• Please log in to reply
38 replies to this topic

#31 meanderer

meanderer

Villager

• PipPipPip
  • 299 posts

Posted 07 November 2008 - 09:49 AM

Meh! There's people that might attribute the building being vacant to something paranormal, rather than more common every-day occurrences. It's happened before, in Southington (the old Victorian house on Elm Street, being a fine example!), and around the world.

People will continue to think what they want to, because it's easier than to look at the facts.
Beannacht ort

#32 leonie

leonie

Village Elder

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 740 posts
  • Interests:"We keep on going because of hope. The hope that one day for one moment we'll feel the total unwavering bliss of a second of happiness."

Posted 07 November 2008 - 06:13 PM

I do think Meanderer has a point, sometimes people do form ghost stories about houses. Especially vacant ones and even more especially ex funeral homes. But you never know. some spirit might be angry that its not a funeral home anymore or something. But we wouldnt know unless we did some research on it and did an investigation for a night.

"Your just a beautiful freak, I wish there were more like you." - EelsPosted ImagePosted ImagePosted Image

#33 cheeseberger_en_paradiso

cheeseberger_en_paradiso

Junior Villager

• PipPip
  • 21 posts
  • Interests:Well, ghost-hunting of course!

Posted 09 November 2008 - 05:58 PM

I do think Meanderer has a point, sometimes people do form ghost stories about houses. Especially vacant ones and even more especially ex funeral homes. But you never know. some spirit might be angry that its not a funeral home anymore or something. But we wouldnt know unless we did some research on it and did an investigation for a night.

-True that.

The last time I went there there was a car in the driveway that night, all the lights were on and they had a cat inside. Maybe it has become vacant since? Please share the pics from your experience!

#34 bad13oy

bad13oy

Junior Villager

• PipPip
  • 14 posts

Posted 17 November 2008 - 12:29 PM

Don't know if anyone actually posted this. Only went back a couple post, but they have made another movie based on this house. This time it is a full length release and not just a documentry.

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0492044/

#35 CTguy9922

CTguy9922

• Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 01 December 2008 - 06:02 PM

Hi everyone,

I created an account to reply to this post because I live on Meriden Ave in Southington - the same street as the house in question. Some people on the board have asked for pictures and directions and such so I want to post this reply, but I apologize ahead of time if I disappoint you.

What I know are the same stories that everyone else has heard. Local newspaper articles used to be posted in the paper all the time about the house back during the "haunted" days. Neighbors would report weird things and of coarse there are the stories of the investigations. As far as I know, the activity ceased after the "exorcism" and so did the articles and stories, as far as I know nothing new happens there these days.

I do not know the family that lives there now, and I am not writing this to discourage people from going there, but I will say this to respond to certain questions people have posted: Yes it used to be a funeral home and all that, but the house is occupied by a new family now and is NOT abandoned as one reader suggested. So I wouldnt count on knocking on their door and expecting them to let you poke around their house or yard becuase you heard it was haunted on the internet. The address given by other users is correct, but please note the house is also on a main road in town which is both busy traffic-wise and in a high residential area. I have seen "A Haunting in CT" - the flyovers they show in the movie are from the actual street and nearby cemetery, but they were taken in the dead of winter with no leaves on the trees, and they are shown from angles that make the street look barren and desolate. These are camera tricks and were obviously done to heighten the scary mood of the movie - the angles of the flyovers are well calculated and the camera shots cut out right before revealing the true regularity of the area. Do not be fooled into thinking this house is in the middle of nowhere or down some creepy quiet road. It is not. Dont expect to be able to park on some dirt road in the middle of nowehere and walk to the house discretely. As I stated before its got neighbors in close proximity on all sides - so I wouldnt plan on standing in the road and taking pictures unless you want to look like a weirdo. In my opinion there is also nothing spooky about the house's exterior either - in fact the house directly next door is the exact same house design and looks identical.

Other than that its a great story, even though it is apparently not haunted anymore. I wanted to tell you the truth about the area and the house becuase like I said, the clips from the movie and the TV show hype up what is really a normal and somewhat busy area, and medium to highly populated. I encourage you to drive by it if you wish to check it out, it is cool to actually see the real house all the stories are about, but in my opinion you will be disappointed if you drive any distance.

#36 Seeker

Seeker

Village Elder

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 609 posts

Posted 01 December 2008 - 08:36 PM

"Some people on the board have asked for pictures and directions and such so I want to post this reply"

Welcome to GV!! Thanks and we very much appreciate your joining and your inside information.
Just to defend my fellow GVers against misunderstanding, someone joined GV, offered pictures and stories but never produced the goods. No one actually asked for these things. Also, the latest posts state that this story has been proven to be a hoax and that the house is occupied with no ill effects to the tenants. The majority of the posts have been a debate between a former resident of your neighborhood and another member about the validity of these claims. You may have been expecting something different based on your experience with other paranormal sites, GV is different and very special due to our members intelligence and healthy scepticism.
I hope you stick around and get to know us. You'll like it here.

Edited by Seeker, 01 December 2008 - 08:40 PM.

There is nothing left to say.Me

#37 Ct Mom

Ct Mom

• Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 03 March 2009 - 09:12 AM

After reading this I had to register to post..

I will take photo's of this house and post them as well as directions if anyone still needs them. We have been inside the house beforehand. My aunt is a mortician and knew the family who owned the funeral home for years. My grandparents had services there as they went to school with the father. Things did happen there, and they are often smudged in these movies. Why I'm not sure, I guess its to make the viewer more attentive. However the real story, I think, is horrid enough without any hollywood glitz.

The house now has had people in it but they dont stay long. Last their was a dumpster in the driveway that whomever moved out must have filled with items, it had things tumbling over the top it was so full. I pass the house frequently as their are shopping areas not far from it and my grandparents are buried in the cemetary on the road behind it.

And yes - if you'd like my aunts embalmer license number to check she truly is a mortician I can provide that too. Local families understand the true story.. and this new movie coming out seems to have embellished alot. The house dosent even LOOK anything like the real one. The real house is white, with black shutters and a garage slightly behind it on the side. The movie house is some odd victoria that's nothing like it.

Just my input. Enjoy.

#38 Ct Mom

Ct Mom

• Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 03 March 2009 - 09:38 AM

Here is a photo of the house - I didnt take it, its a google photo. It's the white house on the right.. now look at the house the new movie portrays - very different!

208 Meriden Avenue - Funeral Home

#39 MarL51

MarL51

• Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 09 March 2009 - 05:31 PM

For info on the movie "HAUNTING IN CONNECTICUT" see a post last year by the author of the book about this haunting. Here it is (or go to http://www.cinemable...icut-2882.html) .....
Ray Garton
June 21, 2008 at 18:29 My name is Ray Garton. Back in the early nineties, I wrote a book called IN A DARK PLACE: THE STORY OF A TRUE HAUNTING. It was published as "non-fiction", but that was just marketing. I went to Connecticut to meet with the family involved in the alleged haunting of their former house, which used to be a funeral home. I was never able to see the inside of the home because the people who were living there by then wanted nothing to do with the "haunting", which they said was utter nonsense. It was my job to get the family's story down on paper and into a book. I worked with the family, and with the "ghostbusters" or "demon hunters" (whatever they happened to be calling themselves at the moment), Ed and Lorraine Warren. The article above claims "the family had little involvement" in this book -- that is simply a lie. They were DIRECTLY involved with the book -- it was them, the Warrens, and myself, nobody else. I attempted to get their story. Unfortunately, the members of the family couldn't seem to keep their "facts" straight. Their individual stories simply did not fit into one smooth hole. The article above states that the book I wrote "remains a source of controversy." The only source of controversy was the family, because they just couldn't keep their stories straight. I went to Ed Warren and told him the problem. He laughed. "They're crazy!" he said. "Everybody who comes to us is crazy, otherwise why would they come to US? Just do the best you can. You write scary books, right? That's why we hired you. Use whatever you can of their story, make the rest up, and make it scary." And that's what I did. The book IN A DARK PLACE is a combination of elements of the family's story and stuff I made up -- because it was a for-hire writing job, AND THAT'S WHAT I WAS TOLD TO DO. If this family is saying they had "little involvement" in this book, then they are bald-faced liars. They were involved from beginning to end, and THEY COLLECTED THE CHECK FOR IT. They were deeply involved in IN A DARK PLACE, and they were PAID for it -- their names are on the cover of the book along with my name and Ed and Lorraine Warren. I never got to meet their allegedly ill son -- I was only allowed to speak with him briefly on the phone. Although there was much talk of his illness, it was NEVER verified for me, although he did have a drug problem. It turned out that the girls in the family who claimed to have been groped by so-called invisible, demonic hands were actually groped by HIM. The Warrens and their nephew John Zaffis claimed they had videotape that clearly showed supernatural activity inside the house, and they told me numerous times that they would SHOW me that videotape. Somehow, during our time together, they just couldn't manage to find it. Not only did I not see that footage, I never saw an actual VHS videotape at ALL. Since my experience with the Warrens and this family, I've talked to other writers who have written books for Ed and Lorraine, and they've told me THE EXACT SAME STORY. This is how the Warrens have always worked. They find a very "emotional" family with claims of some supernatural activity in their lives, convince them there's money to be made if they just shape this into a better "story" (and this family was very eager to make money -- at the time I knew them, the mother was involved in some kind of interstate lottery scam), then they hire a writer of horror fiction to write it up as a book -- "Make it scary," Ed told me -- and they've got themselves a package, a piece of merchandise that they can hawk on talk shows and that the Warrens can discuss in their VERY lucrative lectures. And perhaps they can convince someone in Hollywood to make a movie of it. Of course, in THIS case, the book I wrote has been shoved aside and isn't involved in the making of the movie THE HAUNTING IN CONNECTICUT. It will be VERY interesting to see how much of this movie contains the material that I WAS TOLD TO MAKE UP. We'll see.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users