First Time Ghost Hunt

• Please log in to reply
20 replies to this topic

#1 Karra

Karra

Junior Villager

• PipPip
  • 38 posts
  • Interests:[X]Ghosts<br />[X]Spirits<br />[X]Cemeteries<br />[X]Japanese<br />[X]Gypsies<br />[X]Magic

Posted 30 April 2006 - 07:25 PM

Well! I'll be heading on my first Ghost Hunt in a week or so with my new team, and I'd like some hints on what would be some good stuff to do. All I've got is a dinky little kids camcorder thing, but I can get a voice recorder from my Grandpa's and I was wondering what is a good place to start off with -- cemetery, haunted area, or haunted house?

Give me some tips here, I need to know, I don't want to go out there and look ignorant in front of everyone -- especially in front of High Schoolers. Posted Image

If people can also put down some experiences from their first time out Ghost Hunting, that would help a lot too! Thanks a lot, and happy Ghosting! XD -Karra

Edit: Oh darn... I spelled First wrong. I look dumb. Well, sorry about that. Heh. I was typing to fast and didn't look at it. Posted Image

Edited by Karra, 30 April 2006 - 07:26 PM.

"There is no noise in my ears. There is no breath hin my lungs, even the slight mewl that had once was pushed out of my lungs has dissapeared. My paws are cold, and they do not move. My eyes are closed and they will not open. I cannot see. I cannot hear. I cannot think straight... where am I? And then it seems to come so quickly, I fear the result, but the words are here... I hear them sifting over me;I am dead."Posted Image

#2 nnyprs

nnyprs

Senior Villager

• PipPipPipPip
  • 327 posts
  • Interests:All things paranormal.

Posted 30 April 2006 - 09:34 PM

Hey Karra,

The first thing I have to say is, looking dumb in front of high schoolers shouldn't be an issue...because generally speaking the MAJORITY of high schoolers should not be involved. There is a maturity level to think about, and although I know many high schoolers can be very mature for their age, 95% of the high schoolers I have run into at cemetaries or haunted locations are there for the shrill thrill of it. They NORMALLY are not beneficial. If that is your group, and you feel comfortable with them, no problem. That's just my first observation.

Second, how you go about it depends on where you are going. Let us know what type of place it is, and we should be able to help you further in how to go about it.

Other than that...good luck, and listen to your gut feelings.
The Northern New York Paranormal Research SocietySEEK TRUTH!!!The NNYPRS Discussion ForumSEEK TRUTH!!![url=http://www.blogtalkradio.com/NNYPRS[/url]SEEK TRUTH!!!Posted Image

#3 Karra

Karra

Junior Villager

• PipPip
  • 38 posts
  • Interests:[X]Ghosts<br />[X]Spirits<br />[X]Cemeteries<br />[X]Japanese<br />[X]Gypsies<br />[X]Magic

Posted 30 April 2006 - 09:38 PM

Well, we have quit a few places we can go... there is the Belle Gunness place and... Hook Man's Road, or we can go to 'A' Street cemetery... I still have to get the place picked out, and I was trying to figure out the best place to start out with.

Oh, and I know what you mean about High Schoolers, but their a lot older then me... and it kind of freaks me out to have a bunch of adults around on my team (I'm thirteen-fourteen, remember?). But, I do believe I'm gunna have a High School Teacher on our team, or at least helping us out a little...

Edited by Karra, 30 April 2006 - 09:38 PM.

"There is no noise in my ears. There is no breath hin my lungs, even the slight mewl that had once was pushed out of my lungs has dissapeared. My paws are cold, and they do not move. My eyes are closed and they will not open. I cannot see. I cannot hear. I cannot think straight... where am I? And then it seems to come so quickly, I fear the result, but the words are here... I hear them sifting over me;I am dead."Posted Image

#4 nnyprs

nnyprs

Senior Villager

• PipPipPipPip
  • 327 posts
  • Interests:All things paranormal.

Posted 30 April 2006 - 09:46 PM

Gotchya...I was unaware of your age, and forgive me if I offended you. Very bold move spear heading this.

For the first, I would chose a cemetary, but only with permission. Never go in anywhere without permission from the owners. The reason I say cemetary isn't because they are the most haunted, and to be honest, in my opinion MOST cemetaries are not haunted. But with a cemetary, you can go in daylight and scout out the area first. Know where there are obstructions that may be difficult to see in the dark. Also, they are easy to get in and out of (usually). And, they are easy to set up for. You don't have to decide what angles you are going to shoot video from, and the same for cameras. And with a group of 5 or more...you won't be so crowded.

Just take it slow...again...listen to your gut feelings. DOn't just take random pictures to hopefully get something. Listen, and you will know when to take pictures.

Most of all...stay together. Don't send one group one way and the other another.

Now, if you are going to do a house, things will be different. Let me know what you decide.
The Northern New York Paranormal Research SocietySEEK TRUTH!!!The NNYPRS Discussion ForumSEEK TRUTH!!![url=http://www.blogtalkradio.com/NNYPRS[/url]SEEK TRUTH!!!Posted Image

#5 Karra

Karra

Junior Villager

• PipPip
  • 38 posts

Posted 30 April 2006 - 09:56 PM

We won't be dealing with video cameras, really, just yet, and we'll have to do day-light for now, because all I can get at the moment is the disposible cameras. --; Yes, I'm cheap. I'm getting a nice camera in June, for my birthday.

I do believe we may do a cemetery, but I'm also debating on Belle Gunness Cemetery and/or lands. One of the member's Aunt lives on some Belle Gunness, so we won't have to ask permission... and half of our cemeteries don't even have owners and no gates, but I'll inform my Dad --whom is a cop-- that we'll be out there, so that we don't get arrested or anything. Posted Image

We may also get hook-ups for the Cinema, which is suppose to be haunted by a nine year-old girl... that one is gunna be hard though, I think I'm gunna ask our members if any of them have friends that work at the Cinema, and we can get in when the person is doing clean-up duty... my parents did that when they were young and wanted to see if that place was haunted.

#6 dan_nwmps

dan_nwmps

Junior Villager

• PipPip
  • 114 posts

Posted 01 May 2006 - 10:21 PM

Nice to see you getting interested so young you will have lots of years to gain experience and learn. Cemetaries are a great place to start.
Start there gain some experience onhow to work your equipemnt and learning protocols then work your way up fromn there as your team gains more knowledge and experience. All you really need for equipment to start out is some disposible cameras a notebook and flashlight and maybe an audio recorder.
If ya have any other questions feel free to ask.

Edited by dan_nwmps, 01 May 2006 - 10:22 PM.

"Minds are like parachutes. They only function when they are open."Lord Thomas DewarPosted Image

#7 Grim Undertakings

Grim Undertakings

Voted most likely to be a janitor in Highschool

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,654 posts

Posted 02 May 2006 - 12:19 AM

Sounds like you're off to a good start!
This sounds corny but respect the law (don't tresspass!), play it safe, and have fun. Looking for ghosts can get frustrating and boring at times. ;)
Sounds like the kid's camcorder probably isn't of the best quality. If you want to use it for kicks, that's cool, but if you capture anything it may not be great evidence in regards to the camera make.

Hope this helps a bit. :P

#8 bathory313

bathory313

So SCARED she peed down her own leg!

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,058 posts
  • Interests:movies, music, mysteries of the world, poetry, art, ghosts, evp, ghost photos, psychics and mediumship, esp, telepathy, psychic photography, guardian spirits, doing something good for others

Posted 02 May 2006 - 02:01 AM

Always be aware of where you're walking; you can get so focused on the hunt that you step in a hole or some stuff. If you can, scout out the area for things you need to be aware of while moving around.

If you're trying to get evp, tell all your team members to talk in a normal tone of voice (no whispering)

Take extra batteries for everything!

If you go to a cemetary, talk to "whomever" you feel might be there. It's a good way to get results both on film and on voice recording.

Listen to your intuition. Once you know what it feels like when a ghost is around you, you never forget it, and you recognize it instantly.

Try to approach your investigation in a calm, rational manner. Don't automatically jump to conclusions.

And have fun!

I've also heard some say that you should shut all cell phones off, but have one, fully-charged, on you in case of emergency. (just shut it off)

Has anyone else heard this, or practice this?
Posted Image

#9 dan_nwmps

dan_nwmps

Junior Villager

• PipPip
  • 114 posts

Posted 02 May 2006 - 04:21 PM

We use 2 way radios and cell phones. we dont worry too much about calls. its always a good idea to have one on you on or off tho you never know.. you may run into a living being that can cause more trouble then a spirit and you may need to call the police.
"Minds are like parachutes. They only function when they are open."Lord Thomas DewarPosted Image

#10 Karra

Karra

Junior Villager

• PipPip
  • 38 posts

Posted 02 May 2006 - 04:44 PM

Nobody on my group has a cellphone. *Mumbles about lousy grandparents* Oh, thanks for the advice and stuffs everyone! We're heading for a very old one, it doesn't have a gate or anything, and nobody actually "owns" it, it is a come on your own kind of thing, where you either mow the grave's lawn, or you don't.

Its a little lousy, but its worth a shot. I believe I'll keep my camcorder at home. XD Its really lousy and it can only take five minutes -- sucks, I know. I already have four minutes filled on it, so I need to load it on again... hmm...

Well, thanks for the advice, y'all! \V/^.^ Happy ghosting to y'all.

-Karra, Over and Out

#11 GhostCat

GhostCat

Certified husband trainer....guaranteed he won't track dirt

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 885 posts
  • Interests:Travelling New England by land and sea, local history, houses - as I am a real estate appraiser, I teach Special Education too, love all the kids I work with... they teach me too, lol, and add lots of smiles to my day....my cats, my goffin cockatoo parrot that is loud, smart and talkative, walking, bicycling, skiing, ice hockey, watching the Patriots, the Bruins and the Red Sox (Woo Hoo.. Fenway Painters..My sister and brother in laws business that paint the Park and my nephew that paints the famous &quot;green monster&quot;) lighthouses, antiques, gardening, trying new restaurants, classic movies (love Cary Grant and Alfred Hitchcock), big band music, laughing and being around others that like to laugh, ghost stories - I love to hear other peoples experiences as I have so many to tell myself.

Posted 02 May 2006 - 06:32 PM

It should be a great experience for all of you. I remember doing some fun things like that as a teen.
I am sure every little thing will make you and your group jump and scream, and it should be a fun time.
My best advice to you, is that as a group of teens.....and I am assuming girls, beware of the living and not the dead out there at night. You said your dad is a cop, that is great. Please let him know exactly where you will be that night. If you are honest with him and what you are doing, he will understand. Also, many cemeteries and other places can be considered trespassing, discuss that too with your father. The both of you working together on this will make it a fun experience and a safe one. Good luck and let us know if anything spooky happens.
"Women and cats will do as they please, and men and dogs should relax and get used to the idea."-- Robert A. Heinlein

#12 Karra

Karra

Junior Villager

• PipPip
  • 38 posts

Posted 02 May 2006 - 06:39 PM

Actually! Their all boys! *coughs*I'm a tomboy*coughs* I don't get along with girls very well. Well, yeah, but... I don't live with my Dad, haven't seen him for almost a month by now, but I'll make sure I call him if we're up in his area, so that he knows that he can come check in on us -- if he wants to, that is.

I don't think I likes me that much, but, oh well, he doesn't like kids. Lol. I'll deffinitly inform him on everything though, too, his new wife is awsome, so I can talk to her also, she could help me out with talking with people to get permission -- she is not as shy as me.

#13 Grim Undertakings

Grim Undertakings

Voted most likely to be a janitor in Highschool

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,654 posts

Posted 02 May 2006 - 06:42 PM

Good luck again, Karra!
Ghostcat has a really good point, too. I think I'm more afraid of the living, then the dead, personally! :) :)

#14 GhostCat

GhostCat

Certified husband trainer....guaranteed he won't track dirt

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 885 posts
  • Interests:Travelling New England by land and sea, local history, houses - as I am a real estate appraiser, I teach Special Education too, love all the kids I work with... they teach me too, lol, and add lots of smiles to my day....my cats, my goffin cockatoo parrot that is loud, smart and talkative, walking, bicycling, skiing, ice hockey, watching the Patriots, the Bruins and the Red Sox (Woo Hoo.. Fenway Painters..My sister and brother in laws business that paint the Park and my nephew that paints the famous &quot;green monster&quot;) lighthouses, antiques, gardening, trying new restaurants, classic movies (love Cary Grant and Alfred Hitchcock), big band music, laughing and being around others that like to laugh, ghost stories - I love to hear other peoples experiences as I have so many to tell myself.

Posted 02 May 2006 - 06:57 PM

Glad to know you will be surrounded my males. You will quickly find out who the brave ones are.

When I was about 14 years old, my friend Cindy and I (and we are still friends today), always went to this vacant "haunted house" about a mile from us. We always had these two boys following us around, and for some reason they heard we were going to be at the haunted house after school. My friend and I always hid our bikes way in the woods. So, that day we got there, and entered our usual way, somehow through a cellar door that was not locked. It was so dark and spooky, but we found in the attic old newspaper clippings and old magazines, and we would always go up and read them by flashlight. About 10 min after we were there that day, the two teenage boys showed up, not knowing if we were actually in the house or not. The conversation those two had was so funny, they both were really scared. They only went into two rooms on the first floor and were saying things like "ok I don't think they are here, lets go". The next day, we played dumb when they said they went to the haunted house. We asked if they went through the whole house and they said yes, they even said they went all the way to the attic. We knew they were lying, and laughed for months about it, knowing they were just scaredy cats.
"Women and cats will do as they please, and men and dogs should relax and get used to the idea."-- Robert A. Heinlein

#15 Karra

Karra

Junior Villager

• PipPip
  • 38 posts

Posted 02 May 2006 - 07:05 PM

Haha! Nice! No offense, but I think I'd get really BAD_WORD if it was girls... gawd... girls are so... *mutters something* They always scream over stupid crap, most of them, and pink is so... flashy. Why the hell do you all wear pink in the haunted houses, for Christ's sake! *went to a haunted house when she was nine with three girls* It sucks so bad... they kept mingling and they staid so close that they'd always fall over!

Heh, no offense to females or males, cause on the same fact, many guys are the sameway, but, heck, teenage boys are droolingly mad. But, as long as I don't got some pink lightlubbers, then I think I can get through the whole thing without drop-kicking someone out the window.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users