Halloween Questions..

• Please log in to reply
31 replies to this topic

#1 GhostCat

GhostCat

Certified husband trainer....guaranteed he won't track dirt

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 885 posts
  • Interests:Travelling New England by land and sea, local history, houses - as I am a real estate appraiser, I teach Special Education too, love all the kids I work with... they teach me too, lol, and add lots of smiles to my day....my cats, my goffin cockatoo parrot that is loud, smart and talkative, walking, bicycling, skiing, ice hockey, watching the Patriots, the Bruins and the Red Sox (Woo Hoo.. Fenway Painters..My sister and brother in laws business that paint the Park and my nephew that paints the famous "green monster") lighthouses, antiques, gardening, trying new restaurants, classic movies (love Cary Grant and Alfred Hitchcock), big band music, laughing and being around others that like to laugh, ghost stories - I love to hear other peoples experiences as I have so many to tell myself.

Posted 19 October 2006 - 10:37 PM

Simply copy, add your reply and paste...

1. What was your most memorable costume for Halloween as a child?

2. Same question, but as an adult?

3. What was the best candy in your trick or treat bag?

4. And the worst ever you got in your trick or treat bag?

5. What was your most memorable Halloween?

6. What most frightened you as a child on Halloween?

7. Same Question, but as an adult?

8. What is your most favorite thing to do on/near Halloween?

9. Are you going to carve a pumpkin? What will the face look like?

10. Do you decorate your house for Halloween? What does it look like?

11. Will you watch something scary on tv/dvd/vhs for Halloween? What will you watch?
"Women and cats will do as they please, and men and dogs should relax and get used to the idea."-- Robert A. Heinlein

#2 Laurie Ann

Laurie Ann

Your imagination IS running off with you!

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,025 posts
  • Interests:I love to do yard work, re-arrange my home constantly, draw and get tattoos that have significant meaning to me, garage sales/yard sales fanatic. My home is haunted by I believe 2 spirits, so I'm never alone when everyone is asleep! I'm trying to label the gifts I have, although I try to keep them a secret from my husband..he wouldn't understand. My 20 year old is now living on his own and does so great! My 6 year old is a little me, and the baby will be 5 December. He's about 8-12 months behind, but that smile...that beautiful smile.

Posted 19 October 2006 - 10:42 PM

5. What was your most memorable Halloween? Trick-or-treating as a child in Bellevue, Mich.

6. What most frightened you as a child on Halloween? Scary movies

7. Same Question, but as an adult? Scary movies...only better

8. What is your most favorite thing to do on/near Halloween? Decorate, decorate, decorate

9. Are you going to carve a pumpkin? What will the face look like? My kids are, and does the mess count as scary?

10. Do you decorate your house for Halloween? What does it look like? Yes I do...looks pretty dang scary!

11. Will you watch something scary on tv/dvd/vhs for Halloween? What will you watch? Yes, and my son wants to watch "13 Ghosts"...I want to watch Night of the Living Dead
~Women are angels...and when someone breaks our wings, we simply continue to fly...on a broomstick. We're flexible like that.~

#3 frither

frither

Had delusions of being Superwoman

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,494 posts
  • Interests:Being the honeybabysweetiepiesoulmatebestfriendwife to Mystic Hippy, being the sister to Bear Dude, computer-generated art, reading darn near anything I can get my hands on, all aspects of the paranormal, being supportive and understanding when my husband communes with noncorporeals that I personally can't see or hear and dancing like no one else is watching.

Posted 19 October 2006 - 10:57 PM

The most memorable costume I can remember is the one when I was 7 and dressed up like Pepe LePeuw. I remember that because I won 1st. prize in the costume competition.

Uhmmmm.........plead the 5th. :hug:

CHOCOLATE!!!

Other than licorice? (which just the smell nauseates me)

I grew up in a by-gone era where is was safe for a kid to be out and about, even on Halloween night so there was nothing about Halloween that frightened me.

Knowing that the era I grew up in is a thing of the past and knowing what could happen to some kid out there now :shudders:

Pop a big old tub of popcorn, light some candles, turn down the lights and watch a bunch of campy, cheesy, b-rated horror movies.

Nahhh........Mystic Hippy detests pumpkin about as badly as I do licorice and I'm too chintzy to sacrifice something that I can't at least have more than one use for. Otherwise, I'd gut the pumpkin and use the innards to make a pie or pumpkin bread or something.

Actually, we have a few Halloween decorations that are up all year 'round. For starters, there is the nightlight in the shape of a ghost that sits on the table next to the TV, the suncatcher over the door that has a picture of a ghost and the phrase 'Happy Haunting', then of course, there's Oscar, the 6' tall all-too-realistic-looking skeleton that sits in a chair in the corner of the living room, the stuffed kitty with a witch hat that sits on my moniter............

11. Will you watch something scary on tv/dvd/vhs for Halloween? What will you watch? Watching scary movies is a Halloween tradition around here. As for which one ~ don't know yet.

#4 GhostCat

GhostCat

Certified husband trainer....guaranteed he won't track dirt

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 885 posts
  • Interests:Travelling New England by land and sea, local history, houses - as I am a real estate appraiser, I teach Special Education too, love all the kids I work with... they teach me too, lol, and add lots of smiles to my day....my cats, my goffin cockatoo parrot that is loud, smart and talkative, walking, bicycling, skiing, ice hockey, watching the Patriots, the Bruins and the Red Sox (Woo Hoo.. Fenway Painters..My sister and brother in laws business that paint the Park and my nephew that paints the famous "green monster") lighthouses, antiques, gardening, trying new restaurants, classic movies (love Cary Grant and Alfred Hitchcock), big band music, laughing and being around others that like to laugh, ghost stories - I love to hear other peoples experiences as I have so many to tell myself.

Posted 19 October 2006 - 11:12 PM

When I was in first grade, I went out as "Miss America", the store bought version, lol.

I was "Michael Myers". I scared everyone, even me when I looked in the mirror.

Only good candy was from my grandmother, luckily she lived in my neighborhood. She did a grab bag and attached a "ghost" lollipop to it.

A handful of stale shelled peanuts and I still remember the house they came from..

Hopefully it will be this year, I am doing some fun things with my friends and husband.

I was trick or treating with a friend and we were on a quiet dark road, we started to go to a house for trick or treat and there was a pile of leaves, and a faint voice was yelling "help me" from under it, we ran and did not even go to that house. Come to find out, it was a teenager that lived at that house and was under the leaves to scare kids.

I went to see a play at a dinner theatre, Dracula. Near the end of the play, all the lights went out and Dracula appeared in the audience, of course, next to me with his fangs next to my throat. That was scary.

I do fun things, haunted hay rides, haunted houses, fall festivals, pumpkin festivals, cornstalk mazes etc.

I do my famous "devil kitty" carved pumpkin every year. Big fangs, long whiskers and spooky eyes.

I'm not in an area to get trick or treaters or I would have some decorating fun. I have a ghost on my front door, cornstalks on my lamp posts, mums, pumpkins, and scarecrows all over.....that's it.

11. Will you watch something scary on tv/dvd/vhs for Halloween? What will you watch?

I always watch Halloween I, it gives me the creeps. Hoping to rent a new scary movie to watch even if it is bad.
"Women and cats will do as they please, and men and dogs should relax and get used to the idea."-- Robert A. Heinlein

#5 Vivienne_DuBois

Vivienne_DuBois

Village Elder

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 625 posts

Posted 20 October 2006 - 07:32 AM

Great topic. :hug:

I once saw a picture of myself dressed up like a ballerina – I must have been 8 or 9. I looked very angry in that picture (didn’t like being dressed up and having my picture taken, evidently).

I’ve never dressed up as an adult...but, when I was about 16, I remember I worked for a store where every employee was to dress up if they worked on Halloween. So, I dressed up like Boy George (using my “Colour By Numbers” album as a guide). People seemed to get a kick out of it. ;)

I can’t remember.

Can’t remember.

The only one I can actually recall is the Halloween when I was 7 that fell on the day my family moved to a new house.

Hmm....another blank...

Well, around Halloween a few years, ago, I received my cat Freud from my boss. She had rescued Freud saying that because of his unique markings (he has a “bullseye” marking on each side of his tummy) she was afraid he might be shot by some kids on Halloween. So, I always remember that – being afraid of bad kids being out on Halloween who might target these homeless cats/other animals (although, I know this goes on all throughout the year). That bothers me a great deal. I always look at Freud on Halloween and thank God for him.

I really don’t celebrate Halloween, but Autumn, in general, does make me want to get out in the woods, nature, etc. and walk around and enjoy the cooling weather and the smells in the air (the smell of burning leaves is wonderful).

No, no pumpkins.

No decorations, either. I feel no reason to decorate until I find a place where I’ll be permanently (too, I don’t have children, nor want children, and I always think of holidays as being child-centered – if I had kids around, I’m sure I’d decorate up a storm). My aunt did bring me a present, though: a bag of Indian corn – so, I’ll find a nice place to hang those for the season. :)

Something scary? I will probably watch “The Uninvited” this year – a great, classic scary movie.

:)

Viv

Edited by Vivienne_DuBois, 20 October 2006 - 07:34 AM.

#6 Mrs. Bryan

Mrs. Bryan

Villager

• PipPipPip
  • 150 posts

Posted 20 October 2006 - 09:43 PM

1. What was your most memorable costume for Halloween as a child? French Maid

2. Same question, but as an adult? 1800's Lady

3. What was the best candy in your trick or treat bag? Nestle's Crunch

4. And the worst ever you got in your trick or treat bag? Apples

5. What was your most memorable Halloween? None.

6. What most frightened you as a child on Halloween? My Cousin chasing me around in his Grim Reaper/Scream Movie Costume.

7. Same Question, but as an adult? Nothing

8. What is your most favorite thing to do on/near Halloween? Decorate!

9. Are you going to carve a pumpkin? What will the face look like? Yes! That is Tradition! Probably by a Patern from a Book on those.

10. Do you decorate your house for Halloween? What does it look like? Yes! We do - EVERY Year! It is a Really Spooky and Fun place to be! We have EVERYTHING and put on a Lights and Animatronics Show.

11. Will you watch something scary on tv/dvd/vhs for Halloween? What will you watch? No. Not much for Scary Movies - Don't much care for Blood and Guts (Bad Recurrence of Past Life Memories).

#7 Ambra

Ambra

Should not travel without a map

• PipPipPip
  • 219 posts
  • Interests:Ghosts, of course, reading, arts and crafts, particularly cross-stitch, movies.

Posted 22 October 2006 - 12:26 AM

The only costume I really remember as a child was a clown. I was probably 2 or 3 and the costume consisted of a onsie which doubled as PJs with a picture of a clown on it and a plastic mask. The only reason I remember it is because they ended up being my favorite PJs and I practiacally wore them out!

I went twice as Mimi from "The Drew Carey Show".

Anything chocolate

a pack of gum

I went to a party in college and a friend of mine, Teddy, came in drag, and I don't mean "Let's look like a guy dressed as a woman" but professional drag and he was gorgeous! I was so jealous because he looked better as a woman than I did!

I remember being petrified that I'd get something that had been poisoned or tampered with, the old "Razorblade in the apple" thing.

How many kids are out without any kind of reflective gear on and they get so excited they just run across the street without even looking!

Decorate the outside of my apartment.

No. Don't really have anywhere to put it.

Yes. See my thread on Halloween decorations for pics.

Yes. I'll be watching "Slither" and possibly "Dawn of the Dead" (2004). I have to work unitl 11pm so 2 movies will probably be all I can fit in.
I got smacked by aloha spirit!Posted Image

#8 erna_butter

erna_butter

weird ancient from the medieval times

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 627 posts
  • Interests:Art (any kind), computers, paranormal, forensics, psychology, and of course fantasy books, and history.

Posted 22 October 2006 - 10:44 AM

1. What was your most memorable costume for Halloween as a child? Vampire, I always loved the idea of being able to live forever and I have always been a nightowl.

2. Same question, but as an adult? last years costume, I was one of the three furies lol with my 2 sisters in law

3. What was the best candy in your trick or treat bag? rockets, those things are awesome.

4. And the worst ever you got in your trick or treat bag? apple

5. What was your most memorable Halloween? my nephews first hallowe`en, we had to coax him to go out cause he didn`t want to and then when he went door to door he was too annoyed to go oup to the doors so I had to, I alos bought him 10 $$ worth of candy at the corner dep just so he had more candy in his bag lol.

6. What most frightened you as a child on Halloween? the music some people used to play on their stereos, you know the spooky screaming music lol.

7. Same Question, but as an adult? not scared so mush as startled, when people come out of nowehere amd grab you lol.

8. What is your most favorite thing to do on/near Halloween? getting dressed and looking at all the different costumes kids are wearing .

9. Are you going to carve a pumpkin? What will the face look like? yes, and I want the face to have a creepy smile.

10. Do you decorate your house for Halloween? What does it look like? no, I never get the chance to..but I am hoping so for next year

11. Will you watch something scary on tv/dvd/vhs for Halloween? What will you watch? no, I am too busy out for the whole night.
[font=Book Antiqua]
Posted Image I A.M CANADIAN

#9 LycanGhost

LycanGhost

Senior Villager

• PipPipPipPip
  • 351 posts
  • Interests:Knitting and crocheting, scrapbooking, reading, listening to music and singing

Posted 22 October 2006 - 04:09 PM

The Pink Ranger from the original Power Rangers TV series. Have a pic my old neighbor took of that somewhere...

2. Same question, but as an adult? Death's minion. Costume involved a skull mask, black Robe and plastic sword

3. What was the best candy in your trick or treat bag? Any kind of Reese's!!!!

4. And the worst ever you got in your trick or treat bag? Heath bars and pretzels...

5. What was your most memorable Halloween? Anything that involved scaring the bejeebers outta little kids!!!!!

6. What most frightened you as a child on Halloween? Really outright scary clown masks...

7. Same Question, but as an adult? See 6.

8. What is your most favorite thing to do on/near Halloween? I usually start planning in september, then get the costume together in october.

9. Are you going to carve a pumpkin? What will the face look like? Nope.

10. Do you decorate your house for Halloween? What does it look like? Considering we're still settling in this year, no, but next year, possibly. :hug:

11. Will you watch something scary on tv/dvd/vhs for Halloween? What will you watch? No, not really since I'll be out scaring little kids and trick or treating, then visiting a cemetary near where I live. Provided I can sneak in w/out the cops noticing. And nope, not gonna be causing mischief... Just going in to check it out. Yes, I'm adventurous in a weird way. :wow:

Posted Image

Cry Havoc! And let loose the Dobermans of war!

My knitting and crocheting blog.

Life is too short to take seriously, none of us get out of it alive.

Each morning when I open my eyes I say to myself: I, not events, have the power to make me happy or unhappy today. I can choose which it shall be.Yesterday is dead, tomorrow hasn't arrived yet. I have just one day, today, and I'm going to be happy in it.

http://www.nomorerack.com/?cr=9281971

#10 autumnbelle

autumnbelle

Village Elder

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 513 posts
  • Interests:Am curious about almost anything . . .

Posted 25 October 2006 - 09:59 PM

Hee hee -- Tweety Bird -- but midway through trick-or-treating, I lost my mask and my mom was good enough to stop and get a new one for me, but they didn't have any more Tweety Bird masks -- only green scary witch masks, so I was a possessed parakeet at age three :ghost:

My Queen of Halloween costume - involves black dress, cat ears and an orange feather boa

I usually preferred gum and Skittles and all those

Empty wrappers

There have been a few -- last year's was probably the most fun in a while, but I've had several great ones

Everything - I was (and am) a chicken

Ditto

Watch scary movies and dress up - they're tied

Am planning on doing a couple very traditional triangle eyed jack-o-lanterns

Oh boy don't we. I'll put up some pictures soon - we perhaps go overboard a little :weeee:

My favourite Halloween movie to watch on Halloween night is Halloween - but we'll be watching as much as possible between now and then -- lots of documentaries

Eat, drink and be scary. ~Author Unknown

#11 Redhead

Redhead

Village Elder

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,196 posts
  • Interests:Needlework, including counted cross stitch and knitting, reading, dogs, triking (trikes are three wheeled motorcycled if you didn't know) and flower gardening. That is besides the paranormal...

Posted 27 October 2006 - 12:40 PM

I remember a cinderella costume my mother made. Well actually she made all our costumes. I was also a flaminco dancer, red dress with lots of flounces on the skirt, an old black wig from an aunt, lots of red lipstick and a plastic rose behind my ear.

I went as Elvira one year

I lived in a rural area, between two 'wide spot in the road' type towns. One had a tavern that we would go in. Mr. Sonsalla would put a bottle of pop (remember those 16 ozers in glass bottles you could return for three cents?), a full size candy bar and a package of gum in a brown sack - the kind you put a booze bottle in. He had them all lined up on the bar. Mrs. Sonsalla would come out from the kitchen and admire you - give you a kiss, etc. Then all the old guys in the tavern would give you a nickel or dime. Then, of course, who could resist those homemade popcorn balls/cookies, or apples picked from their own trees?

Never had a bad treat - rural people back then were the best, most generous and fun people.

About 15 years ago, my stepdaughter called to ask if she could come over to help hand out candy. I said sure. It was about 3:00 and starting to rain. By the time she got there, it had changed to snow. Wet, sloppy stuff that I knew would freeze soon, so I rushed out to get ice-melt on the walk-way. We did have a good crowd of trick-or-treaters that year in spite of the snow, but it never stopped snowing until late the next day - to the tune of 24 inches of snow. And it never went away - no Indian Summer that year!

Nothing. Like Frither, I grew up in a time when Halloween was supposed to be a fun time for children and adults went out of their way to enjoy the kids having fun.

Nothing, really. All those stories about razors in apples, drugged candy? Urban legends, all. A few years ago, an AP reporter spent several months researching reports of this type of occurance, contacting hospitals and police agencies all over the country. There has never been a reported case of this. Not that some boob won't try it in the future, but I don't worry about those things that might or might not happen.

I love to drive to the apple orchards for fruit and punkins. I love to hand out candy to the kids and milk bones to the dogs that come along with the family. I even enjoy the kids who are too big to trick or treat but come out late hoping you might get rid of the extra candy for them.

I probably will do two -one for us and one for the folks. I do the Pumpkin Masters patterns, so what ever is left over from last year that doesn't look too hard will do. Last year I did spooky trees and vampira. Frither, I wash and roast the punkin seeds for a nummy snack...

I have vinyl clings in the two front windows of the porch, and two huge jackolantern posters (plastic, light shines thro) on each end window of that porch. I have a glow in the dark skeleton head and two hands in one side garden - his eyes light up. I have a small light up ghost on a stake in the other side. I used to have a little fabric ghost that was motion activated - would make spookey sounds and wobble, but I can't find him anywhere!

I always love to watch those old Hammer films from England - Peter Cushing, Christopher Lee. Last year no one showed them, so I am keeping my fingers crossed this year.
"Never wrestle with a pig. All you get is dirty and the pig has all the fun." ~ Anon.

#12 spooksareus

spooksareus

Graceful leader of men who harvests wheat

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,003 posts
  • Interests:Healthy friends, supernatural science (oxy morans, lol!), cooking & baking, all animals, playing music (mostly jazz), art (all mediums), interesting & open minded people, truth, justice and liberal politics...

Posted 27 October 2006 - 01:33 PM

Road kill

lizzy borden

Dove dark choc.

last years stale candy!

Cant' remember...oh yes, my wedding day!

Nothing, I'm fearless (just ask me)

Ditto

Watch scary movies and drink champagne in a bubble bath w/ my hubby! (it's our wedding anniversary)

The Bush admin :Spaz: Very scary!

A witch hit it at a high rate of speed :Spaz:

Nope, I'll be hiding in the bushes and scarring little children for life! I'll be watching their reaction...

Edited by spooksareus, 27 October 2006 - 01:35 PM.

"It is perfectly monstrous the way people go about, nowadays, saying things against one behind one's back that are absolutely and entirely true." -Oscar Wilde “The Picture of Dorian Gray”

#13 aloha_spirit

aloha_spirit

I'm 100% Poi Dog!

• Town Council
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,534 posts
  • Interests:Computer Programming, Books, Movies, Nature, Religion.

Posted 11 October 2007 - 01:32 PM

Posted Image Bumping for Halloween 2007 Posted Image

I didn't lose my mind - I have it backed up on a disk ... somewhere

#14 Pfled

Pfled

Senior Villager

• PipPipPipPip
  • 333 posts
  • Interests:1. Making my son smile<br />2. Investigating and researching places of alleged paranormal activity<br />3. Hiking<br />4. Cooking

Posted 11 October 2007 - 02:29 PM

Simply copy, add your reply and paste...

A little TMI here but my mother used to have a monks cloak, I would were that and put some of her Queen Helene mint julip face masque on and go as a cloaked demon.

Drew Carey ( I work in HR, I had a wiffle, and yes I am fond of Beer)

100 Grands

Stickers

8th grade when my buds came over to my neighborhood. We were all dressed like burglers and we would "hold up" people for their candy.

The nuns from the cemetery across the street would come get me.

The nuns would find out I moved and come get me. (Did I mention they were zombie nuns?)

Hike, Autumn in New England is my favorite time of year!

Yes, Goofy

A Little but, we had a scarecrow and some harvest wreaths, but nothing too scary. We don't get many trick or treaters and the ones we do get are very young, so I don't want to scare them away, but someday I will.

Probably the GhostHunters Halloween Special

"So even if you can't see it, you can still believe in it.It's easier if you lose all the things that prevent you from seeing it."-The Resistance by the Sam Roberts Band

#15 Shawn333

Shawn333

Village Elder

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 684 posts

Posted 11 October 2007 - 07:08 PM

Spiderman. I wore that costume pretty much all year long. If I could find one in my current size I'd probably be wearing it right now.

The only time I wore a costume as an adult was when I worked at a group home for MRDD residents and everyone had to. So I made the most of it with a very expensive Darth Vader costume. I even got one of those lightsabers that light up and make sound effects. I was dating my boss at the time so I got to jab her with the lightsaber all day long at work. What guy wouldn't want to dress like Darth Vader and poke his girlfriend with a lightsaber!?

Snickers bars!

a few pennies....if I wasn't 4 years old I would've slapped that stingy....well you get the idea.

The one when I was 16 and went to a bunch of supposedly haunted spots with a group of friends.

I was always afraid my mom would make me ration out the candy a little bit each day instead of just eating the whole bag in one night. Unfortunately my fears always came true.

I'm afraid I'll run out of candy to pass out and be beaten by a group of angry little children.

See my nephews' costumes.

I might carve one with the nephews. I'm not sure what it will look like, I just wing those things.

Nope...my sister goes crazy with decorations though, but she also has kids.

That's possible....not sure yet.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users