Schizophrenia & Sensory Perception

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 Mr Eamcat

Mr Eamcat

Junior Villager

• PipPip
  • 54 posts
  • Interests:Theology, Philosophy, Jungian Psychology, Forteana, My Partner &amp; Kids, My Blog, Chocolate, Movies, Reading, Nature, Walking,<br />Meditation &amp; Hatha Yoga.

Posted 14 June 2006 - 06:58 AM

I have an odd sort of take on reality - half scientific, half spiritual.

For this post I'm plugging in my scientific head & musing over this possibility:

Is schizophrenia a natural component of human evolution?

We alone, as far as we are aware, are the only animals on the planet that can engage in abstract thought.
We view reality through various abstract means: Mathematics, Science, Art, Music, Religion.......

It has been suggested that early humans made the leap across the evolutionary gap from other apes by inheriting an aptness for abstract thought & pragmatism & that an element of shizophrenic behaviour was responsible for this.

Indeed, we may never have evolved to be the fine animal we are today without this behavioural anomaly.

Now schizophrenia affects people indifferent ways - but always makes the sensory perception of reality difficult or at least different than most people.

What scienctists are suggesting is that whilst we may not all have full blown schizoid tendencies, we do still have the basic abilities to view reality abstractly sometimes & this could account for visions, apparitions, olfactory & visual stimulii etc etc......

I like this theory as I think evolution has many strings to it's bow and not all are being fully researched.

Whilst I like the idea of spooky goings on, I do think that a lot of things can be explained with this theory.

#2 Ayna

Ayna

Villager

• Banned
  • PipPipPip
  • 160 posts
  • Interests:The sea in UAE, the mountains in Munich (divided living ) my 2 beautiful children My horses, my dog<br />My husband ( when hes home ) LOL. <br />The teachings of Daskalos. Buddhism. Jane Austen, Charles Dickens. Home and exotic cooking. + Jamie Olivers Recipes.<br />Interior decorating, and about a million other things...

Posted 14 June 2006 - 10:55 AM

I have an odd sort of take on reality - half scientific, half spiritual.

For this post I'm plugging in my scientific head & musing over this possibility:

Is schizophrenia a natural component of human evolution?

We alone, as far as we are aware, are the only animals on the planet that can engage in abstract thought.
We view reality through various abstract means: Mathematics, Science, Art, Music, Religion.......

It has been suggested that early humans made the leap across the evolutionary gap from other apes by inheriting an aptness for abstract thought & pragmatism & that an element of shizophrenic behaviour was responsible for this.

Indeed, we may never have evolved to be the fine animal we are today without this behavioural anomaly.

Now schizophrenia affects people indifferent ways - but always makes the sensory perception of reality difficult or at least different than most people.

What scienctists are suggesting is that whilst we may not all have full blown schizoid tendencies, we do still have the basic abilities to view reality abstractly sometimes & this could account for visions, apparitions, olfactory & visual stimulii etc etc......

I like this theory as I think evolution has many strings to it's bow and not all are being fully researched.

Whilst I like the idea of spooky goings on, I do think that a lot of things can be explained with this theory.

Ive found in my experience that people who are fascinated by schizophrenia, usually are !!!

We humans are unfortunately not " fine animals" I would not insult an animal by describing it as being human.

Sensory perception is all that is left to a " grounded human" Some of us dont need it. We have delveloped the other senses too.

We can be so much more than we are. We are not limited to our bodies and brains.

Science ? what is that ? Its a human seeking to try to explain the Divine.

God has a sense of humor.
A life without festivity is like a long journey without rest. ( Demokrit. 460-370 BC ) God didnt give me a brain just to fill the space between my ears. ( Ayna- ca. 1992 !!! ) I am the seed of all things that are ( Krishna )

#3 Mr Eamcat

Mr Eamcat

Junior Villager

• PipPip
  • 54 posts
  • Interests:Theology, Philosophy, Jungian Psychology, Forteana, My Partner &amp; Kids, My Blog, Chocolate, Movies, Reading, Nature, Walking,<br />Meditation &amp; Hatha Yoga.

Posted 14 June 2006 - 11:10 AM

Ive found in my experience that people who are fascinated by schizophrenia, usually are !!!

We humans are unfortunately not " fine animals" I would not insult an animal by describing it as being human.

Sensory perception is all that is left to a " grounded human" Some of us dont need it. We have delveloped the other senses too.

We can be so much more than we are. We are not limited to our bodies and brains.

Well, I thought I was schizophrenic, which is why I've researched it, until I was diagnosed with Chronic Fatigue Syndrome & Caffeine intolerance.

Whether you take a positive or negative view on Humanity, we have accomplished many, many fine things as well as some very poor ones too - whichever way you look at it, we are remarkable animals and that's all we are - animals.

I haven't said that human perception is limited, indeed from personal experience I know it's not, as you will find out as I build up my number of posts.

I know many scientists that would reverse your statement & make it work against you.

My view is that science & religion can & do work together and need to to explain reality - neither can accomplish that alone.

Please don't misinterpret my post above, I don't mean to belittle anyone or their abilities - only open up the way for discussion by throwing some wood on the speculative fire.

#4 Mr Eamcat

Mr Eamcat

Junior Villager

• PipPip
  • 54 posts

Posted 14 June 2006 - 11:21 AM

Ah, heck - I was timed out on edit just imagine that this is part of my post above:

Science is a tool that we use to categorise & theorise reality, you can't go around saying that Divine Force combines 2 atoms of hydrogen with one of oxygen to create water, or that God makes the oceans tidal - but by contrast neither can you categorise or theorise about love, about faith & belief.

No one knows what consciouness is - the scientist may call it a result of learnt experiences, the theologist may call it spirit or soul.

Tom-ah-to, tom-ay-to let's call the whole thing off. :clap:

#5 Ayna

Ayna

Villager

• Banned
  • PipPipPip
  • 160 posts
  • Interests:The sea in UAE, the mountains in Munich (divided living ) my 2 beautiful children My horses, my dog<br />My husband ( when hes home ) LOL. <br />The teachings of Daskalos. Buddhism. Jane Austen, Charles Dickens. Home and exotic cooking. + Jamie Olivers Recipes.<br />Interior decorating, and about a million other things...

Posted 14 June 2006 - 12:27 PM

Well, I thought I was schizophrenic, which is why I've researched it, until I was diagnosed with Chronic Fatigue Syndrome & Caffeine intolerance.

Whether you take a positive or negative view on Humanity, we have accomplished many, many fine things as well as some very poor ones too - whichever way you look at it, we are remarkable animals and that's all we are - animals.

I haven't said that human perception is limited, indeed from personal experience I know it's not, as you will find out as I build up my number of posts.

I know many scientists that would reverse your statement & make it work against you.

My view is that science & religion can & do work together and need to to explain reality - neither can accomplish that alone.

Please don't misinterpret my post above, I don't mean to belittle anyone or their abilities - only open up the way for discussion by throwing some wood on the speculative fire.

OOO, you do have an EGO, dont you ? " building up a number of posts " very interesting indeed. So you have a strategy already planned.

Im not interested in scientists. I have been clairvoyant since my childhood. i.e. I was born with it. I didnt want it and I dont enjoy it particularly. No scientist can explain this. They can sit over their formulas and their calculations till the " cows come home" as my Gran used to say. There are some things non-explainable. I also have no direction as regards religion. I dont want to be a part of another excuse for some who used this as a shield for their own sick perversions and thus wiped out others who were not of like mind with themselves.

Science is only interesting if it serves to improve the lot of mankind. The same goes for Religion. I am neither one or the other.

What is reality ???? Whose reality ? What kind of reality ?

I respect your posts and I respect your search. I think, according to the laws of sychronicity, you may be just beginning to get the answers you want.

A life without festivity is like a long journey without rest. ( Demokrit. 460-370 BC ) God didnt give me a brain just to fill the space between my ears. ( Ayna- ca. 1992 !!! ) I am the seed of all things that are ( Krishna )

#6 Mr Eamcat

Mr Eamcat

Junior Villager

• PipPip
  • 54 posts

Posted 15 June 2006 - 02:54 AM

OOO, you do have an EGO, dont you ? " building up a number of posts " very interesting indeed. So you have a strategy already planned.

Gosh, I detect a hint of sarcasm Ayna, surely not? - all I mean is that I look forward to sharing my experiences with you all and see myself posting quite a bit more here in the future - don't read too much between the lines, my dear ;)

You seem to have gone round in circles and come up with the same point that I've raised - reality is more complex than anyone knows and it's by using the systems we know - or are tuned into - that we can navigate around our own personal reality.

What i've said - to clarify my first post - is that maybe we all have the potential to view our reality in abstract ways due to a quirk in the evolutionary process.

I'm not saying that anyone gifted with a 'paranormal' ability is schizophrenic, merely that humankind may have 'got lucky' by the addition of a sensory abnormality.

#7 Mr Eamcat

Mr Eamcat

Junior Villager

• PipPip
  • 54 posts

Posted 15 June 2006 - 04:14 AM

Here's an interesting piece on SZ & evolution:

'We became human because of small genetic changes in the chemistry of the fat in our skulls,' he says. 'These changes injected into our ancestors both the seeds of the illness of schizophrenia and the extraordinary minds which made us human.'

According to Horrobin, schizophrenia and human genius began to manifest themselves as a result of evolutionary pressures that triggered genetic changes in our brain cells, allowing us to make unexpected links with different events, an ability that lifted our species to a new intellectual plane. Early manifestations of this creative change include the 30,000-year-old cave paintings found in France and Spain.

Our 'schizophrenia inheritance' was 'the single most important event in human history' and marked the break 'between our large-brained, possibly pleasant but unimaginative ancestors, and the restless, creative creatures we are today,' he adds.

http://www.guardian....4154224,00.html

#8 NightFrightz

NightFrightz

Junior Villager

• PipPip
  • 46 posts
  • Interests:I am active in the matters of spirits and such when they remind me <br /><br />And interesting tid bit. When I was 17 my Dr. told me I would be a good para psychologist. <br /><br />I've been at GV for a while, but not active. I've been a lurker for years. I'm hoping to change that now.

Posted 17 July 2006 - 03:22 AM

I have not much to add to this conversation, for I am but a lowly psychology under grad. But I am a fan of Emily so I think I will give in an put my 2 pennies in.

I too use to think that I was schizophrenic or developing it...or perhaps just expereincing breif sub threshold episode of schizophrenia. However I also learned that that is not how it works, and that I am not.

I opt for the evolutionary jump from ape to man be attributed to the thumb and the know how to use it myself. And yes, I know that the major theory is man simply arose from a common ancestor as the ape...that we didn't actually come from them:)

Anyhow my view is that....the we shall some day be able to explain most things even the paranormal! This will be due to advancing technolog, understanding and awareness. In other words science will not attempt to disprove the paranormal but find a way to understand more clearly so that it is not so...paranormal.

Just a tid bit.

#9 evad_83647

evad_83647

Village Elder

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 811 posts
  • Interests:Military, parnormal, UFO's. I am an author, photographer and mechanic.

Posted 24 July 2006 - 02:11 AM

I think we are all a bit bi-polar. Probably as a result from having two hemispheres in our brains.

My research indicates we are survivalists. This is my opininion and to my knowledge I am the only one with this opinion. We know we have to eat tommorow, we found ways to make it easier for us to eat. ie Refridgerators. We have certain needs and are reduced to our lowest level of needs before we can move on up the ladder. (See Maslow heirarchy of needs). If we are starving to death we will not think of much else. If we are freezing to death we will not be complemtating where we came from.

I think our abstact thinking came from realizing we would have to eat again tommorow. We are not the only creatures on the planet who plan for their future. We have a lot in common with the squirrel in this aspect.

I disagree with the scitzo idea but I agree that we wouldn't exist on the level we do now if we didn't realize that we would be hungry again tommorow.
Once I get there, there is somewhere else.Is it the beginning of the end or the end of the beginning?

#10 Oniix

Oniix

Village Elder

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,026 posts

Posted 17 August 2006 - 01:03 PM

Perhaps then, we need to start testing the brain chemical make up of people that claim to have see ghosts, and those that don't believe in a single dose of ghostdom and spooks.

Or was there such a study already? help me out Peter!

#11 Bobnoxious

Bobnoxious

Village Elder

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 645 posts
  • Interests:Music (heavy metal, punk rock, rockabilly, progressive rock, old country, garage rock, and other non mainstream sounds), movies (horror, sci-fi, exploitation, independent, foreign, and old classics mainly), writing (mostly for my zine/website Utter Trash - http://www.uttertrash.net), and singing for my band Horror of 59 (http://www.horrorof59.com).

Posted 18 August 2006 - 02:41 AM

Perhaps then, we need to start testing the brain chemical make up of people that claim to have see ghosts, and those that don't believe in a single dose of ghostdom and spooks.

Or was there such a study already? help me out Peter!

Yes, I know I'm not Peter (Or am I? Maybe I'm schizophrenic?). Anyway, the one thing I'm aware of that kind of ties in to this is there were some studies about a certain part of the brain that is utilized during religious experiences. Beyond that, I don't know much. I'd like to see this studied more, though. I'm curious if a person has to actually focus on the spiritual in order to activate this part of the brain, or if it can just start working on its own. Does this area also become active during other paranormal experiences? There seem to be all kinds of potentially interesting avenues for research here. Maybe some have been explored, but I haven't really heard any more about this.

As an aside for those who say they don't need science and scientists, I implore you: toss your computer in the trash, stop using cars, avoid modern medicine like the plague, etc. If science is worthless, then why aren't you living in a cave? The scientific method may not always work the way some people would like it to, but in general it gets better and more consistently useful results than anything else our race has come up with.
"Future events such as these will affect you in the future." - Criswell, 'Plan 9 From Outer Space'

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users