Olde Hill Burial Grounds, Newburyport, MA

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 GhostCat

GhostCat

Certified husband trainer....guaranteed he won't track dirt

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 885 posts
  • Interests:Travelling New England by land and sea, local history, houses - as I am a real estate appraiser, I teach Special Education too, love all the kids I work with... they teach me too, lol, and add lots of smiles to my day....my cats, my goffin cockatoo parrot that is loud, smart and talkative, walking, bicycling, skiing, ice hockey, watching the Patriots, the Bruins and the Red Sox (Woo Hoo.. Fenway Painters..My sister and brother in laws business that paint the Park and my nephew that paints the famous "green monster") lighthouses, antiques, gardening, trying new restaurants, classic movies (love Cary Grant and Alfred Hitchcock), big band music, laughing and being around others that like to laugh, ghost stories - I love to hear other peoples experiences as I have so many to tell myself.

Posted 07 July 2006 - 08:53 PM

Olde Hille Burial Grounds is in my town, Newburyport, MA. This cemetery is listing in "The Shadowlands" as haunted. There is going to be a tour of this cemetery, during our "Yankee Homecoming festival" which lasts from July 29-Aug 6th. The tour of the olde Hill will be on Thursday, August 3rd from 12:30 to 1:30 pm, admission is just a dollar. More interesting is the tour before and after this one at the Oak Hill Cemetery in Newburyport. (10 am to noon and 2 pm to 4 pm). It is a two hour tour, and a two dollar donation. I have been on this cemetery tour and loved it. The tour guide is Todd Woodworth, native of Newburyport, historian and part owner of a funeral home. He ( since he is elderly, walking with a cane now) with will be accompanied by his daughter. Awesome chance to know everything about the cemeteries here in Newburyport. It really is a great tour and first time they are doing one of the olde burial ground. I will be there, of course. If you need more info. or directions, let me know.
"Women and cats will do as they please, and men and dogs should relax and get used to the idea."-- Robert A. Heinlein

#2 DukeofBoogie

DukeofBoogie

Did the Time Warp at his wedding!

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,274 posts
  • Interests:The Paranormal, Rock music, Movies, History (Especially the American Civil War), and spending time with my wife and daughter.

Posted 08 July 2006 - 06:35 AM

That sounds awsome. I wish I could come out there for that. New Egland Cemeteries are the nicest I've seen. But that's only comparing with the few places I've been. But the Grave stones have a special style don't you see in Ohio or other areas.

Edited by DukeofBoogie, 10 July 2006 - 05:01 AM.

http://www.facebook....59567008?v=wallhttp://www.cdbaby.co...eblackriverboyshttp://www.zoarcivilwar.com/In great deeds something abides. On great fields something stays.....Spirits linger, to consecrate ground for the vision place of souls. And reverent men and women from afar, and generations that know us not and that we know not of, heart-drawn to where and by whom great things were suffered and done for them, shall come to this deathless field, to ponder and dream; and lo! The shadow of a mighty presence shall wrap them in its bosom, and the power of the vision pass into thier soles.-Joshua Lawrence Chamberlain

I've been hit byPosted Image mrsspookypants

#3 Dodi

Dodi

Village Elder

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 875 posts
  • Interests:Lighthouses, Suprnatural, Photography, Cemeteries, Abandon Buildings (especially Hospitals, or Insane Asylums), learning new things...

Posted 09 July 2006 - 08:19 PM

I thought that one was in Ipswich, mabe there one in Ipswich too. The one inIpswich is pretty weird. I love it but that's the only other one i won't go into alone, Howard Street being the first one I won't go in alone at night...
Life, you gotta love it, the humor of it all! After all, isn't that what life is, one big joke???Dodie

#4 GhostCat

GhostCat

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 885 posts
  • Interests:Travelling New England by land and sea, local history, houses - as I am a real estate appraiser, I teach Special Education too, love all the kids I work with... they teach me too, lol, and add lots of smiles to my day....my cats, my goffin cockatoo parrot that is loud, smart and talkative, walking, bicycling, skiing, ice hockey, watching the Patriots, the Bruins and the Red Sox (Woo Hoo.. Fenway Painters..My sister and brother in laws business that paint the Park and my nephew that paints the famous "green monster") lighthouses, antiques, gardening, trying new restaurants, classic movies (love Cary Grant and Alfred Hitchcock), big band music, laughing and being around others that like to laugh, ghost stories - I love to hear other peoples experiences as I have so many to tell myself.

Posted 09 July 2006 - 09:27 PM

I thought that one was in Ipswich, mabe there one in Ipswich too. The one inIpswich is pretty weird. I love it but that's the only other one i won't go into alone, Howard Street being the first one I won't go in alone at night...

There is one in Ipswich, off of route 1a on High Street, Highland Cemetery I think it is called. It is very intriguing looking, it is high on a hill, the stairs lead up and seem to disappear at the top. I have always wanted to stop there too and look. I have always been drawn to that cemetery for some reason. The only reason I haven't is because there is no place to park. I think you can park on the street, but there does not seem to be that much room. The traffic has been bad on that road because of detours, two bridges were shut down after the flooding in the area. I think they are reopened now.

The Newburyport Olde Burial Hill is actually out in the open out on a hill and quite visible, and is open 24 hours, never see anyone there though. Alot of history in that one, this is the first tour that I know of that is being done. It is on Pond Street near the Barlett Mall (behind the old stone Superior Courthouse and the duck pond with a swan fountain in the middle). The Oak Hill is just up the street at the end of Pond Street, past the intersection of State Street, it is set back, the entrance is sort of hidden. Oak Hill is a hidden cemetery with many interesting stories.
"Women and cats will do as they please, and men and dogs should relax and get used to the idea."-- Robert A. Heinlein

#5 Dodi

Dodi

Village Elder

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 875 posts
  • Interests:Lighthouses, Suprnatural, Photography, Cemeteries, Abandon Buildings (especially Hospitals, or Insane Asylums), learning new things...

Posted 09 July 2006 - 09:38 PM

Sounds like I'm goin g for a ride on my day off soon...LOL...

If you do go to the one in Ipswich, I'de love to get your impressions, I won't tell you what's happen to me there till you go though...
Life, you gotta love it, the humor of it all! After all, isn't that what life is, one big joke???Dodie

#6 snakebiteoftexas

snakebiteoftexas

Senior Villager

• PipPipPipPip
  • 444 posts
  • Interests:searching for haunted places as i drive cross country in my 18 wheeler with my lovely wife and meeting people to go ghost hunting with and playing fantasy sports

Posted 09 July 2006 - 09:39 PM

will they allow cams on tour
Posted ImageWWW.SOUTHERNSPIRITSEEKERSOCIETY.COM

#7 GhostCat

GhostCat

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 885 posts

Posted 09 July 2006 - 09:43 PM

will they allow cams on tour

Oh yeah, I have been on the tour before someone was recording with a camcorder, alot had just cameras.
No, they will not mind.

#8 snakebiteoftexas

snakebiteoftexas

Senior Villager

• PipPipPipPip
  • 444 posts
  • Interests:searching for haunted places as i drive cross country in my 18 wheeler with my lovely wife and meeting people to go ghost hunting with and playing fantasy sports

Posted 13 July 2006 - 07:15 PM

great may be there
Posted ImageWWW.SOUTHERNSPIRITSEEKERSOCIETY.COM

#9 Skeptic Believer

Skeptic Believer

Junior Villager

• PipPip
  • 26 posts

Posted 28 July 2006 - 11:54 AM

great may be there

It's an interesting cemetary. Unfortunately it hasn't been well maintained. A lot of broken and knocked over gravestones. I have a lot of pictures from there, nothing supernatural, but just cool looking.

#10 Roxie Z

Roxie Z

Junior Villager

• PipPip
  • 82 posts

Posted 07 August 2006 - 11:47 AM

:D Did anyone go? I would have liked to have gone - but alas it was during the workday. I've been to the graveyard many times, and there is absolutely some little tunneling critter who is creating havoc on hte hill....
Bestselling Local Author & Proprietor of New England Curiosities Tours & Events. Experience local legends, lore and mystery. New England CuriositiesPosted Image

#11 GhostCat

GhostCat

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 885 posts

Posted 07 August 2006 - 03:43 PM

Yes, I did go on the tour. It was very interesting as they have never toured that one before.
They had to keep warning everyone about the woodchuck holes, there were many and with alot of areas of the cemetery not cut well, it would be easy to twist an ankle or worse. I would not recommend going there in the dark for that reason only. The weather was beautiful, for some reason a cold sea breeze had just come in and it was very windy being high on the hill. A website was mentioned, www.gravematter.com If you click on "cemeteries" in the green box, it will pull up alot of cemeteries of coastal New England. I have not had a chance to look at anything but the Olde Hill Burial Ground on there, there are many photos of the gravestones with descriptions. Someone really put a lot of time and effort into that website. I can't wait to have some free time to take a look at all that is on there.

#12 Dodi

Dodi

Village Elder

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 875 posts

Posted 07 August 2006 - 08:48 PM

That's so awsome...sorry I missed it...been doing alot of the ones up here and looking into some of the history...I love it...I'm glad you had fun...

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users