Free Skins
© Fisana

Photo

Ghost hunter vs Paranormal Investigator (researcher)

• Please log in to reply
69 replies to this topic

#46 Grim Undertakings

Grim Undertakings

Voted most likely to be a janitor in Highschool

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,654 posts

Posted 04 May 2006 - 02:29 PM

.....but someone else working on my car........

I see what you are saying, Krc, but I guess I'll have to agree to disagree with you on this one. :ghost:

#47 dan_nwmps

dan_nwmps

Junior Villager

• PipPip
  • 114 posts

Posted 04 May 2006 - 03:45 PM

You can get certified as a paranormal investigator/ghost researcher through groups who offer this kind of certification. Such as TAPS, IGHS are just a couple out of many groups who offer this. You can check around to find out what group suits you best and offer these classes.

There is nothing groups such as taps and ighs can teach you thatyou cannot learn on your own by reading books and articles written by people with years of experience.. dont waste your money.
"Minds are like parachutes. They only function when they are open."Lord Thomas DewarPosted Image

#48 damckie

damckie

My innersoul rides on a big fluffy cloud....

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,113 posts
  • Interests:Ghost Hunting!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Hanging with my best friend and soulmate

Posted 04 May 2006 - 04:09 PM

Do you go and try to shoot a ghost and try to kill it? They call it deer hunting, right? Paranormal investigator all the way! A ghost hunter, what is that? Dave
Two hearts drawn together bound by destiny. Every road leads to your door...."Will you still love me?" By Chicago. Love is the reason we'll never be alone. In love, in love.... "I believe." By Chicago. I LOVE YOU JULIET!!! The Spirit Stalker of Ohio "BREAK ON THROUGH TO THE OTHER SIDE" The Doors! GOOD DAVE HUNTING

#49 Grim Undertakings

Grim Undertakings

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,654 posts

Posted 04 May 2006 - 04:50 PM

You can get certified as a paranormal investigator/ghost researcher through groups who offer this kind of certification. Such as TAPS, IGHS are just a couple out of many groups who offer this. You can check around to find out what group suits you best and offer these classes.

There is nothing groups such as taps and ighs can teach you thatyou cannot learn on your own by reading books and articles written by people with years of experience.. dont waste your money.

As much as I like the TAPS guys, I fully agree with you on this one. Ghost research, in my opinion, at least at the moment, is a self-taught thing. Unless, of course, you're going to go through all of the proper avenues, say at the University of Edinburgh for example, to obtain an actual degree in Parapsychology. But even this entails a lot of other combined disciplines such as Psychology.

Just my thoughts. :headbang:

**merging your "guest" post, Grim.**

Edited by MoonChild, 04 May 2006 - 05:02 PM.

#50 ecpitghosthunters.com

ecpitghosthunters.com

Junior Villager

• PipPip
  • 37 posts

Posted 04 May 2006 - 08:18 PM

This was supposed to be a part of the above post, but my "edit" timed out! :)

Grim Undertakings also does not "rid" places of ghosts either. We have no qualifications to do this. How would we?! That is why we tell people from the beginning that we are only there to observe, and if they need further help, they should contact a priest or someone else who is trained and certified to bless or cleanse a place.
Afterall, we're not "ghostbusters" and we wouldn't want to make a haunting possibly worse by trying to rid a place of a ghost since we are not trained in this area. If anyone arrived at my property saying that they could rid it of it's ghost(s), I personally would like to see some credentials to back this up. Something from a recognized institution of learning (like a University), and not some "diploma" off of the internet. I find this somewhat misleading. And what do we say when people ask Grim Undertakings for their credentials? We have none. We don't want to mislead people into thinking that we are something that we are not. We are like bird-watchers in contrast to Ornithologists. :headbang:

I disagree Grim...we get rid of spirits where possible all the time. It is not 100% fool proof nor is it any guarantee. We are very upfront about this to the clients but we do have a very high success rate.

One example is an investigation and cleansing we did a few weeks ago in a house in Duluth, MN. The husband contacted me stating that his new wife was terrified of the house. They had all kinds of weird and scary things going on like microwave running without time on it, baby toys playing by themselves, the new wife being pushed almost down the stairs, voices in her ear, the baby would wake up at 3:00 am every night screaming bloody murder...it was so bad they couldn't stay in the house. We investigated, collected some great evidence and then set to cleansing the house. Myself and Christy did the cleansing. I talked to the husband a couple of days later and the reports were excellent! Then I talked with him last week and the reports are still excellent. The baby sleeps all night and has every night since we left, there are no more bad feelings and they all feel safe in the house.

I don't believe that there is any need for cridentials or diplomas to do this...just the right tools and knowledge. You don't have to be a certified mechanic to work on your car either, the right tools and the right knowlege and you can do it yourself.

Posted Image

Very well spoken krcguns, It's nice when people realize or understand, or better yet, they know how to help human spirits move on, or even rid inhuman spirits by cleansing/blessing someone's home. I've always admired people for their strong will and belief. I think it's a great thing what you do and I'm sure others must really appreciate you! I know I would, if I were someone in a situation like that, and needed help or guidance. Well done!!!

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

#51 ecpitghosthunters.com

ecpitghosthunters.com

Junior Villager

• PipPip
  • 37 posts

Posted 04 May 2006 - 10:04 PM

I have to agree. There are many "certifications" on the internet to be a ghost hunter/researcher/consultant/buster or whatever.

I believe that the only people who are certified are the handful of parapsychologists in the world who have Doctorates in other disciplines (such as psychology) that they apply to the field of parapsychology. Just because you have a high-powered telescope, and you stare gaze from your backyard, doesn't mean you work for NASA.
And that's all we ghost researchers/hunters are: backyard star gazers. We may know a lot about stars, but that doesn't make us certified in anything.

I can't wait 'till our website is finished....... :ghost: :)

If you have 3 groups to choose from

1) One had no experience period.

2) Another had read some books on how to do this.

3) Then another had to take a year worth of lessons and training from a group with 32 years combined experience.

Who would you choose?

If it were me, I would let a trained group come into my house before I would ever let an amateur in my door, lol :Spaz:

Edited by ecpitghosthunters.com, 04 May 2006 - 10:06 PM.

#52 ecpitghosthunters.com

ecpitghosthunters.com

Junior Villager

• PipPip
  • 37 posts

Posted 04 May 2006 - 10:18 PM

There are those who aren't qualified. The ONLY reason we get called from the state of NY is because Elmer, our Founder, is certified, they wont let amateurs do any state buildings period.

Edited by ecpitghosthunters.com, 04 May 2006 - 10:20 PM.

#53 DukeofBoogie

DukeofBoogie

Did the Time Warp at his wedding!

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,274 posts
  • Interests:The Paranormal, Rock music, Movies, History (Especially the American Civil War), and spending time with my wife and daughter.

Posted 05 May 2006 - 05:49 AM

The reason I asked the question originally is because I wanted to know if it was an online thing. I've come across a few people (online and in person) who have this sort of thing. I have to agree that it's a waste of money. Sure it's okay to learn from another, more experienced group/person. But what can be taught online must be very limited. Besides, can they really teach you anything that you can't learn out of a book. I'd rather go to Borders and spend $40 than $300 on a website. I learned what I know from reading, and experiencing.

And here's the other thing.....

Whether they call themselves ghosthunters or paranormal investigators, how does one know that the person that they are learning from is on the up and up. I've met far to many people in this "feild" that know less than a bag of rocks. Anybody can say they are a pro. Anybody can start a website from their parent's basement. The truth is there is to much knowitallism and Imbetterthanyouitis going around. I've seen to many different groups fighting each other. Keep in mind I'm not calling anyone here out. But this is what I've been obeserving over the past couple years.

In the persiut of truth about the paranormal you will be judged by your Knowledge and your professional behavior, and you people skills. So as in other areas in life, your judged by you actions. No online course can help you with that. And more cases will come your way as good word of mouth advertising spreads about you. It does not matter what you call yourself. And any online credentials don't really matter because they are not legally recognized documents.

P.S.
And I'm extra leary about any group (paranormal or otherwise) that has one member that seems to be the guru. I'm just really turned off by that. It's too cult-like for me.

Edited by DukeofBoogie, 05 May 2006 - 05:51 AM.

http://www.facebook....59567008?v=wallhttp://www.cdbaby.co...eblackriverboyshttp://www.zoarcivilwar.com/In great deeds something abides. On great fields something stays.....Spirits linger, to consecrate ground for the vision place of souls. And reverent men and women from afar, and generations that know us not and that we know not of, heart-drawn to where and by whom great things were suffered and done for them, shall come to this deathless field, to ponder and dream; and lo! The shadow of a mighty presence shall wrap them in its bosom, and the power of the vision pass into thier soles.-Joshua Lawrence Chamberlain

I've been hit byPosted Image mrsspookypants

#54 Grim Undertakings

Grim Undertakings

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,654 posts

Posted 05 May 2006 - 10:58 AM

Duke of boogie: Well said and I completely agree.

I've noticed a lot of "holier than thou" occuring on the internet also when it comes to ghost research. This is a general observation since I consider none of us to be professionals (there are no experts when it comes to ghosts, only experience. Well, unless you're a real parapsychologist. That's different. I consider them to be professionals.) I am respectful towards the other million ghost groups out there because we all do this our own way for it is a self taught thing after all; even if you dish out loads of cash for some online certificate, your still teaching yourself. I've never heard of anyone to fail one of these things anyway. Give us your money, your now a ghost whatever, congratulations.

ecpit:

1. Everyone has to start somewhere.

2. You can learn everything from books and personal field research when it comes to ghost research. Trial and error will teach you a lot, too.

3. Equals a year of reading, which doesn't gain you 32 years experience, and even then you're still back to #1 of this list.

But if anyone wants to pay money for a piece of paper, go right ahead, because when it comes to ghosts, there's really no wrong or right way of doing it (well, there is, but you know what I mean). We don't bring ouija boards, or burn sage, or say protection prayers ourselves, but this doesn't mean you shouldn't do it. To each their own when it comes to investigating ghosts. I have no certification and I've done work for the city before. Maybe for the province someday, too. Who knows? Maybe they'll think I'm a lunatic and send me away. :lol:

#55 evad_83647

evad_83647

Village Elder

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 811 posts
  • Interests:Military, parnormal, UFO's. I am an author, photographer and mechanic.

Posted 05 May 2006 - 12:40 PM

I've kind of stayed out of this thread because it isn't really my specialty.

But here is what I have analyzed from your comments.

Grim Respects Doctorate holders. And other says it isn't nessecary.

From Years of experience in my field (approx 32,lol), I have discovered "some" peole with doctorates don't have the common sense required to get themselves out of a wet paper bag. And "Some" people with little or no formal education can look at something one time and tell you exactly how it works and how it was put together and can take it apart and put it back together to prove it.

I think practical experience and book knowledge is the best way to approach something (in any area). A book will make you think you know everything; practical experience will teach you that you don't know as much as you thought you did.
Once I get there, there is somewhere else.Is it the beginning of the end or the end of the beginning?

#56 Grim Undertakings

Grim Undertakings

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,654 posts

Posted 05 May 2006 - 01:06 PM

:Spaz:

Hey, Evad! Good to hear from you. Your post was explained very well and I have to agree with you. I've also tweaked my perspective a bit because you do have a very good point.

So, yes, I do have a lot of respect for people who have spent years gaining a doctorate in their discipline. Or a Masters for that matter. But I understand what you are saying, Evad, and I really do appreciate a different viewpoint and clarification on this topic.

Thanks again! :lol: :Wall:

#57 spooksareus

spooksareus

Graceful leader of men who harvests wheat

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,003 posts
  • Interests:Healthy friends, supernatural science (oxy morans, lol!), cooking & baking, all animals, playing music (mostly jazz), art (all mediums), interesting & open minded people, truth, justice and liberal politics...

Posted 05 May 2006 - 03:54 PM

The reason I asked the question originally is because I wanted to know if it was an online thing. I've come across a few people (online and in person) who have this sort of thing. I have to agree that it's a waste of money. Sure it's okay to learn from another, more experienced group/person. But what can be taught online must be very limited. Besides, can they really teach you anything that you can't learn out of a book. I'd rather go to Borders and spend $40 than $300 on a website. I learned what I know from reading, and experiencing.

Whether they call themselves ghosthunters or paranormal investigators, how does one know that the person that they are learning from is on the up and up. I've met far to many people in this "feild" that know less than a bag of rocks. Anybody can say they are a pro. Anybody can start a website from their parent's basement. The truth is there is to much knowitallism and Imbetterthanyouitis going around. I've seen to many different groups fighting each other. Keep in mind I'm not calling anyone here out. But this is what I've been obeserving over the past couple years.

In the persiut of truth about the paranormal you will be judged by your Knowledge and your professional behavior, and you people skills. So as in other areas in life, your judged by you actions. No online course can help you with that. And more cases will come your way as good word of mouth advertising spreads about you. It does not matter what you call yourself. And any online credentials don't really matter because they are not legally recognized documents.

P.S.
And I'm extra leary about any group (paranormal or otherwise) that has one member that seems to be the guru. I'm just really turned off by that. It's too cult-like for me.

Exactly so Duke...

"It is perfectly monstrous the way people go about, nowadays, saying things against one behind one's back that are absolutely and entirely true." -Oscar Wilde “The Picture of Dorian Gray”

#58 Elmer_Willix

Elmer_Willix

• Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 06 May 2006 - 12:06 AM

P.S.

Exactly so Duke...

Hello this is Elmer Willix of ECPIT and I have just registered and read the comments and first off we are no better than you guys and vice versa but on another subject certificates versus books well that is an obsolete argument neither books or certificates can get you ready for the real thing, only experience can do that so whats the point in comparing the two, also why argue about what team is better I thaught we were all on the same side and working toward the same goal, sure i could probably teach you a trick or two but I am sure you could teach me a trick or two also so can the who is better argument please end and lets try to work together and I am sure we will accomplish much more.

#59 ecpitghosthunters.com

ecpitghosthunters.com

Junior Villager

• PipPip
  • 37 posts

Posted 06 May 2006 - 12:55 AM

P.S.

Exactly so Duke...

Hello this is Elmer Willix of ECPIT and I have just registered and read the comments and first off we are no better than you guys and vice versa but on another subject certificates versus books well that is an obsolete argument neither books or certificates can get you ready for the real thing, only experience can do that so whats the point in comparing the two, also why argue about what team is better I thaught we were all on the same side and working toward the same goal, sure i could probably teach you a trick or two but I am sure you could teach me a trick or two also so can the who is better argument please end and lets try to work together and I am sure we will accomplish much more.

Very well said, I couldn't have put that in better terms if I tried, lol! I don't want people to think or feel we are trying to say we are better, cause that's not what I've mentioned in prior post. If anyone has took this out of context, then I apologize for the misunderstanding.

Elmer's lil Devil

Posted Image

Posted Image

#60 spooksareus

spooksareus

Graceful leader of men who harvests wheat

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,003 posts
  • Interests:Healthy friends, supernatural science (oxy morans, lol!), cooking & baking, all animals, playing music (mostly jazz), art (all mediums), interesting & open minded people, truth, justice and liberal politics...

Posted 06 May 2006 - 01:01 AM

Do you go and try to shoot a ghost and try to kill it? They call it deer hunting, right? Paranormal investigator all the way! A ghost hunter, what is that? Dave

I prefer shooting easter eggs :D

P.S.

Exactly so Duke...

Why don't you tell us about your work Elmer so we know something about you.

"It is perfectly monstrous the way people go about, nowadays, saying things against one behind one's back that are absolutely and entirely true." -Oscar Wilde “The Picture of Dorian Gray”

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users