power animals

• Please log in to reply
47 replies to this topic

#1 whiskeysuicide

whiskeysuicide

Villager

• PipPipPip
  • 158 posts
  • Interests:. joe strummer <3 . the clash . the mescarleros . this rockin' world . reggae . elvis . kitty-cats . riots . supernatural . vampires. faeries . aliens . jurassic park . ghosts . graveyards . ramen noodles . my love. yer face . ATHF . DBZ . chalupas . animals . halloween . ookie spookie things . saving the world .

Posted 07 February 2007 - 05:38 PM

i don't know if this would go here or not, but i was wondering what other people's "power animals/animal totems" were.

mine is an owl ;)

Posted Image

Edited by whiskeysuicide, 07 February 2007 - 05:39 PM.

Superior Galactic Grandma, after eatinga block of cheese, smoking three packsof cigarettes, and drinking a quart of milk... disgusting, that's the word ...R.I.P. Adam Sanders & Steve Harmonilove&missyouboth

#2 FyreSpirit

FyreSpirit

• Pip
  • 7 posts
  • Interests:All paranormal subjects, especially cryptozoology. Also history, mythology, astrology.

Posted 07 February 2007 - 06:06 PM

Mine is too.....I just started meditating in the past year, and I found out almost right away that my totem is an owl.

#3 MoonChild

MoonChild

Undead giant that feasts on hotdogs!

• Town Council
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 50,391 posts
  • Interests:Life

Posted 07 February 2007 - 06:47 PM

Whoops, I am not sure of mine, can we have vampires for a totem? :) ;)
Posted Image

#4 Vivienne_DuBois

Vivienne_DuBois

Village Elder

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 625 posts

Posted 08 February 2007 - 03:25 PM

Very interesting post, Whiskey.

I, like Moon, have no idea what my power animal/animal totem would be and Iím sure some others would not, either. Frankly, Iím not even sure what they are. ;) So, I have a few questions for you:

1. Is there a difference between a power animal and an animal totem? Or, are they both the same thing?
2. What are power animals/animal totems?
3. In what spiritual realm are p.a./a.t. acknowledged? (Meaning: are p.a./a.t. acknowledged in Native American spiritual beliefs or some other form of belief system? Or, are they used for meditational purposes in general?).
4. How does one go about finding what their personal p.a./a.t. is?
5. What influence does our p.a./a.t. have in our lives (both positive and negative influences)?
6. How many p.a./a.t. does a person have?

I hope I donít sound silly with my questions; I am merely curious about this. :)

Viv

Edited by Vivienne_DuBois, 08 February 2007 - 03:26 PM.

#5 BellaRose

BellaRose

Village Elder

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 717 posts
  • Interests:My SON (the Sunshine of my Life!!!!), Reading,<br />Bellydancing, My Pets, Sharing Information.<br /><br />ROSE &amp; THE TAROT<br />I have been studying the TAROT for 25+ years and have given readings to both the Famous and Non-Famous alike.<br />I have NEVER charged for a reading....<br />I studied extensively with Shekhinah Mountainwater<br />(1939-2007) from 1998 thru 2000. I was ordained as a Priestess in 1999.<br /><br /><br />QUIZILLA<br />CHECK OUT MY QUIZZES, POETRY, &amp; POLLS:<br />http://www.quizilla.com/users/6CentsRose/

Posted 08 February 2007 - 05:18 PM

Hi VB!
Those are a lot of questions so i will only try to answer 1.
I am sure the other wise folks at GV will have a lot to contribute... :)

How does one go about finding out who their power/totem animals are?

As mentioned in an earlier post, one can certainly meditate and/or take a shamanic journey to visit the realms of spirit and meet one's animal guide/s.

Another approach that i have found very useful and informative over the years is a Book/Card set called:
Medicine Cards~
The Discovery of Power Through the Ways of the Animals
- Jamie Sams & David Carson
I think you might like it!
~Bellarose ;)

#6 whiskeysuicide

whiskeysuicide

Villager

• PipPipPip
  • 158 posts
  • Interests:. joe strummer &lt;3 . the clash . the mescarleros . this rockin' world . reggae . elvis . kitty-cats . riots . supernatural . vampires. faeries . aliens . jurassic park . ghosts . graveyards . ramen noodles . my love. yer face . ATHF . DBZ . chalupas . animals . halloween . ookie spookie things . saving the world .

Posted 09 February 2007 - 06:28 PM

Very interesting post, Whiskey.

I, like Moon, have no idea what my power animal/animal totem would be and Iím sure some others would not, either. Frankly, Iím not even sure what they are. :wow: So, I have a few questions for you:

1. Is there a difference between a power animal and an animal totem? Or, are they both the same thing? same thing, the kind i am tlaking about is for every individual, there are also animal totems for clans/families.
2. What are power animals/animal totems? they are like spirit giudes
3. In what spiritual realm are p.a./a.t. acknowledged? (Meaning: are p.a./a.t. acknowledged in Native American spiritual beliefs or some other form of belief system? Or, are they used for meditational purposes in general?). native Americans do use power animals, and they are like spirit guides
4. How does one go about finding what their personal p.a./a.t. is? i found mine through meditation
5. What influence does our p.a./a.t. have in our lives (both positive and negative influences)?
6. How many p.a./a.t. does a person have? it depends who you are, i just know right now that one of mine is an owl i could end up having more, and they can change depending on what your life path may be at that time.

I hope I donít sound silly with my questions; I am merely curious about this. :vampire:

Viv

how i find mine was fairly similar to what some people use to find their spirit guides, (which is basically what your power animal is)

Edited by whiskeysuicide, 09 February 2007 - 06:29 PM.

Superior Galactic Grandma, after eatinga block of cheese, smoking three packsof cigarettes, and drinking a quart of milk... disgusting, that's the word ...R.I.P. Adam Sanders & Steve Harmonilove&missyouboth

#7 Vivienne_DuBois

Vivienne_DuBois

Village Elder

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 625 posts

Posted 11 February 2007 - 07:00 PM

Thanks, BellaRose and Whiskey, for the helpful info. :)

Viv

#8 ravenhecate

ravenhecate

Senior Villager

• PipPipPipPip
  • 470 posts
  • Interests:Art, Paganism, Animals

Posted 12 February 2007 - 01:59 AM

My power animal is a wolf, but I also have a cougar, and a raven (of course). So I guess it is possible to have more than one power animal, because I do.

Raven
Posted ImagePosted Image

#9 BellaRose

BellaRose

Village Elder

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 717 posts
  • Interests:My SON (the Sunshine of my Life!!!!), Reading,<br />Bellydancing, My Pets, Sharing Information.<br /><br />ROSE &amp; THE TAROT<br />I have been studying the TAROT for 25+ years and have given readings to both the Famous and Non-Famous alike.<br />I have NEVER charged for a reading....<br />I studied extensively with Shekhinah Mountainwater<br />(1939-2007) from 1998 thru 2000. I was ordained as a Priestess in 1999.<br /><br /><br />QUIZILLA<br />CHECK OUT MY QUIZZES, POETRY, &amp; POLLS:<br />http://www.quizilla.com/users/6CentsRose/

Posted 12 February 2007 - 10:57 AM

Oh YES!
You can definately have more than 1 power animal...
A totem is made up of different animals.

Some animals seem to serve you (as guides) your whole life, while others are transitory and appear or disappear during different periods in one's lifetime.

~Bellarose :whee:

#10 spiritalk

spiritalk

Senior Villager

• PipPipPipPip
  • 341 posts

Posted 12 February 2007 - 11:12 AM

We can learn a lot from the animals that cross our paths. Animal Speak by Ted Andrews is an interesting represenatation of animals.

God bless, J

#11 BellaRose

BellaRose

Village Elder

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 717 posts

Posted 12 February 2007 - 02:10 PM

Animal Wise ~ Ted Andrews
(Follow up to Animal Speak)

#12 Mistteak

Mistteak

Junior Villager

• PipPip
  • 125 posts
  • Interests:horses<br />animals<br />ghosts<br />this site

Posted 14 February 2007 - 02:20 PM

That is true, your power animal or animal guide may be with you all your life, or just there to guide you to a decision or help with an issue, they may be a diety or god in discuise .. horses are a big one for me (suprise suprise) but when i do some serious meditation, it is a wolf that does the guiding ..

interesting dont you think?

#13 Yosei

Yosei

Thinks bats and skeletons are.....CUTE?

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,560 posts

Posted 14 February 2007 - 02:28 PM

I seem to have a trio of (or one triune aspected?) scorpions who sometimes guide me in meditation.
"I could die a thousand times, but I'll always be here..."---Rozz Williams"It's not the sound of a new generation, it is the noise of a degenerate nation...the Nightmare of the American Dream..."---DomianaNeed gifts for goths? Handmade jewelry, clothing, porcelain & more! http://www.accentuateyourlook.com

#14 GiaCat21

GiaCat21

Senior Villager

• PipPipPipPip
  • 426 posts
  • Interests:I love to sleep!!! I also enjoy reading, some of my favorite authors would be Stephen King, Anne Rice, and Edgar Allen Poe. My favorite tv shows are Ghost Hunters, America's Most Haunted, I Shouldn't be Alive, anything on the Discovery Health Channel, Myth Busters, Desperate Houswives, Grey's Anatomy, House, American Idol, Trading Spouses, The Simpsons, Family Guy, King of the Hill. But I obviously don't watch any tv. I also enjoy making new, pretty medic alert braclets, and earrings.

Posted 17 February 2007 - 11:56 PM

Whoops, I am not sure of mine, can we have vampires for a totem? :) Whirly Dude

Have you read "The Vampire Lestat" series by Anne Rice (I everytime I see your posts I think of those books particulary "Interview With a Vampire.")? Just curious... So sorry to veer off topic for a moment...
Love life.

#15 Bluemooncat

Bluemooncat

Villager

• PipPipPip
  • 274 posts
  • Interests:Art, books, creative writing, ghost stories, animals, working on my house.<br />I've been interested in ghosts for years now and have quite a collection of ghost stories, however not very many of them have happened to me. I have only a handful of personal experiances.<br />

Posted 18 February 2007 - 01:52 PM

I have a few totem/power animals and I'm not entierly sure how I got them, nor can I tell you how I discovered them save that they "feel" right and have acted as guides.
Coyote is a personal favorit and guide. (my true "totem" I think)
Fox is our family guide (we see him when things are going well)
I have recetently reconected with Turtles as a symbol.
and I have an affinity for Dogs and Cats, which seems to embody a polarity I find within myself
and of course I have an affection for Ravens. There are Corvids EVERYWHERE where I live and I talk to them a lot. I don't alsways get a response but they seem open to conversation.
I see them as more giudes and indicators rather than a personal totem though.
All though when we first moved into our house and my neighbor came to visit she saw the cheesy prop raven we had on our bed post and exclaimed "So that's why there are crows around your house now!"
So I guess either they moved in when we did or the poor woman just isn't that observant. :)
My cat is weirder than your cat. -bumpersticker

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users