• Please log in to reply
17 replies to this topic

#1 ms_Falke

ms_Falke

Junior Villager

• PipPip
  • 58 posts

Posted 12 July 2004 - 04:13 AM

Im wondering if its usual for pets to linger a while after they have passed away?

A year ago we had to put our family dog to sleep as he was really weak and had recurrent seizures. The vet came to the house and our dog went quiet and peacefully. I know he was ready to die, but ha stayed around for several months. I felt as if was to check on us.
My mom would wake up every night from his barking. He had this thing that he got downstairs every night and barked once at the front door, then he went back to sleep again. His bark was very loud and piercing, it would make the glasses in the cupboards ring. That sound is what woke up my mom. As she has trouble sleeping, she would sometimes hear the bark while still awake. My dad sleeps like a rock and wouldnt hear a thing :P

The dog would even come to visit me in my new apartment. Once he had a message to me. I was lieing in bed and dozeing between sleep and awake in the morning, as I had no work to go to or anything else to do. Then I saw him coming in through the bedroom door and walking up to me with a "smile". Yes my dog could smile  :D I felt very comforted and he spoke to me in my head "everyting is going to be all right"

We had a very close connection when he was alive. We communicated with sounds and gestures as well as mental pictures. He was like a person to me. I still miss him immensely.

#2 MoonChild

MoonChild

Undead giant that feasts on hotdogs!

• Town Council
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 50,399 posts
  • Interests:Life

Posted 12 July 2004 - 06:52 AM

cute doggy! Well, it may happen, I have heard of ghost cats straying around!
Posted Image

#3 rattie_lover

rattie_lover

Village Elder

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 704 posts

Posted 12 July 2004 - 09:15 AM

ghost rats? i think all my rats have passed over but i have seen ghost rats. my lil squeakers to be exact. do you like rats ms_falke? lol ;D
<: 3 )~.<-----rat, can u tell.love, nicolemy own website: http://nicolekruetzfeldt.tripod.com/

#4 ms_Falke

ms_Falke

Junior Villager

• PipPip
  • 58 posts

Posted 12 July 2004 - 10:35 AM

absolutely  :D I love all animals, they are better friends than people most of the time. Never had any rats though, only some hamsters  ;D

#5 bardo

bardo

Would like to sit on the clouds and watch the world

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,061 posts
  • Interests:the world here and beyond...lol anything ghosty I don't watch very much tv but when i do it's shows like supernatural.<br />I love music ....going to concerts.....groups like the dropkickmurphys,floggingmollies,pogues, some old stuff like the clash and joe strummer. I just saw Bob Dylan and The Who .<br />I like just about anything but country I do love Johnny cash though!<br />I love walking my dogs and getting outside as much as possible .<br />I plan on living until I'm at least 150 .

Posted 12 July 2004 - 11:51 AM

My dogs smile all the time each one has a different smile. I had to put one of my dogs down last september and he came to visit his friend Emma one of our other dogs.It was a hot day in september the morning he died and I looked out in the backyard and saw Emma looking up at the sky,she then asked to come in and when she did she was shivering as if she was cold.I am convinced Chucky came to say goodbye to Emma.
She took along time to get over him and I am convinced she blamed his death on me.We have finnally gotten back our good relationship but it took a long time.
Posted Image Dreams are today's answers to tomorrow's questions. Edgar Cayce

#6 Sakura1605

Sakura1605

Junior Villager

• PipPip
  • 90 posts
  • Interests:Ummmmmm....reading I read alot,I spend time with my friends alot,I get on the computer alot,I watch tv but not as much,I watch movies.Lots and lots of movies,I spend alot of time chatting on msn.I love msn,thats it for now cuzi cant think of anything else....

Posted 12 July 2004 - 03:20 PM

Most of our pets cross over..it might just be letting you know that it is there for you and all right...Like sometimes people we dearly love die they just come around to comfort you and to let you know they are ok.
Animals understand alot.Anyways that doggy is soooooooooooooooooooo cute.Awwwwwwwwwwww.
Just look at him!!!

#7 Holly

Holly

Village Elder

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,441 posts

Posted 12 July 2004 - 03:31 PM

ms_falke,

I don't doubt for a minute that your dog stayed around for a while. The ties we have with our animals is amazing..sometimes stronger than what we experience with people.

Your little guy is adorable. He knows how much you love him and reciprocates the feeling. I'm glad you got to spend a little more time with him.
Posted Image Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image I've been hit by mrsspookypants

#8 ms_Falke

ms_Falke

Junior Villager

• PipPip
  • 58 posts

Posted 13 July 2004 - 03:17 AM

thanks for your replies all :D

My dogs visits made the loss easier to bear, and I think that is why he did it.

The picture is from his last christmas. He looks a little sad, but its dissapointment over the boring dogfood he had to eat. He had a little weight problem because of a prostate operation some years earlier, and no one likes to diet :P

#9 Mykiedave

Mykiedave

Village Elder

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,977 posts

Posted 13 July 2004 - 12:30 PM

One of the more famous cases is greyfriars Bobby, who algedly STILL haunts the site where his master is buried.

www.greyfriarsbobby.co.uk/story/story.html
Growing old is mandatory... growing UP is optional.I didn't say it was YOUR fault, I SAID I was going to BLAME you.The nice thing about being Senile is, I can hide my own Easter Eggs.Posted Image

#10 ms_Falke

ms_Falke

Junior Villager

• PipPip
  • 58 posts

Posted 13 July 2004 - 03:21 PM

Yes, I think Ive heard about that one Mykiedave. Poor dog...

#11 Mykiedave

Mykiedave

Village Elder

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,977 posts

Posted 14 July 2004 - 09:58 AM

I think because of their unwavering loyalty pets (primarily dogs... sorry cat folk) would have the ability to stay around longer. Lest we forget also, cats were venerated in Ancient Egypt as carriers of the dead.
Growing old is mandatory... growing UP is optional.I didn't say it was YOUR fault, I SAID I was going to BLAME you.The nice thing about being Senile is, I can hide my own Easter Eggs.Posted Image

#12 Noelle1966

Noelle1966

Uses WD-40 for evil purposes

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,366 posts
  • Interests:Animals, ice skating, pets, animal issues, historical societies, travelling, and of course - ghost hunting.

Posted 14 July 2004 - 11:47 AM

I honestly believe that pets do cross over.  I believe that there is a special place in Heaven for them.  Deceased owners have been known to be seen with their pets that have also been deceased.  I think that there are so many documented cases of animals spirits being seen that it has to be true.
The reason that a dog has so many friends is because he wags his tail and not his tongue.Do unto others, then run.Life's messy. Clean it up.

#13 Noelle1966

Noelle1966

Uses WD-40 for evil purposes

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,366 posts
  • Interests:Animals, ice skating, pets, animal issues, historical societies, travelling, and of course - ghost hunting.

Posted 14 July 2004 - 11:55 AM

Oh, Rattie - I like rats.  I think that they are more intelligent than people give them credit for.
The reason that a dog has so many friends is because he wags his tail and not his tongue.Do unto others, then run.Life's messy. Clean it up.

#14 bardo

bardo

Would like to sit on the clouds and watch the world

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,061 posts
  • Interests:the world here and beyond...lol anything ghosty I don't watch very much tv but when i do it's shows like supernatural.<br />I love music ....going to concerts.....groups like the dropkickmurphys,floggingmollies,pogues, some old stuff like the clash and joe strummer. I just saw Bob Dylan and The Who .<br />I like just about anything but country I do love Johnny cash though!<br />I love walking my dogs and getting outside as much as possible .<br />I plan on living until I'm at least 150 .

Posted 15 July 2004 - 03:03 PM

Thanks for the link Mykie I remember that story.When my mom died she had a dog and she lived alone with her buddy.I almost felt like it would have been good for her to see moms body so she could say goodbye. The funeral director told me that they had done that before and one lady insisted her dog go with her and be buried with her. I didn,t take my moms dog to see her because my sister thought it was a crazy idea and I didn't want to rock the boat.
I kept the dog and she died a year later.
Posted Image Dreams are today's answers to tomorrow's questions. Edgar Cayce

#15 Mykiedave

Mykiedave

Village Elder

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,977 posts

Posted 15 July 2004 - 05:48 PM

My dads dog dies shortly after he did as well. She never did get over his death. I know that sounds a little loopy, but she did a complete change after he passed. No more happy, silly puppy. She was very sulky afterwards. Believe me, pets know.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users