the beginning that we are only there to observe, and if they need further help, they should contact a priest or someone else who is trained and certified to bless or cleanse a place.
Afterall, we're not "ghostbusters" and we wouldn't want to make a haunting possibly worse by trying to rid a place of a ghost since we are not trained in this area. If anyone arrived at my property saying that they could rid it of it's ghost(s), I personally would like to see some credentials to back this up. Something from a recognized institution of learning (like a University), and not some "diploma" off of the internet. I find this somewhat misleading. And what do we say when people ask Grim Undertakings for their credentials? We have none. We don't want to mislead people into thinking that we are something that we are not. We are like bird-watchers in contrast to Ornithologists. :ghost:

#45 krcguns

krcguns

Village Elder

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,206 posts
  • Interests:Well....investigating ghosts and finding out what lies beyond this life of course!

Posted 04 May 2006 - 01:45 PM

This was supposed to be a part of the above post, but my "edit" timed out! :ghost:

Grim Undertakings also does not "rid" places of ghosts either. We have no qualifications to do this. How would we?! That is why we tell people from the beginning that we are only there to observe, and if they need further help, they should contact a priest or someone else who is trained and certified to bless or cleanse a place.
Afterall, we're not "ghostbusters" and we wouldn't want to make a haunting possibly worse by trying to rid a place of a ghost since we are not trained in this area. If anyone arrived at my property saying that they could rid it of it's ghost(s), I personally would like to see some credentials to back this up. Something from a recognized institution of learning (like a University), and not some "diploma" off of the internet. I find this somewhat misleading. And what do we say when people ask Grim Undertakings for their credentials? We have none. We don't want to mislead people into thinking that we are something that we are not. We are like bird-watchers in contrast to Ornithologists. :ghost:

I disagree Grim...we get rid of spirits where possible all the time. It is not 100% fool proof nor is it any guarantee. We are very upfront about this to the clients but we do have a very high success rate.

One example is an investigation and cleansing we did a few weeks ago in a house in Duluth, MN. The husband contacted me stating that his new wife was terrified of the house. They had all kinds of weird and scary things going on like microwave running without time on it, baby toys playing by themselves, the new wife being pushed almost down the stairs, voices in her ear, the baby would wake up at 3:00 am every night screaming bloody murder...it was so bad they couldn't stay in the house. We investigated, collected some great evidence and then set to cleansing the house. Myself and Christy did the cleansing. I talked to the husband a couple of days later and the reports were excellent! Then I talked with him last week and the reports are still excellent. The baby sleeps all night and has every night since we left, there are no more bad feelings and they all feel safe in the house.

I don't believe that there is any need for cridentials or diplomas to do this...just the right tools and knowledge. You don't have to be a certified mechanic to work on your car either, the right tools and the right knowlege and you can do it yourself.
Posted ImagePosted ImagePosted ImagePosted Image

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users