• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 jcmirada

jcmirada

Junior Villager

• PipPip
  • 43 posts

Posted 30 June 2006 - 03:18 PM

In mexico years ago was this lady that drowned her kids in a river. there are different stories about this. the most popular is the one of a lady that was poor and had no husband or helped from anybody. she could not support her kids. by all of this she started to loose it. she took her children to a river and drown them. time past and she died. when she was going to heaven, God told her that she was not going to be accept in heaven unless she found the remains of her children. since that day people hear her screaming "hay mis hijos"(ohhhh my children) near every lake or river in mexico. even in southern california. a lot of meople that don't know the story hear her. when they arre told the story...they freak out :wow:. people say that she often attemps to grab little boys that live near a lake(when they are alone by a lake or river....poor people take showers on the lake at night). she probably thinks are hers.. i had a friend that is white(am mexican)that went to mexico with me. we were drinking and talking at the near of a small river that pases through the back of my grandmothers house. he said he was going to take a piss, but he didn't wanted me to see. so he went to the other side. 5 minutes later, he came back telling me that he saw a lady in white craying for her children. he tought that she was probably crazy b/c she was bending over and crying at the same time.he says that she was moving but he could not see her face nor her feet. that was strange to him. he also said that her cries were like echoing. i just told him to go home and not to look back. he kept asking me why... after we got home i told him the story.....he got paled and wanted to live asap! he saw her and heard the cries without me telling him. i don't think he would make up a story that would fit the legend. me personaly, havent seen her but i have heard her cryes. but i don't know if its the real or just people faking the screams.

#2 petunia4998

petunia4998

Village Elder

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,533 posts

Posted 30 June 2006 - 03:45 PM

jc, this is not meant to disparage your story in any way, but La Llorona is a very popular story with hispanics.
I live in New Mexico and we hear the same thing; however it's a little harder for us because we have such little water. lol Wherever you find Hispanics, you will hear of La Llorona.

I would be very interested to know where the story originated. Do they have it in Argentina? Do they have it in Spain? Just curious.
petunia4998

#3 jcmirada

jcmirada

Junior Villager

• PipPip
  • 43 posts

Posted 30 June 2006 - 04:38 PM

jc, this is not meant to disparage your story in any way, but La Llorona is a very popular story with hispanics.
I live in New Mexico and we hear the same thing; however it's a little harder for us because we have such little water. lol Wherever you find Hispanics, you will hear of La Llorona.

I would be very interested to know where the story originated. Do they have it in Argentina? Do they have it in Spain? Just curious.

i don't know where it started, but yeah you are right. every hispanic knows that legend. but now answer me this. how can someone describe to me what he saw or heard? it was his first time he went all the way to acapulco. he did not know anything about this..... i saw a report about and image and sounds about this. some people was trying to see if they could get a picturre or a sound. i cant remember where i saw it , but i'll try to find it.

#4 petunia4998

petunia4998

Village Elder

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,533 posts

Posted 01 July 2006 - 06:23 PM

I honestly cannot say what that was that your friend saw. I'm sure it was interesting, though.
petunia4998

#5 Willow

Willow

A sweet kindhearted person, who would dish dirt on her?

• Town Council
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,572 posts

Posted 01 July 2006 - 09:18 PM

Interesting encounter your friend experienced jcmirada, i'm afraid I cant offer any help but have found some informative links on the varied stories of La Llorona :hug:

The Spirit of La Llorona
La Llorona Wikipedia

Keep us updated on your search to find images or recordings ;)
Either write things worth reading,
Or do things worth the writing.

Posted Image

#6 aloha_spirit

aloha_spirit

I'm 100% Poi Dog!

• Town Council
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,534 posts
  • Interests:Computer Programming, Books, Movies, Nature, Religion.

Posted 03 July 2006 - 09:43 AM

In Brazil, she's known as a chorona ("the cry baby" in Portuguese). IIRC, the chorona story takes place in a farming town in Minas Gerais.

Edited by aloha_spirit, 03 July 2006 - 09:44 AM.

I didn't lose my mind - I have it backed up on a disk ... somewhere

#7 petunia4998

petunia4998

Village Elder

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,533 posts

Posted 03 July 2006 - 02:39 PM

That is very interesting, aloha. May I ask where you got that information? Do you know much of that story? There is some similarity, but there is a difference between a woman who kills her children, and a person whom we consider a "cry baby". Although I don't know how the Brazilians regard it.

It seems as if it's an American story then.
petunia4998

#8 jcmirada

jcmirada

Junior Villager

• PipPip
  • 43 posts

Posted 05 July 2006 - 10:21 AM

:Spaz: i wonder if the chorona is the same as la llorona. i talked to my friend and told him about this link. he is going to tell his experience. he says he is giving a complete detail story. thanks WILLOW for the info on la llorona. its almost similar to the one i know. The story mentions about kids misteriously disapearing. in mexico there are reports of that happening and also failed attemps. :clap:

#9 aloha_spirit

aloha_spirit

I'm 100% Poi Dog!

• Town Council
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,534 posts
  • Interests:Computer Programming, Books, Movies, Nature, Religion.

Posted 05 July 2006 - 10:49 AM

chorão / chorona is someone who cries a lot (from the verb chorar -- to cry, same as llorar in Spanish). A chorona cries over the children she drowned.

I didn't lose my mind - I have it backed up on a disk ... somewhere

#10 whiskeysuicide

whiskeysuicide

Villager

• PipPipPip
  • 158 posts
  • Interests:. joe strummer <3 . the clash . the mescarleros . this rockin' world . reggae . elvis . kitty-cats . riots . supernatural . vampires. faeries . aliens . jurassic park . ghosts . graveyards . ramen noodles . my love. yer face . ATHF . DBZ . chalupas . animals . halloween . ookie spookie things . saving the world .

Posted 24 July 2006 - 03:09 PM

yeah i read that little story not too long ago in english.

yeah i read that little story not too long ago in english class --

Superior Galactic Grandma, after eatinga block of cheese, smoking three packsof cigarettes, and drinking a quart of milk... disgusting, that's the word ...R.I.P. Adam Sanders & Steve Harmonilove&missyouboth

#11 Bobnoxious

Bobnoxious

Village Elder

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 645 posts
  • Interests:Music (heavy metal, punk rock, rockabilly, progressive rock, old country, garage rock, and other non mainstream sounds), movies (horror, sci-fi, exploitation, independent, foreign, and old classics mainly), writing (mostly for my zine/website Utter Trash - http://www.uttertrash.net), and singing for my band Horror of 59 (http://www.horrorof59.com).

Posted 28 July 2006 - 02:51 AM

In my opinion, the same story has an American version as well - the "Crybaby Bridge" stories that are very common in the U.S. share many similarities. They generally involve women throwing their children into a river, but whereas the Latino versions have the woman as the ghost, the American versions usually have the children as the ghosts. Details vary, but in general it's said that if you go to the bridge where the children were supposedly thrown into the water at a certain time, you will hear the sounds of crying like a baby. Just in the state where I live (Ohio), there are over a dozen "Crybaby Bridge" legends.

By the way, for the cinematically inclined there are some Mexican horror movies featuring La Llorona. In fact, she even fights "El Santo", the masked wrestler, in one.
"Future events such as these will affect you in the future." - Criswell, 'Plan 9 From Outer Space'

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users