Cats and the paranormal

• Please log in to reply
40 replies to this topic

#1 saakshi

saakshi

Junior Villager

• PipPip
  • 16 posts
  • Interests:Egyptology,Paranormal,Books,Music,Historical legends,Spirituality and Religion

Posted 04 June 2006 - 11:25 AM

Hi there
Well I have always wondered about the relationship between cats and the paranormal..The problem is that we are exposed to so many movies that do not bring out the truth of the paranormal...mostly whatever information we get is distorted...Are cats related to Wicca alone and what about their importabce in Egyptian culture and religion???..what is the true legend and I wonder if anyone has seen the movie catwoman???
well the explanations given in the movie?? are they factual?? If anyone can help me out on this I wud very much appreciate it...I have always had doubts regarding the association of animals and the paranormal,since there are a bunch of misunderstandings as well...

#2 spooksareus

spooksareus

Graceful leader of men who harvests wheat

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,003 posts
  • Interests:Healthy friends, supernatural science (oxy morans, lol!), cooking & baking, all animals, playing music (mostly jazz), art (all mediums), interesting & open minded people, truth, justice and liberal politics...

Posted 04 June 2006 - 11:53 AM

Yes, cats are a mystery to say the least, and they seem to have an undeniable tie to the world of the supernatural.
Most cultures in both the ancient and modern world relate some sort of paranormal power to our lovely felines friends, and I certainly find them to be a very weird and wonderful lot indeed.

Here is a true story you might enjoy reading about a cat that seemed to have a premonition of doom for one of his pet humans...

Patches
from Alice Thompson

A True Story of the Paranormal, Featuring a Cat Named Patches
For as long as I remember, I've believed animals knew things we didn't, but it took Patches, a frail, calico, neighborhood cat, to prove it to me. This story happened in Baltimore City, a most-of the time good place to live and home for me and Patches. But like most big cities, Baltimore is plaqued with increasing crime.

http://cats.about.co...d/a/patches.htm

"It is perfectly monstrous the way people go about, nowadays, saying things against one behind one's back that are absolutely and entirely true." -Oscar Wilde “The Picture of Dorian Gray”

#3 saakshi

saakshi

Junior Villager

• PipPip
  • 16 posts
  • Interests:Egyptology,Paranormal,Books,Music,Historical legends,Spirituality and Religion

Posted 04 June 2006 - 11:59 AM

Hi there
Thanks a looot! yes Iwill definitely look into the link..thank u for sharing ur thoughts...:-) take care and keep smiling :-)

#4 spooksareus

spooksareus

Graceful leader of men who harvests wheat

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,003 posts
  • Interests:Healthy friends, supernatural science (oxy morans, lol!), cooking & baking, all animals, playing music (mostly jazz), art (all mediums), interesting & open minded people, truth, justice and liberal politics...

Posted 04 June 2006 - 01:19 PM

Hi there
Thanks a looot! yes Iwill definitely look into the link..thank u for sharing ur thoughts...:-) take care and keep smiling :-)

You're welcome :ghost:

"It is perfectly monstrous the way people go about, nowadays, saying things against one behind one's back that are absolutely and entirely true." -Oscar Wilde “The Picture of Dorian Gray”

#5 Mist

Mist

Village Elder

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,977 posts
  • Interests:Ghosts, dancing, writing and tornados. Long baths are a great relaxer! Love meeting people. Going for walks. I love to write poems and short stories. Enjoy meeting new people, making new friends. Getting out of the city for a weekend is my fav thing to do but can't always do it. LOL

Posted 04 June 2006 - 05:25 PM

I know my cats see things I don't. I have felt that a spirit was in my home and my cats react to it.
Posted Image

#6 jackskelington

jackskelington

• Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 13 June 2006 - 06:07 AM

if you want to feel the prescene i learn this myself when your cats are sleeping in the family room or living room the cat will stare at the back furiously at something

i learn this when i started to stare my cats behaviour when i found out ...suddenly the winds that kept blowing inside my house is really cold like 1 seconds and i was like "what the -- is happend "

i just wondering if that will work again

#7 jakob493

jakob493

Very greedy and not happy with just one tag

• PipPipPipPip
  • 427 posts

Posted 20 June 2006 - 12:23 AM

My cat is like that too, sometimes she has this really deep stare at something for a really long time.... but then again she also stares at walls and jumps up attacking them... probably hallucinating something.

#8 Yosei

Yosei

Thinks bats and skeletons are.....CUTE?

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,560 posts

Posted 20 June 2006 - 01:50 PM

I've had a few of what I believe could be telepathic incidents with one of my cats in particular. It's kind of hard to be sure, since there's no way to verbally check with him, how much is just in my own head, but it wouldn't surprise me to learn that they were, indeed, real. Once, he was sitting on the end of the bed looking rather depressed and unhappy, and I had this very powerful urge to meow in a specific tone. Immediately on doing so, he jumped up with a surprised look and started rubbing against me purring and remained in apparently good spirits for the rest of the day. I don't know what I said in kitty language there, but since that time I've never been able to duplicate that tone( not even close enough for my ears, let alone for a cat to hear) on my own when trying to. It'd be nice to know how to do that---and what it was!
"I could die a thousand times, but I'll always be here..."---Rozz Williams"It's not the sound of a new generation, it is the noise of a degenerate nation...the Nightmare of the American Dream..."---DomianaNeed gifts for goths? Handmade jewelry, clothing, porcelain & more! http://www.accentuateyourlook.com

#9 Vampchick21

Vampchick21

Looks Irish, loves Italian food, lives in Canada....must be lost

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,995 posts
  • Interests:knitting, crocheting, writing, cats, paranormal phenomena, cryptzoology, Monty Python

Posted 20 June 2006 - 03:54 PM

Are cats related to Wicca alone and what about their importabce in Egyptian culture and religion???..what is the true legend and I wonder if anyone has seen the movie catwoman???
well the explanations given in the movie?? are they factual?? If anyone can help me out on this I wud very much appreciate it...I have always had doubts regarding the association of animals and the paranormal,since there are a bunch of misunderstandings as well...

I'm not exactly sure what you mean when you ask if cats are related to Wicca alone.

In the Egyptian culture, cats were seen as sacred to the Goddess Baset (there's many spellings). When I get home I can post some more detail on that (no books here at my office). I'm not sure what legend you are referring too....and while I've never seen Catwoman, honestly, I would take anything given as an explaination in a Hollywood Action Film with a grain of sea salt.

So, for better answers....lol....I need to know what you mean regarding Cats and Wicca, and what legend it is that you are asking about that seems to relate to Egypt and the movie Catwoman.

Krafted with luv

by monsters

#10 heavenlee

heavenlee

Senior Villager

• PipPipPipPip
  • 438 posts
  • Interests:Ghost hunting, psychic awareness, angels, mediums, old grave yards any graveyard.lol! I hate ufo paranormal it scares the jibes out of me.

Posted 22 June 2006 - 11:22 PM

I remember reading about black felines and witches. Black cats were choosen because they could actually block evil/ black spells from the witch, they would use black cats so they could cast neg. spells and the cat would soak up the bad energies,(the threefold karma thing maybe?) without harming the cat. My older cat(shes 11 months) Shes beautiful, silky black hair and the greenest eyes. They are actually the color of a green appple. She actually morphs...no kidddin! She is all happy purring and all of a sudden her eyes turn black, hair stands off her head, ears go back...and then she bites! I dont understand what makes her do this. The baby 6 weeks...She literly choose us. I was pickin up the oldest from being spaded and went to see her in the back and there was this little black kitten in a cage. She just wanted my attention. After this huge vet bill a new cat was the last thing on my mind. I picked this lil one up and her eyes reminded me of the ocean in mexico. The Ocean goes from green, to turquios, to light blue then deep blue. My hubby and i had our honeymoon in mexico. After looking at those eyes i was hooked. I wound up going back and getting her. Shes the most loving cat( She wants to be carried around in a baby pouch skin to fur all day. but the trinity hour sucks! 3am she starts her round of taking nibbles out of our toes. and pawing at our faces. Its always 3ish she does this. Ive tried changing her daily naps still 3am and tallulah is going vampire on us. Anyone know whats up with that?~heavenlee

Edited by heavenlee, 22 June 2006 - 11:23 PM.

Dont be afraid of the dead its the living you should fear!Posted Image

#11 snakebiteoftexas

snakebiteoftexas

Senior Villager

• PipPipPipPip
  • 444 posts
  • Interests:searching for haunted places as i drive cross country in my 18 wheeler with my lovely wife and meeting people to go ghost hunting with and playing fantasy sports

Posted 28 June 2006 - 08:39 PM

i have three cats and around 3 am they seem to want to run and go crazy a lot of times they stare at something i cant see maybe i should snap some pics
Posted ImageWWW.SOUTHERNSPIRITSEEKERSOCIETY.COM

#12 Crone

Crone

Village Elder

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 999 posts
  • Interests:Paranormal investigations, reading, crafts, Genealogy, Renaissance Faires,

Posted 29 June 2006 - 08:49 PM

Cats are great at picking up things we cannot hear or see. One of my cats (I have two) has a habit of sitting outside my bedroom door and crying and clawing at the door. This is the only room in the house that is off-limits to them, so at first I thought it was just kitty curiosity. I finally broke down and let him in for a while, but that didn't seem to satisfy him. He acted very nervous and wary in the bedroom. To this day he still occasionally sits outside the door and crys and howls. This room has had spirit activity, so I simply acknowlege that he senses when there is something in there.
Still crazy after all these years. ....Paul Simon.... “What you leave behind is not what is engraved in stone monuments, but what is woven into the lives of others.” ....Pericles......

#13 civilwarbuff

civilwarbuff

Junior Villager

• PipPip
  • 101 posts
  • Interests:making my crafts,love anything that has to do with american history.but mostly civil war.love to read ghost books.go to civil war battlefields.those are haunted to.so i get the history with the ghosts.

Posted 30 June 2006 - 06:01 PM

as for my cat she likes to pounce on me at night when im trying sleep.which makes me scream.i dont like to not know whats coming at me.she always does this at 3 am to.she also like to pounce on me during the day and night when im not paying any attention to her and bite me.i have had other cats in the past.they have never done this.i wonder why she does this and not to my hubby.when i scold her for doing something she gets even with me and does this to.like i can get back at you.but the biting thing really ticks me off.so i put her in cat carrier which she hates.thats her dog house so to speak.....thats only when i can get a hold of her though.most times after she knows shes done bad she hides under the kitchen table...like you cant get me mommy.........but i can make meows like she does to..
does anyone else have this problem with the pouncing and biting?
when sliding down the bannister of life, may the splinters never point the wrong way...an irish blessing.......may those that love us, love us, as for those that dont love us, may God turn their hearts.and if God cant turn their hearts, may God turn their ankles, so we will know them by their limp.

#14 Crone

Crone

Village Elder

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 999 posts
  • Interests:Paranormal investigations, reading, crafts, Genealogy, Renaissance Faires,

Posted 02 July 2006 - 08:02 AM

as for my cat she likes to pounce on me at night when im trying sleep.which makes me scream.i dont like to not know whats coming at me.she always does this at 3 am to.she also like to pounce on me during the day and night when im not paying any attention to her and bite me.i have had other cats in the past.they have never done this.i wonder why she does this and not to my hubby.when i scold her for doing something she gets even with me and does this to.like i can get back at you.but the biting thing really ticks me off.so i put her in cat carrier which she hates.thats her dog house so to speak.....thats only when i can get a hold of her though.most times after she knows shes done bad she hides under the kitchen table...like you cant get me mommy.........but i can make meows like she does to..

Cats are, for the most part, nocturnal, so 3 am may well be part of her play time. Try keeping your bedroom door closed at night, to set up a boundary. The pouncing is probably another method of play. If she does it frequently during the day, keep a small spray bottle with you that's filled with water, and give her a little squirt when she does this. It takes some time for cat's to unlearn behavior, but your time willl be well worth it. As for the biting....my male cat bites, but his are more like little nips that don't break the skin. He doesn't lick people like other cats do, and this is his way of giving little kisses. Anything more aggressive should probably be brought to the attention of your vet. Hope this helps.
Still crazy after all these years. ....Paul Simon.... “What you leave behind is not what is engraved in stone monuments, but what is woven into the lives of others.” ....Pericles......

#15 civilwarbuff

civilwarbuff

Junior Villager

• PipPip
  • 101 posts
  • Interests:making my crafts,love anything that has to do with american history.but mostly civil war.love to read ghost books.go to civil war battlefields.those are haunted to.so i get the history with the ghosts.

Posted 03 July 2006 - 07:33 AM

Cats are, for the most part, nocturnal, so 3 am may well be part of her play time. Try keeping your bedroom door closed at night, to set up a boundary. The pouncing is probably another method of play. If she does it frequently during the day, keep a small spray bottle with you that's filled with water, and give her a little squirt when she does this. It takes some time for cat's to unlearn behavior, but your time willl be well worth it. As for the biting....my male cat bites, but his are more like little nips that don't break the skin. He doesn't lick people like other cats do, and this is his way of giving little kisses. Anything more aggressive should probably be brought to the attention of your vet. Hope this helps.

thanks crone.we did try to keep our door shut.but that didnt work.she would paw on the door all night.we have to do the same to the bathroom or she paws on the sink cabinet.which wakes me up.im a light sleeper.she loves to follow me everywhere.even when i take a bath.shes like a dog.she likes to sit right near the tub to keep watch.she also likes to eat the bath bubbles like dogs do.silly kitty. :whee:
when sliding down the bannister of life, may the splinters never point the wrong way...an irish blessing.......may those that love us, love us, as for those that dont love us, may God turn their hearts.and if God cant turn their hearts, may God turn their ankles, so we will know them by their limp.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users