• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 OwlGoddess

OwlGoddess

Village Elder

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 829 posts

Posted 01 October 2003 - 07:58 AM

like a lot of other gv'ers, i have had extensive childhood and lifelong experience with haunted houses.  notably, i grew up in a haunted house, and freqeunted at least two others during my childhood.  

one of the most frightening things about my childhood home, where my parents still live today, are the hauntings surrounding an antique claw-foot bathtub that was not original to the house.

when i was very little, probably about three or four, i remember an older woman wearing a long calico dress that would stand in the hallway outside of my bedroom, and she would stare at me all night.  my bedroom was right by the bathroom where the tub was installed.

after a ceremony that caused the calico woman not to physically appear, i saw a shadow standing in the same part of the house, and i began to have a series of upsetting dreams about the bathtub.  

i was interested to know if anyone else here at gv had any similar experiences with a haunted object or part of a childhood home that made a stark impression on you, or if anyone has answers as to why the tub might be associated with nightmares and a ghost that lurked about for many years.

OwlGoddess
Life's waters flow from darkness; Search the darkness, don't run from it.--Rumi

#2 offdahook4now

offdahook4now

Junior Villager

• PipPip
  • 81 posts

Posted 01 October 2003 - 10:48 AM

Wow..as an adult that would scare the life out of me, I can't imagine how scared a child would feel!  

I never had anything paranormal happen as a child, but now as an adult, I take what children say more seriously.

I would think if something scared you that bad, it would be etched in your brain, and I can see how you'd have nightmares.  You associate the tub with the apparition.

Maybe someone else here can offer more opinions. ;)

#3 OwlGoddess

OwlGoddess

Village Elder

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 829 posts

Posted 01 October 2003 - 12:50 PM

thanks, offdahook4now...

it was unbelievably frightening to behold a full aparition at such a tender age.  fortunately, my family believed me after many nights of screaming brought them out of their beds.  they were a fantastic support system:  ghost-chasers and believers themselves, i learned that the calico woman did not mean me any harm.

the dreams about the bathtub occured some years later - during my adolescence.  some of them were clearly related to my own anxieties during the time i was growing up.  however, other of the dreams were frighteningly real.

i understand, from another post, that you, offdahook4now, have experienced some acute hautings.  in particular the incident of the moved chest of drawers stood out in my mind.  

if i may ask, have you lived on any other military bases with similar levels of activity?  i am curious.  i was born at fort campbell, kentucky and my mother reported seeing paranormal activity in and around that base.

OwlGoddess

#4 flyingorb

flyingorb

Village Elder

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,754 posts
  • Interests:Infrared Photography

Posted 01 October 2003 - 03:56 PM

You raised an interesting point that I need to think about for awhile.  I have heard about spirits inhabiting physical objects, but till now have never really thought about it.

As a young child I endured attacks by an entity that would sink its claws into my back and shake me around (no blood, no marks) but the experience was all to real.  This happened long term, a year or more.  What made me think about this was the fact that I now have the same bed that I slept in as a child.  I bought it from my parents when they were having a moving sale.  Even now, I don't think I could actually bring myself to actually sleep in that bed.  Seems that my sensing of an interactive spirit in my basement started about the time when I moved that bed into my home.  I don't know if its a related incident or not, but it certainly raises some interesting posibilities........ :-/
CRY HAVOK! Let Slip The Chihuahuas Of War.....When an ORB dies.......a Chihuahua is born!

#5 OwlGoddess

OwlGoddess

Village Elder

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 829 posts

Posted 01 October 2003 - 05:00 PM

flyingorb - gosh!  that is TERRIFYING!!  :o  if that had happened to me, i would have required sedation.  you're a brave one.

i really think that spirits or spiritual energy can imprint or stay with inanimate objects.  i am a sensitive that can feel "emotional residue" in older houses and public places... i noticed the ability to do the same with used objects not long after i started dreaming about the bathtub in my parents' house.

a question for you about your bed - was it second-hand?  or perhaps an antique?  do you know anything about its origin?

OwlGoddess

#6 KarenSue1973

KarenSue1973

Village Elder

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,310 posts
  • Interests:Photography, baking, sewing

Posted 01 October 2003 - 05:06 PM

I used to be haunted by the same nightmare as a child.  I knocked on this door and they threw me in the pit with a dead Indian in it.  I never found out the meaning of that dream.  
Peace, love and happiness always!

#7 OwlGoddess

OwlGoddess

Village Elder

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 829 posts

Posted 01 October 2003 - 07:50 PM

KarenSue, were you yourself in the dream - or someone else?

in the dream i had, i was the one to walk into the bathroom to find a dead old woman in the tub.  a woman, similar to the calico woman, would come in and wash her hair - preparing her for a funeral, i guess.  i had this dream over and over - sometimes the dead woman was just in there, sometimes a person was preparing her for viewing.

one night after having the dream, i went into the bathroom, and i spoke into the tub - declared my wish not to be reminded of the grief that was associated with it.  after that, the bathtub dreams stopped and the shadowy presence in the hallway eventually went away.

OwlGoddess

#8 offdahook4now

offdahook4now

Junior Villager

• PipPip
  • 81 posts

Posted 02 October 2003 - 03:35 AM

OwlGoddess,

Actually, yes, I have heard that several military posts are haunted.

Before my haunting in WA state, I lived at Ft. Riley, KS.  This was before I believed in hauntings. I was told by a friend that the Red Cross building was haunted.  Also, I cleaned vacant quarters on post, and several times when I was cleaning late at night, I heard things.  One time I was in a house on main post (officer quarters) late at night cleaning and I heard noises upstairs.  I was the only one in the house.  I walked up the stairs and looked in the bare bedrooms.  The closet door was open, light on, and the long string attached to the light was swinging back and forth.  I shut the light off, closed the door and went back downstairs.  Of course, it gave me the willies, but I chose to write it off as just something strange, but not paranormal...because I didn't believe in ghosts then.

Flyingorb,  I can't even imagine how scarey that must have been!  If that would have happened to me, I can guarantee I'd have nightmares over that.  I don't think I'd have the guts to sleep in that bed ever again!!

#9 OwlGoddess

OwlGoddess

Village Elder

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 829 posts

Posted 02 October 2003 - 07:47 AM

yes, yes flyingorb... i'm not entirelly sure i'd be brave enough to welcome it back into my living space, either!  you're a brave one!  :o

offdahook4now, that's interesting that you mention Ft. Riley, KS.  my dad reported having to go there once, and his comment about it was "there were parts of that place that were just crawling with spirits."  

that thing that you mentioned, going upstairs and seeing a closet door open and seeing the light on and the pullchain swinging is something that i myself have experienced.

in the second haunted rental house i lived at while in college back in oklahoma, that same thing happened while i was moving my things into my bedroom.  no one was upstairs - everyone was out in the parking lot unloading furniture.  i knew that the closet door was closed and the light was off - i had shut it and turned off the light myself.  when i came back five minutes later with a box of books, the door was wide open, the light was on, and the pullchain was swinging.  my room in that house was the center of a lot of activity - and i don't doubt it!  i'm glad i didn't sleep there much!!

flyingorb - i didn't think about this yesterday, but did you experience any other haunted activity in your house?

OwlGoddess

#10 KarenSue1973

KarenSue1973

Village Elder

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,310 posts
  • Interests:Photography, baking, sewing

Posted 02 October 2003 - 07:27 PM

I think that it was me, but I am not like I look like now.  Its like I was back in time.  It is weird.  I haven't had the dream in a while.
Peace, love and happiness always!

#11 flyingorb

flyingorb

Village Elder

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,754 posts
  • Interests:Infrared Photography

Posted 03 October 2003 - 04:44 PM

Hi all,

I have no recollection of feeling a presence in the basement before the bed was brought into my house.  As I remember, it was bought new when I was a child and could be used as a bunk bed or as separate single beds.  I had feelings and captured infrared pictures during other investigations (mostly cemeteries), but there was nothing in my home.  I don't know if the presence of the bed is causal to the interactive spirits encountered since, or if just that my experiences/investigations with our group is helping to develope suppressed abilities.

I don't think it has so much to do with me being brave as perhaps a combination of an inquisitive nature and stupidity of possible consequences *LOL*

Oh well, time will tell.  Perhaps I do indeed need to assemble the bed and spend a night in it to banish a fear that has been with me for the better part of 40 years. But not tonight! *LOL*

Your vision of the lady in the tub would have been extremely disturbing.  I am glad that once the spirit communicated what they needed that you were spared  further sights of her.  She probably knew that you could see her and was, as your family said, trying to communicate with you.

Karensue, do you have any Native American heritage?  Strange dream.  I haven't a clue as to what it could really represent.  Perhaps a trace of a memory from a previous life?

Offdahook, makes sense that alot of activity would be at a military post.  I don't think it was trying to scare you, perhaps an effort to let you know it was there.
CRY HAVOK! Let Slip The Chihuahuas Of War.....When an ORB dies.......a Chihuahua is born!

#12 OwlGoddess

OwlGoddess

Village Elder

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 829 posts

Posted 08 October 2003 - 07:30 AM

hey flyingorb -- that is very interesting about your bed.  i'm sure, with your experience now, a night spent in that bed would be more of an adventure than a promising night of terror and fright.

i'm glad that the apparition and dream phenomena that came with the bathtub went away after some communication with it... i was really losing sleep over it after awhile.

O.G.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users