Experience & question

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 syhtarnen

syhtarnen

• Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 12 August 2003 - 01:09 PM

I'm not sure I'm putting this in the right place, so please feel free to move it.

Ok, I'll start off with the question... is it possible for a grave monument sitting directly in the sun to be freezing cold? I'm not sure how marble & stone like to work, so I'm just a tad confused.

I visited a cemetery here in town, I believe about a year go, and before leaving stopped at a marker that was of a woman reclining. It was about the beginning of July & I'd say around 1 o'clock. She was right in the path of the sun with no trees around her, and to the touch, she was freezing. Her face, hands, feet. I didn't touch any other parts of the marker to see if they were the same, so I'm just going on those places.

That is possible, right? Or am I just crazy?

#2 mjking4ever

mjking4ever

Junior Villager

• PipPip
  • 22 posts

Posted 13 August 2003 - 08:22 PM

;) As far as I know unless it was in the shade ,it should have been warm at the least. ;)But like I said. As far as I know. :)
mjking4everPeace + Love = Happiness

#3 syhtarnen

syhtarnen

• Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 18 August 2003 - 09:23 AM

That's what I always figured, too.  At least I know I'm not alone, because my sister touched it & it was cold to her also.  But getting the two of us together is just asking for something weird to go on!  ;)

Thanks for your reply.

#4 krcguns

krcguns

Village Elder

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,206 posts
  • Interests:Well....investigating ghosts and finding out what lies beyond this life of course!

Posted 18 August 2003 - 10:32 AM

I have had a couple of different experiences with stone and cement heating and cooling when it shouldn't be.  I find them very strange indeed.  I had an experience with an angel statue in a cemetery that actually heated up 10 degrees while the air temperature was falling.  This should have been impossible but we had three witnesses to the event.  I think that a statue in direct sun light would be warm, if not, then there could be something else happening here! ;D
Posted ImagePosted ImagePosted ImagePosted Image

#5 flyingorb

flyingorb

Village Elder

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,754 posts
  • Interests:Infrared Photography

Posted 18 August 2003 - 01:59 PM

Stone is a dense material so it tends to act as a heat sink.  When compaired to the heating/cooling rate of air, it takes a long time for a large stone to warm.  Conversely, it tends to hold the heat and tends to take a long time to cool.

Rammed earth houses use the same effect with walls that are made out of guess what?  Rammed earth 1-2 feet thick.  These houses don't tend to warm up until nightfall and don't tend to cool off til daylight.

A large statue as described MAY tend to act the same way, especially if a poured foundation was added to help support/stabilise the statue/tombstone.  That may be the case on a large work of art like this one described.  If so, the ground would also tend to dissapate heat and make the stone cool to the touch. ;)
CRY HAVOK! Let Slip The Chihuahuas Of War.....When an ORB dies.......a Chihuahua is born!

#6 syhtarnen

syhtarnen

• Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 19 August 2003 - 06:41 PM

Thanks you guys! That monument bugged me the whole time we were there. I saw it when we came in & I swear if she could she would have gotten up and followed me around! ;D One of these days I'll get back there to visit her!

What an experience, krc. Definitely weird.

Thanks flyingorb! That would make sense because the monument was definitely large and there was a foundation under her. I can give my poor little brain a rest.  ;)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users