• Please log in to reply
37 replies to this topic

#1 Vivienne_DuBois

Vivienne_DuBois

Village Elder

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 625 posts

Posted 17 May 2006 - 11:30 PM

“Summerwind. The name evokes a picture of a stately home, light and airy, expansive windows open to the breeze. So it once was. But now this mansion, on the shore of West Bay Lake in Wisconsin’s Vilas County, is a dilapidated hulk, its windows broken, its roof rotted and its dormers filled with bats. Summerwind is the most notorious haunted house in Wisconsin...
For six months in the early 1970’s, Arnold Hinshaw, his wife, Ginger, and their six children lived at Summerwind. Within these few months, Arnold was driven mad by ghosts and his wife attempted suicide...”

(This excerpt was taken from the book “Haunted Heartland” written by Beth Scott and Michael Norman in 1985).

Summerwind, the mansion, has basically vanished in the 20+ years since this account was written by Beth Scott and Michael Norman. A fire and the elements have left only the foundation and two chimneys of this once stately mansion. But, the legends surrounding Summerwind refuse to vanish with time. In fact, Wisconsin ghost-hunters will tell you that the legend of Summerwind has only become more complex, dark and eerie with time. Something, many will say, still lurks among the ruins there.

The legend of Summerwind –

Summerwind was built in 1926 by Robert Lamont (who supposedly took a few shots at a ghostly intruder in the house). The rumors of ghosts inhabiting the mansion seemed to spring to life when Arnold and Ginger Hinshaw and their children moved into the mansion in the early 1970’s. Strange and frightening experiences abounded: shadow people, a car suddenly and inexplicably bursting into flames, disembodied voices, subcontractors refusing to perform restoration work on the house, the discovery of a corpse, demons, a nervous breakdown, a suicide attempt, the mystery of a land deed supposedly sealed within the foundation of Summerwind, shrinking and expanding rooms, possible time warps, etc. etc.

Not to mention photographic evidence of the bullet holes supposedly used to scare a ghostly intruder from the premises.

Perhaps, the most intriguing angle of the history of Summerwind is: “The Carver Effect.” This book was written by Wolffgang von Bober, Ginger’s father, and the man who bought (and, there is some speculation on whether or not he was successful in actually buying) Summerwind after his daughter tried to kill herself in the house. He had dreams of making the house into a restaurant and an inn...and, finding that mysterious land deed supposedly given to an eighteenth-century explorer named Jonathan Carver by Sioux Indians over 130 years before Summerwind was built.

Supposedly there are some paranormal ties between Summerwind, Jonathon Carver and that very land deed, hence: “The Carver Effect.” Supposedly, Jonathan Carver is still searching for his deed. And, Raymond Bober (a.k.a. Wolffgang von Bober) stated that he had been communicating with the long-dead Carver in dreams, trances and a Ouija board.

BUT, researchers have uncovered various items of interest, including the point: how could a deed, supposedly that of Jonathon Carver’s, have been buried in the foundation of Summerwind, when the house wasn’t built until 136 years after Carver’s death? Too, how could the deed have ever even been when the Sioux Indians had never owned any land east of the Mississippi (or, at least, there are no documented reports of that they had)?

Too, we must not discount the reports of people living near or in the house over the course of its “life” before the Hinshaws moved in there. Very few, it seems, ever experienced any haunting in the house (despite the occasional creepy feelings) and the only tales of hauntings that sprang up sprang up after the house became desolate and delapidated. Mind over Matter? Publicity stunt? Or, is Summerwind actually host to the paranormal? Several paranormal investigators who have recently visited the house have experienced wierd ocurrances and captured strange evidence with photos...

It is impossible to unravel all of the mysteries surrounding Summerwind. I have scoured countless reports and get a different story from nearly all of them. In my researcher’s mind, even I cannot make much sense of the legend of Summerwind and spent hours just trying to piece what reputable information I could together to present here on GV. Was/is Summerwind really haunted? Was the haunting dreamed up for publicity purposes? Or, did the lively imagination of local children staring up at the gaping holes of a once beautiful mansion take charge and lead to scary tales of all kinds?

But, does any of that matter? It doesn’t if you happen to be standing on the shore of West Bay Lake in northern Wisconsin amongst the ruins of a once beautiful mansion...and, get the eerie sense that something unearthly is lurking behind you.

(I have relied heavily on the accounts of Beth Scott and Michael Norman in the researching of my summary here because I strongly believe in their knowledge, research skills and ability to use common sense in the putting together of a reputable account of a possible haunting. I have also read accounts of reputable paranormal researchers who have studied Summerwind to verify certain accounts regarding this story).

Here are some interesting links, though, for all here at GV to check out on Summerwind:

http://www.prairiegh...com/summer.html (a good, all-around summary of Summerwind).

http://www.lakelandt...s.php?story=140 (Interesting interview with Wolffgang von Bober on Summerwind and his book "The Carver Effect." I like the end the best...if he only knew how many Wisconsin ghost hunters know the exact location of the house....)

Viv

#2 Axman

Axman

Chainsaws are better......

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,629 posts
  • Interests:Ghost hunting of course! Motorcycles is a big interest of mine. I also am a guitar player (hence my username) but I haven't practiced much over the last year or two. I also enjoy spending time with my wife and family when possible.

Posted 01 June 2006 - 12:32 AM

In 1986, the house was purchased by three investors who apparently thought that they could make a go of the place again. But it was not to be ... forces greater than man had other ideas. Summerwind was struck by lightning during a terrible storm in June of 1988 and burned to the ground.
Today, only the foundations, the stone chimneys and perhaps the ghosts remain ...

This is the part that makes me think the house was put out of it's misery.

Edited by Axman, 01 June 2006 - 12:33 AM.

Ah. Well... I attended Juilliard... I'm a graduate of the Harvard business school. I travel quite extensively. I lived through the Black Plague and had a pretty good time during that. I've seen the EXORCIST ABOUT A HUNDRED AND SIXTY-SEVEN TIMES, AND IT KEEPS GETTING FUNNIER EVERY SINGLE TIME I SEE IT... NOT TO MENTION THE FACT THAT YOU'RE TALKING TO A DEAD GUY... NOW WHAT DO YOU THINK? You think I'm qualified? --BeetlejuiceI'm the ghost with the most, babe.--BeetlejuiceWe've come for your daughter Chuck--Beetlejuice

#3 lseller

lseller

• Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 21 August 2007 - 02:17 PM

My attention has recently been drawn towards the Summerwind property and I am looking for any information on the person(s) who currently own the property.

#4 Kira

Kira

Village Elder

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,281 posts
  • Interests:Intellectual discussions about anything as long everyone respects all opinions given.<br /><br />My dogs, cooking, studying (yes), painting and decorating, and learning something new almost every day that I visit Ghostvillage.

Posted 21 August 2007 - 10:11 PM

Summerwind was the subject of an episode of "A Haunting" shown on the Discovery Channel. Very interesting account of the family that purchased the house in the 70s. They have actors play the characters, but then some of the real people narrate certain parts or answer questions and give background information. I think they had some of the daughters narrating. I can't wait to read the links you posted Viv.

Kira
The Power of 8 Make Your Wishes Come True!<-Click Here Now

#5 Oniix

Oniix

Village Elder

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,026 posts

Posted 22 August 2007 - 07:47 AM

Check with Vilas County, they should have record of it, the tax info at least should be public.

#6 Moonstruck

Moonstruck

Village Elder

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 606 posts

Posted 22 August 2007 - 08:27 AM

This was just on a repeat taping of a Haunting yesterday. Very interesting story!

#7 lseller

lseller

• Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 22 August 2007 - 08:58 AM

This was just on a repeat taping of a Haunting yesterday. Very interesting story!

Yeah I've seen it before, but it never really caught my interest untill I found out that the building itself had burned down.

#8 Oniix

Oniix

Village Elder

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,026 posts

Posted 18 March 2008 - 10:11 AM

I am reviving this thread, as I have a fascination with the place.

I attempted to locate the ruins this past September, and darn it all I drove past the drive at least 4 times. My suspicions were confirmed after looking at some impressive photos by someone that had been there in Augst I believe.

I WILL... WILLL! find Summerwind, (or what's left of her) this coming September. I plan on a pretty thorough EVP session, with several recorders going while I am there.

Anyone have any questions they would like asked while I am there? :clap:

#9 paraviews

paraviews

Villager

• PipPipPip
  • 166 posts

Posted 18 March 2008 - 07:54 PM

Yeah, Yeah, Here are a few key questions.

1. What is your name? (a basic question)
2. Did you own this property?
3. Why are you still here?
4. What year did you die?
5. Did you have anything hidden?
Posted Image

#10 Oniix

Oniix

Village Elder

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,026 posts

Posted 18 March 2008 - 08:02 PM

lol, yeah, yeah?

Basics will be covered, was looking for something profound in terms of the story behind the place.

I like your last one though.

#11 Vivienne_DuBois

Vivienne_DuBois

Village Elder

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 625 posts

Posted 18 March 2008 - 09:53 PM

It should be noted that Summerwind is on private property and it is illegal to go on the property without the express permission of the owners, themselves.

#12 Oniix

Oniix

Village Elder

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,026 posts

Posted 19 March 2008 - 08:07 AM

Absolutely, and that is already in the works. I have a long time to flesh out details.

#13 paraviews

paraviews

Villager

• PipPipPip
  • 166 posts

Posted 19 March 2008 - 05:00 PM

OK, here is another one for you then, lol. (if you liked the last one, I bet your gonna love this one) lol

If another house is build on this property, are you going to haunt it also?
Posted Image

#14 Oniix

Oniix

Village Elder

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,026 posts

Posted 01 April 2008 - 07:43 PM

NO can do, owners are not willing to be contacted about visitations to the property.

#15 tinaj76

tinaj76

• Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 11 June 2008 - 04:59 PM

NO can do, owners are not willing to be contacted about visitations to the property.

Yes it is Private Property but I have been told by many that live by there that you can go there as long as you are not making it more of a mess or taking things...... I may be wrong but we were just there a few weeks ago and walked around it for almost an hour and took pictures.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users