satanist?

• Please log in to reply
85 replies to this topic

#31 Mr Eamcat

Mr Eamcat

Junior Villager

• PipPip
  • 54 posts
  • Interests:Theology, Philosophy, Jungian Psychology, Forteana, My Partner &amp; Kids, My Blog, Chocolate, Movies, Reading, Nature, Walking,<br />Meditation &amp; Hatha Yoga.

Posted 26 June 2006 - 06:27 AM

That's interesting - I've heard that it's not such a religious following, more of a social/political stance, a counter culture of sorts.

One question though, why call it Satanism if Satan isn't worshipped per se?

#32 randystreu

randystreu

Village Elder

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 846 posts
  • Interests:video, paintball, theology, philosophy, political science, sci-fi, and so on, and so forth...

Posted 26 June 2006 - 06:59 AM

It's called Satanism, because its main focus was to directly challege Christianity. In so doing, it challenges every faith, but it's main target was as I said. Calling it Satanism (which again, I believe, was started by LaVey), was a way of announcing its intentions.

(I say 'was' because this focus may have shifted... i'm not as familiar with modern satanism.)

#33 jakob493

jakob493

Very greedy and not happy with just one tag

• PipPipPipPip
  • 427 posts

Posted 26 June 2006 - 07:55 AM

It's called Satanism, because its main focus was to directly challege Christianity. In so doing, it challenges every faith, but it's main target was as I said. Calling it Satanism (which again, I believe, was started by LaVey), was a way of announcing its intentions.

(I say 'was' because this focus may have shifted... i'm not as familiar with modern satanism.)

Thats sounds right, I've heard that as well. I've also heard that the term 'Satanism' was also used to bring fear and draw attention towards themselves. Its possible that using this term, LaVey was able to draw in a crowd that took the word "Satanism" too seriously, and turn them towards his belief in their state of confusion and vulnerability.

#34 Axman

Axman

Chainsaws are better......

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,629 posts
  • Interests:Ghost hunting of course! Motorcycles is a big interest of mine. I also am a guitar player (hence my username) but I haven't practiced much over the last year or two. I also enjoy spending time with my wife and family when possible.

Posted 26 June 2006 - 11:43 AM

I have always felt that satanism refers to anything or anyone against God. An anti-Christ so-to-speak! I believe that biblically, Satan is Lucifer, the fallen one. The same Lucifer that tempted Christ, and possibly Adam and Eve.

On a whole I just think that Satan is referred to as anything that is anti-God or just plain EVIL! The Roman empire has been symbolically recogized as "The Beast" and even "The Anti-Christ". So maybe the Roman empire could be satanic also.

Just my opinion!

Edited by Axman, 26 June 2006 - 11:44 AM.

Ah. Well... I attended Juilliard... I'm a graduate of the Harvard business school. I travel quite extensively. I lived through the Black Plague and had a pretty good time during that. I've seen the EXORCIST ABOUT A HUNDRED AND SIXTY-SEVEN TIMES, AND IT KEEPS GETTING FUNNIER EVERY SINGLE TIME I SEE IT... NOT TO MENTION THE FACT THAT YOU'RE TALKING TO A DEAD GUY... NOW WHAT DO YOU THINK? You think I'm qualified? --BeetlejuiceI'm the ghost with the most, babe.--BeetlejuiceWe've come for your daughter Chuck--Beetlejuice

#35 Vampchick21

Vampchick21

Looks Irish, loves Italian food, lives in Canada....must be lost

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,995 posts
  • Interests:knitting, crocheting, writing, cats, paranormal phenomena, cryptzoology, Monty Python

Posted 26 June 2006 - 08:40 PM

The original Hebrew understanding of the word satan, as used in the Old Testament and in various Judaic religious works, is 'adversary'.

So if you stop and think on it, LaVey's Church is pretty much that.

Krafted with luv

by monsters

#36 randystreu

randystreu

Village Elder

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 846 posts
  • Interests:video, paintball, theology, philosophy, political science, sci-fi, and so on, and so forth...

Posted 27 June 2006 - 06:57 AM

pretty much, vamp. Good call on the Hebrew.
And as i said, i think that was the intention.

#37 Vampchick21

Vampchick21

Looks Irish, loves Italian food, lives in Canada....must be lost

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,995 posts
  • Interests:knitting, crocheting, writing, cats, paranormal phenomena, cryptzoology, Monty Python

Posted 27 June 2006 - 08:54 AM

It's also really the perfect name for the Christian devil. If God is all that is good, something has to be the opposite of that, the adverse of that.... :hug: I'm stressed at 10 am and musing on the obvious.

Krafted with luv

by monsters

#38 Mr Eamcat

Mr Eamcat

Junior Villager

• PipPip
  • 54 posts
  • Interests:Theology, Philosophy, Jungian Psychology, Forteana, My Partner &amp; Kids, My Blog, Chocolate, Movies, Reading, Nature, Walking,<br />Meditation &amp; Hatha Yoga.

Posted 27 June 2006 - 09:09 AM

Has anyone else noticed how 'good' is God with an extra 'o'

&

'Evil' is Devil with an extra 'd'?

What are the chances of that then?

#39 Axman

Axman

Chainsaws are better......

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,629 posts
  • Interests:Ghost hunting of course! Motorcycles is a big interest of mine. I also am a guitar player (hence my username) but I haven't practiced much over the last year or two. I also enjoy spending time with my wife and family when possible.

Posted 27 June 2006 - 11:14 AM

And Santa (the Spanish word for a female saint) is an anagram of SATAN!
Ah. Well... I attended Juilliard... I'm a graduate of the Harvard business school. I travel quite extensively. I lived through the Black Plague and had a pretty good time during that. I've seen the EXORCIST ABOUT A HUNDRED AND SIXTY-SEVEN TIMES, AND IT KEEPS GETTING FUNNIER EVERY SINGLE TIME I SEE IT... NOT TO MENTION THE FACT THAT YOU'RE TALKING TO A DEAD GUY... NOW WHAT DO YOU THINK? You think I'm qualified? --BeetlejuiceI'm the ghost with the most, babe.--BeetlejuiceWe've come for your daughter Chuck--Beetlejuice

#40 aloha_spirit

aloha_spirit

I'm 100% Poi Dog!

• Town Council
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,534 posts
  • Interests:Computer Programming, Books, Movies, Nature, Religion.

Posted 27 June 2006 - 12:31 PM

And Santa (the Spanish word for a female saint) is an anagram of SATAN!

That would only concern me if Santa was an anagram of Satanas (Satan in Spanish). Either that, or forget the Spanish meaning of the word 'Santa' and just take it as the American name for Father Christmas.

I didn't lose my mind - I have it backed up on a disk ... somewhere

#41 evad_83647

evad_83647

Village Elder

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 811 posts
  • Interests:Military, parnormal, UFO's. I am an author, photographer and mechanic.

Posted 27 June 2006 - 02:39 PM

I've been hesitating about jumping in here.
You guys have all made valid points.

My understanding of the word "Hell" means abscence of god. or absence of light. Since light and dark are opposites and god rules the light we needed someone to rule the dark.

It is pretty amazing to me that when you research the bibles history you will find most of the stories in it from even earlier stories.

Man has been asking questions for a long time. I see how each suceeding generation as our technology and understanding improves so do the answers to those unfathomal questions.
Until Dante described it we didn't know much about hell. Now we are finding he got most of his information from earlier stories too.

The color of the Devil has changed over the years too. He's been black, blue, red... He has been the form of a human and the form of a beast.

In the future I predict our description of god and satan will change too.
Once I get there, there is somewhere else.Is it the beginning of the end or the end of the beginning?

#42 randystreu

randystreu

Village Elder

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 846 posts

Posted 27 June 2006 - 06:19 PM

Darkness is not the opposite of light, but the absence of it.
:whoohoo:

#43 evad_83647

evad_83647

Village Elder

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 811 posts
  • Interests:Military, parnormal, UFO's. I am an author, photographer and mechanic.

Posted 28 June 2006 - 01:49 PM

Then what is the opposite of light or dark Randy? lol
Once I get there, there is somewhere else.Is it the beginning of the end or the end of the beginning?

#44 aloha_spirit

aloha_spirit

I'm 100% Poi Dog!

• Town Council
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,534 posts
  • Interests:Computer Programming, Books, Movies, Nature, Religion.

Posted 29 June 2006 - 01:37 AM

* Just a friendly nudge not to stray to far away from the topic *

I truly wish there were another Satanist Villager who could take over and direct this thread.

I didn't lose my mind - I have it backed up on a disk ... somewhere

#45 nohara_megami

nohara_megami

Villager

• PipPipPip
  • 255 posts
  • Interests:darn, so many:<br>reading books by:<br> 1. Marrion Zimmer Badley<br> 2. Terry Brooks<br> 3. Amy Tan<br> 4. Susan Cooper<br> 5. Anne Rice<br> 6. and an infinate amount of others, i read everything and anything<br><br>anime:<br> 1. Escaflowne<br> 2. Fushigi Yugi<br> 3. Miyaziaki movies<br> 4. and once again, anything and everything<br><br>crafts:<br> 1. needlepoint<br> 2. scrapbooking<br> 3. and whatever else i do not blow up in the process^_^<br><br>also:<br>videogames, playing on the comp, researching the paranormal, listening and playing music, and anything else that comes to mind:)

Posted 29 June 2006 - 02:55 PM

I have kinda wanted to jump into this topic for a while, and I am not going to go into anything I was thinking of saying, but I will add I heard from a close friend (who is a reliable source) said that in my town there is a Satanist Church opening up, and that it would be the first in the NorCal area. I thought this was interesting, because I was under impression that Satanists did not attend church.

You learn something every day lol
Hellsing: In the name of God, impure souls of the living dead shall be banished into eternal damnation. Amen.I don't suffer from insanity, I enjoy every minute of it!Rome did not create an empire by having meetings. They did it by killing those who opposed them.Witches... Not just for burning.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users