• Please log in to reply
27 replies to this topic

#1 Jess__reborn

Jess__reborn

Junior Villager

• PipPip
  • 38 posts

Posted 29 June 2003 - 09:40 AM

I just thought I would share alittle bit of interesting history on the area I live around.  When I was at work one day some kids were talking about an old building that stood on a lake.  (Supposidly haunted).  But from there understandings, it was an old mental clinic.  I did some more digging at work and discovered it was an old TB Sanitarium.  The more I heard about it the more I was interested in visiting it for myself.  So one night me and about 5 other guys went there.  At first I noticed nothing out of the ordinary, but the further I got away from the rest of the group, the more I got scared.  It wasn't that it's creepy by any means, it's just the feelings I was recieving from that particular floor.  While the rest of the boys were in the basement, I had somehow managed to make my up to the very top floor.  I don't really remember going up there, until the boys started calling for me.  The higher up you go, the stronger and colder the wind gets.  There can be no wind walking up to the place and I soon as you enter the building, the wind can get so strong it is sometimes very hard to walk.  On the third floor I found in one room especially, that it was very hard for me to breathe.  But I would only feel stuff when I was alone.  So I am still trying to figure this out.  The TB hospital had closed down sometime after WWII and then became a nursing home.  
I have found more history on the place but it was hard to do.  All the books and papers I had looked in, the articles about the TB place had been torn out.  :-[
I would just like some thoughts as to what you all think.

#2 CajunKnight

CajunKnight

Village Elder

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,504 posts

Posted 29 June 2003 - 10:39 AM

First of all you never venture out alone to hunt, always have a partner with you. Now that being said, lets continue. I have noticed that if I am hunting with a group that I am not as sensitive as I am while I am alone. I am not sure if its the negative energy or the fact that having others around will cloud your judgement. When I go into a cemetery I will usually just kind of go with the flow of things and everyone just kind of works together. If you notice when you see pictures of me in a cemetery you may get lucky and see one other person in the pic close to me. I usually stay alone in my own area. If I have someone there that seems to be a bit too negative they will be given a task that will keep them as far as possible away from me and they usually dont get invited again (when that is possible). I have one in particular who is the husband of one of my group, who emits a tremendous amount of negative energy and any time he is near you will lose all senses. But this is her hubby and if I want her along I am stuck with him from time to time LOL. On the other hand when he is there I have gotten some really strange pics of him and his surroundings. The spirits at times seem to tease him. He would help bring a few items in the area and at certain times the things that he and I both knew he had would be found back in the truck (these are items such as batteries or film that I put in the bag myself).
BTW jess if you can could you post some info on this place you mentioned so I could attempt to look it up online.

Travis
Welcome to ghostvillage, home of 24,000+ smiling faces and a few old grouches."Some things have to be believed to be seen"Ralph Hodgson

#3 krcguns

krcguns

Village Elder

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,206 posts
  • Interests:Well....investigating ghosts and finding out what lies beyond this life of course!

Posted 29 June 2003 - 11:22 AM

Travis...Don't worry about Jess...she will be going there with a group for sure.  As soon as we get permission to do the hunt and whispers gets his butt up here we will be going and have all kinds of good stuff for you guys to peek at!
Posted ImagePosted ImagePosted ImagePosted Image

#4 Jess__reborn

Jess__reborn

Junior Villager

• PipPip
  • 38 posts

Posted 29 June 2003 - 04:13 PM

I was with a group when I started.  But I really don't remember how we got seperated.  And from what they tell me, they just turned around and I was gone.  I never went there to investigate.  Just to check it out and find out for sure what it looked like basically.
What I got:  
It was a TB Sanitarium that is located right on the edge of Lake Julia in Bemidji Minnesota.  When it was first built, it was built in the town of Buena Vista (which has long since burned and been deserted for the most part).  Many of the workers lived in or near Puposky, though they lived all around. 2 nurses where named Krugmeir and the lived on the west side of the lake.  They rowed over in the summer and in the winter came over on the ice.  All that is left of the main building is a ruin laced with asbestos.  I believe it is on the property of Mrs. Jane Shuhart, though she may have married in the last year or so.  The stroy we hear is that the asbestos in the building makes it dangerous to live in but also very expensive to tear down.The San (as it is called locally) was the joint project of Beltrami, Koochiching, and Hubbard counties.  It opened in 1916.  There is an article in the first issue of North Country (1973) by Nels Saltness, "First Patient at the Lake Julia Sanitarium."  Dr. Laney was the first doctor.  Dr. Mary Ghostley was the second and last doctor.  Her son Jim Ghostley is a dentist and lives in Bemidji. The doctors'  residence was on the San groudns, and I believe Mrs. Shuhart lives in it.  We don't know her, and it has been awhile since we were actually on the grounds. The doctors at the time, as you know, did not know how to cure TB.  The theory was theat exposure to fresh air could improve patients, and that's what the patients at the San got.  Fresh air during the winter in northern Minnesota is strong treatment, but that is what they got.  Sometime after WWII, the San closed and was converted into a nursing home.  I don't know when that closed, though the Nebish Book of History and Memories has a photo from 1968 and some of the Grey Ladies, a volunteer organization supporting the Lake Julia Nursing Home.  Later these women affiliated with the Red Cross. (Nebish is about seven miles north. If you are up there now, check the Wildflower Mile just at the turn into Nebish.  The Ladyslippers are all in the there, and they should be still in bloom.)
This is the information I got from Bill and Madeline Sutherland (woss@mail.utexas.edu) when I wrote them asking for help reguarding any information they could give me. That is a direct quote of everything he wrote me in the letter.

#5 whispers_of_fire

whispers_of_fire

Village Elder

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,060 posts

Posted 29 June 2003 - 07:42 PM

AH-HA, KRC...I thought I heard you bandying my name about ;D Rest assured my friend, Whispers will be there if I have to have you carry me from Southern Cal. But with the amount of stuff there is to check out there, I'm not sure if I should get a Delta Card or just move out there for the 4 months of non-snow there is to do outdoor investigations 8)

I have to admit, the TB center intrigues me as far as an investigation goes, but far more intriguing is what Jess was going through in that room*Jess, I'd like to pm you if I may* ;)

Cajun, I sympathize with your dilemma, but I think you have the right idea, keep Senor Negativo occupied far away from any Sensitives or productive members. If I may ask, is it just a crappy attitude towards what you're doing or is it extra emotional baggage from work or life in general?
Remember...vote for New Orleans for our '05 Reunion...this is not a subliminal message...New Orleans! Obey Whispers of Fire! New Orleans

#6 Jess__reborn

Jess__reborn

Junior Villager

• PipPip
  • 38 posts

Posted 29 June 2003 - 08:02 PM

I am willing to help in any way....you should know that by know Whispers ;)  It is getting kind of frustrating though, cuz the more I try to find out.  It seems the walls just close faster for some reason.  The only information I have been able to find is from that guy I emailed.  So that is the only info I got.  But I do sense that there is something very strong there.  More specifically on the top floor.  I have yet been unable to get into the attic.  You enter that through a closet door. So if you want to go up into that part you would have to bring a ladder.  I am still trying to figure everything out.  If I find any more information on it, I will be sure to post it.  Oh maybe this is something, let me know what ya'll think.  The town of Buena Vista which is technically where the TB San is, burned down.  Not exactly the whole town.  But in doing some of the research I learned that it used to be a pretty populated area.  Same with Bemidji.  The both towns have had terrible accurances with fires. ???

#7 CajunKnight

CajunKnight

Village Elder

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,504 posts

Posted 29 June 2003 - 08:05 PM

Jess, Thanks for the info now I gotta hunt something to read on it if I can find it LOL.

krc, never worry I did not intend to say she would ever go alone, I made that statement to cover what I was going to say myself. ;D

whispers, it is emotional baggage of the worse kind, relationships can be a biotch if you don't nurture them properly.
Welcome to ghostvillage, home of 24,000+ smiling faces and a few old grouches."Some things have to be believed to be seen"Ralph Hodgson

#8 Jess__reborn

Jess__reborn

Junior Villager

• PipPip
  • 38 posts

Posted 29 June 2003 - 08:26 PM

Well Cajun if you find anything, you will have to let me know.  Good luck!  I have searched high and low and that was all I got.  But if you do find anything else out, be sure to let me know ( I need to find out more of what we will be getting into) ;)  But one thing I do know, an open mind will get me farther than anything right now.

Happy Hunting

#9 CajunKnight

CajunKnight

Village Elder

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,504 posts

Posted 29 June 2003 - 09:06 PM

Ok try a couple of these, this is what I have at the moment, but still looking.
Travis

http://wwwvms.utexas...96/BUENATN.html

http://info.bemidjis...womenhof02.html

http://wwwvms.utexas...IL/LEECHTR.HTML

#10 Jess__reborn

Jess__reborn

Junior Villager

• PipPip
  • 38 posts

Posted 29 June 2003 - 09:18 PM

WOW!!!  :oWell know, that gives me more info on the docs.  I had already been to the first site you had posted though.  Helpful, but I think in more of a different way.  ;)

#11 CajunKnight

CajunKnight

Village Elder

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,504 posts

Posted 29 June 2003 - 09:32 PM

Now you can take info from those sites and hunt a little more, I will probably attack it again tomorrow.
Travis ;)

#12 Jess__reborn

Jess__reborn

Junior Villager

• PipPip
  • 38 posts

Posted 29 June 2003 - 11:01 PM

Thanks, I will see what I can do.  I am also gonna try to go to the Historical Society, but not sure yet.

#13 whispers_of_fire

whispers_of_fire

Village Elder

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,060 posts

Posted 30 June 2003 - 07:35 AM

:oDANG, Cajun, would you object to being cloned ;D I totally agree as far as both parties having to nurture a relationship, but sometimes it takes awhile to learn that lesson, my friend, we can only hope he learns it sooner rather than later since a friend's involved

Hi, Jess, thanks, Buddy, from my own experiences, those
are usually the most promising investgations that throw the most roadblocks. The most important thing is to get it sanctioned by the owners-not always an easy thing-once they know what you're after

Cheers,
Drew
Remember...vote for New Orleans for our '05 Reunion...this is not a subliminal message...New Orleans! Obey Whispers of Fire! New Orleans

#14 krcguns

krcguns

Village Elder

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,206 posts
  • Interests:Well....investigating ghosts and finding out what lies beyond this life of course!

Posted 30 June 2003 - 08:46 AM

This just keeps getting better all the time...doesn't it!?  Jess has the form in hand for the owner to sign giving us permission to enter.  It does take away any liability for the owner so...hopefully that will sway the decision! ;D
Posted ImagePosted ImagePosted ImagePosted Image

#15 Jess__reborn

Jess__reborn

Junior Villager

• PipPip
  • 38 posts

Posted 30 June 2003 - 08:59 AM

Yeah hopefully I can come up with alittle more.  I would like to know what I am getting my self into and others for that matter.  Ya'll just need to take a deep breath and count to 10.  It will still take some time and I am not sure the lady will be willing to help out.  That may present a road block, but I am pretty sure we can get around it one way or another (and yes I do mean legally).  Cajun, be sure to keep us posted as to what you find out.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users