Poppet's Way*Must Read*

• Please log in to reply
44 replies to this topic

#31 meadowone

meadowone

• Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 06 September 2009 - 11:58 PM

As I was researching I found this site. I just want to say there is more than meets the eye on the street "poppets way". I use to work as a medic in the area for many years with Crosby Vol. Although they may not admit it, but the ambulance station in Crosby as well has its issues. It sits back to back with the east end of poppets way with only the woods seperating them (about 2 acres?). The road they built to allow the ambulance to get onto to 2100 dead ends into the woods and will eventually connect with poppets way to make another entrance into Newport. I saw the county map when the station was built in 1997 and it was tittled by the county as the Jackson Bayou Plat with the former black hope cemetery referrenced on it. I can tell you first hand whatever goes on there leaks over into that ambulance station. I witnessed things that former chief whould explain as "bad electrical systems". Things like the TV coming off and on the doors lifting without being triggered. It would take an expert to prove because these things are done on remote control. All the medics had experiences and the feeling of being watched is intense. I know the local newpaper The Star Courrier did a halloween story on it in October 2002. I can verify the former patrol officers previous remarks that we emergency systems make unfounded calls routinely from end of poppets way as well as the shooting. I also heard (in Crosby rumors are everywhere) that the had alot of trouble when they tried to extend/build onto that station last year. One person commented to me that it was like something was constantly disrupting the place. Either way I once worked with a paramedic there who said one night while sleeping in the attic a dark shadow took a "swipe" at her. She still works there and still talks about it. On a seperate occasion another medic reported it sat on the bed. I always thought it was creepy that they used to sleep in the attic. I do think there is unrested spirit due to that cemetery. I believe a town as old as Crosby (once called lick skillet texas) has many imprints of the past seeking peace.

#32 PoppetsWayResident

PoppetsWayResident

• Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 26 September 2009 - 04:35 PM

I have lived on Poppets Way for 12 years now. I have seen the movie and read the book as well as most of my neighbors since we live in section 8 where the story was derived from. I live just a couple of houses away from the first home that was built in our section, which is the home that the author of the book "Black Hope Horror" lived in. I find it interesting and it's fun to think about and talk about but in the 12 years I've lived here not ONE thing has ever occured. We have been all through the woods at the end of the street many, many times as my husband loves to take our dogs exploring back there and have never seen (or heard) anything. We also know all of our neighbors very well and despite the stories that people have posted that the houses are always sold or foreclosed, that is simply not true. Most of the residents on the "haunted" end of our street have lived here for many years (most longer than I) and we know them all pretty well concidering they have been ourneighbors for so many years and all of our children play together. The only moving in and out on a fairly frequent basis are the couple of rent houses on the street. So, although it's fun to research and read stories, and the idea is interesting to entertain, there is no paranormal activity or hauntings that are taking place.

I can't account for what happened YEARS ago when the book was written, but no one I know that lives on our street has ever encountered anything out of the ordinary. The story is that the original home owners found out about the neighborhood being built on a old black graveyard (which is true) and decided they wanted out of their homes since the developer did not disclose this information prior to their buying their houses. They then said there were hauntings that occured and played the movie "Amityille Horror" in the court room as an example of the things they were encountering to try to get out of their mortgages. True or not, I can't say. But I can tell you there is no current activity. FYI, there is often confusion/rhumor that the movie "Amityville Horror" was fillmed on our street, but this is due to the homeowners playing the movie in the court room during the case against the developers.

With that said, due to the stories out there, our street is the BEST place to trick or treat on Halloween. Some years cops actually come to direct traffic due to the massive amounts of people that come to trick or treat on the "haunted street".

#33 PoppetsWayResident

PoppetsWayResident

• Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 26 September 2009 - 04:55 PM

By the way, the home where the author of the book used to live where the tree's supposedly had carvings in them to mark graves now has a swimming pool where those trees used to be. There were no bodies found during the excavation process.

Not trying to be a bummer but I researched all of this when I first moved here and heard the stories. Just stating my findings since so many are interested in researching the same.

#34 NotTooFar936

NotTooFar936

• Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 06 October 2009 - 04:41 PM

15802 Poppets Court is the house with the graves found behind it (Haney). 803 Poppets Way is the house of the folks that wrote the book (Williams). 'Black Hope' is annotated on Poppet's Way on the Harris County Appraisal Districts website. Just some info, nothing more.

#35 Poppetsway

Poppetsway

• Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 12 July 2010 - 09:47 PM

Glad I found this site. My husband, daughter and I moved into the house at 15802 Poppets Court after the Haney's moved out. We were told by the real estate agent about the graves prior to moving in. We lived there when the movie came out and were driven crazy by the looky loos. People constantly knocked on the door wanting to see the marks on the trees. In the three years we lived there nothing paranomal ever happened. My daughter and her friends would camp out on the trampoline, swim in the pool till all hours of the night and were never afraid. The scariest things were the nutties who kept trying to scale the privacy fence to get a look. Yes, there were marks on the trees and there were two rectangular spots in the back yard that continued to sink but we were respectful of those areas. The family that moved into the Williams house (the Williams wrote the book) had twin girls that were friends of my daughters and they also never experienced anything weird. We enjoyed the home and were sad when my husband was transferred and we had to leave. Years later we drove by the home and it was somewhat dismal looking very unlike the beautiful home and lawn we enjoyed. If given the opportunity we would move back to the same area, lovely piece of Texas :kitty:

#36 petunia4998

petunia4998

Village Elder

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,533 posts

Posted 13 July 2010 - 01:45 PM

Thank you for your info poppetsway. I found it very interesting and informative. Since you have firsthand knowledge of the situation, I can only believe you.

I first got info about the Black Hope curse from Unsolved Mysteries and I realize that they have to make the story interesting, not entirely true.

I am sorry that the Haneys had a hard time of it and I hope they are doing better now. :)
petunia4998

#37 Markway

Markway

Can dowse the moon everytime that it's full!

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 794 posts
  • Interests:Para normal activity of all kinds, but especially the why of where. Bad things happen everywhere, but why is THIS place haunted, charged, etc.? Intelligent exchange of ideas, sharing of experiences and and putting various talents to work on a single problem. High strangeness of all kinds.

Posted 20 July 2010 - 02:24 AM

im originally from bryan college station Texas but im living in BayTown Texas right now

Okay I am not sure but isn't Poppet's way the area that is north of Houston and was a big subdivision that was built on top of an old freed slave cementary but the new home owners were never told that information. There is a movie that is like the Lifetime movie type format about the story and of course the movie Poltergeist was based upon the story of Poppet's Way. If I am wrong please someone let me know but I think that I am right. By the way, the movie Poltergeist was and still is in my opinion one of the scariest movies ever, I could never watch static on a T.V. after that movie again.

One of the scariest, but the most genuine and scariest IMHO is stilll the original "The Haunting" with Julie Harris.
Take this kiss upon the brow!
And, in parting from you now,
This much let me avow---
You are not wrong, who deem
That my days have been a dream:
Yet if hope has flown away In a night,
Or in a day, In a vision, or in none,
Is it therefore the less gone?
All that we see or seem
Is but a dream within a dream.

#38 Vampchick21

Vampchick21

Looks Irish, loves Italian food, lives in Canada....must be lost

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,995 posts
  • Interests:knitting, crocheting, writing, cats, paranormal phenomena, cryptzoology, Monty Python

Posted 20 July 2010 - 09:35 AM

This thread is not for the discussion of what is the scariest movie. We have a forum for such discussions, Haunted Places is not it.

Krafted with luv

by monsters

#39 angelbegin

angelbegin

• Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 24 July 2010 - 03:04 PM

When I was little, around six or seven, we would often stay with a distant aunt there on our way to Galveston. It was years later and probably two viewings of the movie before I realized it was that area where my aunt lived. I don't remember anything strange happening while we were there, just that it was a quiet, pretty area. I haven't had contact with my family for years or I'd try to get more info from them, like the exact address. I do remember it was one of the few places I felt safe sleeping in the dark, which is unusual as I've always been afraid of it and even now need a night light, lol. I was watching one of the A&E home flipping shows last year where two guys bought one of the houses there and remodeled it for sale. They had some mishaps but I think it was more inexperience than ghostly. One day I'd like to go back as I am an East Texas girl, but it will probably be a while still.

#40 TheZombieBlonde

TheZombieBlonde

• Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 28 September 2010 - 01:12 PM

I live in Crosby, Tx and I'd like to clear a few things up. Firstly, Poltergeist was NOT based on the house on Poppets Way. Common (very common) misconception. The house did spawn a book and a made-for-tv movie of the same title: The Black Hope Horror.
Secondly, the subdivision is called Newport and ALL of it is haunted....The house on Poppets Way is just the most popular because of the court cases between the first owners and the developers of Newport.

If there is anymore information you would like me to explicate, let me know. I have a Honors Thesis on the subject.

#41 Poppetsway

Poppetsway

• Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 29 September 2010 - 07:13 PM

CBS movie was titled "Legacy of Hilltop Drive". Starred Patty Duke and David Selsby. I remember writing a letter to Ms Duke when the movie came out after the "horror" of the local news and lookie loos descended on our house at 15802 Poppets Court. I asked her to do more research in future roles so families would not be impacted like ours was. She did respond with a "canned" letter which I still have.

#42 Oiche

Oiche

Senior Villager

• PipPipPipPip
  • 373 posts
  • Interests:way too many to mention, but to paraphrase:<br />Animals<br />Photography<br />Literature<br />writing<br />Paranormal research<br />Psychology<br />Sociology<br />Anthropology<br />Travel<br />Yoga<br />Cooking

Posted 30 September 2010 - 12:33 AM

How chilling...I know of a town in Minn where almost the same thing happened, they discovered iron ore in a really old cemetary (late 1800's), stones were moved but not all of the bodies
Posted ImageThank you for not feeding the trolls

#43 ExNewportResident

ExNewportResident

• Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 21 October 2010 - 12:05 PM

I lived in Newport for about 8 years. The house we bought definitely had paranormal activity, although, I never felt like it was out to harm us. I didnt believe in such things until I lived in that house. My husband would often work out of town alot leaving me and the children for days or weeks at a time. There were always things moved out of the spot they were left in, or things being moved from a spot only to show back up (in the same spot) days later. On the nights the kids and I were in the house alone, after they were asleep, just as I was settling in bed to watch tv, one by one, all the external doors to the house would slam shut. (It wasnt just a sound, each door had a distinct sound it made as you closed it. After a few years, I felt as if someone was making sure the doors were shut and locked for the night.) I had a new baby while living in the house. As he grew and began to walk and talk, he would frequently ask me who the man was that was sitting on the couch or standing in the hallway. He would also become very freaked out as he would sit in the livingroom to play with his toys and his toys would start going off or moving by themselves. Still to this day, I dont think it was out to harm us, only interact.

#44 LWhitman

LWhitman

• Pip
  • 7 posts

Posted 23 October 2010 - 03:24 PM

My family and I just recently moved to Newport. My fiance knew ahead of time of the claims of paranormal activity in the neighborhood but never really looked into the details of it. We're renting a house on the main road (Port O' Call) and have been here a month and a half. Just 2 days ago we started seeing some unexplained phenomena in the house: a dark figure hovering over a sleeping family member, orbs. I do not believe in ghosts, but I can vouch for a fact that there's something going on at my house I can't explain. I began researching Newport hauntings today and everything seems to focus on Poppet's Way, which is almost a mile and a half away from our house. If anyone has any information on claims throughout the neighborhood I'd be pleased as punch to hear them!

#45 NewportEquinox

NewportEquinox

• Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 01 December 2010 - 02:05 PM

I've lived in Newport for 10 years now. I'm about 7 blocks away from Poppets Way and we have never had anything I would describe as truly "frightening" happen at our house, but we have experienced unexplained noises and occasionally, I will get a sense of someone watching me. I've narrowed that feeling down to my oldest sons room. He does not live with us, so I know it isn't him giving me the creepy feeling! LOL! The feeling is strong enough sometimes that I beg my husband not to leave me alone in the morning when we're getting ready for work and I will make him stay with me until I am ready to leave. The only thing that I would put on a level of true scariness is this one incident. I was walking past our front doors (we have double wooden doors) and the hair on my arms and neck just stood straight up. I called to my husband and asked him to open the front door and see if there was something outside. I had a vision of something on the other side of the door, but I can't really explain what the vision was. It was just a dark figure, but to try and describe anything more than that would be difficult. When he opened the door, the leaves on the front porch were settling back to the ground like they had been stirred up and the wind was not blowing. That was the only time that I have ever been scared in that house. The feeling of being watched creeps me out a little, but does not scare me.

IDK... as far as I'm concerned, Black Hope Cemetery is the only known and proven cemetery out there. However, the area was a main route for rail lines being built between Beaumont and Houston back in the 1800's and early 1900's. Alot of deaths occurred during construction of the rails and people were buried in unmarked graves. Newport sits yards away from the railroad and it's possible that there are unknown gravesites all over the place. I do know that there has also been mention of an Indian burial ground closer towards the river and lake in the back of the neighborhood.

Rather the neighborhood is truly haunted or not remains a mystery, but there are people who swear that their experiences in Newport are like nothing they've ever encountered before they got there or after they left.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users