Black cats and familiars

• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 heavenlee

heavenlee

Senior Villager

• PipPipPipPip
  • 438 posts
  • Interests:Ghost hunting, psychic awareness, angels, mediums, old grave yards any graveyard.lol! I hate ufo paranormal it scares the jibes out of me.

Posted 04 January 2007 - 08:29 PM

I have read before the reason a witch would keep a black cat is, that the black cat will absorb the negativity from the caster when negative spells are cast. Anyone know if this is true or not? Also I heard your familiar will find you, not to look for one. With both of my fur babies this has happened. My oldest who is a 2 years old almost knows when there is work to be done she will come over, and sit and watch until the task is completed.She is so spiteful but, loving she wears a pink collar with skull and cross bones. The baby who is 9 months seems to be in never never land. She has virtually no personality! She only lives to chase mice in the attached garage. Just wondering what everyones views were on familiars.
Dont be afraid of the dead its the living you should fear!Posted Image

#2 myss911

myss911

Junior Villager

• PipPip
  • 25 posts
  • Interests:Paranormal investigation, spellwork, research, crafts, writing, travel, collecting...

Posted 05 January 2007 - 07:42 AM

Here is something I have found on 'Familiars'

"FAMILIARS

Witches "familiars" were thought to be of three kinds...the spirit of a dead person, an element or a material creature; which is probably the best known...
I have featured the four most popular contenders; the cat, fox, horse & magpie. There are various interpretations of same but I have focused on the main ones.

The interesting thing about the creatures mentioned is that they all have a "dark" aspect to them...not a concept I completly agree with. However, cats, foxes, hares, rats, owls, magpies, toads (with the notable exception of the mighty horse) are animals which hold unsavoury memories...even from childhood.

The cat (black or otherwise) is a famous Witches' companion; and anyone who has had the pleasure of owning such an animal (if indeed you do OWN a cat?!) will no doubt agree that they are exceptional creatures & in no way unsavoury (apart from the dead mice!).

A black cat, even by todays standards, is still considered to be a Witches' Familiar...and many people are wary of them (despite the superstition of good luck).

In the early 16th century suspected Witches (who were then burned & hanged) were said to turn themselves into animals; most famously a hare - hence the familiar - to save themselves from certain death; although, at the time it was said to be the work of the devil...(of course good Witches of today know the devil has nothing to do with the craft).

Animals & Witches have had a long association, whether it's "eye of newt & wing of bat" or a trusted familiar it is safe to assume the partnership is, and always will be, an enduring one.

Everyone needs a companion; even a Witch - look beyond the stereotype and tap into the real positive elements of these familiars...you may be pleasantly surprised!

Dalry Witches (2003) ©"

I personally own three cats and all of them seem to have some sort or another of respect for any craft work that I do. When I have cast a circle (though allowed to) my cats will not penetrate the circle, they will sit outside and actually wait until the circle has been opened. I have a Ginger Mackrel Tabby (Morris like), a Tonkinese mix and a pure black cat with a crook shaped tail. I know I have always been drawn to my black cat and he to I, but in my opinion I believe that almost any animal can be a familiar.
May love, light and laughter surround you...

#3 powries

powries

Junior Villager

• PipPip
  • 87 posts

Posted 05 January 2007 - 09:11 AM

Hi All:

I'm just adding my two cents in. I read that in England Black cats are considered very good luck its the calico's cats that were to be the witches familiars???Any other input is welcomed.

Powries

#4 Flormarina

Flormarina

Village Elder

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 827 posts
  • Interests:I love poetry, and photography, music and oil painting, in general I love nature, with all its splendour and glory. The paranormal has been one of my favourites hobbies.

Posted 05 January 2007 - 09:21 AM

well I think a black cat is just that!!! a black cat... I just love my black cat and I don't see anything witchy about it. :weeee:
Posted ImageFlormarinaIf you got something to tell the world, write a book....

#5 seakla

seakla

Senior Villager

• PipPipPipPip
  • 424 posts
  • Interests:My biggest interests are reading and writing. I also love to research my genealogy and love to research other little historical people or events that catch my attention. I am really getting into homespun crafts and have recently learned howe to weave a basket, make my own paper and am currently learning to carve wood. <br /><br />I am married (10 years in 2006) and have two daughters who will be 10 and 8 in 2006. We all enjoy hanging around outside in our own yard, but also are fond of grabbing a South Carolina map, looking at it and saying &quot;this looks like a cool place&quot; and we will take off and drive there. <br /><br />I also enjoy meeting other people and learning about other places and cultures and have a few penpals that I am trying to be better at writing to regularly.

Posted 05 January 2007 - 01:57 PM

well I think a black cat is just that!!! a black cat... I just love my black cat and I don't see anything witchy about it. :weeee:

Very true! I am not sure where the superstition cam about black cats...maybe because they resemble the night with the dark coloring?

I know that it has been considered unlucky if a black cat crosses your path, too. I personally have never had issues with black cats or any other cats and also think that a familiar, it is going to be a cat, can be any color cat.

From what I know of familiars they do not have to seek you out...and you don't have to actually own the animal for it to be a familiar because they are not meant to be sent out to be our "eyes" or do our deeds for us as depicted in movies. But it is more like your "spirit" animal. When focusing on a spell or needing to astral project often people will use their familiar...but, like I said, you don't have to own it. If you do own an animal that is similiar to your familar, more power to you. However...I think that a familair is really more like a symbol and not an actual, physical pet.

I have a friend who has an animal familiar and hers is a hawk I think. She gave me a book about Native American familiars and in it, it tells you how to concentrate and find what your familiar is...so according to it you can go and seek it out. Also, I would think if you were looking for an actual pet for a familiar you could find it by the same way of certain stones or crystals calling to you...if a certain pet calls to you, then maybe that is it.

I might be wrong on this and might be confusing familiars and spirit animals if they are not the same thing, so please pull my coattails if I'm mistaken. :weeee:
Believe and you will be rewarded~Check out my newest release: Magick for the Kitchen WitchVisit my site http://seakla.tripod.com for an autographed copy or purchase it at any online bookstore [

#6 heavenlee

heavenlee

Senior Villager

• PipPipPipPip
  • 438 posts
  • Interests:Ghost hunting, psychic awareness, angels, mediums, old grave yards any graveyard.lol! I hate ufo paranormal it scares the jibes out of me.

Posted 05 January 2007 - 06:58 PM

Hi All:

I'm just adding my two cents in. I read that in England Black cats are considered very good luck its the calico's cats that were to be the witches familiars???Any other input is welcomed.

Powries

I love my black fur babies too! If you look back all the way to the victorian days all the postcards and stories about witches had a black cat! I think they are beautiful!

#7 seakla

seakla

Senior Villager

• PipPipPipPip
  • 424 posts
  • Interests:My biggest interests are reading and writing. I also love to research my genealogy and love to research other little historical people or events that catch my attention. I am really getting into homespun crafts and have recently learned howe to weave a basket, make my own paper and am currently learning to carve wood. <br /><br />I am married (10 years in 2006) and have two daughters who will be 10 and 8 in 2006. We all enjoy hanging around outside in our own yard, but also are fond of grabbing a South Carolina map, looking at it and saying &quot;this looks like a cool place&quot; and we will take off and drive there. <br /><br />I also enjoy meeting other people and learning about other places and cultures and have a few penpals that I am trying to be better at writing to regularly.

Posted 06 January 2007 - 08:57 AM

I was looking for a folklore poem that has been running trhrough my head all week and I found this and it reminded me of this post.

"Kiss the black cat, an' 'twill make ye fat;
Kiss the white one, 'twill make ye lean."

So...for those of you with black cats and feel they are putting on too much weight...stop kissing it and go buy a white one!

A new diet program...buy a white cat. lol

Funny what superstitions people used to believe in the "old days."
Believe and you will be rewarded~Check out my newest release: Magick for the Kitchen WitchVisit my site http://seakla.tripod.com for an autographed copy or purchase it at any online bookstore [

#8 jamas1129

jamas1129

Junior Villager

• PipPip
  • 54 posts
  • Interests:My interests are reading, knitting (which I taught myself how to do), writting poetry, and any kind of writting that I can do. I love to just put twisted stories that I make up on paper. I wrote my first childrens book. (Not published, yet)<br />Most of my time is spent on my children and my husband. They mean more to me than anybody in this world.

Posted 06 January 2007 - 10:50 AM

I don't believe that a black cat is bad luck. I owned one a long time ago. He has since been passed on to another wonderful family, due to a home we lived in didn't allow pets.

His name is Binx. I swear he was so wonderful. The best animal I thought I could ever have. Until my Jazzy found me.

I always go to the human society to hand out treats to the animals that are there. I was walking by the cat cages, and this little grey and white thing stuck out his claws and grabbed ahold of my sweater. She was trying to hard to grab ahold of me. I knew then that she picked me. She's been with my family and I for over a year now.

I believe that a familiar chooses you. You don't choose them.

#9 Morbid

Morbid

Thinks the jelly runs out of the peanut butter sandwich in head

• PipPipPipPip
  • 449 posts

Posted 06 January 2007 - 02:15 PM

Jamas1129 wasn't that the name of the cat in Hocus Pocus?

Anyone know how to get cats to leave you alone? I haven't found a true familiar yet, but I think I may end up trying cats, cause if they see me, they decide I'm their plaything. I deliver newspapers as a job, and I deliver to a cat lady, and I have to hope I land it on her porch, cause if I don't I have to get out and the cats start rubbing. I only get like 6 at a time, but there's an army up there... And I'm allergic..
Nothing is true, everything is permitted.The law of Chaos.

#10 heavenlee

heavenlee

Senior Villager

• PipPipPipPip
  • 438 posts

Posted 06 January 2007 - 10:11 PM

Anyone know how to get cats to leave you alone? I haven't found a true familiar yet, but I think I may end up trying cats, cause if they see me, they decide I'm their plaything. I deliver newspapers as a job, and I deliver to a cat lady, and I have to hope I land it on her porch, cause if I don't I have to get out and the cats start rubbing. I only get like 6 at a time, but there's an army up there... And I'm allergic..

Poor Morbid, Stop rolling in catnip buddy? Lol! Cats are different creatures when you want to love on them, they are not interested. When im busy doing book work or reading the paper the lay down on the paper and purrr...

#11 carlotta

carlotta

Village Elder

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 951 posts
  • Interests:Tarot, gardening, hiking, Victorian literature, cats, European travel

Posted 08 January 2007 - 06:47 AM

My cats hate to be petted if I've just peeled something citrus, like an orange or a tangerine. The citrus smell is too strong for their sensitive noses. If you don't feel like rubbing your pants with fresh peeled orange, you might carry a little water pistol to encourage them to go away. Say 'Back' decidedly when you do this, and after awhile, they should be trained to leave you alone.

It's not that I believe in being mean to cats, but a cat allergy is not something to take lightly, and a little water never hurts a cat. Mine know to back off when they hear the sound of a spray bottle.
Who owns the land? Only the land knows. We mortals are passersby, and our lives are but a brief moment in the great span of time and space. We are born, we live out our lives, and most of us do the best we can with it, but the wind is forever, and the rivers flow forever to the sea, and all the seasons of the weathers will come and go after we are gone. But the Earth endures, the Earth is eternal" - Earl Hamner

#12 ravenhecate

ravenhecate

Senior Villager

• PipPipPipPip
  • 470 posts
  • Interests:Art, Paganism, Animals

Posted 08 January 2007 - 12:06 PM

My cats hate to be petted if I've just peeled something citrus, like an orange or a tangerine. The citrus smell is too strong for their sensitive noses. If you don't feel like rubbing your pants with fresh peeled orange, you might carry a little water pistol to encourage them to go away. Say 'Back' decidedly when you do this, and after awhile, they should be trained to leave you alone.

It's not that I believe in being mean to cats, but a cat allergy is not something to take lightly, and a little water never hurts a cat. Mine know to back off when they hear the sound of a spray bottle.

Citrus doesn't work with all cats unfortunately. I had a cat once who loved to eat grapefruit. Couldn't sit down to eat one unless she got her fair share.
Posted ImagePosted Image

#13 Moonstruck

Moonstruck

Village Elder

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 606 posts

Posted 08 January 2007 - 02:43 PM

We had so many black cats at the shelter at one point that we couldn't tell them apart anymore and had to buy different color collars to keep track of them. We didn't adopt any of them out over Halloween and they just added up. Then over Christmas they all got adopted. They are so beautiful, slick, shiny, long or short haired and thier eyes stand out so prominently. Maybe it makes them look more mysterious.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users