Can ghosts smell like smoke??

• Please log in to reply
15 replies to this topic

#1 Kristie

Kristie

• Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 27 July 2006 - 11:39 PM

I haven't encountered a ghost before, but I am curious about this thing that sort of freaked me out lastnight. My boyfriend and I were woke up about midnight by a long beep from one of the smoke detectors in the house, but it didn't continue to go off. It was like it was going to go into a full alarm, but didn't. My boyfriend got up and checked things out in which seemed just fine. It was just a few minutes later that he opened the outside door of our bedroom to get in some cool air and got back into bed. We were both trying to fall back to sleep, and then suddenly we both jumped out of bed from the smell of smoke in our room as though there was a small fire starting either in the house or outside. We ran around the house smelling and looking for anything that might indicate a fire, but didn't smell any smoke anywhere else in the house or outside. I thought it was absolutely odd that this happened. There was one other time that while I was trying to fall asleep I got a passing whif of smoke which startled me, and as I lay there it went away. Just like lastnight, it was only in our room, but gone as fast as it came. I was driving this morning on my way out for a few hours and only got a few blocks away and suddenly smelled the same scent as lastnight and the other time. There wasn't any fires or bbq's going, and I just can't explain any of it. The smell of smoke was not cigarette, but, rather the smell of wood starting to burn and no chemical smell either. I was just wondering if anyone had any ideas or if any of this sounds familiar to anyone. I am unsure of the supernatural, but don't doubt it either. Any ideas or suggestions would be great.

Thanks!!
Kristie

#2 jakob493

jakob493

Very greedy and not happy with just one tag

• PipPipPipPip
  • 427 posts

Posted 28 July 2006 - 12:42 AM

Hi Kristie, welcome to the village :)

Yes, its entirely possible for spiritual energy to affect all of your senses. I can't personally explain in depth on smell, but if you look for and send a personal message to Spooksareus, she went through the exact same thing, and might know how to help.

#3 spooksareus

spooksareus

Graceful leader of men who harvests wheat

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,003 posts
  • Interests:Healthy friends, supernatural science (oxy morans, lol!), cooking & baking, all animals, playing music (mostly jazz), art (all mediums), interesting & open minded people, truth, justice and liberal politics...

Posted 28 July 2006 - 09:29 AM

I deal with a smoking entity every few weeks! I've tried to get it on the patch or chewing gum but to no avail! :clap: I hate that thing... :headbang:

"It is perfectly monstrous the way people go about, nowadays, saying things against one behind one's back that are absolutely and entirely true." -Oscar Wilde “The Picture of Dorian Gray”

#4 amypz

amypz

Junior Villager

• PipPip
  • 68 posts

Posted 28 July 2006 - 12:55 PM

i would believe so.people report the scent of perfumes,foods etc... associated with supernatural activity.when i was a child the formal dining room would often have the "fall"scent of burning leaves at any given time of day or season and we would joke the "gardner is/has been here". amy

#5 spiritlady

spiritlady

Senior Villager

• PipPipPipPip
  • 398 posts
  • Interests:what ever comes to mind............

Posted 28 July 2006 - 01:13 PM

hi Kristie nice to meet you and welcome

i beleive you have a spirit ,that either has been tormented by a fire at some point in it's life on earth ,(or died from one) and is trying to find
a way out. Maybe it sees a lite in you, that it runs to you for help.
don't be afraid it , talk to it when the smoke smell is around.

SPL :Wall:
My Sesshomaru , my protectorPosted Image

#6 Kristie

Kristie

• Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 28 July 2006 - 02:15 PM

WOW!!! I didn't expect so many people to reply so quickly. Thank You all for giving your thoughts. I will keep a note of when these occurances happen and hopefully find some pattern to them. Maybe I will do some searching to find out if this house has had a major fire in the past also. Like I said previously, I have never seen an entity of any sort, but I do have a little extra sense of being able to think something will happen before it does, and most of the time it is small things and never really anything bad. I have read up on some of it and I guess it is called being a sensitive, but most of the time it happens is when I am have been somewhat stressed, or just when I have had a mentally full day. Anyone I tell about this doesn't have much to say and I guess that is because they can't relate, but I indeed think it is something more than nothing. :Wall:

Thanks for the warm welcome!!

Kristie

#7 Holly

Holly

Village Elder

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,441 posts

Posted 28 July 2006 - 08:12 PM

Welcome, Kristie..

Am I understanding correctly that this is a smoke as in fire scent, and not a smoke, as in cigarette scent?

If it's fire, and I think it is...then I think you should research the surrounding area as well as your home.
Has there been a fire in nearby woods? Was there a nearby commercial building fire in which lives were lost? If so, then possibly a lost soul has found his/her way to your home for some sort of solace.

This is an interesting event - - Many spirits do carry a scent with them - I guess the most common is perfume because often scents spark a memory with us and let us know who our visitor is.

In your case, you have a lot of research to do, if you want to...But I would definitely work on this.

I'd also set up a camcorder..

First of all, Kristie...and most importantly...check the wiring in your home to be assured that you're not having electrical issues in your walls, okay? Play it safe.
Posted Image Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image I've been hit by mrsspookypants

#8 Kristie

Kristie

• Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 29 July 2006 - 02:32 PM

Yes, I am speaking of a smoke smell other than cigarette smoke. It is a fresh smell and rather pleasant, but, frightning in the middle of the night. I will keep an eye out for problems with the wiring, but like I said there is no other odor with it. I will also try and research whether or not there was either a fire at this house or in the neighborhood.

Thanks,

Kristie

#9 kalima

kalima

• Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 29 July 2006 - 05:39 PM

Yes, I am speaking of a smoke smell other than cigarette smoke. It is a fresh smell and rather pleasant, but, frightning in the middle of the night. I will keep an eye out for problems with the wiring, but like I said there is no other odor with it. I will also try and research whether or not there was either a fire at this house or in the neighborhood.

Thanks,

Kristie

i think ghosts can smell like anything familiar. does this remind you of someone or someplace that will stir memories?

kalima

Thanks,

Kristie

i think ghosts can smell like anything familiar. does this remind you of someone or someplace that will stir memories?

kalima

Thanks,

Kristie

dear kristie,

i am new to this site. my smoke detector went off 3 times in a row 2 sunday mornings ago. that's all. the batteries are fine and there was no fire. when asked if something was missing, i only noticed a tube of salon pas that was in the bathroom. i believe someone was attempting to contact me. it sure got my attention. my dear friend passed away 5 years ago thursday. at the time of his death, he was in a great deal of pain.

kalima

#10 Prometheus

Prometheus

Villager

• PipPipPip
  • 227 posts

Posted 30 July 2006 - 03:14 AM

It has been in my experience that spirits will often use scents in a way to communicate with the living.Sometimes a spirit does not (seemingly) have the ability to manifest in other ways and chooses scents to do this.The meaning of the scent can vary quite a bit,for example,the spirit of a loved might project the smell of a favorite flower or cigar smoke,if that scent is something that you would identify of them.They are attempting to make you aware of thier presence.A spirit may manifest a smell in order to communicate information about itself,for example,a spirit who spent a lot of times in the woods may project a scent of pines in order to relate that information to you.Finally,a spirit may use scent in order to communicate information about its demise,in this case the smoke smell could indicate that the person died in a fire,or in another instance,a swampy smell could be a way for the spirit to communicate it drowned.There have been reports of people who have unexplainably smell a rotting smell in their homes,only to find out about someone passing there at some point, a message from the spirit to communicate knowledge of thier passing in the home.

#11 Kristie

Kristie

• Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 30 July 2006 - 09:31 PM

That all certainly makes sense to me, however, the smoke smell doesn't ring any bells. I don't know of anyone who has either died in a fire or who I would associate with smoke. I am not sure where to begin to search about this house though. I did some checking online for any fires in my neighborhood and at this particular address, but found nothing. The entire situation felt odd to me and it hasn't happened since, nor has the smoke alarm made another sound. I am just waiting to see if something happens again and then I will make a record of it to compare any other instances to.

Thanks for all the help!!!

Kristie :)

#12 Prometheus

Prometheus

Villager

• PipPipPip
  • 227 posts

Posted 30 July 2006 - 10:34 PM

Kristie, dont think of the smell having to mean anything to you.In some cases that is the case ,but not always.This spirit may just be communicating that he had some relation to the smoke smell ,this may be very important to it.How is the smoke smell important or how it could relate to the spirit is anyones guess.It could be a case as mentioned before that the spirit died in a fire,or maybe it was a firemen in life.That is the thing with spirit communication,is seldom ever clear or precise as to what they are trying to get across.

#13 Ryan540

Ryan540

Junior Villager

• PipPip
  • 85 posts
  • Interests:I have always been interested in the paranormal. I also like listening to music, playing guitar, and videogames.

Posted 31 July 2006 - 12:17 PM

Anythings possible with a ghost. Even smelling like smoke.
Don't trust the shadows because they throw things at you.

#14 Kristie

Kristie

• Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 31 July 2006 - 05:30 PM

Hmm.....Ok, thanks for the information. I will continue watching to see if anything else happens, or should I say smelling?

#15 Kristie

Kristie

• Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 26 August 2006 - 09:16 PM

Ok, I have an update, although it isn't any explanation to what I've been smelling from time to time. I have smelled the smoke 2 more times to no avail. My boyfriend noticed it too and the other time was when I was out of town at my Mom's house and she smelled it too. I jumped up to look for a source and went outside first with no other sign of the smell out there. It went away after 2-3 minutes. I wish I knew what is going on!!

Wondering :Spaz:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users