Devils Hopyard, CT

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 Peter Venkman

Peter Venkman

• Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 24 October 2006 - 03:09 PM

The name has always intrigued me,pretty scary sounding, I have been there on a couple occassions to check out the falls, but recently I have read that there have been incidents there in the past. The description of these incidents are real vague, when doing a search I have only come across 2 bits of info, 1 is a shadowlands sentence

Have been numerous reports of strange sightings and occurrences over the years. Many locals have seen and heard apparitions.

that has been cut and pasted a thousand times all over the net and a story from the Hartford Courant. Devils Hopyard encounter The story is real strange , not because of the ghost sighting, but rather because they were all in Ninja suits ;)

Does anyone have any more info? I can't seem to find any info on these numerous strange sightings. Thank you for any info.

#2 shadowdancer

shadowdancer

Junior Villager

• PipPip
  • 11 posts
  • Interests:I have always been fascinated by what most people can not believe or imagine.Ever since i was 5,I have seen and known that there are things that can't be scientifically explained or understood.Theres power in words,and theres a life essence to everything.<br />In my life first is God.And its because of my belief in the powers of God that i also believe there are other forces and powers among us.<br />Walk in the light and in prayer.<br />Shadowdancer

Posted 25 October 2006 - 08:56 AM

My grandmother used to speak of the Devils Hopyard when i was growning up.She had always lived in Yalesville/Meriden,and Wallingford areas.She told me you never go in there because you'd never come back out and that people had seen things and gone mad that did.But i never found much to support that either.It would be interesting to know if anyone knows where to obtain more info.

#3 Peter Venkman

Peter Venkman

• Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 25 October 2006 - 04:11 PM

thanks for the reply shadowdancer,interesting stuff, since your grandmother was from the Meriden area, I wonder what she would have to say about the Black Dog at Hanging HillsBlackdog The Devils Hopyard trails are kinda eerie, they give me a similar feeling to that of Chatfield hollow. The interesting thing I have read on Chatfield Hollow is local witches back in the 1930's used to play tricks on the Civilian Conservation Corps when they were building the park. Making noises, taking tools,etc .I could see how that could be real scary since the park is in between 2 high rock formations, walking around below would definately give the feeling of being watched.

#4 shadowdancer

shadowdancer

Junior Villager

• PipPip
  • 11 posts
  • Interests:I have always been fascinated by what most people can not believe or imagine.Ever since i was 5,I have seen and known that there are things that can't be scientifically explained or understood.Theres power in words,and theres a life essence to everything.<br />In my life first is God.And its because of my belief in the powers of God that i also believe there are other forces and powers among us.<br />Walk in the light and in prayer.<br />Shadowdancer

Posted 27 October 2006 - 10:32 AM

My grandmother used to speak of the Devils Hopyard when i was growning up.She had always lived in Yalesville/Meriden,and Wallingford areas.She told me you never go in there because you'd never come back out and that people had seen things and gone mad that did.But i never found much to support that either.It would be interesting to know if anyone knows where to obtain more info.

The Black dog was something that she strongly believed in.I had heard from her many years ago that Hanging Hills wasn't the only area that a black dog ghost had been seen.
Of course i also had gone with my Grandmother many times to Lymans Orchard and the older fellows that (and ladies) would also talk about Green Lady cemetary,Dudley Town and Old mans Mountain.Alot of the old haunts in Connecticut.But the bigest part of their conversation seemed to revolve around the Black dog.
I even remember newspaper articles about it.I have heard the dog stays close to the area of Castle Craig.
But suppossed reports of other Black dogs have surfaced in other Conn towns.I haven't checked into that but maybe sometime i will have to check it out.
Shadowdancer

#5 RowanG

RowanG

Senior Villager

• PipPipPipPip
  • 343 posts

Posted 05 November 2006 - 02:43 PM

I would strongly recommend doing the old fashioned library research as that's where you're probably going to find most information. People want to rely too much on the Internet and then are critical of what is there because they think the people giving the information aren't authorities.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users