Scent?

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 Sevinkei

Sevinkei

• Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 23 July 2006 - 12:18 AM

I'm wondering what sort of smells can be associated with ghosts or any other paranormal occurences... I mean... I've read about the fragrances like floral perfumes and cigars that can be attached to ghosts of relatives, but... well, all my life, every now and then I'd smell this... smell. It's not good or bad, it just is. And I've never figured out where it comes from, and I can't even compare it to anything else I've ever smelled -- it's literally indescribable. And I'm curious to know if maybe similar things have been reported. I obviously don't know if this is a ghost or anything paranormal at all... I just don't have any other explanation. Plus this scent just doesn't exist anywhere else. lol

On a similar but unrelated note, has the scent of gunpowder been linked to anything unusual? I've read about it, like, at the sites of battles and such, but I also saw it mentioned in regards to a supposedly haunted painting (something like "no, there was no smell of gunpowder, but...") that had nothing to do with any sort of battle.

Thanks for dealing with my questions.

#2 kats_god

kats_god

Has a problem with gas?

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 30,378 posts
  • Interests:Art

Posted 23 July 2006 - 07:51 AM

Welcome to Ghostvillage Sevinkei. Pretty much any odd smell that normally doesn't belong where you are smelling it and the smell comes and goes it might be something paranormal. I had an expierence where I was in the shower and I smelled a strong odor of rotting meat. It was there for a minute then gone.
Check out my artwork at:http://www.jimdemick.com/
and on Facebook
Posted Image https://www.facebook.com/pages/The-Art-of-Jim-Demick/261669903877527

Posted ImagePosted Image

"There are some things money can't buy...A good imagination is one of them

#3 Crone

Crone

Village Elder

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 999 posts
  • Interests:Paranormal investigations, reading, crafts, Genealogy, Renaissance Faires,

Posted 23 July 2006 - 08:09 AM

Scents can be one of the most wonderful ways that the spirits communicate with us. There have been many times that I've been doing everyday tasks, both at home and at work, when I will suddenly be surrounded by a scent that reminds me of my late husband. I love that! Driving home one evening, the scent of roses filled the car. The first thought that came to mind was my grandmother. We were at a friend's house getting the wooded area ready for my sister's wedding, when suddenly we all noticed the scent of my father's aftershave, something that non of the guys there used. We all felt his presence with us.

One of the other reasons for picking up a particular scent is the energy sent from someone among the living who is going through a period of stress or turmoil. I've learned to listen with my nose, so to speak, and can usually pick up the phone and call the person who comes to mind when I detect some scents. Most of the time, that person is in the middle of an emotional crisis, and is unknowingly sending out s.o.s signals for help.
Still crazy after all these years. ....Paul Simon.... “What you leave behind is not what is engraved in stone monuments, but what is woven into the lives of others.” ....Pericles......

#4 GhostHunterGirl

GhostHunterGirl

• Pip
  • 8 posts
  • Interests:Paranormal Investigation/Research, historical research, science, reading, road trips, swimming.

Posted 11 August 2006 - 10:13 PM

I think that there can be many different scents associated with the paranormal. I think in order to really count them when you experience them though, you need to be aware of the place you are in and a little bit of it's background. For instance if you are investigating someones home and smell the scent of roses, which is a common smell it seems for paranormal occurances, and you know that the previous owner which died in the house wore a rose perfume or kept alot of roses around and it was considered their signature smell, then you could relate that possibly to an occurance. I think knowing the background of a place is not only essential for validating odd smells but also for a number of other things. I am getting off track though. Let me just say that some of the smells that I have personally learned/experienced that are commonly associated with possibly paranormal activity are roses, lavendar/lilac, sulfur, and not sure how to put this without coming right out and saying it, but a flatulance smell (sp?).

Posted ImageFounder/Supervisor of Paranormal Wind Ghost Hunters SocietyPosted Image**Tryin to Explain the Unexplained**Posted Image

Posted ImageContact PWGHS:ParanormalWindGHS@gmail.com

#5 Sevinkei

Sevinkei

• Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 11 August 2006 - 11:14 PM

The biggest confusion for me relating to the smell I mentioned before is that there is never really anything to connect one occurence to another. It doesn't occur in the same place, or when I'm around certain people, or anything like that... there's nothing in the environment to connect it. That's why it's always... bothered me, I guess. If I only smelled it in one place, I'd probably just ignore it, assuming it was something weird that happened to be in that room. Maybe it's connected to peoples' emotions, somehow? I feel like I can't even guess at it.

I guess I was kind of hoping someone else might've had something similar, an unidentifiable smell... Ah, well :)

#6 Tonyapgh

Tonyapgh

Junior Villager

• PipPip
  • 18 posts

Posted 17 August 2006 - 01:46 PM

The biggest confusion for me relating to the smell I mentioned before is that there is never really anything to connect one occurence to another. It doesn't occur in the same place, or when I'm around certain people, or anything like that... there's nothing in the environment to connect it. That's why it's always... bothered me, I guess. If I only smelled it in one place, I'd probably just ignore it, assuming it was something weird that happened to be in that room. Maybe it's connected to peoples' emotions, somehow? I feel like I can't even guess at it.

I guess I was kind of hoping someone else might've had something similar, an unidentifiable smell... Ah, well :D

My sister has the same thing happen to her occasionally. She says the only thing she could come close to comparing it to would be "old". When I asked her old what, she couldn't articulate (old clothes, old books, what?).
That's the closest I know to what you are describing, but as everyone else here mentioned, scent is one of the sensory links that could be alerted when anything paranormal happens.

Edited by Tonyapgh, 17 August 2006 - 01:47 PM.

#7 lrhorne

lrhorne

• Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 21 August 2006 - 11:14 PM

I guess I was kind of hoping someone else might've had something similar, an unidentifiable smell... Ah, well :(

My sister has the same thing happen to her occasionally. She says the only thing she could come close to comparing it to would be "old". When I asked her old what, she couldn't articulate (old clothes, old books, what?).
That's the closest I know to what you are describing, but as everyone else here mentioned, scent is one of the sensory links that could be alerted when anything paranormal happens.

I have been experiencing a wonderful smell for the last 3 months!! It is daily, sometimes only 3-5 times a day, and I have counted as high as 25 times a day on MANY days!! This smell lasts 10-60 seconds and will happen in my home, my cars, friend's homes, at stores... any where!! This all started after I prayed to God, Angels, Spirit Guides, deceased loved ones, anyone who would listen, when I was stressing over a situation. This has never happened to me before and has now continued for going on 4 months!! I would LOVE to know who/what it is...

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users