• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 Furrycheeky

Furrycheeky

Junior Villager

• PipPip
  • 27 posts

Posted 23 June 2006 - 07:17 PM

I have not been on here long as a member, but have being a guest for a year now. My current house move has put me near a local supposed haunted location. So I thought it time to register and hopefully share some experiences when I get a chance to investigate.

On top of a local hill, called Box hill, is a grave of a local Soldier from 1800. He is reported to have been buried upside down on the hill at his own request. He has been sighted in full military dress from the time of his active duty, walking around on top of the hill.

Also on the top of the hill a phantom rider shoots down the hill. This was seen by Robert Louis Stevenson and incorporated into one of his poems.

Lastly at the foot of the hill is a river, people have reported seeing Roman soldiers making a river crossing near a current stepping stone arrangement crossing. The actual stepping stone currently in use are also said to have a ghostly pair of pilgrims who cross.

I am hoping to get a chance to visit each place and get a feel for the areas, before arranging a more in depth visit with kit.

#2 snakebiteoftexas

snakebiteoftexas

Senior Villager

• PipPipPipPip
  • 444 posts
  • Interests:searching for haunted places as i drive cross country in my 18 wheeler with my lovely wife and meeting people to go ghost hunting with and playing fantasy sports

Posted 11 July 2006 - 01:09 AM

plese let me know what you find out
Posted ImageWWW.SOUTHERNSPIRITSEEKERSOCIETY.COM

#3 Faeden

Faeden

Junior Villager

• PipPip
  • 80 posts

Posted 28 July 2006 - 06:46 PM

I used to go to Box Hill as a Kid for days out with my family and Red Hill, I have great memories of them kind of places, and remember they where always a little spooky.

I am going to revisit them one day.

It is beautiful

Posted Image

Edited by Faeden, 28 July 2006 - 06:50 PM.

Posted Image Posted Image

#4 Furrycheeky

Furrycheeky

Junior Villager

• PipPip
  • 27 posts

Posted 04 August 2006 - 05:43 PM

Having got the move sorted, I have had a chance to scout around.
The grave of the upsidedown man is easy to find being near the main pathway, its in a tree covered position not far from the carpark.
The Horse riders known location is a little further down the path, and is a nice open field of grass decending the hill. Again easy walking distance from the carpark.
The river crossing is a longer walk down a twisting pathway, itswould be quite a trek at night especially with cameras etc. The stepping stones were obvious as they are still currently in use for getting to the main road. The exact location from the current crossing to the site allegedly to have visitations by Roman soldiers is not obvious from the reports and comments I have read, so further research will have to be done.

Not mentioned in any books as a haunted location, is an abandoned Fort built in the late 1800s, and which never saw any active duty. It is currently abandoned and locked with aged gates allowing a small view inside. This location was the one that gave the chills, despite it being 25 degrees at the time.

Am going to arrange a day visit with camera soon hopefully, and hope to get a night visit in before we loose summer. As said above the first 2 places will be easy to navigate to at night, with the river crossing more of a challenge.

#5 davidb_72

davidb_72

• Pip
  • 8 posts
  • Interests:computers reading clubs bars cinema swimming football supernatural

Posted 17 August 2006 - 11:46 AM

Hello :-))

Lived in boxhill for 2 years recently only moved back to sutton early last year all those places i know well especially the stepping stones but got to be honest i never encounted any supernatural experiences living there i was opposite the smith and western resturant, barn close so right on the national trust area did here spooky noises at night but i put it down to the animals in the woods but speaking to the locals no one once said to me about ghostly goings on but be intresting to spend a night at these locations to see if there is any chance of seeing something

Edited by davidb_72, 17 August 2006 - 11:50 AM.

#6 davidb_72

davidb_72

• Pip
  • 8 posts

Posted 23 August 2006 - 10:39 AM

Ok up boxhill next friday night on sept 1st be me and another ghostvillage member just_jules74 were going to take a couple of digital cameras to try and caputure any other spooky goings on if anyone would like to join us in this little mini adventure on this night and depending if weather is good hope you can join us we are hoping to check out the areas of alledged spooky sightings :-))

#7 Steve

Steve

Junior Villager

• PipPip
  • 24 posts

Posted 31 August 2006 - 04:45 PM

As well as box hill you may want to take a look at the silent pool as it is reported to have the ghost of a young girl the drowned trying to get away from a man intent on having his evil way with her. There is also the pilgrims way which can be very strange at night.
I cant help being me its who I am and who I always will be

#8 davidb_72

davidb_72

• Pip
  • 8 posts

Posted 01 September 2006 - 08:26 AM

Thanks steve :-))

Be up at Boxhill tonight from 12.00am to 03.00am taking digital camera and video so should be good hoping weather is ok forecast rain but if it is raining wont do it be better dry weather :-))

Any findings ill report it on this thread any pics will post on here and any stories will be psoted to :-))

Thanks for the info will be very usefull

Cheers

#9 Furrycheeky

Furrycheeky

Junior Villager

• PipPip
  • 27 posts

Posted 01 September 2006 - 07:03 PM

I hope you had a good visit, I have only just got back from a 2 week holiday break so missed the opportunity to meet up for the trip :Spaz: . (yes its probably slightly sad that the first thing I do when getting in from a holiday is immediately turn the computer on, and start catching up even this late.)

Literally reading about your visit as its happening (just before 1am now). Did think about popping up the hill now as you should be there, but didn't think you would appreciate a random stranger approaching at such a late hour in a deserted woodland, if I managed to find you.

Looking forward to any captures you might get.

Edited by Furrycheeky, 01 September 2006 - 07:04 PM.

#10 Night Star

Night Star

Senior Villager

• PipPipPipPip
  • 431 posts
  • Interests:Paranormal, animals, reading, music, dragons, fairies, elves, being creative...

Posted 02 September 2006 - 10:37 AM

:ghost: Can't wait to see if you come across anything!
Posted Image

#11 gregg uk

gregg uk

• Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 13 January 2010 - 12:12 PM

Hi
Iíve been visiting boxhill for some time now
and have Iíve actual seen the Soldier from 1800.walking around his grave stone.
A friend of mine witnessed some strange movements around the abandoned arms fort built in the late 1800s

As for the stepping stones Iíve not seen or sensed anything there.

I must admit boxhill does for want of another word have an ďunusualĒ feel about it.

Happy huntingís
GG

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users