Click Here To Visit Our Sponsor

Photo

Ghost hunter vs Paranormal Investigator (researcher)

• Please log in to reply
69 replies to this topic

#1 nnyprs

nnyprs

Senior Villager

• PipPipPipPip
  • 327 posts
  • Interests:All things paranormal.

Posted 29 April 2006 - 11:40 PM

This has bothered me for the longest time. I have put forth this arguement before, and I am expecting the usual banter in return to this, but understand what I am saying. I'll start with the end, because I'm different like that.

The difference: Respect for the living and the science.

People who are ghosthunters "hunt" for ghosts. First, a few of the predominant definitons for hunt 1.To pursue (game) for food or sport 2.To pursue intensively so as to capture or kill 3.To drive out forcibly, especially by harassing; chase away So when looking at these definitions, what is a ghost hunter? Second, the majority of ghost hunters....what is your goal? To see, or to expereince, or to photograph, or to redord audio of a ghost. What happens when you go into a place and things get really bad? Most ghosthunters "cut and run". Like one of TAPS' motto, "Dude...Run!!!" This shows a total disrespect for the people who are living on the premises.

Now for the science...there are many many groups out there who take this serious. We are trying to further the science, to prove what we have witnessed with our own eyes. We are curious by nature, and we seek truth. Ghosthunters....just want the thrill of seeing or recording in some way a ghost.

In my opinion, ghost hunters are equivalant to hobby hunters. "Let's go see a ghost!!" Let's go to this graveyard and get some cool pictures and make a lot of money!!!"

If you take what you do seriously...please...for the rest of us...stop calling yourself a ghost hunter. Take the step up to the next level and be a researcher. Further the science. SEEK TRUTH!!!
The Northern New York Paranormal Research SocietySEEK TRUTH!!!The NNYPRS Discussion ForumSEEK TRUTH!!![url=http://www.blogtalkradio.com/NNYPRS[/url]SEEK TRUTH!!!Posted Image

#2 krcguns

krcguns

Village Elder

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,206 posts
  • Interests:Well....investigating ghosts and finding out what lies beyond this life of course!

Posted 30 April 2006 - 09:31 AM

Yep, you have it right. I am a paranormal investigator and that is the term I use with our group. Our investigators would never "cut and run". There is nothing to be afraid of and if you are looking for a ghost or evidence of a ghost, then, why the heck would you run away when you find one? Basically in my opinion, the term "Ghost Hunter" refers to a weekend warrior type "rookie" in the paranormal field.
Posted ImagePosted ImagePosted ImagePosted Image

#3 spooksareus

spooksareus

Graceful leader of men who harvests wheat

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,003 posts
  • Interests:Healthy friends, supernatural science (oxy morans, lol!), cooking & baking, all animals, playing music (mostly jazz), art (all mediums), interesting & open minded people, truth, justice and liberal politics...

Posted 30 April 2006 - 11:08 AM

I feel that way about an Easter egg hunt, I prefer to call it an Easter egg "seek", which is coincidentaly a synonym of both hunt and search. Of course search being the latter half of research and research which has a meaning: to seek closeley, and hunt has a meaning: a diligent search.

I don't really care what they call it as long as they follow a protocal of respect.

I'm afraid we are stuck with the title ghost hunters my friends, it is a more fun to say than paranormal investigators, or paranormal researchers or post mortem paranormal investigators. When it comes to semantics you are always going to come upon a word or phase that you don't prefer.

It's the content that has to count...

P.S. I do know what you mean.
But hey,even if what you're exercising is futility
at least you're still getting exercise, eh?

"It is perfectly monstrous the way people go about, nowadays, saying things against one behind one's back that are absolutely and entirely true." -Oscar Wilde “The Picture of Dorian Gray”

#4 nnyprs

nnyprs

Senior Villager

• PipPipPipPip
  • 327 posts

Posted 30 April 2006 - 11:17 AM

Spooks..I agree with you to a point. We are stuck being called ghosthunters by OTHERS, but that's not what bothers me. It bothers me when people who take this serious call themselves ghosthunters. People who caLL themselves ghosthunters will never get my full respect....because that tells me they do not value themselves, or they are true HOBBY HUNTERS.

We who do this for the right reasons need to stand together. We are here to further the science, and most of all to help people. Hobvby hunters will never help people.
The Northern New York Paranormal Research SocietySEEK TRUTH!!!The NNYPRS Discussion ForumSEEK TRUTH!!![url=http://www.blogtalkradio.com/NNYPRS[/url]SEEK TRUTH!!!Posted Image

#5 snappygator

snappygator

Junior Villager

• PipPip
  • 115 posts

Posted 30 April 2006 - 01:06 PM

I always leave a gift for the living and the dead as a thank you. Mostly for the dead I plant wildflowers at their sight for them. It's a type of living memmorial. I think the worst thing you can do is exploit someone and hunting them suggests exploiting them. I think it should be more looked at as a cooperative effort they don't have to show themselves or talk to us. We at times are intruding on them, not vice versa....Just my thoughts.

Andrea

#6 DukeofBoogie

DukeofBoogie

Did the Time Warp at his wedding!

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,274 posts
  • Interests:The Paranormal, Rock music, Movies, History (Especially the American Civil War), and spending time with my wife and daughter.

Posted 30 April 2006 - 01:11 PM

I don't mind the term ghosthunter. Call me what you will. I do what I do because I want to do it. I have a personal need to do it. I'm not out to prove anything to anybody. I have the utmost respect to people like Krc and nnyprs, for taking the scientific approach. I've learned alot form this board and guys and gals, like you, on here.

But really, does it matter what your called? The work you do is the important thing. Sure there are hobby hunters out there. Doesn't mean they don't have the same respect that you do. I don't have the time or money to invest on state of the art equipment, and going off every week to a new location. But who does? Is it anyone's full time job here? Does that make me less serious and respectful? If you want to call me a hobby hunter, than so be it.

Please note that I'm just voicing my opinions and am in no way trying to start anything. I just do not completely agree.
http://www.facebook....59567008?v=wallhttp://www.cdbaby.co...eblackriverboyshttp://www.zoarcivilwar.com/In great deeds something abides. On great fields something stays.....Spirits linger, to consecrate ground for the vision place of souls. And reverent men and women from afar, and generations that know us not and that we know not of, heart-drawn to where and by whom great things were suffered and done for them, shall come to this deathless field, to ponder and dream; and lo! The shadow of a mighty presence shall wrap them in its bosom, and the power of the vision pass into thier soles.-Joshua Lawrence Chamberlain

I've been hit byPosted Image mrsspookypants

#7 nnyprs

nnyprs

Senior Villager

• PipPipPipPip
  • 327 posts

Posted 30 April 2006 - 01:24 PM

As I always say Duke, everyone is entitled to their opinion. And I am always willing to hear opposing views than mine. If you do what you do in cemetaries and abandoned locations, I say fine. Be a ghosthunter. However, part of the problem I have with ghosthunters is when they say they can investigate homes with living inhabitants. If you want to hunt, go to a cemetary. if you know somemone who is having problems in their home, help them find a proffessional team that can help the people. Ghosthunters are in this for the thrill, because they like to do it, as you said. But back to my original thoughts....if you (not saying you as in you you, just a generalization :) )go to someone's house, and things get worse after you leave, what do you do? MOst ghosthunters cut and run. "Thanks for the footage!!! You'll see it on TV some day, when I am making money from it!!! BYE BYE!!!"

So....if you call yourself a ghost hunter....what do YOU do??

#8 DukeofBoogie

DukeofBoogie

Did the Time Warp at his wedding!

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,274 posts
  • Interests:The Paranormal, Rock music, Movies, History (Especially the American Civil War), and spending time with my wife and daughter.

Posted 30 April 2006 - 01:50 PM

Ok, now I have a better understanding of your meaning. Thank you. That part I can agree with. I've helped a few people out out with their hauntings (my wife and I both, I should say.). We've never taken any video footage our audio. We just did it because someone needed our help, and we knew how to help them. It's usually friends and family. Let's not forget cleansing our own home many times. I guess I keep bring stuff home lol.

Yeah I like graveyards too. The haunted homes we've been (outside of friends and family) are usually B&B's or open to the public in some other fashion. But if a stranger were to ask us for help, we would, free of charge. Just haven't had that situation yet since we belong to no formal groups.
http://www.facebook....59567008?v=wallhttp://www.cdbaby.co...eblackriverboyshttp://www.zoarcivilwar.com/In great deeds something abides. On great fields something stays.....Spirits linger, to consecrate ground for the vision place of souls. And reverent men and women from afar, and generations that know us not and that we know not of, heart-drawn to where and by whom great things were suffered and done for them, shall come to this deathless field, to ponder and dream; and lo! The shadow of a mighty presence shall wrap them in its bosom, and the power of the vision pass into thier soles.-Joshua Lawrence Chamberlain

I've been hit byPosted Image mrsspookypants

#9 snappygator

snappygator

Junior Villager

• PipPip
  • 115 posts

Posted 30 April 2006 - 03:03 PM

As I always say Duke, everyone is entitled to their opinion. And I am always willing to hear opposing views than mine. If you do what you do in cemetaries and abandoned locations, I say fine. Be a ghosthunter. However, part of the problem I have with ghosthunters is when they say they can investigate homes with living inhabitants. If you want to hunt, go to a cemetary. if you know somemone who is having problems in their home, help them find a proffessional team that can help the people. Ghosthunters are in this for the thrill, because they like to do it, as you said. But back to my original thoughts....if you (not saying you as in you you, just a generalization ;) )go to someone's house, and things get worse after you leave, what do you do? MOst ghosthunters cut and run. "Thanks for the footage!!! You'll see it on TV some day, when I am making money from it!!! BYE BYE!!!"

So....if you call yourself a ghost hunter....what do YOU do??

I mainly go to graveyards. So I suppose I am technically a hunter. I don't usually go into living people's homes. I should clarify my last post. I believe in respecting everyone. I don't know I just never found either term disrespectful to me. However i find it disrespectful if you cheat people, people including ghosts.

Andrea

#10 spooksareus

spooksareus

Graceful leader of men who harvests wheat

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,003 posts
  • Interests:Healthy friends, supernatural science (oxy morans, lol!), cooking & baking, all animals, playing music (mostly jazz), art (all mediums), interesting & open minded people, truth, justice and liberal politics...

Posted 30 April 2006 - 03:32 PM

Spooks..I agree with you to a point. We are stuck being called ghosthunters by OTHERS, but that's not what bothers me. It bothers me when people who take this serious call themselves ghosthunters. People who caLL themselves ghosthunters will never get my full respect....because that tells me they do not value themselves, or they are true HOBBY HUNTERS.

We who do this for the right reasons need to stand together. We are here to further the science, and most of all to help people. Hobvby hunters will never help people.

I do know where you are coming from, and I can see that your heart is true to the cause of furthering the real research and study of the paranormal.

Try to have a little fun with it. My dad is lawer and he gets called an "ambulence chaser" (that's the tame one) my uncle is a "shrink", my friend is a "bone cracker", my private investigator buddy is a "Dick" (sounds like a personal problem), I'm a chef and I get irked when I get called cook, but what am I gonna do I am a cook. You don't want to know what else I've been called (by friends even).

"A rose by any other name would smell as sweet" and a paranormal investigator by any other name is still a seeker of the truth. ;)
Spooks

Edited by spooksareus, 30 April 2006 - 03:34 PM.

"It is perfectly monstrous the way people go about, nowadays, saying things against one behind one's back that are absolutely and entirely true." -Oscar Wilde “The Picture of Dorian Gray”

#11 snappygator

snappygator

Junior Villager

• PipPip
  • 115 posts

Posted 30 April 2006 - 04:04 PM

AMEN to spooks r us. We are what we are no matter the name.

Andrea

#12 nnyprs

nnyprs

Senior Villager

• PipPipPipPip
  • 327 posts

Posted 30 April 2006 - 09:24 PM

Again, I do respect that, and if someone calls me a ghosthunter, to my face or behindmy back, I don't lash out. I don't take it to heart either. I just wanted to clarify the line, and start some interesting conversations. Hopefuuly, I did both :whee:.

#13 Anomaly

Anomaly

Junior Villager

• PipPip
  • 75 posts
  • Interests:The Occult, Paranormal investigation/research/studies, mediumship, free-lance photography, writing (short stories, poetry), hiking, horticulture, music, baseball, tennis, animal welfare, counceling....to name a few of the more important. *wink*

Posted 30 April 2006 - 10:16 PM

I have used the term "Ghost Hunter" to some who don't have a clue what paranormal investigation means and I don't even want to bother to explain it to them at that point. But I am a paranormal investigator. I don't believe in the cut and run crap...it defies the whole purpose of your initial intent.

I can see why you would be bothered by this, when there are those out there who use the term loosely. But knowing what you are, it shouldn't really bother you what others might consider you to be. :whee:
Posted ImageThere was something awesome in the thought of the solitary mortal standing by the open window and summoning in from the gloom outside the spirits of the nether world.

#14 feusurlaneige

feusurlaneige

Not a very good "ghost" detective!

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,248 posts

Posted 01 May 2006 - 04:25 AM

I do know where you are coming from, and I can see that your heart is true to the cause of furthering the real research and study of the paranormal.

Try to have a little fun with it. My dad is lawer and he gets called an "ambulence chaser" (that's the tame one) my uncle is a "shrink", my friend is a "bone cracker", my private investigator buddy is a "Dick" (sounds like a personal problem), I'm a chef and I get irked when I get called cook, but what am I gonna do I am a cook. You don't want to know what else I've been called (by friends even).

"A rose by any other name would smell as sweet" and a paranormal investigator by any other name is still a seeker of the truth. :whee:
Spooks

You are spot on spook.
This is exactly what I was thinking. I am not a weekend warrior and my team and I are very serious about it all but still we will use the word 'ghost hunter' or regard myself actually as a "ghostie"
Of course if our team leader is talking to media etc then we are ghost investigators but we all call ourselves ghost hunters or busters. Its just an affectionate name.

I think it all means the same thing really. If you are just after an adrenaline rush then maybe its called 'thrill seeking'

When I go on an investigation I often say Im going 'ghosting'

Sometimes we read into things too much.

Edited by feusurlaneige, 01 May 2006 - 04:27 AM.

#15 spelling

spelling

Village Elder

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,809 posts

Posted 01 May 2006 - 05:47 AM

spooks this goes to your opinion

:clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap:

the attitude towards the field that i am in takes alot of guff as well but your way of looking at this controversy makes me feel a whole lot better.!!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users