Man...that felt good!

• Please log in to reply
24 replies to this topic

#1 ShadowStorm

ShadowStorm

Senior Villager

• PipPipPipPip
  • 304 posts
  • Interests:comparative religions, paganism, the occult, the paranormal, my cats and dogs.

Posted 09 November 2006 - 01:23 PM

I went a bit nutz after a minor upset with the husband yesterday.

And decided that I don't need a man to help me with anything. Especially when he'll "do it later".

The full story is on my Live Journal.

Anyway....I went an bought 20 litres of forest green paint, and proceeded to paint my property walls green. 1058 meters squared....6ft hight.

I'm about half way, and WOOT! It looks good if I say so myself!!

I had my mom and aunt for company.

Here are the before and after photos:

Posted Image

Posted Image

Not bad eh?

Just a pity every bone in my body is aching!

But it's a good ache.

And oh hellz...was the husband shocked when he got home!

Take that....Mr. "You need me for everything!"
Posted ImageIn Shadows and StormsShadowStorm

#2 rat girl

rat girl

Iron Strangler that feasts on beer!

• PipPipPipPip
  • 436 posts
  • Interests:my interests are reading, anything on the paranormal - checking out other peoples ghost photos and watching horror movie, reading anything by Richard Laymon, i like photoshop and other photograph program's. I live in Scotland with my partner, we have a mini zoo in our house. At the moment we have 4 rats, unfortunately 8 of our ratties have passed away, we also have 2 guinea pigs, a rabbit, a corn snake, a bearded dragon and 2 degus!!

Posted 09 November 2006 - 02:02 PM

hi there shadowstorm!!

i laughed out load when i rad what you had wrote - i know so well what you mean. i remember one time i was wanting to move a really big heavy wardrobe from our bedroom to the room next door, i said to my partner "will you give me a hand to move it" all i got was the normal "yes, yes in a minute". so i said okay "i'll move it myself then"! to that he said to me "you will never move that on your own!" with that he went down the stairs.
so i thought im gonna move this on my own - i dont need his help!
now, im only 5 feet tall and this wardrobe was big and heavy but i was determined to move it and prove him wrong! it took me a while but i eventually moved it and the look on my partners face was priceless!!!

it was well worth it!!!

by the way you have done well painting your fence - it looks really brilliant!!!! WELL DONE!! :explode:
Posted Image

#3 Willow

Willow

A sweet kindhearted person, who would dish dirt on her?

• Town Council
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,572 posts

Posted 09 November 2006 - 02:48 PM

That looks fantastic Shadow :clap:

Take it from one Do it yourself'r girl, we dont need to wait around for the men folk to finally get around to doing things we do just as good as job if better ;) Gorgeous pool btw!
Either write things worth reading, Or do things worth the writing. Posted Image

#4 Laurie Ann

Laurie Ann

Your imagination IS running off with you!

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,025 posts
  • Interests:I love to do yard work, re-arrange my home constantly, draw and get tattoos that have significant meaning to me, garage sales/yard sales fanatic. My home is haunted by I believe 2 spirits, so I'm never alone when everyone is asleep! I'm trying to label the gifts I have, although I try to keep them a secret from my husband..he wouldn't understand. My 20 year old is now living on his own and does so great! My 6 year old is a little me, and the baby will be 5 December. He's about 8-12 months behind, but that smile...that beautiful smile.

Posted 09 November 2006 - 02:52 PM

:clap: WOW!!! That looks so nice- what a great job!!! Ya know what...my tool box is bigger than my husbands! LOL!!! Good job, Shadow!!!!
~Women are angels...and when someone breaks our wings, we simply continue to fly...on a broomstick. We're flexible like that.~

#5 ShadowStorm

ShadowStorm

Senior Villager

• PipPipPipPip
  • 304 posts
  • Interests:comparative religions, paganism, the occult, the paranormal, my cats and dogs.

Posted 09 November 2006 - 06:21 PM

Thanks ladies.

I love my pool. I love my house.

Honestly....that man makes me SO mad some days.....sheesh.

When you're mad enough, and determined enough......you can do anything.

I am SO done waiting for things to get done.

Next up.....I'm going to build my faux well in the front garden and turn it into a fountain. I have it all planned!!!

First....I have to do the other half of the walls though!

*grins*

:Spaz:

#6 frither

frither

Had delusions of being Superwoman

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,494 posts
  • Interests:Being the honeybabysweetiepiesoulmatebestfriendwife to Mystic Hippy, being the sister to Bear Dude, computer-generated art, reading darn near anything I can get my hands on, all aspects of the paranormal, being supportive and understanding when my husband communes with noncorporeals that I personally can't see or hear and dancing like no one else is watching.

Posted 09 November 2006 - 08:04 PM

:Spaz: Whooohooo! Go Shadow, Go Shadow!! I was blessed to grow up with strong, independent women as role models and was taught from day 1 that gender has no bearing on your abilities. A story that I love to tell is that on my mother's 70th. birthday, I had tried all day to call her but couldn't catch her until that night. I had a doctor's appointment the next day and in the course of taking my history, he asked me about my parents. I told him that my father had passed away the year before, that my mother had turned 70 the day before and had spent the day up on the roof replacing shingles. The doctor's sitting there looking at me like 'huh?' and finally said.......'you're joking, right?' I assured him that I was not and added that indeed, my 70 year old mother had spent her birthday replacing shingles. He sat there in amazement for awhile then blurted out something like 'she was up there ALONE?' Telling him that my then 65 year old aunt was up there helping her and adding that my then 30 year old cousin had been there for awhile before tiring and going home didn't seem to reassure him any :P When I finally offered to give him Mum's telephone number so he could call and verify what I had told him, it finally soaked in that I wasn't having one on him. Poor man...........:Spaz:

#7 ShadowStorm

ShadowStorm

Senior Villager

• PipPipPipPip
  • 304 posts

Posted 09 November 2006 - 10:18 PM

:clap: Whooohooo! Go Shadow, Go Shadow!! I was blessed to grow up with strong, independent women as role models and was taught from day 1 that gender has no bearing on your abilities. A story that I love to tell is that on my mother's 70th. birthday, I had tried all day to call her but couldn't catch her until that night. I had a doctor's appointment the next day and in the course of taking my history, he asked me about my parents. I told him that my father had passed away the year before, that my mother had turned 70 the day before and had spent the day up on the roof replacing shingles. The doctor's sitting there looking at me like 'huh?' and finally said.......'you're joking, right?' I assured him that I was not and added that indeed, my 70 year old mother had spent her birthday replacing shingles. He sat there in amazement for awhile then blurted out something like 'she was up there ALONE?' Telling him that my then 65 year old aunt was up there helping her and adding that my then 30 year old cousin had been there for awhile before tiring and going home didn't seem to reassure him any ;) When I finally offered to give him Mum's telephone number so he could call and verify what I had told him, it finally soaked in that I wasn't having one on him. Poor man...........;)

ROFLMAO!!!!

That's the funniest thing I've heard in a while!

:clap:

Go Mom! Go!!

Woot!

*Breaks out the Champagne!*

Here's to girls everywhere!

#8 MoonChild

MoonChild

Undead giant that feasts on hotdogs!

• Town Council
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 50,360 posts
  • Interests:I want to help people to re-connect with themselves. Rock Music, Football (European League), Animals (cat lover), Travel, Cars, Speed, Nature, Super Natural.

Posted 09 November 2006 - 11:13 PM

fun time, eh? I wish I could do something of that sort.
Posted Image

#9 ShadowStorm

ShadowStorm

Senior Villager

• PipPipPipPip
  • 304 posts

Posted 09 November 2006 - 11:18 PM

As soon as you can, you should!

I had fun doing it. Today I will finish the rest of it.

:clap:

#10 Ambra

Ambra

Should not travel without a map

• PipPipPip
  • 219 posts
  • Interests:Ghosts, of course, reading, arts and crafts, particularly cross-stitch, movies.

Posted 09 November 2006 - 11:34 PM

The fence looks great! I love that color and I normally don't go for greens.

To soothe your aching muscles and to have your husband make-up for not painting the fence yourself, you should get yourself and all-day appointment at the spa and make hubby take care of the kids while you're gone! And tell him to have dinner on the table waiting when you get back, too!
I got smacked by aloha spirit!Posted Image

#11 ravenhecate

ravenhecate

Senior Villager

• PipPipPipPip
  • 470 posts
  • Interests:Art, Paganism, Animals

Posted 10 November 2006 - 12:59 AM

My mom is actually a better carpenter than my dad is, so I grew up kind of knowing how to do a few things. I've changed the doorknobs on my doors a few different times, put a new toilet handle on my toilet, and changed the heating element in my electric oven. I'm pretty proud of those things. Women can do anything a man can do (well, almost. It isn't a easy for us to write our names in the snow, if you know what I mean. :clap: :clap: ).

Good job Shadow. The paint job looks great.
Posted ImagePosted Image

#12 ShadowStorm

ShadowStorm

Senior Villager

• PipPipPipPip
  • 304 posts

Posted 10 November 2006 - 06:18 AM

I wouldn't normally paint anything green either....but when I saw that colour....it matched the leaves on my avo tree! And that was it. Decision made!

It makes the yard look smaller but it's prettier.

Green painted concrete is better than that ugly raw concrete I had.

For the last year I wanted the walls done. And every time I asked...it was...."I'll do it this weekend."

Well....52 weekends later...I got annoyed.

And I can't finish the paint today because it's decided to rumble, thunder and rain!

Not that I mind the rain! But I'd have like to have finished.

And Laikin has ballet exams tomorrow and next saturday and I'm working this sunday and next so.....I'll h ave to finish next week wednesday!

A long term project for sure!

#13 Justa

Justa

Champion YMCA dancer and professional spaghetti nose shooter

• Town Council
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,497 posts

Posted 10 November 2006 - 09:42 AM

*cautiously steps into this thread, trying to avoid being castigated for being a male* :)

First of all, you did a wonderful job. You should be very proud of what you accomplished.

Now, I would like to try to change the perspective here for a bit. I think that you should thank your husband for not doing it for you. Look at what you have accomplished. Look at how much pride you have in the fact that you were able to do this unassisted. You can turn to the world and say "Look at what I did". You have set an example for women everywhere, showing them that they can accomplish great feats with the proper motivation. You have shown your inner independence. You are woman... hear you roar :wow:

Now, if you had gone to see a motivational speaker and paid $100, and came out of there and decided to paint the fence, you would have told everybody "I saw this great motivational speaker, and he gave me the determination and the inner strength to tackle this job". If you had gone out for lunch with a couple of your girlfriends and they told you of things that they had done, and told you that you could do this if you put your mind to it, you would have thanked them wholeheartedly for giving you the support and the belief that you could do it.

However, because your husband wasn't getting around to it, you decided to do it, and triumphantly shouted out "I don't need a man to do this" and all of a sudden, the male population is being called lazy :D I think that your husband, as with most men, was silently supporting you and trying to get you to find the inner strength and belief, and to get you to realize that you can do anything you put your mind to. So I think you should go give him a big hug, and thank him for not doing it. And maybe a nice dinner, a massage, you know, that kind of stuff that shows him that you really appreciate him helping you find your inner independence.

Oh, and if you buy this, he owes me a beer :clap:

Seriously though, great job :hug:
Posted Image

#14 Vampchick21

Vampchick21

Looks Irish, loves Italian food, lives in Canada....must be lost

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,995 posts
  • Interests:knitting, crocheting, writing, cats, paranormal phenomena, cryptzoology, Monty Python

Posted 10 November 2006 - 10:27 AM

First thing I ever learned at my mother's knee was that if you wanted something done, you did it yourself. :clap: I'm constantly doing that, I don't recall ever asking my husband to help me or to do it....lol. However, if he sees me doing something like teetering on a precarious perch trying to hammer nails into whatever solid wood went into the construction of my 100 year old window frames, he's been known to pluck me out of the way and do it for me. Simply because he thinks I'm about to fall through the window.

And I always get the same satisfaction that you have when I accomplish something that large of a scale (btw....your backyard fence looks FANTASTIC, the colour gives the illusion of more space.)

Krafted with luv

by monsters

#15 ShadowStorm

ShadowStorm

Senior Villager

• PipPipPipPip
  • 304 posts

Posted 10 November 2006 - 11:06 AM

First of all.....Justa.

You are gorgeous! Even if you are a boy! *grins* You make my heart melt. :wow:

Thank you for your words, and I'm not going to castigate you for anything! I don't think I called him lazy. Just..uh....too busy to make time for the things we needed done. And yes, I am proud of my green walls!!!!

Vampchick....you're right about getting things done yourself. One hundred percent! And yep...I think it' a cool colour choice!

Tell me....being from south africa....is it an american thing to call a 6 ft concrete wall a fence? Where I'm from, a fence is made of wire! Took me a while to figure out what a faucet was!! We call 'em taps! :clap:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users