An American Haunting

• Please log in to reply
41 replies to this topic

#16 Iron Bess

Iron Bess

Junior Villager

• PipPip
  • 34 posts
  • Interests:Well, now... histories, hauntings, swordplay, The Renaissance, Hawaiian Faiths and mysteries and the mysteries of Spirit. I've been a pro swordswoman for 30 years and know it was just a gift that came back with me from another life.(chuckle) How well it serves me!

Posted 25 April 2006 - 03:51 PM

I just saw a screening of American Haunting during lunch...

Well worth the wait and while it takes allot to un nerve me, I still have goosebumps! :D This was done in a first class manner with terrific effects!

A wonderful romp!!! Expect to have a wonderful time. :clap:
Herself,Iron Bess"Women who behave... rarely make history!"

#17 Tigger

Tigger

Junior Villager

• PipPip
  • 57 posts

Posted 25 April 2006 - 06:42 PM

I hadn't heard of the story of the Bell Witch, and to my knowledge NO death has ever been caused by a spirit, which made me scoff when the trailer stated that this was the most documented spirit related case AND a death resulted in it.

I saw the movie tonight and, not only does the trailer outright lie, but the movie is nothing like it's portrayed in that 60 seconds of preview.

Very predictable and the ending really over explains itself.

Dammit, I was hoping this would be a good one.

Did you see an advance screening of this movie? For according to the website it doens't come out till May 5 and maybe I'm not looking right but I don't see a section that says advance screening in certain cities. And it' just was now mentioned in Entertainment Weekly as coming out next month. Although I see now that most have saw some early previews of it so no biggie.

But the Bell Witch Legend is an old one. It brought Andrew Jackson to investigate it himself and he witness some of the happenings that was plaguing the family. Some of the occurances seemed to be centered on the young female member of the family, Lucy Bell (i think that was her name).

Several writers have written stories or novels on this incindent. One of them was Barbara Michaels in her novel "Other Worlds". There was another writer a few years back that wrote "All That Lives" which covers it too.

Some think now the incindents might have been brought about by Lucy Bell tapping into unknown TK power she may have possessed due to her father possibly sexually abusing her and the main focus of the attacks were all aimed at the Older Bell and didn't stop till his death brought on by the stress and attacks from the ghost of the Bell Witch. So in reality, what this spirit/poltergiest was doing to the Elder Bell did cause his death.

The Bell Witch was said to be a woman he had had an affair with and later discarded off. And there's even a Bell Witch Cave in which they did a paranormal investigation of and sensed some "bad vibes" or presence there in the cave.

#18 Iron Bess

Iron Bess

Junior Villager

• PipPip
  • 34 posts
  • Interests:Well, now... histories, hauntings, swordplay, The Renaissance, Hawaiian Faiths and mysteries and the mysteries of Spirit. I've been a pro swordswoman for 30 years and know it was just a gift that came back with me from another life.(chuckle) How well it serves me!

Posted 27 April 2006 - 10:13 AM

Did you see an advance screening of this movie? For according to the website it doens't come out till May 5 and maybe I'm not looking right but I don't see a section that says advance screening in certain cities. And it' just was now mentioned in Entertainment Weekly as coming out next month. Although I see now that most have saw some early previews of it so no biggie.

No, I work for Disney Studios and was invited to a screening.

(Shrug) I enjoyed it. It was a good popcorn flick. A good *Summer* movie. :weeee:
Herself,Iron Bess"Women who behave... rarely make history!"

#19 MoonChild

MoonChild

Undead giant that feasts on hotdogs!

• Town Council
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 50,396 posts
  • Interests:Life

Posted 05 May 2006 - 10:48 AM

In the early 1800s when the Bell family of Red River, Tennessee, was visited by a supernatural presence. The entity terrorized the entire family, but paid particular attention to the Bell's youngest daughter, Betsy. The result was the best-documented and only recorded case in American history where a spirit or entity caused the death of a human being. And now, as another family takes possession of the old Bell house, it's starting all over again.

View Trailor
Posted Image

#20 jenbrown

jenbrown

Village Elder

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,464 posts
  • Interests:Haunted anything, movies and Disney!

Posted 05 May 2006 - 05:38 PM

Just came back from the movie. Didn't love it. It was pretty accurate with the back story of the Bell Witch but the effects were typical hollywood schlocky teenage horror flick. There was so much of the "boo factor" that it wasn't scary at all (if I had a dollar for every dream sequence!).The end has a twist but for those kid's who don't know about the true haunting, I just don't know if they would understand it. If you have to go do a matinee, it's cheaper.
"Serpents and spiders, tail of a rat. Call in the spirits, wherever they’re at!Rap on a table, it’s time to respond. Send us a message from somewhere beyond!Goblins and ghoulies from last Halloween, awaken the spirits with your tambourine! Creepies and crawlies... toads in a pond! Let there be music from regions beyond.Wizards and witches, wherever you dwell – give us a hint by ringing a bell!" Madame Leota

#21 MoonChild

MoonChild

Undead giant that feasts on hotdogs!

• Town Council
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 50,396 posts
  • Interests:Life

Posted 05 May 2006 - 05:43 PM

ty for the update. I guess with the computer animations, people are not really knowing how to produce a good effect these days!
Posted Image

#22 GhostCat

GhostCat

Certified husband trainer....guaranteed he won't track dirt

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 885 posts
  • Interests:Travelling New England by land and sea, local history, houses - as I am a real estate appraiser, I teach Special Education too, love all the kids I work with... they teach me too, lol, and add lots of smiles to my day....my cats, my goffin cockatoo parrot that is loud, smart and talkative, walking, bicycling, skiing, ice hockey, watching the Patriots, the Bruins and the Red Sox (Woo Hoo.. Fenway Painters..My sister and brother in laws business that paint the Park and my nephew that paints the famous "green monster") lighthouses, antiques, gardening, trying new restaurants, classic movies (love Cary Grant and Alfred Hitchcock), big band music, laughing and being around others that like to laugh, ghost stories - I love to hear other peoples experiences as I have so many to tell myself.

Posted 05 May 2006 - 09:27 PM

Just came back from the movie. Didn't love it. It was pretty accurate with the back story of the Bell Witch but the effects were typical hollywood schlocky teenage horror flick. There was so much of the "boo factor" that it wasn't scary at all (if I had a dollar for every dream sequence!).The end has a twist but for those kid's who don't know about the true haunting, I just don't know if they would understand it. If you have to go do a matinee, it's cheaper.

Thanks for telling us. I guess it is one of those that I will wait until it comes out on DVD and rent it.
Saves me the trip to the theatre, and the extra junkfood and popcorn that I don't need to eat.

uggh.... I am still awaiting a good spooky new horror film to come out.

Edited by GhostCat, 05 May 2006 - 09:29 PM.

"Women and cats will do as they please, and men and dogs should relax and get used to the idea."-- Robert A. Heinlein

#23 jenbrown

jenbrown

Village Elder

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,464 posts
  • Interests:Haunted anything, movies and Disney!

Posted 05 May 2006 - 10:17 PM

I just now viewed the trailer...If only the movie was that good!
"Serpents and spiders, tail of a rat. Call in the spirits, wherever they’re at!Rap on a table, it’s time to respond. Send us a message from somewhere beyond!Goblins and ghoulies from last Halloween, awaken the spirits with your tambourine! Creepies and crawlies... toads in a pond! Let there be music from regions beyond.Wizards and witches, wherever you dwell – give us a hint by ringing a bell!" Madame Leota

#24 LindenD

LindenD

Junior Villager

• PipPip
  • 36 posts

Posted 07 May 2006 - 08:13 PM

I thought that the basic story line and the overall movie was good. I've heard of the Bell witch haunting, and I didnt expect this movie to be scary. I mean can you really expect any movie these days to be scary. I throughly enjoyed the movie. :weeee:

Edited by LindenD, 07 May 2006 - 08:14 PM.

"Transcend the Boundaries of Reality"

#25 Persia

Persia

Village Elder

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,281 posts
  • Interests:“If you’re going to dine with the devil, make sure you have a long spoon.”

Posted 09 May 2006 - 03:24 PM

that movie was weird as hell.

Posted Image

Perfer et obdura; dolor hic tibi proderit olim. --Ovid--

#26 Magrathea82

Magrathea82

Junior Villager

• PipPip
  • 89 posts
  • Interests:reading, writing, ghost hunting

Posted 09 May 2006 - 07:16 PM

I just saw it this afternoon and I was under the impression that Kate Batts's spirit was the one who terrorized the family and killed Bell. However, in the movie, Kate is very much alive. I also got the impression that if what the mother said was right, about Betsy protecting herself from whatever reason( I'm guessing her father)since it all stopped after John died. Did this imply that something no good was going on between John and Betsy, as implied between the daughter and her father at the end when Betsy's ghost showed up? What was with that little girl, who was supposed to be Betsy at a young age?
When life throws you a fast one, either duck or catch

#27 LindenD

LindenD

Junior Villager

• PipPip
  • 36 posts

Posted 10 May 2006 - 07:24 AM

Yes, the movie is strongly implying that Betsy was raped by her father(John). What they were trying to say was that Betsy was causing the polterguist type of haunting because of the traumatic experience that she was going through. I am not really sure about the young girl but maybe she was supposed to represent Betsy when she was young and innocent.
"Transcend the Boundaries of Reality"

#28 Persia

Persia

Village Elder

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,281 posts
  • Interests:“If you’re going to dine with the devil, make sure you have a long spoon.”

Posted 10 May 2006 - 08:18 AM

For me the young child represented the stolen childhood from Betsy because her father raped her.

Posted Image

Perfer et obdura; dolor hic tibi proderit olim. --Ovid--

#29 Catlara

Catlara

Village Elder

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,697 posts
  • Interests:Lots!~lol

Posted 10 May 2006 - 04:53 PM

Not gonna lie... I've seen better, I was kind of bored, but the characters are perfect. Good actors...etc

I thought they were trying to say that the little girl was haunting Betsy in order to save her from being raped. Much like for the girl in the end (the girl from this time period). Since her mother said it was a way to protect herself, and the little girl was helping her do that, but that's just my thought...

#30 bardo

bardo

Would like to sit on the clouds and watch the world

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,061 posts
  • Interests:the world here and beyond...lol anything ghosty I don't watch very much tv but when i do it's shows like supernatural.<br />I love music ....going to concerts.....groups like the dropkickmurphys,floggingmollies,pogues, some old stuff like the clash and joe strummer. I just saw Bob Dylan and The Who .<br />I like just about anything but country I do love Johnny cash though!<br />I love walking my dogs and getting outside as much as possible .<br />I plan on living until I'm at least 150 .

Posted 21 May 2006 - 06:01 PM

I don't think i will ever be able to see it.
I hav'nt seen the movie advertised anywhere near me.
They showed the previews before Silent Hill and i was looking forward to seeing it.
I wish someone would make a good ghost story! Please!
I think a great one could be done ........you know a good old fashion haunting!
Posted Image Dreams are today's answers to tomorrow's questions. Edgar Cayce

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users