5 replies to this topic

#1 Grim Undertakings

Grim Undertakings

Voted most likely to be a janitor in Highschool

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,654 posts

Posted 20 September 2006 - 08:20 AM

Hi everybody,
My apologies if this thread already exists in the Village somewhere.
I've started to shop for an EMF reader ("What?! You've been ghost hunting for four years now and you don't have an EMF reader? For shame!" :clap: ) and I just wanted some input on what type to buy (I believe the correct one to buy is an EMF Tri-Field) and where a good place would be to get one. Also, as I noticed prices differed on the internet, what's the price range I should be looking at? Or, would a local store in my area carry one? If so, what type of store? Electicians-R-Us, maybe? :clap:

Basically, any input at all in regards to this would be appreciated. Thanks in advance!

Hmmm....maybe I should have posted this in "Beginners Block"....... :clap:

#2 Grim Undertakings

Grim Undertakings

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,654 posts

Posted 23 September 2006 - 11:55 PM

er....anyone? :whee:

#3 wayne2241

wayne2241

Senior Villager

• PipPipPipPip
  • 450 posts
  • Interests:Listen to Spooks R Us on the Para-X radio network, Mondays at 10pm eastern time, 7pm pacific. Go to http:www.para-x.com

Posted 24 September 2006 - 09:13 AM

The Trifield Natural is a wonderful piece of equipment. Look for it at around $199 new. It is uber-sensitive. If you want to buy it new, go to the source http://www.lessemf.com .You can always find them used on ebay for less. But, they are somewhat delicate and you can never be sure how they were taken care of.

MRIP

Posted Image

Listen to Spooks R Us on the Para-X network on Mondays at 9pm eastern time, 7pm pacific time. http:www.para-x.com

#4 Grim Undertakings

Grim Undertakings

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,654 posts

Posted 24 September 2006 - 10:45 AM

Thanks for the info and link, Wayne! It's a big help. :wow:

#5 nekosensei

nekosensei

• Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 20 October 2009 - 02:02 PM

The Trifield Natural is a wonderful piece of equipment. Look for it at around $199 new. It is uber-sensitive. If you want to buy it new, go to the source http://www.lessemf.com .You can always find them used on ebay for less. But, they are somewhat delicate and you can never be sure how they were taken care of.

I'm writing a novel for NaNoWriMo (National Novel Writing Month) in November, and I'm doing some research on EMF detectors. I'm looking at the picture of the Tri-Field EMF meter on this page (http://www.trifieldmeter.com/), and I was wondering if you know what kind of readings you would get if it did indeed pick up energy from a possible ghost. And what setting would it have to be in to pick up that reading? Sum? A simple explanation would probably be best as I'm not that good with the technical stuff.

#6 CaveRat2

CaveRat2

Village Elder

• Town Council
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,553 posts
  • Interests:Serious Research and separating the truth from the hype in the paranormal field today.

Posted 20 October 2009 - 05:01 PM

First of all, there is no evidence that a spirit in any way creates or alters an EM Field. That is pure Hollywood. So any indication you get with a meter is indicative of an EM Field, but not a ghost.

These meters are used by investigators to rule out mundane causes that could result if false positives. For instance if you detect a strong field that is precisely where NOT to place your recorder if you are doing EVPs.

Some use EMF meters, I personally don't. Instead I use two EMF monitors. First I scan using a dynamic monitor. This allows me to hear the EM Field on headphones rather than simply see a meter reading. EM Fields follow the invesrse square law of physics. That simply means that the farther you are from the source the weaker the field becomes (The exact ratio can be calculated but for illustration the exact values aren't neccessary.) Point is since we don't ordinarily know exactly where the source originates we can't know its absolute strength. It may be a weak field nearby, or a strong field originating some distance away. The meter only tells you the field it encounters, not its absolute strength.

By hearing the field you can learn some things about its characteristics. 60 Hz hum means a power line nearby, (50 in some countries), a buzz usually indicates some form of ionizing radiation like a florescent light, a whistle might be a switch mode power supply in a computer. And of course, with an RF sniffer you can hear radio waves if that is the source.

Once the scan is complete I switch to a static monitor. That simply keeps track on the baseline and alerts me if something changes. Maybe a solar flare, or radio transmitter kicks on. Anything that may cause a change in the backgrpound of the area under investigation.

So you see there is quite a bit to EMF monitoring, but it has nothing to do with detecting ghosts.

Edited by CaveRat, 20 October 2009 - 05:05 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users