An American Haunting

• Please log in to reply
41 replies to this topic

#31 iaintafraid

iaintafraid

Junior Villager

• PipPip
  • 51 posts
  • Interests:i work for a marketing company in the DC area. i am addicted to reality tv. i am a swimmer and sometimes a triathlete depending on how dedicated i am. i love to travel and love the beach.

Posted 25 May 2006 - 11:41 AM

What is the Omen about. I know its scary, but will it touch on the paranormal too? I never saw the original, but I heard its freaky.

#32 Grim Undertakings

Grim Undertakings

Voted most likely to be a janitor in Highschool

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,654 posts

Posted 25 May 2006 - 11:58 AM

Damien (the little kid in the movie) is the son of the Devil. It's a remake from the 1970's. I don't know about this one, because I haven't seen it, but the original was excellent.

I just now viewed the trailer...If only the movie was that good!

:hug:

#33 Magrathea82

Magrathea82

Junior Villager

• PipPip
  • 89 posts
  • Interests:reading, writing, ghost hunting

Posted 25 May 2006 - 02:52 PM

I read in a haunted places book, about the Bell Witch, that she terrorized John for some reason, and it got ahold of Betsy as well. I'm having a hard time believing Bell raped his daughter. Anyone know if that REALLY happened or is Hollywood (as usual) trying to twist the story into something else?
I also read on another board what a descendant of the Bell family wrote, they were descendants of one of the brothers, and that her grandfather said something along the lines of 'things aren't adding up', though I could be wrong.
When life throws you a fast one, either duck or catch

#34 softy-girl

softy-girl

Villager

• PipPipPip
  • 273 posts

Posted 26 May 2006 - 02:21 PM

I live in Tennessee and I have heard of the Bell Witch for as long as I can remember. The stories I have heard have never once mentioned that John Bell raped his daughter. It may be found somewhere in one of the many articles that have been written on the subject but I was as thrown back by the ending of the movie as everyone else.

The verison that I always heard was that Kate Bats was a witch and she cursed the bell family after John Bell cheated her out of some land (like in the movie). I don't know for certain I don't think anyone does except the ones that were involved and they have been long since dead.
You don't have to see it to believe it!

#35 beccaluvsghostsntexas

beccaluvsghostsntexas

Looking for some frozen butt snowfairies.......

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,070 posts
  • Interests:Anything paranormal!

Posted 31 May 2006 - 06:17 PM

We went & saw this movie last night & never have I been so disappointed in a movie in all my life. How can they say that the "spirit" killed John Bell when they show the wife give him something & he immediately dies? And, for them to put incest in the movie is just beyond me. It is typical Hollywood though I think....just my personal opinion. If I had the chance to do it over again I would wait until it came out on video to watch it. If you haven't seen the movie but you have seen the trailer, well, you have pretty much seen the best parts of the movie. BIG DISAPPOINTMENT HERE! If I had to rate this movie on a 1-10 basis 1 being worst, I would give it a 2 just because the trailer was good!! Don't bother spending your money if you can wait. :whoohoo: :) ;)
It's just Becca Posted Image

#36 kats_god

kats_god

Has a problem with gas?

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 30,368 posts
  • Interests:Art

Posted 31 May 2006 - 07:10 PM

I saw it last night too. I thought it was pretty good. For the most part they stayed with the true story line. I think they had the wife kill John off to make it more believable. I think its easier for people that don't know the story behind it to believe the wife would poison John over a ghost doing so.
Check out my artwork at:http://www.jimdemick.com/
and on Facebook
Posted Image https://www.facebook.com/pages/The-Art-of-Jim-Demick/261669903877527

Posted ImagePosted Image

"There are some things money can't buy...A good imagination is one of them

#37 kurlique

kurlique

• Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 05 June 2006 - 12:03 PM

CARP! My husband and I went to see The American Haunting, and wouldn't you know it the movie broke towards the end and they couldn't fix it!!!! The film broke towards the end when the mother was on the porch and the spirit, or whatever, was coming. Can someone email me and tell me what happened! We've been guessing what the end would have been since then!

Edited by MoonChild, 05 June 2006 - 12:07 PM.

#38 rigormortis

rigormortis

Junior Villager

• PipPip
  • 19 posts
  • Interests:Hunting,Race cars,drawing & My family

Posted 06 June 2006 - 08:36 AM

Ok people I'm From Robertson county (Springfield) Tn And i'm 15 Min. away from Adems Where the bell witch is,and the movie ehh it's allright i've seen better.But the story of The bell witch The Bell Family And Katie Battes(The Witches Real Name)No kin to the bell Family what so ever.Back in 1887/88 John Bell Sr. envested in some land That Katie Wanted but couldn't afford so an ongoing thing went on for years then john accualy bougt the land of katie .so on and so on Katie died and swore revenge on john and his family tormenting them night after night,but john's oldest daughter was treated very very bad by the spirit. the spirit played tricks on the middle boy . And after john sr. died she left the family alone. It's along story .even presedent Jackson came to visit once and the spirit scared him so bad he qoted ( I would rather Go up Against 5,000 British troops than meet her again). check out www.bellwitch.com www.bellwitchthehaunting.com

Edited by rigormortis, 06 June 2006 - 08:37 AM.

#39 softy-girl

softy-girl

Villager

• PipPipPip
  • 273 posts

Posted 08 June 2006 - 09:55 AM

I remember hearing about Andrew Jackson staying there.

#40 Vampchick21

Vampchick21

Looks Irish, loves Italian food, lives in Canada....must be lost

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,995 posts
  • Interests:knitting, crocheting, writing, cats, paranormal phenomena, cryptzoology, Monty Python

Posted 08 June 2006 - 10:13 AM

Ok people I'm From Robertson county (Springfield) Tn And i'm 15 Min. away from Adems Where the bell witch is,and the movie ehh it's allright i've seen better.But the story of The bell witch The Bell Family And Katie Battes(The Witches Real Name)No kin to the bell Family what so ever.Back in 1887/88 John Bell Sr. envested in some land That Katie Wanted but couldn't afford so an ongoing thing went on for years then john accualy bougt the land of katie .so on and so on Katie died and swore revenge on john and his family tormenting them night after night,but john's oldest daughter was treated very very bad by the spirit. the spirit played tricks on the middle boy . And after john sr. died she left the family alone. It's along story .even presedent Jackson came to visit once and the spirit scared him so bad he qoted ( I would rather Go up Against 5,000 British troops than meet her again). check out www.bellwitch.com www.bellwitchthehaunting.com

The actual events occured between 1817 and 1821, NOT in the late 1880's as you indicate. For proper study of the legend and events and theories surrounding it, it's probably best to NOT go to the movie website, but to other websites such as http://www.bellwitch.org

Jackson did indeed, according to accounts, visit the Bell's in 1819.

The spirit identified itself as 'Kate', and some folks in the area connected it to Kate Batts, and the bad blood between her and Mr. Bell was over slaves, although I have read also that it was over land and cattle.

Krafted with luv

by monsters

#41 softy-girl

softy-girl

Villager

• PipPipPip
  • 273 posts

Posted 08 June 2006 - 04:02 PM

Vampchick21 your website is a very good one. I have been to that site before. It is very informative.

#42 Vampchick21

Vampchick21

Looks Irish, loves Italian food, lives in Canada....must be lost

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,995 posts
  • Interests:knitting, crocheting, writing, cats, paranormal phenomena, cryptzoology, Monty Python

Posted 08 June 2006 - 07:56 PM

Vampchick21 your website is a very good one. I have been to that site before. It is very informative.

heh...well...it's not mine per say, since I actually only found it whilst surfing, but yes, it's a good one for the legend.

Krafted with luv

by monsters

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users