Columbia, California

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 jenbrown

jenbrown

Village Elder

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,464 posts
  • Interests:Haunted anything, movies and Disney!

Posted 26 June 2006 - 09:27 PM

I just came back from camping in Columbia, CA. It's a preserved gold mining town just north of Sonora. It's absolutely adorable and supposedly quite haunted.

The heart of Columbia is a state park but it's not neccessarily a ghost town (figuratively). There are two working hotels (straight out of the 1800's), lots of little shops and saloons and a blacksmiths shop. All the docents and store employees wear period clothing.

I don't know all the ghost stories but I do know that both the City Hotel and the Fallon House Hotel are haunted. The Fallon House supposedly has a ghost that haunts on of the rooms as well as the theater. She is believed to be a woman who died during one of the fires that destroyed the town in the 1800's.

The schoolhouse is also supposedly haunted. I also read a story about a couple who was walking down the main street after the town had shut down for the night who witnessed this strange pale man just standing and staring motionless outside one of the buildings. They thought he might be one of the costumed docents or a crazy person trying to scare them. When they decided to approach him, he turned and floated into the locked building. Creepy! :wow:

I went inside the City Hotel and inquired about rooms and rates. The woman at the front desk said I was welcomed to go upstairs and take a look around. They have a darling main lobby room and each room that is not being occupied at the time is open for a look. The rooms are done in the Victorian period with antiques.
While, I didn't see anything out of the ordinary I did feel like I was being watched. I asked about the ghosts and the woman (although has not witnessed any herself) said there are a lot of ghost stories attached to the places.

There is a ghost walk that happens about once a month. Someday soon I would love to go back for the ghost walk and stay at one of the hotels. If you like California Gold Rush history, go visit Columbia. You will love it.

Go to www.columbiacalifornia.com for more info!
"Serpents and spiders, tail of a rat. Call in the spirits, wherever they’re at!Rap on a table, it’s time to respond. Send us a message from somewhere beyond!Goblins and ghoulies from last Halloween, awaken the spirits with your tambourine! Creepies and crawlies... toads in a pond! Let there be music from regions beyond.Wizards and witches, wherever you dwell – give us a hint by ringing a bell!" Madame Leota

#2 Pinkharlequin

Pinkharlequin

Junior Villager

• PipPip
  • 18 posts

Posted 13 August 2006 - 04:56 PM

That sounds like a load of fun. I would love to do that sometime. TFS!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users