31 replies to this topic

#1 starlitkate

starlitkate

Junior Villager

• PipPip
  • 93 posts
  • Interests:www.unexplained-mysteries.com<br />www.angelsghosts.com

Posted 17 August 2006 - 09:14 AM

TURNER, Maine (Aug. 17) - Residents are wondering if an animal found dead over the weekend may be the mysterious creature that has mauled dogs, frightened residents and been the subject of local legend for half a generation.

The animal was found near power lines along Route 4 on Saturday, apparently struck by a car while chasing a cat. The carcass was photographed and inspected by several people who live in the area, but nobody is sure exactly what it is.

Michelle O'Donnell of Turner spotted the animal near her yard about a week before it was killed. She called it a "hybrid mutant of something."

"It was evil, evil looking. And it had a horrible stench I will never forget," she told the Sun Journal of Lewiston. "We locked eyes for a few seconds and then it took off. I've lived in Maine my whole life and I've never seen anything like it."

For the past 15 years, residents across Androscoggin County have reported seeing and hearing a mysterious animal with chilling monstrous cries and eyes that glow in the night. The animal has been blamed for attacking and killing a Doberman pinscher and a Rottweiler the past couple of years.

People from Litchfield, Sabattus, Greene, Turner, Lewiston and Auburn have come forward to speak of a mystery monster that roams the woods. Nobody knows for sure what it is, and theories have ranged from a hyena or dingo to a fisher or coydog, an offspring of a coyote and a wild dog.

Now, people are asking if the mystery beast and the animal killed over the weekend are one and the same.

Wildlife officials and animal control officers declined to go to Turner to examine the remains. By Tuesday, the carcass had been picked clean by vultures and there was not much left of the dead animal.

Loren Coleman, a Portland author and cryptozoologist, said it's unlikely that the animal was anybody's pet.

After reviewing photos of the carcass, Coleman said he was bothered by the animal's ears and snout. It reminded him of a case years ago in northern Maine in which an animal shot by a hunter could not be identified. In the end, wildlife officials got a DNA analysis that showed the animal was a rare wolf-dog hybrid, he said.

Mike O'Donnell, who is married to Michelle O'Donnell, said the animal looked "half-rodent, half-dog" to him.

It was charcoal gray, weighed between 40 and 50 pounds and had a bushy tail, a short snout, short ears and curled fangs hanging over its lips, he said. It looked like "something out of a Stephen King story."

"This is something I've never seen before. It's an evil-looking thing," he said.
Mysterious Hybrid Creature
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

:hug: I don't know what to think of it. I'm wondering if it's a dog or part dog/werewolf. Ugly looking dog for sure!!!

Click Below to View my Site!!

Posted Image

#2 whiskeysuicide

whiskeysuicide

Villager

• PipPipPip
  • 158 posts
  • Interests:. joe strummer &lt;3 . the clash . the mescarleros . this rockin' world . reggae . elvis . kitty-cats . riots . supernatural . vampires. faeries . aliens . jurassic park . ghosts . graveyards . ramen noodles . my love. yer face . ATHF . DBZ . chalupas . animals . halloween . ookie spookie things . saving the world .

Posted 18 August 2006 - 01:34 PM

TURNER, Maine (Aug. 17) - Residents are wondering if an animal found dead over the weekend may be the mysterious creature that has mauled dogs, frightened residents and been the subject of local legend for half a generation.

The animal was found near power lines along Route 4 on Saturday, apparently struck by a car while chasing a cat. The carcass was photographed and inspected by several people who live in the area, but nobody is sure exactly what it is.

Michelle O'Donnell of Turner spotted the animal near her yard about a week before it was killed. She called it a "hybrid mutant of something."

"It was evil, evil looking. And it had a horrible stench I will never forget," she told the Sun Journal of Lewiston. "We locked eyes for a few seconds and then it took off. I've lived in Maine my whole life and I've never seen anything like it."

For the past 15 years, residents across Androscoggin County have reported seeing and hearing a mysterious animal with chilling monstrous cries and eyes that glow in the night. The animal has been blamed for attacking and killing a Doberman pinscher and a Rottweiler the past couple of years.

People from Litchfield, Sabattus, Greene, Turner, Lewiston and Auburn have come forward to speak of a mystery monster that roams the woods. Nobody knows for sure what it is, and theories have ranged from a hyena or dingo to a fisher or coydog, an offspring of a coyote and a wild dog.

Now, people are asking if the mystery beast and the animal killed over the weekend are one and the same.

Wildlife officials and animal control officers declined to go to Turner to examine the remains. By Tuesday, the carcass had been picked clean by vultures and there was not much left of the dead animal.

Loren Coleman, a Portland author and cryptozoologist, said it's unlikely that the animal was anybody's pet.

After reviewing photos of the carcass, Coleman said he was bothered by the animal's ears and snout. It reminded him of a case years ago in northern Maine in which an animal shot by a hunter could not be identified. In the end, wildlife officials got a DNA analysis that showed the animal was a rare wolf-dog hybrid, he said.

Mike O'Donnell, who is married to Michelle O'Donnell, said the animal looked "half-rodent, half-dog" to him.

It was charcoal gray, weighed between 40 and 50 pounds and had a bushy tail, a short snout, short ears and curled fangs hanging over its lips, he said. It looked like "something out of a Stephen King story."

"This is something I've never seen before. It's an evil-looking thing," he said.
Mysterious Hybrid Creature
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

:hug: I don't know what to think of it. I'm wondering if it's a dog or part dog/werewolf. Ugly looking dog for sure!!!

awe. i think he's cute.
i shoulda saved him.
i'm in maine.
mutant or not, i like him.

Superior Galactic Grandma, after eatinga block of cheese, smoking three packsof cigarettes, and drinking a quart of milk... disgusting, that's the word ...R.I.P. Adam Sanders & Steve Harmonilove&missyouboth

#3 Night Star

Night Star

Senior Villager

• PipPipPipPip
  • 431 posts
  • Interests:Paranormal, animals, reading, music, dragons, fairies, elves, being creative...

Posted 18 August 2006 - 04:49 PM

It looks like a dog/wolf hybrid.
Posted Image

#4 Stacia25

Stacia25

• Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 21 August 2006 - 06:57 AM

I was really "Shocked" when I read this article. I'm a Mainer I live in the small town of South Paris Maine between Lewiston and Portland Maine. It's only about 10 minutes from the Lewiston/Auburn Area. I'm now 25 years old so this happened about 11 years ago when I was 14 or 15 years old. It was in September or October because it had already started to get dark early around 7 or 8 O'Clock and it was already statring to get cold in Maine.
My friend Stacy and I had been at a mutual Friend or ours house and Stacy and I decided to walk to my house, we were going to ask my Mom if she could spend the night that night. We were in my house watching T.V. when we heard my Mom pull up outside in the driveway At this time it was like 9:00 PM. My Mom came in the door and called me to come outside Stacy followed behind me, my mom pointed up to the woods behind our house and there up in the woods is what looked like a large wolf or small bear looking creature that seemed to be standing up on it's hind legs(like a human would stand) It was about 10 feet away and just stood there in the dark looking at us. It was too tall to be a dog or wolf and too thin to be a bear it seemed like it was standing. It's eyes were almost glowing. We have allso had a few cats that have gone missing while I was growing up. But I had never heard any of these stories i'm going to send this article to my Mom. I never fogot that night but only saw it that one time. I did'nt hear any noises that night, and it did'nt seem afraid of us.

#5 petunia4998

petunia4998

Village Elder

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,533 posts

Posted 21 August 2006 - 03:05 PM

Does anybody think it bears some resemblance to the picture of the strange creature in somebody's back yard that was submitted a few months ago? I think it does.
petunia4998

#6 jakob493

jakob493

Very greedy and not happy with just one tag

• PipPipPipPip
  • 427 posts

Posted 21 August 2006 - 07:59 PM

Petunia, are you talking about the strange dog-like thing seen in Omaha, NE? You're right, it does look similar, but it would be strange if these things lived all over between Nebraska and Maine, and no one has found any others (that I'm aware of). Its entirely possible though.

Stacia25, thats amazing!! :(

#7 Yosei

Yosei

Thinks bats and skeletons are.....CUTE?

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,560 posts

Posted 21 August 2006 - 08:30 PM

Yeah, it definitely looks like just a big dog to me, probably with some Boxer or other heavy-jowled breed in him. Poor thing!
"I could die a thousand times, but I'll always be here..."---Rozz Williams"It's not the sound of a new generation, it is the noise of a degenerate nation...the Nightmare of the American Dream..."---DomianaNeed gifts for goths? Handmade jewelry, clothing, porcelain & more! http://www.accentuateyourlook.com

#8 starlitkate

starlitkate

Junior Villager

• PipPip
  • 93 posts
  • Interests:www.unexplained-mysteries.com<br />www.angelsghosts.com

Posted 21 August 2006 - 10:48 PM

Wow~ Alot of Mainers on the forums here. But they do say Maine is the number one haunted state in US...

Click Below to View my Site!!

Posted Image

#9 Prometheus

Prometheus

Villager

• PipPipPip
  • 227 posts

Posted 22 August 2006 - 02:16 AM

The remains of the critter were sent off to a lab the other day for DNA testing,so there should be an answer as to what it is or is not in a week or so.

#10 Morbid

Morbid

Thinks the jelly runs out of the peanut butter sandwich in head

• PipPipPipPip
  • 449 posts

Posted 23 August 2006 - 12:05 AM

KITTY!
Nothing is true, everything is permitted.The law of Chaos.

#11 Justa

Justa

Champion YMCA dancer and professional spaghetti nose shooter

• Town Council
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,497 posts

Posted 24 August 2006 - 07:15 AM

I find it funny how every "strange" looking animal that somebody finds is sent to a forensics lab to determine what it is, but by the time the test results come back, the story has faded and we never hear the results.

It's also a little peculiar that the skull of the creature had been taken away from the site by the time the animal expert showed up.

For those of you living in Maine, I have a question. Do you have a large problem with vultures there? I'm not being sarcastic or funny, I'm serious. When I think of vultures I think of hot arid places for the most part. We have turkey vultures here, but I've not heard of them on the east coast.
Posted Image

#12 Laurie Ann

Laurie Ann

Your imagination IS running off with you!

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,025 posts
  • Interests:I love to do yard work, re-arrange my home constantly, draw and get tattoos that have significant meaning to me, garage sales/yard sales fanatic. My home is haunted by I believe 2 spirits, so I'm never alone when everyone is asleep! I'm trying to label the gifts I have, although I try to keep them a secret from my husband..he wouldn't understand. My 20 year old is now living on his own and does so great! My 6 year old is a little me, and the baby will be 5 December. He's about 8-12 months behind, but that smile...that beautiful smile.

Posted 24 August 2006 - 07:24 AM

~Did anyone else notice the eye color? I know Siberian Huskies can have blue eye's, but on this dog, it looked odd...out of place. All in all, it looks like a regular 'ol dog to me...with creepy blue eye's. :Spaz:
~Women are angels...and when someone breaks our wings, we simply continue to fly...on a broomstick. We're flexible like that.~

#13 whiskeysuicide

whiskeysuicide

Villager

• PipPipPip
  • 158 posts
  • Interests:. joe strummer &lt;3 . the clash . the mescarleros . this rockin' world . reggae . elvis . kitty-cats . riots . supernatural . vampires. faeries . aliens . jurassic park . ghosts . graveyards . ramen noodles . my love. yer face . ATHF . DBZ . chalupas . animals . halloween . ookie spookie things . saving the world .

Posted 24 August 2006 - 03:43 PM

you know...
i don't think it's scary or a hybrid
of course i'm no expert
but it kind of just looks like a dirty , grey dog.
pretty blue eyes, which is odd.
but i don't see why people said he was evil...
besides the fact that he ate another dog...
hmmm... maybe he was hungry.
haha. he just seems dangerous.
not mutant.

Superior Galactic Grandma, after eatinga block of cheese, smoking three packsof cigarettes, and drinking a quart of milk... disgusting, that's the word ...R.I.P. Adam Sanders & Steve Harmonilove&missyouboth

#14 LycanGhost

LycanGhost

Senior Villager

• PipPipPipPip
  • 349 posts
  • Interests:Knitting and crocheting, scrapbooking, reading, listening to music and singing

Posted 25 August 2006 - 10:13 PM

Kinda creepy looking... Glad I don't live in Maine!!!!!!!!!

Posted Image

Cry Havoc! And let loose the Dobermans of war!

My knitting and crocheting blog.

Life is too short to take seriously, none of us get out of it alive.

Each morning when I open my eyes I say to myself: I, not events, have the power to make me happy or unhappy today. I can choose which it shall be.Yesterday is dead, tomorrow hasn't arrived yet. I have just one day, today, and I'm going to be happy in it.

http://www.nomorerack.com/?cr=9281971

#15 whiskeysuicide

whiskeysuicide

Villager

• PipPipPip
  • 158 posts

Posted 25 August 2006 - 10:16 PM

i do.
maine's alright.
i wish there was more beasties.
no not really.
cuz then people would kill 'em.
or put 'em in a lab.
*cries*

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users