Free Skins
© Fisana

Photo

Ghost hunter vs Paranormal Investigator (researcher)

• Please log in to reply
69 replies to this topic

#61 Elmer_Willix

Elmer_Willix

• Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 06 May 2006 - 01:24 AM

Do you go and try to shoot a ghost and try to kill it? They call it deer hunting, right? Paranormal investigator all the way! A ghost hunter, what is that? Dave

I prefer shooting easter eggs :D

The reason I asked the question originally is because I wanted to know if it was an online thing. I've come across a few people (online and in person) who have this sort of thing. I have to agree that it's a waste of money. Sure it's okay to learn from another, more experienced group/person. But what can be taught online must be very limited. Besides, can they really teach you anything that you can't learn out of a book. I'd rather go to Borders and spend $40 than $300 on a website. I learned what I know from reading, and experiencing.

And here's the other thing.....

Whether they call themselves ghosthunters or paranormal investigators, how does one know that the person that they are learning from is on the up and up. I've met far to many people in this "feild" that know less than a bag of rocks. Anybody can say they are a pro. Anybody can start a website from their parent's basement. The truth is there is to much knowitallism and Imbetterthanyouitis going around. I've seen to many different groups fighting each other. Keep in mind I'm not calling anyone here out. But this is what I've been obeserving over the past couple years.

In the persiut of truth about the paranormal you will be judged by your Knowledge and your professional behavior, and you people skills. So as in other areas in life, your judged by you actions. No online course can help you with that. And more cases will come your way as good word of mouth advertising spreads about you. It does not matter what you call yourself. And any online credentials don't really matter because they are not legally recognized documents.

P.S.
And I'm extra leary about any group (paranormal or otherwise) that has one member that seems to be the guru. I'm just really turned off by that. It's too cult-like for me.

Exactly so Duke...

Hello this is Elmer Willix of ECPIT and I have just registered and read the comments and first off we are no better than you guys and vice versa but on another subject certificates versus books well that is an obsolete argument neither books or certificates can get you ready for the real thing, only experience can do that so whats the point in comparing the two, also why argue about what team is better I thaught we were all on the same side and working toward the same goal, sure i could probably teach you a trick or two but I am sure you could teach me a trick or two also so can the who is better argument please end and lets try to work together and I am sure we will accomplish much more.

Why don't you tell us about your work Elmer so we know something about you.

Sure, I am currently working in the newspaper printing buisiness but i am going to be starting classes in six months for a degree in computer programming and that will take me about four years, but my life revolves mostly around my paranormal team and has for close to seven years, I just love to help the people who need it and to explore the unknown in hopes of finding answers and easing the fears of our clients, so what about your work? and glad to meet everyone here as well, maybe we can all learn from one another.

#62 DukeofBoogie

DukeofBoogie

Did the Time Warp at his wedding!

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,274 posts
  • Interests:The Paranormal, Rock music, Movies, History (Especially the American Civil War), and spending time with my wife and daughter.

Posted 06 May 2006 - 04:10 AM

Hello this is Elmer Willix of ECPIT and I have just registered and read the comments and first off we are no better than you guys and vice versa but on another subject certificates versus books well that is an obsolete argument neither books or certificates can get you ready for the real thing, only experience can do that so whats the point in comparing the two, also why argue about what team is better I thaught we were all on the same side and working toward the same goal, sure i could probably teach you a trick or two but I am sure you could teach me a trick or two also so can the who is better argument please end and lets try to work together and I am sure we will accomplish much more.

Welcome to Ghostvillage Elmer. It's good to have you on board.

I think you misunderstood what I was trying to convey. Your right. Experience is #1, in any field. My point was.... What can you learn from an online course that you can't learn in a book? You all have to keep in mind that I am a very frugle man. If I can learn the same info out of a $12(or free from a library) book, that I would get from a $300 online course, guess which on I'm going with. There is a wealth of information out there, in books and online. Most of it won't cost you a penny.

So the point in comparing the two was about the money, and the usefullness of such a certificate. Hey, you have one, and that's great. If it helps you get cases, then that's great too. To me, though it sounds like a scam. Not you, mind you. I mean paying to get this thing from TAPS, or whoever. There was another one I saw. I think it was Flamel University or something.

I'm not bashing you or anyone else. The whole point was, in my opinion, that it doesn't matter about certificates, or whether you call yourself Ghost Hunter or paranormal investigator (the original point of this thread btw). Actions speak louder than words. The proof is in the pudding, so to speak. IF your going to be investigating out there, with the public, helping strangers and such, than you better know you stuff, and act professionally. I've met a lot of people who read the stuff, and act like they know it, but they come off as total jerks (that's me being nice. The actual word I like to use can't be said here.) How far do you think that will get them? I'm not impressed with fancy equipment, or a know-it-all attitude, or if someone has a website, or a couple of orb photos. When I meet someone I'm going to look him/her in the eye and have my bullstuff detector on. All the other stuff disappears. So they can call themselves whatever they want.
That ain't limited to the paranormal btw.

Final point. I think most of ARE saying "Let's work together." here. Part of my above point would be to realize that you(the big you. not you specifically) don't know everything. You can ALWAYS learn from someone else. Especially with this kind off stuff, because there are so many different approaches. Learn what you can and mold out your own style.

So YES. Share information. Stay Humble. We're all in this together.

Edited by DukeofBoogie, 06 May 2006 - 06:02 AM.

http://www.facebook....59567008?v=wallhttp://www.cdbaby.co...eblackriverboyshttp://www.zoarcivilwar.com/In great deeds something abides. On great fields something stays.....Spirits linger, to consecrate ground for the vision place of souls. And reverent men and women from afar, and generations that know us not and that we know not of, heart-drawn to where and by whom great things were suffered and done for them, shall come to this deathless field, to ponder and dream; and lo! The shadow of a mighty presence shall wrap them in its bosom, and the power of the vision pass into thier soles.-Joshua Lawrence Chamberlain

I've been hit byPosted Image mrsspookypants

#63 Guest_Guest_*

Guest_Guest_*
  • Guests

Posted 06 May 2006 - 05:31 AM

Very well said, Duke. All good points.

I would just like to add that, when we got off topic a bit in this thread, I was only trying to illustrate a point, I don't think I ever said "someone is better than someone". If I did, or if something that I said was taken that way, then I offer my apologies.

Welcome to the village, Elmer! Now, to get this thread back on topic, does anyone else have any thoughts about Ghost Hunter vs. Paranormal Investigator (researcher)? ;)

#64 Grim Undertakings

Grim Undertakings

Voted most likely to be a janitor in Highschool

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,654 posts

Posted 06 May 2006 - 05:32 AM

(sigh) Log in, Grim, log in.........

That's me above.

#65 Elmer_Willix

Elmer_Willix

• Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 06 May 2006 - 10:49 AM

(sigh) Log in, Grim, log in.........

That's me above.

Well grim I dont know that it matters what you call yourself, I think it is more of what you know and how you conduct yourself in the field, for example my team is the East Coast Paranormal Investigation Team but there is another group called the East Coast Ghost Hunters Club that I have had the pleasure of seeing some of their work and I have to say they are very good also, so as I said and this is only my oppinion but I dont think what they call themselves really matter, and to another post I agree that with the amount of reading out there these days you can certainly learn just as much as you can anywhere else, and that go's for anything you wanna learn they have books on everything now days.

#66 nnyprs

nnyprs

Senior Villager

• PipPipPipPip
  • 327 posts
  • Interests:All things paranormal.

Posted 31 July 2006 - 07:58 AM

I know it has been a long time since this topic has been visited, but I started, it had some great converstion, and left a lot of questions towards me that I never cam eback to answered. I will try to answer a few of them here.

We use paranormal because we do not limit ourselves to ghost activity, although that is our primary concern.

I agree with someone who said NEVER use the term parapsychologist. But the best part is...we have one. Our psychic/medium has a Docorate in Parapsycholgy from the University of London. It is a great help to us.

In my mind, this whole thing boils down to proffessionalism. And as someone else said...being called a Ghost Hunter, after seeing what a certain group does for good television, really makes my blood boil.
The Northern New York Paranormal Research SocietySEEK TRUTH!!!The NNYPRS Discussion ForumSEEK TRUTH!!![url=http://www.blogtalkradio.com/NNYPRS[/url]SEEK TRUTH!!!Posted Image

#67 DukeofBoogie

DukeofBoogie

Did the Time Warp at his wedding!

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,274 posts
  • Interests:The Paranormal, Rock music, Movies, History (Especially the American Civil War), and spending time with my wife and daughter.

Posted 02 August 2006 - 07:33 AM

To each his own, my friend. But don't let it get under your skin.

I'm a Licensed Massage Therapist. I worked very hard to get that title. I don't like being called a massues. It's an outdated term that refers to a female who practices massage. The term for a male would be massuer. I prefer Massage Therapist. I'm not just a Joe Schmoe who decided to rub people for a living. I went through the training, graduated and took the State Medical Board Exam, and passed. But I get tired of correcting people and explaining the difference. Sometimes I still will if the person is especially ignorant, and make a stupid comment about rubbing naked ladies, but most of the time I save my breath.

Basically I'm saying.... Choose your battles. You won't change everybody's veiw. And though I differ in opinion about the Ghost Hunter/Paranormal investigator thing, I can understand where your coming from when I compare that to my career, and the Title I worked hard to obtain.

Edited by DukeofBoogie, 02 August 2006 - 05:46 PM.

http://www.facebook....59567008?v=wallhttp://www.cdbaby.co...eblackriverboyshttp://www.zoarcivilwar.com/In great deeds something abides. On great fields something stays.....Spirits linger, to consecrate ground for the vision place of souls. And reverent men and women from afar, and generations that know us not and that we know not of, heart-drawn to where and by whom great things were suffered and done for them, shall come to this deathless field, to ponder and dream; and lo! The shadow of a mighty presence shall wrap them in its bosom, and the power of the vision pass into thier soles.-Joshua Lawrence Chamberlain

I've been hit byPosted Image mrsspookypants

#68 Morbid

Morbid

Thinks the jelly runs out of the peanut butter sandwich in head

• PipPipPipPip
  • 449 posts

Posted 02 August 2006 - 04:25 PM

I say ghost hunters look for ghosts. Paranormal investigators look for ghosts and like the cryptozoology stuff.
Nothing is true, everything is permitted.The law of Chaos.

#69 Joel Sturgis

Joel Sturgis

• Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 03 April 2009 - 08:31 PM

Spooks..I agree with you to a point. We are stuck being called ghosthunters by OTHERS, but that's not what bothers me. It bothers me when people who take this serious call themselves ghosthunters. People who caLL themselves ghosthunters will never get my full respect....because that tells me they do not value themselves, or they are true HOBBY HUNTERS.

We who do this for the right reasons need to stand together. We are here to further the science, and most of all to help people. Hobvby hunters will never help people.

Erm... I just want to say to that that... I call myself a Ghost Hunter, because I hunt areas where ghosts may be, I want to find some for real -- to actually kind of prove to myself that all these years I haven't been reading about some cotton-ear poo that isn't even real.

I believe Ghost Hunters is just the samething as everything else, its just a simplified word of Paranormal Investigator -- you know, for us ignorant, none-helping-other-people people. Posted Image

Sorry, tripping over myself. I just really don't think there is anything wrong with people calling themselves "Ghost Hunters", I mean, Paranormal Investigator. Okay, come on. Investigator pretty much hunts down the truth, figures out things, so they are hunting for something, and Paranormal, summoned up, can mean ghosts... well, strange occurances, I believe thats what it says in the dictionary.

I just had to say that... cause I really didn't think that was completely truthful. So, theres my idea.

-Karra, Over and Out

PS: I know everyone else also said something about this, this is just my idea -- everyone else probably makes more sense then my jabbering self.Posted Image

I understand where you are coming from as far as the search for ghosts is concerned. I am a full spectrum paranormal investigate. Let qualify that a bit. I investigate all phases of the paranormal not just ghosts. I do find investigating ghosts very interesting. But I also investigate Bigfoot, Jersey Devil, and the UFO phenomena. I do not fall into the category of ghost hunter. I have spent the last 17 years of my life doing this to great length. I go for weeks at a time to the Pacific northwest as well as the pine barrens. in search of the unanswered questions. I do believe there is a difference between the two.

#70 Alan B

Alan B

Junior Villager

• PipPip
  • 81 posts

Posted 05 April 2009 - 11:58 AM

That is a different way to look at it....Ghost Hunter ie Ghost Investigator. Somebody contact Jason and SciFi channel, History Channel and tell them to change too. I however understand where you are coming from. In either case, I think it is a "hunt" if you will, into science, we are not adapted to yet. Is there something there? Yes. What is it? We dont know yet ie (Hunter). Will we ever find a answer, and make contact ie (Investigator). Will we ever have the answers to what we are hunting for, investigating? (Science) In the end, we are all hunters, investigators, and scientist to one extent or the other. We are all looking for the same thing. :lol:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users