5 replies to this topic

#1 juliet_keller

juliet_keller

Village Elder

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,841 posts
  • Interests:Nursing, Softball, Kids, and My Man

Posted 25 May 2006 - 07:14 PM

As some of you I am in nursing, and I work at a nursing and rehabilitation center (nice term for nursing home). Even as being a paranormal investigator, I had an experience today that I was not expecting and it raised the hair on my arms. When I am at work I am so extremely busy working with my residents (patients) that most of the time I don't even take a lunch, let alone the word "paranormal" is never on my mind. I was very close with one of my residents, Dorothy, I had been taking care of her for the past 7 months. Let me tell you this lady could have you smacking your head against a wall coming out of her room with all of her request, in fact she had the suite of our nursing facility, and under our breath when her call light would come on, we would say "Queen Bee is ringing!" As much as I would want to pull out my hair over how many times she would ring and over the littlest requests and the long periods of time we would spend in her room, I really admired and would do anything for Dororthy, she was one of the "old fashioned ladies" with the high morals and values and I just really enjoy my job and believe that each and every resident should be given every bit of dignified respect and I always think on how I treat them as I would want my parents to be taken care of. So, with that being said within the last 3 weeks Dorothy's health and mental status began to decline. Like I said she was our queen bee, but for an example towards the declinement I had walked passed her room one day, she had not put on her call light, but was trying to get up on her own out of her recliener, I had immediately ran in to keep her from falling and had asked her why she did not use her light and was trying to get up, she told me she needed some tea and toast, I said it will be here in a few moments let me notify the kitchen, she said "Now make sure you bring two sets." I reassured her lunch was coming soon, but she said she needed the other tea and toast for Lestor. I said Lestor? She said yes, my husband was right here. Now Dorothy husband had been passed for 8 years. (Hey, I'm not doubting if he was there or not, heck he really could have been, you know we have all had our experinces...lol)
It never seemed to matter what I was doing or if I was with another resident, Dorothy would always want me for one reason or another and sometimes she would yell out to me "Julia (mind you she could remember everything else, just never our correct names, even when we would try to correct her) Help Me!" Of course I would smile graciously and use up every bit of patients I had, to take care of her.
Now last week on mothers day, I was working on a very sore back, bad enough that I had to leave work and get treatment at the ER for Sciatica and my upper back muscle being pulled, and I had to take a whole week off work from this. But on Mothers Day before I left, the last thing that Dorothy said to me was "Why do you take such good care of me?" I told her why and that she, while sometimes could have me completely frazzled she also was a wonderful lady that I truely admired. I told her I had to leave for that day, knowing that I was in horrific pain, she said, "Julia, please don't leave me" I told her I would be back soon (not knowing I would be out for a week) and that Valerie was taking my place. Well, sadly she passed last friday while I was scheduled off by my doctors orders. I knew her health was failing, but everyone did not expect to her to pass as quickly as she did, I surely thought she would be there when I can back. She, thankfully, passed very quickly in her sleep at 10:21 a.m. Now we run a wonderful nursing home and have a waiting list for beds, so within 2 days we have a new resident in that suite.
So, now to sum up my story since I have written a novel here. I have been back at work for 3 days now since my injury, I was scheduled on the 300 hall today, where Dorothy (now Judiths') suite is. We were getting residents to the dining room for breakfast, when I was coming up by the suite. That's when I heard her, Dorothy, call out "Julia, Help Me!" I was just about ready to walk in the suite, not remembering Dorothy had passed, when it dawned on me.. I heard her voice so clear, that I had turned to my co-worker and said did you hear that. Tracey, started to chuckle, and told me I need to get more sleep, joking at me. Tracey did not hear it, but I sure as heck did, it was Dorothy so perfectly clear that every hair stood up on my arms. My director of nursing (DON) walked by us and asked why I was so wide eyed like I had seen a ghost, I told her what I had just experienced and then every hair on her arm raised up. Well, my DON knows about Dave's and my paranormal work, she said "Julie, that's just creepy, but I believe if Dorothy were to call to you, you have a way with all the residents."
Now, I am puzzled by why she said "Help Me", everyone said that she had been unresponsive that morning and passed peacefully in her sleep. I'm guessing and speculating, because that was one way she always got my attention. I was really taken back by all this today, because it was just something that I just absolutely don't think about at work, because my mind is so focused on my job. This has been a first for me on an encounter while at work, odd things do happen time to time, and everyone jokes to come get me to investigate, but this was a big first for me. Glad to think that she called, but still puzzled and hoping that she's okay, happy and in no pain on the other side, since she said help me.
Well, if you made it through reading my book here, thank you, I know it's alot, but I want to let everyone know how I had felt about this. Thanks, Julie
You know our love was meant to be, the kind of love that lasts foreverAnd I want you here with, from tonight until the end of time,You're the meaning in my life, You're the inspiration,You bring feeling to my life, You're the inspiration,No one needs you more than I need you...You're the Inspiration~ChicagoI Love You, Baby!Julie and Dave are "The Spirit Stalkers of Ohio"www.thespiritstalkersofohio.webs.comCome see what we are all about, our galleries of evidence, and we would love for you to sign our guest book!

#2 GhostCat

GhostCat

Certified husband trainer....guaranteed he won't track dirt

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 885 posts
  • Interests:Travelling New England by land and sea, local history, houses - as I am a real estate appraiser, I teach Special Education too, love all the kids I work with... they teach me too, lol, and add lots of smiles to my day....my cats, my goffin cockatoo parrot that is loud, smart and talkative, walking, bicycling, skiing, ice hockey, watching the Patriots, the Bruins and the Red Sox (Woo Hoo.. Fenway Painters..My sister and brother in laws business that paint the Park and my nephew that paints the famous "green monster") lighthouses, antiques, gardening, trying new restaurants, classic movies (love Cary Grant and Alfred Hitchcock), big band music, laughing and being around others that like to laugh, ghost stories - I love to hear other peoples experiences as I have so many to tell myself.

Posted 25 May 2006 - 07:59 PM

What an experience, it was like she was waiting around for you to come back from being out. As for her wanting an extra tea and toast for Lestor, wow. I have had some similar experiences with elderly relatives talking about a deceased spouse/friend/relative right before they pass away. They spoke as if that person were right there with them in the room. Dorothy sounds like she was quite the character. You have such an important job Julia, it must be so tough at times, physically and emotional. Glad you shared the story.
"Women and cats will do as they please, and men and dogs should relax and get used to the idea."-- Robert A. Heinlein

#3 juliet_keller

juliet_keller

Village Elder

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,841 posts
  • Interests:Nursing, Softball, Kids, and My Man

Posted 25 May 2006 - 10:47 PM

Thanks ghostcat! Dorothy really was a lady through and through, she would not leave her room unless her face was on, clothing just right, jewlery on, shaw on her shoulders, and kleenexes by her side. While it normally takes about 20 minutes for patient care in the morning on one resident, I would be in her room for 45 minutes. She could drive me nuts, but I really thought the world of her and admired her so much for her lady qualities. After her passing we were reading her obituary. She really was a "queen bee" Her husband had been the CEO of Key Banks and she was the executive secretary. It is hard all of us when any resident passes, and I guess I'm taking it somewhat hard on myself, when I tell a resident anything, I always follow up and make sure my promise is kept for even the simplest request...so when she said don't leave and I told her I would be back, I had no intention that she wouldn't be there. We had just put her on hospice care and usually it can be weeks or even months before their passing. Dorothy took us all by surprise. That's why I hope that she has reached good hands on the other side and that was just a sign that she was okay because she would think that I would know. I knew it was her the moment I heard her say, Julia, she is the only one who called me that and I could pin point her voice anywhere. I am still in shock over this, it keeps replaying in my mind. Julie
You know our love was meant to be, the kind of love that lasts foreverAnd I want you here with, from tonight until the end of time,You're the meaning in my life, You're the inspiration,You bring feeling to my life, You're the inspiration,No one needs you more than I need you...You're the Inspiration~ChicagoI Love You, Baby!Julie and Dave are "The Spirit Stalkers of Ohio"www.thespiritstalkersofohio.webs.comCome see what we are all about, our galleries of evidence, and we would love for you to sign our guest book!

#4 Bronte

Bronte

Junior Villager

• PipPip
  • 13 posts

Posted 26 May 2006 - 02:53 PM

Julie,
It's seems the more demanding are the closest to your hearts and I'm so sorry to hear about her passing while you were gone! My DH works in a similar facility. He told me after one of his favorite residents...a chronic call button pusher and always wanting him :angry:...passed, her empty bed called the nurse station for two nights after she had gone. You can always look at Lestor's visit as him waiting to bring her home and I'm sure hearing her voice wasn't so much her needing help but just letting you know without a shadow of a doubt who it was.
Take Care,
Bronte

#5 rat girl

rat girl

Iron Strangler that feasts on beer!

• PipPipPipPip
  • 436 posts
  • Interests:my interests are reading, anything on the paranormal - checking out other peoples ghost photos and watching horror movie, reading anything by Richard Laymon, i like photoshop and other photograph program's. I live in Scotland with my partner, we have a mini zoo in our house. At the moment we have 4 rats, unfortunately 8 of our ratties have passed away, we also have 2 guinea pigs, a rabbit, a corn snake, a bearded dragon and 2 degus!!

Posted 06 June 2006 - 06:27 PM

what a wonderful thing to happen!!

i dont think you have to worry - i think she was paying you a visit and she knew that if she said what she normally said to you then you would know its was her. :)
Posted Image

#6 Juniper

Juniper

Junior Villager

• PipPip
  • 50 posts
  • Interests:i love food.

Posted 07 June 2006 - 02:17 AM

I work at a nursing home too and i beleive you when you say that creeped you out! of coarse i've had residents tell me that henry or someone was talking to them or sitting by them etc. and sometimes their lasting impressions are there for awhile. but it is really creepy when you know they're gone and you KNOW you just heard them when you're walking down the hall! i feel for you, but it's also cool she liked you enough to keep talking to you after she passed! It only happens to the best of us when you work in a nursing home. Because some ppl who work there are heartless and probably won't ever experience these sort of things.

Edited by Juniper, 07 June 2006 - 02:19 AM.

Posted ImagePosted ImagePosted ImagePosted ImagePosted ImagePosted ImagePosted Image

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users