Hearing screams at night. . .

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 OrangeZest

OrangeZest

• Pip
  • 8 posts

Posted 17 August 2006 - 12:42 AM

Tonight my sister was downstairs on the computer IMing a friend when she heard a "horror film" scream. She quickly signed off and came upstairs to tell me (1:20am). She forgot to turn the light off and goes back down dismissing the scream to turn it off. She gets back on the computer types, and hears it again. The sound is not on and there were no hidden internet pop ups up. As she walked upstairs she noticed a motion light was on outside on the back porch near the computer room that wasn't on before. She said the scream was a bit distant but close enough to hear, let's say 1,000 feet away. Could it be her imagination run wild, or something else?

Thanks for your comments.

#2 jonin kitsune

jonin kitsune

Junior Villager

• PipPip
  • 26 posts
  • Interests:Martial arts<br />Japan!<br />The paranormal...oohhh!Spooky!

Posted 17 August 2006 - 01:55 AM

Could the noise be from a neighbour?Or cats fighting,which would also explain the motion sensor picking up movement.I think you should approach this with a more skeptical view at first,rather than assuming it was supernatural.Not saying that it wasnt,but I think you should examine all the other options first!
[/font][font=Book Antiqua]

#3 Vivienne_DuBois

Vivienne_DuBois

Village Elder

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 625 posts

Posted 17 August 2006 - 05:45 AM

This one really bothers me and I agree with jonin kitsune.

If ever I heard a sound like that, I would have called the police immediately. My first thought upon reading this was possible domestic abuse, as would have been my first thought if ever I heard screaming. Better safe than sorry when hearing screaming - the police are there to serve and protect us and our fellow man and, even if it turned out to be nothing, I’m sure the police wouldn’t have minded coming over and checking things out for you and your sister.

Not everything is paranormal. We need to look out for our fellow man. Again, better safe than sorry. My heart breaks at the thought of this being someone crying out for help and their screams going unanswered.

Viv

Edited by Vivienne_DuBois, 17 August 2006 - 05:47 AM.

#4 Morbid

Morbid

Thinks the jelly runs out of the peanut butter sandwich in head

• PipPipPipPip
  • 449 posts

Posted 17 August 2006 - 06:08 AM

Could have been cats as jonin kitsune said, or it may have been cats.... ahem... being together... They tend to sound much like the b-movie, public domain screams, and from a distance they sound more like children screaming. But if it's not cats, then this is a bit crazy. I love it.
Nothing is true, everything is permitted.The law of Chaos.

#5 purplecatfish

purplecatfish

• Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 17 August 2006 - 09:05 AM

It could also have been Racoons fighting. My husband and I thought a woman was being murderend outside our window one night, turned out to be racoons. There is also another animal that sounds like a scream and that is called a Fisher. Look them up they are scary, main diet consist of porrcupine (sp).

#6 Holly

Holly

Village Elder

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,441 posts

Posted 17 August 2006 - 09:11 AM

Orange,

I do agree with the advice given to this point...Always rule out the mundane explanations first..

Two things caught my attention..First, the motion detector, of course. That would signify an animal or a live person, to me.

Also..each time she heard the screaming, she seems to have been online...even when she went back down to turn off the light, she typed in a few more words..

And so, I have to ask if her speakers were on...I understand there were no pop-ups, etc, but people can do funny things through IM..And in her distress, your sister may have thoguht the sounds were further away...Wishful thinking, perhaps, on her part.
Posted Image Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image I've been hit by mrsspookypants

#7 OrangeZest

OrangeZest

• Pip
  • 8 posts

Posted 17 August 2006 - 10:25 AM

I never thought about the cat thing. That's a good one. I wasn't aware that cats or racoons sounded like people when they screamed. I was skeptical and was trying to figure it out. I saw a black cat in my yard just the other day that I'd never seen int he neighborhood before, so that makes total sense. : ) thanks guys

And so, I have to ask if her speakers were on...

She checked they were off

#8 Furrycheeky

Furrycheeky

Junior Villager

• PipPip
  • 27 posts

Posted 17 August 2006 - 05:19 PM

I had this recently, I have just moved to a countryside location and heard what I would call spine tingling screams.
Upon further investigation it was Fox cubs playing/fighting, but on first hearing I would have sworn someone was being killed.

#9 Crone

Crone

Village Elder

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 999 posts
  • Interests:Paranormal investigations, reading, crafts, Genealogy, Renaissance Faires,

Posted 18 August 2006 - 09:27 PM

Most likely what she heard were animals, especially with the motion detector going off. Cats and raccoons can sound horrible. If it really sounded human, though, I agree with Vivienne to have it check out. Better to be safe and embarrassed than sorry.
Still crazy after all these years. ....Paul Simon.... “What you leave behind is not what is engraved in stone monuments, but what is woven into the lives of others.” ....Pericles......

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users