Click Here To Visit Our Sponsor

Photo

what is the basic legend of vampires and what are the usual misconceptions regarding them?

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 saakshi

saakshi

Junior Villager

• PipPip
  • 16 posts
  • Interests:Egyptology,Paranormal,Books,Music,Historical legends,Spirituality and Religion

Posted 07 June 2006 - 12:09 PM

Hi there
I was wondering about this,u see we have seen innumerable movies featuring vampires...but what exactly is the true legend of vampires...are they really villanous and what are the usual misconceptions regarding vampires...

ook moonie tell me what u think abt this..u see I just came across a book bt Anne Rice...u knw interview wth a vampire..it was made into a movie...well I didnt enjoy the book but I became curious and thot I cud ask the opinion of those who are familiar wth ths topic..:-)

#2 MoonChild

MoonChild

Undead giant that feasts on hotdogs!

• Town Council
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 50,391 posts
  • Interests:Life

Posted 07 June 2006 - 12:10 PM

I have been intrested in Vampres ever since I can remember. Even though there are reports of real vampire sightings (check these links High Gate Vampire Mercy Brown).

What I believe is tha vampirism is humankinds one of the many answers for eternal life, blood the life giver, and the magnetism of supernatural.

I am a die hard Vampire fan, so is VampChick and Willow and Bathory and a dozen others in here! Posted Image
Posted Image

#3 DukeofBoogie

DukeofBoogie

Did the Time Warp at his wedding!

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,274 posts
  • Interests:The Paranormal, Rock music, Movies, History (Especially the American Civil War), and spending time with my wife and daughter.

Posted 07 June 2006 - 12:53 PM

From what I've read in the past, the Vampire lore is a bit different from the romanticized ones you come across in books and movies.

They slept in the dirt, rose at night to feed. They smelled awful, etc. It's been awhil, I have to look up the rest. Check out The book Vampires by Konstaninos. The first half of that book deals with Vampire lore, the second half is about psychic vampires. It's a good read.
http://www.facebook....59567008?v=wallhttp://www.cdbaby.co...eblackriverboyshttp://www.zoarcivilwar.com/In great deeds something abides. On great fields something stays.....Spirits linger, to consecrate ground for the vision place of souls. And reverent men and women from afar, and generations that know us not and that we know not of, heart-drawn to where and by whom great things were suffered and done for them, shall come to this deathless field, to ponder and dream; and lo! The shadow of a mighty presence shall wrap them in its bosom, and the power of the vision pass into thier soles.-Joshua Lawrence Chamberlain

I've been hit byPosted Image mrsspookypants

#4 mattsin30

mattsin30

Senior Villager

• PipPipPipPip
  • 469 posts

Posted 07 June 2006 - 01:04 PM

What I have learned about supposed vampires in the New England Area was that it was more of a witch hunt so to say mixed with Tuberculosis and people thinking a recently deceased person was the cause they would dig up the grave see if there is any new blood in thier hearts. If they found new blood they would cut out the heart and Burn it on a nearby stone in the cemetery. My sources for this are Carl and Keith Johnson they extensivley researched Vampire lore. Alos TAPS paramagazine just printed a story on another Vampire who was mistaken by a couple of high school students once thier teacher told them there was a vampire buried in a cemetery down the road. as the story goes the kids went to the wrong cemetery found a name as described although it was wrong the tombstone read ill be waiting and watching you. Since then they have had to remove the gravestone because of the desecration of it. If you want more info on New England Vampires Keith Johnson from Ghost Hunters has a book coming out soon. Or visit thier site at www.NEARparanormal.com

Edited by mattsin30, 07 June 2006 - 01:06 PM.

#5 Guest_Guest_*

Guest_Guest_*
  • Guests

Posted 07 June 2006 - 01:17 PM

From what I've read in the past, the Vampire lore is a bit different from the romanticized ones you come across in books and movies.

They slept in the dirt, rose at night to feed. They smelled awful, etc. It's been awhil, I have to look up the rest. Check out The book Vampires by Konstaninos. The first half of that book deals with Vampire lore, the second half is about psychic vampires. It's a good read.

Sounds like a normal,poor and homeless person, and I dont mean this to be funny, not at all.
Oh, and by the way, I do believe in vampires, only I call them politicans. But of course I cant say this
on a paranormal forum, because the " powers to be" like Ms. Spooky Pants " will deny me those rights.

Thats life kids... and thats death too.

If anyone wants to really discuss metaphysics then ask Moonchild if I am real.

Blessings, and with respect for all your opinions.

Ayna

#6 nohara_megami

nohara_megami

Villager

• PipPipPip
  • 255 posts
  • Interests:darn, so many:<br>reading books by:<br> 1. Marrion Zimmer Badley<br> 2. Terry Brooks<br> 3. Amy Tan<br> 4. Susan Cooper<br> 5. Anne Rice<br> 6. and an infinate amount of others, i read everything and anything<br><br>anime:<br> 1. Escaflowne<br> 2. Fushigi Yugi<br> 3. Miyaziaki movies<br> 4. and once again, anything and everything<br><br>crafts:<br> 1. needlepoint<br> 2. scrapbooking<br> 3. and whatever else i do not blow up in the process^_^<br><br>also:<br>videogames, playing on the comp, researching the paranormal, listening and playing music, and anything else that comes to mind:)

Posted 07 June 2006 - 07:20 PM

ook moonie tell me what u think abt this..u see I just came across a book bt Anne Rice...u knw interview wth a vampire..it was made into a movie...well I didnt enjoy the book but I became curious and thot I cud ask the opinion of those who are familiar wth ths topic..:-)

Personally, I LOVE vampires and vamp lore, and I do enjoy the Vampire Chronicles by Anne Rice, and even though I almost hate to admit it those are not the best vampire novels out there. I could give you a huge list of novels that are well written, but that will take a while lol

Personally, I have found that novels about vampires are as diverse as the legends themselves, and the same applies to movies. Each region has their own type of vampire lore, and as more and more come out more misconceptions and variations come out too.

Well, I guess what I am saying is that the more you read and watch things that are about vampires, it seems after a while you come up with your own mixed version about what a vampire is, at least with me. I have read so many novels about vampires, and there is almost never anything that fits with all of them, maybe the idea that they are nocturnal creatures and need blood to survive......but beyond that all other ideas vary story to story (which can be really fustrating)

So my advice would be read all you can and essentially make your own defination of a vampire if possible.
Hellsing: In the name of God, impure souls of the living dead shall be banished into eternal damnation. Amen.I don't suffer from insanity, I enjoy every minute of it!Rome did not create an empire by having meetings. They did it by killing those who opposed them.Witches... Not just for burning.

#7 Mistteak

Mistteak

Junior Villager

• PipPip
  • 125 posts
  • Interests:horses<br />animals<br />ghosts<br />this site

Posted 08 June 2006 - 04:52 AM

I have a book called the dracula scap book. The first real fiction book was Dracula by bram stoker .. but this book tells of those 'real' people like the fifteenth century prince from transylvanian provience called Vlad the impaller .. do a google search on him and a hungarian countess called elizabeth bathory she was a sweetheart!!

i think they were the basis of the fiction characters

#8 DukeofBoogie

DukeofBoogie

Did the Time Warp at his wedding!

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,274 posts
  • Interests:The Paranormal, Rock music, Movies, History (Especially the American Civil War), and spending time with my wife and daughter.

Posted 08 June 2006 - 05:47 AM

Correction:

The Book I mentioned befor is called Vampires: The Occult Truth by Konstantinos.
http://www.facebook....59567008?v=wallhttp://www.cdbaby.co...eblackriverboyshttp://www.zoarcivilwar.com/In great deeds something abides. On great fields something stays.....Spirits linger, to consecrate ground for the vision place of souls. And reverent men and women from afar, and generations that know us not and that we know not of, heart-drawn to where and by whom great things were suffered and done for them, shall come to this deathless field, to ponder and dream; and lo! The shadow of a mighty presence shall wrap them in its bosom, and the power of the vision pass into thier soles.-Joshua Lawrence Chamberlain

I've been hit byPosted Image mrsspookypants

#9 saakshi

saakshi

Junior Villager

• PipPip
  • 16 posts
  • Interests:Egyptology,Paranormal,Books,Music,Historical legends,Spirituality and Religion

Posted 08 June 2006 - 12:55 PM

THankx a looot eevrybody that was really nice of u to help...yes Iwill definitely look up the sites and see if I can get hold of the books and the novel each of u suggested,thanx again...takec are all of u and God Bless :-) sorry earlier I had posted the reply without registering...

#10 jakob493

jakob493

Very greedy and not happy with just one tag

• PipPipPipPip
  • 427 posts

Posted 08 June 2006 - 01:28 PM

Also, go to Wikipedia.org and search for 'vampires', 'dracula' or 'Vlad the Implaler', etc. I have an old book that has a section on the truth behind vampire lore. I'll look around and see if I can find it. I think these guys up here got most of the info though. :D

#11 Mistteak

Mistteak

Junior Villager

• PipPip
  • 125 posts
  • Interests:horses<br />animals<br />ghosts<br />this site

Posted 10 June 2006 - 04:59 AM

Good old Drac fasinated me four years .. so did the stories about vlad and elizabeth .. they are scary .. they were human!!// as for real vamps?? not many real stories that match the fiction can I find

#12 hauntedgirl23

hauntedgirl23

Junior Villager

• PipPip
  • 28 posts

Posted 10 June 2006 - 02:30 PM

I've always been intrested in vampires. But never found anyone intrested in them as much as I am.

""What I believe is tha vampirism is humankinds one of the many answers for eternal life, blood the life giver, and the magnetism of supernatural.""

I agree with you totally.
~Bre~~Watched Over by Rich: my deceased uncle.~

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users