• Please log in to reply
45 replies to this topic

#16 secretsign

secretsign

Loves to take trash and make treasures

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,629 posts

Posted 21 September 2006 - 12:57 PM

And they wouldn't be picked up foe more that one season. So I would say something is working for them.
Slainte mhor agus a h-uile beannachd duibh Good health and every blessing to you

#17 feusurlaneige

feusurlaneige

Not a very good "ghost" detective!

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,248 posts

Posted 22 September 2006 - 05:07 PM

I couldnt say if the people in the show are fakes or not. Some of the footage that I have seen though with orbs showing and some of those noises like tapping and knocks etc , well that sounds like the real deal to me because I have seen this for myself on investigations and that is exactly how those orbs look on video and with yoiur eyes and those taps etc (like the time something was tapping near the window over the corner ) sounded exactly how that is to me. I can only comment on those things....I really dont know about the rest.

#18 randystreu

randystreu

Village Elder

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 846 posts
  • Interests:video, paintball, theology, philosophy, political science, sci-fi, and so on, and so forth...

Posted 23 September 2006 - 12:15 PM

I couldnt say if the people in the show are fakes or not. Some of the footage that I have seen though with orbs showing and some of those noises like tapping and knocks etc , well that sounds like the real deal to me because I have seen this for myself on investigations and that is exactly how those orbs look on video and with yoiur eyes and those taps etc (like the time something was tapping near the window over the corner ) sounded exactly how that is to me. I can only comment on those things....I really dont know about the rest.

I understand your point, Feus. On the other hand, I've seen real tornado damage, too. But special effects exist to add a sense of realism, in most cases.

Sure, there are knocks and such on the show; but it really isn't difficult at all to fake.

Sorry -- I just have such a bad attitude about the show in general, inasmuch as the group is completely unprofessional (assuming that any of it is real), and just badly staged in some instances. Granted, Derek may have been the absolute worst of the bunch, but the hostess isn't exactly teeming with academic prowess, either.

#19 DukeofBoogie

DukeofBoogie

Did the Time Warp at his wedding!

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,274 posts
  • Interests:The Paranormal, Rock music, Movies, History (Especially the American Civil War), and spending time with my wife and daughter.

Posted 24 September 2006 - 08:05 AM

Once agian everything boils down to one thing. The Power of the Remote Control. If you don't like it, Change the channel. Yes Derek is a putz, and he's an embarassment to psychics everywhere, but if someone enjoys watching him, thats their business.

The fact that people investigated proves only that they need better things to do with their time. Why do people get so fired up? GEEZ, It's just a TV show.

And for those into exposing phonies... I appreciate what you all do, but some of you need to ease up. Post your findings let people read them and draw their conclusions. If they agree, that's great, if not, OH well. I'm just saying this because I've notice some really heated discussions on the validity of psychics, on this board. Some people (on both sides of the argument) really need to relax. Sometimes you have to agree to disagree (sorry for the use os a cliche).
http://www.facebook....59567008?v=wallhttp://www.cdbaby.co...eblackriverboyshttp://www.zoarcivilwar.com/In great deeds something abides. On great fields something stays.....Spirits linger, to consecrate ground for the vision place of souls. And reverent men and women from afar, and generations that know us not and that we know not of, heart-drawn to where and by whom great things were suffered and done for them, shall come to this deathless field, to ponder and dream; and lo! The shadow of a mighty presence shall wrap them in its bosom, and the power of the vision pass into thier soles.-Joshua Lawrence Chamberlain

I've been hit byPosted Image mrsspookypants

#20 YankeePyrate

YankeePyrate

Village Elder

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,280 posts
  • Interests:History, all things paranormal & macabre, good music, good friends, art, a few drinks...but most of all my amazing son.

Posted 24 September 2006 - 11:10 AM

It's fairly obvious that the only reason the TRAVEL CHANNEL picked up syndication of MH is to spur tourism/travel to the UK. Heck it works like a charm! Soon as I see the amazing locations they shoot at I want to pack my bags and be on the next plane to Heathrow!
Imo, about 60-70% of the "phenomena" on the show is just a result of suggestion/leading. Get a group of people in a dark, foreboding dungeon or what have you, then have one member suddenly claim to be "grabbed" or "touched" and things begin happening. On the flipside though, I do believe some of the stuff they've experienced has been real enough...though that seems to have not happened for some time.
I agree, Ciarian's presence is very good for the show. Yvette and her boys may fake some of the stuff, but to their credit they never try to disrepute or second-guess Ciarian, even if what he says makes them look foolish.
~ Visit my paranormal chronicles blog, "Sarah Haskell's Ghost" ~

#21 Crone

Crone

Village Elder

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 999 posts
  • Interests:Paranormal investigations, reading, crafts, Genealogy, Renaissance Faires,

Posted 24 September 2006 - 09:26 PM

I enjoy watching Most Haunted, but have never been a Derek Acorah fan. There's too much showmanship in his antics. I can usually ignore him, though. Seeing the locations makes up for him.
Still crazy after all these years. ....Paul Simon.... “What you leave behind is not what is engraved in stone monuments, but what is woven into the lives of others.” ....Pericles......

#22 Sean V

Sean V

Junior Villager

• PipPip
  • 27 posts
  • Interests:Sasquatch Research, General Cryptozoology, Camping, Hiking, Lokean Spirituality, Runes & Runecasting, Medieval Recreation, Reading, Writing

Posted 25 September 2006 - 06:31 AM

I tried to watch this program a couple of times, but I found it to be a little to corny for my tastes.

Some of the things in it were kind of neat, but too much of the material seemed to be pretty "wishy-washy", but then again I could just have been mistaken, I do not know much about hauntings & the such.
Western Canadian Sasquatch Research Organization (WCSRO)"I'll just keeping on looking 'til I find the darn thing." - Rene Dahinden, 1976.

#23 Axman

Axman

Chainsaws are better......

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,629 posts
  • Interests:Ghost hunting of course! Motorcycles is a big interest of mine. I also am a guitar player (hence my username) but I haven't practiced much over the last year or two. I also enjoy spending time with my wife and family when possible.

Posted 25 September 2006 - 11:01 AM

I used to feel that Derek Was a decent psychic at one time, and I do believe he was. As his career progressed I think he just elaborated and faked things just to try and add to his credibility. It had the opposite effect, however. You can only feed people so much dogfood before they eventually say, "Hey, this is dogfood were eating!"
Ah. Well... I attended Juilliard... I'm a graduate of the Harvard business school. I travel quite extensively. I lived through the Black Plague and had a pretty good time during that. I've seen the EXORCIST ABOUT A HUNDRED AND SIXTY-SEVEN TIMES, AND IT KEEPS GETTING FUNNIER EVERY SINGLE TIME I SEE IT... NOT TO MENTION THE FACT THAT YOU'RE TALKING TO A DEAD GUY... NOW WHAT DO YOU THINK? You think I'm qualified? --BeetlejuiceI'm the ghost with the most, babe.--BeetlejuiceWe've come for your daughter Chuck--Beetlejuice

#24 Moregan

Moregan

Junior Villager

• PipPip
  • 78 posts

Posted 25 September 2006 - 11:20 AM

Honestly, I don't think Derek is a real medium. I've never seen anything that convinced me. He's constantly over-acting. But somehow I think that's extremely funny. At least he's always good for a laugh.
Posted Image

#25 spooksareus

spooksareus

Graceful leader of men who harvests wheat

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,003 posts
  • Interests:Healthy friends, supernatural science (oxy morans, lol!), cooking & baking, all animals, playing music (mostly jazz), art (all mediums), interesting & open minded people, truth, justice and liberal politics...

Posted 25 September 2006 - 11:24 AM

He makes me crazy(er)! I was excited about the show when it was first being hyped, but I only watched about 15 minutes of one and was so disgusted by him that I've never watched it again...

"It is perfectly monstrous the way people go about, nowadays, saying things against one behind one's back that are absolutely and entirely true." -Oscar Wilde “The Picture of Dorian Gray”

#26 Vampchick21

Vampchick21

Looks Irish, loves Italian food, lives in Canada....must be lost

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,995 posts
  • Interests:knitting, crocheting, writing, cats, paranormal phenomena, cryptzoology, Monty Python

Posted 25 September 2006 - 11:50 AM

Well, take heart that near the end of season 7, he's gone. The Most Haunted Live - Jack the Ripper was his last episode. The new medium who joins right after is a thousand times better. Gels well with David Wells, and no over the top garbage.

Krafted with luv

by monsters

#27 ScarlettAngel

ScarlettAngel

Junior Villager

• PipPip
  • 24 posts
  • Interests:Paranormal would be a good one :)

Posted 25 September 2006 - 01:27 PM

I'm caught in the middle here in this discussion. I totally understand why those getting angry over the faking of the show would. It's like the witch burning days when everyone was so afraid of the supernatural. Do you really feel that times have changed so much? I have found I can't talk about my gifts with family and others because of the reactions I get. Even though I can prove them and have. This show is not good for those who are learning about the paranormal because it gives a false impression about what paranormal is about.

However on the other extreme, I find it very entertaining to watch glasses being pushed, people being 'taken over' and attacking other members of the crew, etc. I can't imagine what pressures the crew is being put under to keep the show active and entertaining. I guess I can understand on that aspect why they might fake something given the cost to go investigate an area. If they found it to be a dead end they bring out the tricks so it's not wasted.

When it comes to watching shows you can't forget that's exactly what you're doing. Like A Haunting dramatizes it's findings in a Hollywood style. It's a show. Nothing in comparison to going out and experiencing things yourself. I say if it helps more people get interested in the supernatural and stop being so staunchly against it, fine. But if you watch the show and then think you're an expert and go out and do it yourself, you might find you brought on a little more than you bargained for.

So that's my soap box explanation. Thanks.
Everything happens for a reason. Every bad storm is a bridge to a new beginning. Hope is something one should never take from another...for hope is what drives us to believe in a better tomorrow. Maybe people in the world wouldn't be so ugly if they were a little happier...so instead of harm I wish them well. What do you believe in?[i][color=#000066][font=Times New Roman][size=3]

#28 secretsign

secretsign

Loves to take trash and make treasures

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,629 posts

Posted 27 September 2006 - 06:36 PM

I gotta say I like to watch it, with a skeptic eye open. I used to watch Dark Shadows too, and liked it. Not that it claim to be real but it was entertaining.I tryed to watch when I got older but found it to be sooo corny! I think its your frame of mine or point of view.

Edited by secretsign, 27 September 2006 - 06:38 PM.

Slainte mhor agus a h-uile beannachd duibh Good health and every blessing to you

#29 MrGrey

MrGrey

Village Elder

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,528 posts
  • Interests:Guitar, mountain biking and general fitness, and ofcourse anything supernaturel, and now also Red vs Blue.

Posted 06 October 2006 - 06:55 AM

Hey guys

As an avid viewer of Most Haunted, i enjoy it alot and wether the whole show is fake or there are some unreliable people there i dont know. I have no idea wether any medium is telling the truth or not, i've never met one in person so i couldnt possibly say wether they are for real or fake, but when it came to Derek Acorah? after the first episode i saw him in i knew straight away he was'nt for real, some people got the gift of acting or playing up for the camera's but he didnt, i think myself to have a very good judge of character i and i can usually tell when someone is not on the ball, for me he always spoilt the show and i for one am glad that he was ousted, i have alot of respect for Ciaran o'keefe, he does'nt let himself get worked up in the surrounding tension and he doesnt succumb(sp?) to suggestion, i think he's a stand up guy. Derek's constant possesions in almost every show used to make me cringe, i actually felt embarassed for the guy when ever he went into one of rants, its not often a show makes me blush but he did from behind the screen, i did not like the guy. Also like i said i enjoy the show but i think when it comes to orbs, 99.9% of them are simply dust reflecting near the camera lense, but i dont know. David Wells is pretty good, again i have no idea wether he's genuine or not and since Derek left they now have guest mediums also which is good, i still watch the show even though there was speculation over wether the whole thing fake, but alas who knows.
You're sorta stuck where you areBut, in your dreams you can buy expensive cars,or live on mars and have it your wayAnd you hate your boss at your jobwell in your dreams you can blow his head offin your dreams show no mercy]Posted Image

#30 Wheels34

Wheels34

• Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 10 October 2006 - 06:51 AM

I also found Derek hard to believe when I watched the show. I love the show and his readings were just too phony. IMHO. I agree with someone else's response on this topic, he would say mention "dark arts" far too many times in most of the investigations. That made him rather hard to believe. And a lot of his information would be WAY off the mark on a lot of their cases.

I really enjoy watching David Wells though. I think he's more believable. I live in the U.S. so I haven't had a chance to see any episodes with the newest medium that replaced Derek.

This is a very entertaining program and I do enjoy watching it.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users