#1 MoonChild

MoonChild

Undead giant that feasts on hotdogs!

• Town Council
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 50,397 posts
  • Interests:Life

Posted 26 June 2005 - 10:08 AM

The purpose of this thread is to share interesting information about the things in the place where you live, or the places that you know of. It could be historical/geographical information. The idea is to share the knowledge, and help people know about something special. This discussion could be something like a knowledge pool of things that intrest you. You can provide external links, share your stories and pictures.
Posted Image

#2 MoonChild

MoonChild

• Town Council
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 50,397 posts

Posted 26 June 2005 - 10:39 AM

I shall start with an extravagant event in our state which has attracted millions of tourists world-wide, called Trissur Pooram. Trissur is the name of the town, and Pooram is a Malayalam (local language of the state, Kerala) word which means - temple festival.

This is the most colourful temple-festivals in the state, if not in the whole world. This is conducted by three major temples, and main attraction of the event are the thirty elephants in full constume (as per our tradition), the event called "kudamattom" (exchange of umbreallas on the top of elephants) and the display of pyrotechnics, which is the largest in India. The festival is held in the main temple ground by two rival factions (the other two major participators). Each faction has around 15 elephants each, and they are placed facing each other. This festival is held in the month of "Medam" which falls in April/May every year. Check out some of the photographs:

The complete ornaments that is put on the elephants:
Posted Image

The elephants of the major participating temple:
Posted Image

Posted Image
Posted Image

#3 Cyn

Cyn

Has a thing for owls

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,778 posts
  • Interests:I love to cook and try new and different recipes. I adore animals of all kinds. Music is another great love of mine. Paranormal and metaphysical subjects of all kinds. Nature, drawing and painting, writing, photography, reading. I am learning how to knit...but I'm not very good at it. The list is endless. The one thing that I don't have a big love for is sports. I wish I could like it, but just can't get into it for some reason.

Posted 26 June 2005 - 12:29 PM

Wow,

How interesting Moon! Thanks for sharing. I enjoyed the pictures. So beautiful and colorful! Do the elephants behave themselves? :Wall:
Beyond a wholesome discipline, be gentle with yourself. You are a child of the universe, no less than the trees and the stars, you have a right to be here. And whether or not it is clear to you, no doubt the universe is unfolding as it should.Posted Image

#4 MoonChild

MoonChild

• Town Council
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 50,397 posts

Posted 26 June 2005 - 12:58 PM

Do the elephants behave themselves? :Wall:

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Better than humans :wow:
Posted Image

#5 Cyn

Cyn

Has a thing for owls

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,778 posts
  • Interests:I love to cook and try new and different recipes. I adore animals of all kinds. Music is another great love of mine. Paranormal and metaphysical subjects of all kinds. Nature, drawing and painting, writing, photography, reading. I am learning how to knit...but I'm not very good at it. The list is endless. The one thing that I don't have a big love for is sports. I wish I could like it, but just can't get into it for some reason.

Posted 26 June 2005 - 01:02 PM

Do the elephants behave themselves? :Wall:

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Better than humans :wow:

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I believe it!
:lol:
Beyond a wholesome discipline, be gentle with yourself. You are a child of the universe, no less than the trees and the stars, you have a right to be here. And whether or not it is clear to you, no doubt the universe is unfolding as it should.Posted Image

#6 Alsie R.

Alsie R.

Professional fist eater

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,439 posts
  • Interests:typical teenager...crazy, lazy, sarcastic chick with a lightning fast wit and temper. i am ALSIE GIRL! defender of truth, justice, and replacing the toliet paper roll!<br /><br /> seriously though. i like reading, writing, sleeping, rocking out, trying to find someone to sell my little sister to, and speech team.

Posted 27 June 2005 - 08:27 PM

well freeport's nowhere near as interesting as india but i'll give this a shot.

for american history nuts, freeport illinois is the origin of the freeport doctrine, set up in one of the lincoln douglas debates in the 1850s. "During 1858 Debate, Abraham Lincoln asked Stephen Douglas if the citizens of a Territory allowing slavery could vote to ban slavery upon entry into the Union as a aState. Douglas replied that the citizens could make that choice, a position which caused a split in Douglas' Party in the 1860 Presidential Election when a Third Party Southern candidate opposed Presidential Nominee Douglas, and helping to ensure Lincoln's election as President, a triggering event for the southern states to attempt to secede from the Union" (copied that from the internet of course)

we're also pretzel city u.s.a. our high school's mascot is the freeport pretzels, and to my knowlege, we're the only school in the country that is the pretzels. we were on the today show when bush choked on a pretzel. a proud moment.

we're also home to the winnesheik community theater, which is the older community theater in illinois.

calista flockhart of ally mcbeal was born here, so was the founder of BET.

we're a pretty goshdarn exciting place now aren't we?

much <3 from pretzel city,
alsie
A long, long time agoI can still rememberHow that music used to make me smileAnd I knew if I had my chanceThat I could make those people danceAnd maybe they'd be happy for a whileAmerican Pie, Don McLean~ carpe diem, seize the day, make your lives extraordinary.-dead poet's society i eat emo kids for breakfast. with french fried hash browns.

#7 cathylj73

cathylj73

Village Elder

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,027 posts
  • Interests:Animals, paranormal, Kids

Posted 27 June 2005 - 09:32 PM

Connecticut was the "home" of the Amistad affair that the Steven Spielburg movie was about.

In February of 1839, Portuguese slave hunters abducted a large group of Africans from Sierra Leone and shipped them to Havana, Cuba, a center for the slave trade. This abduction violated all of the treaties then in existence. Fifty-three Africans were purchased by two Spanish planters and put aboard the Cuban schooner Amistad for shipment to a Caribbean plantation. On July 1, 1839, the Africans seized the ship, killed the captain and the cook, and ordered the planters to sail to Africa. On August 24, 1839, the Amistad was seized off Long Island, NY, by the U.S. brig Washington. The planters were freed and the Africans were imprisoned in New Haven, CT, on charges of murder. Although the murder charges were dismissed, the Africans continued to be held in confinement as the focus of the case turned to salvage claims and property rights. President Van Buren was in favor of extraditing the Africans to Cuba. However, abolitionists in the North opposed extradition and raised money to defend the Africans. Claims to the Africans by the planters, the government of Spain, and the captain of the brig led the case to trial in the Federal District Court in Connecticut. The court ruled that the case fell within Federal jurisdiction and that the claims to the Africans as property were not legitimate because they were illegally held as slaves. The case went to the Supreme Court in January 1841, and former President John Quincy Adams argued the defendants' case. Adams defended the right of the accused to fight to regain their freedom. The Supreme Court decided in favor of the Africans, and 35 of them were returned to their homeland. The others died at sea or in prison while awaiting trial.

Here is just a little history on Connecticut. Amistad was based right here.

Connecticut got it name from : Did you know the name "Connecticut" is an Algonquian Indian word? It means "long river" and refers to the Connecticut River.
Posted ImagePosted Image(facebook) cathyld73@yahoo.com

#8 snoopymom

snoopymom

Village Elder

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,047 posts

Posted 27 June 2005 - 10:38 PM

Well I live in Fremont Michigan - home of . . . Gerber Baby Food!!! The Gerber Family turned the local canning factory into a baby food factory - one that is now VERY well known.
http://www.fremontco...out/history.php

At the end of July Fremont also hosts the National Baby Food Festival. Our town of a normal 4500 is transformed into a national attraction, and is highlighted with a visit from the "real" Gerber Baby!
http://www.babyfoodfest.com/
I think I've discovered the secret of life - you just hang around until you get used to it. --Charles SchulzPosted Image

#9 MoonChild

MoonChild

• Town Council
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 50,397 posts

Posted 28 June 2005 - 12:51 AM

wow, now it is getting intresting!
Posted Image

#10 Vampchick21

Vampchick21

Looks Irish, loves Italian food, lives in Canada....must be lost

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,995 posts
  • Interests:knitting, crocheting, writing, cats, paranormal phenomena, cryptzoology, Monty Python

Posted 28 June 2005 - 09:12 PM

Toronto, Ontario, Canada.

Mega City of 5 + million people. You name a country, a culture, a language, a religion, and it is here. I've often said that I don't need to spend the money to travel the world, as the world is right here.

We have a variety of festivals and parades almost all year long that highlight our various communities and ethnic groups. People come from all over to see, for example, the Caribana Parade on the August long weekend, which celebrates West Indian cultures.

We have one of the biggest Gay Pride parades and festivals around.

We have the longest street in the entire world, Yonge Street, which starts at Lake Ontario and ends at the Ontario/Manitoba boarder.

We were the first capital of the colony of Canada, prior to the shift to Ottawa, and during the war of 1812, American forces burned down the Parliment buildings located at the bottom of what is now Parliment street..this was after they captured Fort York (which still stands and is a tourist attraction on our lakefront).

We are where Ambrose Small disappeared from. He was never found and continues to be a fascinating mystery.

The seat that John Derringer sat in at the Chicago theater on his last night on earth now is in one of our old theatres, that Chicago movie theater having for some reason sold all their seating to our theatre while renovating. (I'll dig up which theatre has them...but I *think* it's the Royal Alexander Theatre on King Street West)

We have the tallest free standing structure in the world. The CN Tower.

We are the location of the Rebellion of Upper Canada in 1837 (which was more of a mob of angry farmers than a proper rebellion, and everyone got pardoned later (including some of my own ancestors)....typically Canadian)

We survived SARS. Twice. In one spring.

Krafted with luv

by monsters

#11 CatSlave852

CatSlave852

• Pip
  • 9 posts
  • Interests:Member of a paranormal research group in Western New York for a little over a year now. Most interested in spirit photography &amp; EVP. Also owned by 5 cats, no husband, no kids (just furry ones). Secretary for an Army Reserve Headquarters, G-1 Section (Personnel), for 30 years. Also work part-time at an answering service (for 16 years). Favorite haunted location is Gettysburg. I most like investigating private homes. Public facilities are cool, but often more hype than real. We've found a lot of very cool activity in private residences, with something definitely dark &amp; demonic in one very scary home.

Posted 15 July 2005 - 02:31 PM

I live in Rochester, NY - also known as the Flower City for the lilacs in Highland Park & the rose garden in Maplewood Park, it was once referred to as the Flour City for all the flour mills. Built on both sides of the Genesee River, which empties into Lake Ontario, it is the home of Kodak, Xerox, & Bausch & Lomb.

We got a ferry here last year to go between Rochester & Toronto, which promptly went bankrupt. :Wall:

It's just recently back in operation - after a lot of promises, money lost & people disappointed. The City of Rochester bought it & hired an experienced ferry company to run it. Who knows - maybe it'll work this time.

Rochester & the area around it is also known for it's high spiritual & paranormal activity. Not far from here, the Fox sisters started spiritualism & mediumship. The author Mason Winfield calls this area the Western Door.

It certainly has great potential from some very remarkable paranormal investigations.

:whee:

Sandy
http://www.wnyparanormal.com
"A cat sees no good reason why it should obey another animal, even if it does stand on two legs." (Sarah Thompson)Cats: http://www.flippysca...om/cats101.htmlGhosts: http://www.wnyparanormal.com

#12 grendel

grendel

Village Elder

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,753 posts
  • Interests:Fishing, Movies, Work, Kung Fu, Sci-Fi, Going to bed as the sun rises, eating, breathing, bathing (on occasion), Nature...and so on and so on....

Posted 15 July 2005 - 08:21 PM

I shall start with an extravagant event in our state which has attracted millions of tourists world-wide, called Trissur Pooram. Trissur is the name of the town, and Pooram is a Malayalam (local language of the state, Kerala) word which means - temple festival.

This is the most colourful temple-festivals in the state, if not in the whole world. This is conducted by three major temples, and main attraction of the event are the thirty elephants in full constume (as per our tradition), the event called "kudamattom" (exchange of umbreallas on the top of elephants) and the  display of pyrotechnics, which is the largest in India. The festival is held in the main temple ground by two rival factions (the other two major participators). Each faction has around 15 elephants each, and they are placed facing each other. This festival is held in the month of "Medam" which falls in April/May every year. Check out some of the photographs:

The complete ornaments that is put on the elephants:
Posted Image

The elephants of the major participating temple:
Posted Image

Posted Image

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Wow, did you take those photos Moon? Those are great. I realliy like the ornaments. It is really stunning to see stuff like that. (considering where I live- we dont have elephants that are ornamented) You should be proud of those photo's they are of really good quality.
I'm just a very well-paid juvenile delinquent -Al Jorgensen of MinistryIf we moved in next door your lawn would die -Lemmy of MotorheadThe only reason we wore sunglasses onstage was because we couldn't stand the sight of the audience - John Cale of The Velvet Underground--------------------------------------------------http://fotofight.com...um_home/Dewlso/--------------------------------------------------

#13 grendel

grendel

Village Elder

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,753 posts
  • Interests:Fishing, Movies, Work, Kung Fu, Sci-Fi, Going to bed as the sun rises, eating, breathing, bathing (on occasion), Nature...and so on and so on....

Posted 15 July 2005 - 08:24 PM

Not to sound depressing but the area I live in was featured on a 60 minutes episode entitled Meth on the Mountain. (other than the drugs and lawless cops) it really is a beautiful place. Crossville Tennessee - The Golf Capital of Tennessee. (woo hoo -sarcasm)
I'm just a very well-paid juvenile delinquent -Al Jorgensen of MinistryIf we moved in next door your lawn would die -Lemmy of MotorheadThe only reason we wore sunglasses onstage was because we couldn't stand the sight of the audience - John Cale of The Velvet Underground--------------------------------------------------http://fotofight.com...um_home/Dewlso/--------------------------------------------------

#14 MoonChild

MoonChild

• Town Council
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 50,397 posts

Posted 24 February 2006 - 01:27 AM

a few more pictures of my home town, Cochin.

Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image

#15 Vampchick21

Vampchick21

Looks Irish, loves Italian food, lives in Canada....must be lost

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,995 posts
  • Interests:knitting, crocheting, writing, cats, paranormal phenomena, cryptzoology, Monty Python

Posted 26 February 2006 - 07:39 PM

Oh Moon! Cochin is STUNNING!

Krafted with luv

by monsters

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users