Questions for Pagans about spells.

• Please log in to reply
18 replies to this topic

#16 seakla

seakla

Senior Villager

• PipPipPipPip
  • 424 posts
  • Interests:My biggest interests are reading and writing. I also love to research my genealogy and love to research other little historical people or events that catch my attention. I am really getting into homespun crafts and have recently learned howe to weave a basket, make my own paper and am currently learning to carve wood. <br /><br />I am married (10 years in 2006) and have two daughters who will be 10 and 8 in 2006. We all enjoy hanging around outside in our own yard, but also are fond of grabbing a South Carolina map, looking at it and saying &quot;this looks like a cool place&quot; and we will take off and drive there. <br /><br />I also enjoy meeting other people and learning about other places and cultures and have a few penpals that I am trying to be better at writing to regularly.

Posted 04 January 2007 - 07:23 PM

aloha_spirit....I agree with you. I am not saying curses are non-existent or fantasy, but just knowing about the curse can add a lot too it. It's like people who always thinks they have bad luck might tend to have more little accidents or be a klutz because they figure they had bad luck...it is just expected.

I have never seen anything like what you have described but one of my good friends practiced voodoo and was born in Louisiana. He has told me some things that are quite frightful.
Believe and you will be rewarded~Check out my newest release: Magick for the Kitchen WitchVisit my site http://seakla.tripod.com for an autographed copy or purchase it at any online bookstore [

#17 carlotta

carlotta

Village Elder

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 948 posts
  • Interests:Tarot, gardening, hiking, Victorian literature, cats, European travel

Posted 05 January 2007 - 07:11 AM

I am not saying curses are non-existent or fantasy, but just knowing about the curse can add a lot too it.

I agree. One becomes a little more sensitive and starts attributing situations that may have happened with or without 'spell enhancement', but because a person is told they're cursed, they focus on all of the bad things that happen as part of a curse. Conversely, if a person is told they're blessed, they're less upset about the bad things, and excited and looking for the good things that happen.
Who owns the land? Only the land knows. We mortals are passersby, and our lives are but a brief moment in the great span of time and space. We are born, we live out our lives, and most of us do the best we can with it, but the wind is forever, and the rivers flow forever to the sea, and all the seasons of the weathers will come and go after we are gone. But the Earth endures, the Earth is eternal" - Earl Hamner

#18 aloha_spirit

aloha_spirit

I'm 100% Poi Dog!

• Town Council
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,534 posts
  • Interests:Computer Programming, Books, Movies, Nature, Religion.

Posted 05 January 2007 - 12:40 PM

aloha_spirit....I agree with you. I am not saying curses are non-existent or fantasy, but just knowing about the curse can add a lot too it. It's like people who always thinks they have bad luck might tend to have more little accidents or be a klutz because they figure they had bad luck...it is just expected.

It's called a self-fulfilling prophecy. If someone truly believes something bad or good will happen to them, they will register a non-related event as proof of the curse / blessing. Also, by convincing yourself that you will fail, you will fail. Same thing happens on the other end of the spectrum.

I didn't lose my mind - I have it backed up on a disk ... somewhere

#19 seakla

seakla

Senior Villager

• PipPipPipPip
  • 424 posts
  • Interests:My biggest interests are reading and writing. I also love to research my genealogy and love to research other little historical people or events that catch my attention. I am really getting into homespun crafts and have recently learned howe to weave a basket, make my own paper and am currently learning to carve wood. <br /><br />I am married (10 years in 2006) and have two daughters who will be 10 and 8 in 2006. We all enjoy hanging around outside in our own yard, but also are fond of grabbing a South Carolina map, looking at it and saying &quot;this looks like a cool place&quot; and we will take off and drive there. <br /><br />I also enjoy meeting other people and learning about other places and cultures and have a few penpals that I am trying to be better at writing to regularly.

Posted 05 January 2007 - 01:30 PM

It's called a self-fulfilling prophecy. If someone truly believes something bad or good will happen to them, they will register a non-related event as proof of the curse / blessing. Also, by convincing yourself that you will fail, you will fail. Same thing happens on the other end of the spectrum.

Exactly right. In fact, where I work we try to dispell self-fulfilling prophecy. I work with adults with Mental Retardation adn we teach them pre-vocational skills so they can work in the community. We are discouraged from expecting failure or telling them they can't do something. If we do this it sets them in the wrong frame of mind and they won't try.
Believe and you will be rewarded~Check out my newest release: Magick for the Kitchen WitchVisit my site http://seakla.tripod.com for an autographed copy or purchase it at any online bookstore [

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users