the bridewater triangle

• Please log in to reply
16 replies to this topic

#1 robofish

robofish

• Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 05 March 2007 - 08:58 PM

the bridgewater triangle is located in south eastern massachusetts .most of it is in bridgewater thus the name.is anybody here familar with it and does anybody know of any tours ?

Edited by robofish, 05 March 2007 - 09:00 PM.

#2 Roxie Z

Roxie Z

Junior Villager

• PipPip
  • 82 posts

Posted 06 March 2007 - 06:01 PM

Here's a recent article from the Taunton Gazette...

Life in the Bridgewater Triangle
By DINO CILIBERTI Managing Editor
05/14/2006

I live in a triangle.

It's an area of 200 square miles.

This is a hot spot in Massachusetts for paranormal activity.

It's a place of Indian curses, ghostly apparitions, cattle mutilations, Bigfoot creatures and low-flying UFOs.

And I live right in the heart of it.

It's the Bridgewater Triangle.

Most of us are actually living in it too.

The triangle, not as heralded in folklore as the Bermuda Triangle, encompasses the Bridgewaters, Raynham, Taunton, Brockton, Mansfield, Norton, Easton with Abington, Freetown and Rehoboth at its angles.

According to legend, numerous sightings attributed to the triangle include gigantic snakes, huge birds and creatures that leave 18-inch footprints and are known as Bigfoot.

A researcher named Loren Coleman first described this area in the 1970s, when numerous sightings of UFOs were reported.

In one report, two huge UFOs landed on Route 44 in Taunton in December 1976. Another one was spotted in Bridgewater in late 1997. And then came another report a year later of a UFO near Route 44 in Middleboro.

The main location of the triangle is what's called the Hockomock Swamp.

Native American Indians called it the "devil's swamp" because that's where spirits lived. It's a huge swamp too - at 5,000 acres one of the largest in the Northeast.

Several websites are devoted to this mysterious triangle and for anyone who is interested in the paranormal, the stories are intriguing.

Sometimes I find myself looking at the sky when I drive home at night, looking for a glimpse of light that might be a UFO. I'll catch a light off the pond near my home and wonder. The same goes with the nearby lake.

Could these reports be true?

Could paranormal activity be going on right under our noses? Or is it just folklore, stories passed down to send a chill down a spine and make us ask whether we are really alone in the universe.

Who knows.

But the stories about the Bridgewater Triangle put together by Christopher Pittman on his website explaining what is the Bridgewater Triangle is worth a read.

The swamp is really where paranormal activity goes off the charts.

That's where Bigfoot has been spotted many times, either entering or exiting the area. In 1970, according to legend, Bridgewater police and State Police used attack dogs to search the area.

But they came up empty.

Even as recently as four years ago came reports about UFOs.

They were reported as black helicopters. But those helicopters have also been associated with UFO lore since the 1970s.

Maybe the area is haunted? Some say it is cursed.

The triangle extends to Dighton where there is a rock that also has been reported to prompt paranormal activity.

Some of these paranormal chasers - or ghostbusters - have even stayed overnight seeking to unearth the mysteries of the triangle.

They have also come up empty.

We might never know whether these stories are true. But these legends are worth sharing and passing down over the years. These folklore stories help inspire and intrigue.

So maybe this 200-square-foot mile area is haunted. Maybe there's something special going on there that we yet to have our finger on.

We can only imagine. And that's what's great about these stories.

We can let our imaginations run wild.

dciliberti@tauntongazette.com
Bestselling Local Author & Proprietor of New England Curiosities Tours & Events. Experience local legends, lore and mystery. New England CuriositiesPosted Image

#3 Moonstruck

Moonstruck

Village Elder

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 606 posts

Posted 06 March 2007 - 08:03 PM

Hi,

I am from Freetown/Assonet Mass and this is the first I have heard of this triangle and I am definately going to check out this sight! Thanks for posting it.

I have never told anyone this, but here goes.

My friend and were driving down the back country roads one night very late. No cars around. Of coarse not one street light in the town at the time. (20 years ago) We noticed a very low flying object and it started following the car. Thinking that it couldn't possible be anything unidentified (skeptic at the time) we just kept going and it got closer and lower and we started getting nervous and sped up. It kept right up with us and we became so alarmed that I came to a screeching halt, turned the car around and sped in the opposite direction. It then did the same manuvuer and now we are hysterical and decided to drive to the only lit area for miles, the high school. We pull into the parking lot not knowing what to do. It stops about 200 feet in front of us then in a second, whooshes off out of sight. We just sat there in disbelief. I will never forget it.

So news of this triangle is very intriging to me.

#4 RON3002

RON3002

Senior Villager

• PipPipPipPip
  • 387 posts

Posted 07 March 2007 - 07:15 AM

Spent many a night 4-wheeling in parts of the triangle.Very desolate and spooky at night.Never had an experience in there but wouldnt doubt that "creatures" may exist in parts ,so many parts are inacessible due to overgrowth or quick mud .

Edited by RON3002, 07 March 2007 - 07:15 AM.

RON

#5 Moonstruck

Moonstruck

Village Elder

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 606 posts

Posted 07 March 2007 - 08:42 AM

I don't know if anyone knows of the Freetown State forrest but it's very large and has many trails for bike riding, four wheeling and the like. They have dog sledding in the winter and hay rides at Halloween. I am terrified whenever I have entered that forrest. I have such a sense of urgency to leave. Growing up in the country, kids have to find thier own fun and it's usually outside at a "pit party" or in the forrest barnfires etc. We would take thrill rides in the car through the forrest on the fire roads and I would hide in the backseat until we were out and onto the main road. Then there was the murder of a woman who was tied to a tree in that forrest. Wild packs of stray dogs. All together spooky.

#6 wishfulthinkin07

wishfulthinkin07

Junior Villager

• PipPip
  • 27 posts
  • Interests:anything supernatural, Wicca, music, guitars, books, etc.

Posted 08 March 2007 - 01:08 AM

Hmm...when my partner was a child, she and her father camped out somewhere within the boundaries of the Bridgewater Triangle. She says that during the night, they saw a UFO in the sky. And it wasn't as if it was miles away. To them, it looked pretty close.
Merry Part and Blessed Be!

#7 Skeptic Believer

Skeptic Believer

Junior Villager

• PipPip
  • 26 posts

Posted 05 April 2007 - 09:24 PM

I've lived on the edge of the Hockomock for 40 years. Never seen or heard anything unusual or supernatural. The murder in the Freetown forest was the Mary Lou Arruda case, it occurred around 1975 or 76 I think. Nothing supernatural about that, just a sick individual. Lots of critters out there though. I've seen deer, fox, coyote, wolf, snapping turtles a whole bunch of birds and other assorted creatures. Some good hunting when in season.

#8 Corey

Corey

Junior Villager

• PipPip
  • 144 posts

Posted 07 May 2007 - 02:18 PM

I'm in the beginning stages of a research project involving the Hockomock and reported Sasquatch sightings. I went out there yesterday for an initial walk thru. I jumped on the abandoned railroad bed and walked in quite a ways. I've been hunting for over 20 years and have seen alot of woods. This area is very very thick. It's going to take awhile to figure out how to cover this area, but I'll keep you posted if there are any results.

#9 levi

levi

Junior Villager

• PipPip
  • 50 posts
  • Interests:ghost hunting, roadtrips, playing guitar, horror movies, and being me.

Posted 26 May 2007 - 08:15 PM

I can't zen drive in the Bridge water triangle to save my life. Any where else I don't need a map. But in there I can lost in parking lot for hours.
Sign says "next sign 30 miles."

#10 chewie413

chewie413

Junior Villager

• PipPip
  • 24 posts

Posted 09 June 2007 - 11:03 AM

I'd love to inveastiagte ev ery single foot of that area

#11 rayzrwyre

rayzrwyre

Village Elder

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 749 posts
  • Interests:I am interested in intelligent conversations with like-minded people who share a fascination with all things paranormal........now where would I find such wonderful people like that???

Posted 11 June 2007 - 03:19 PM

Man, why can't we have cool places like that down here in the South!? All I got is the occasional haunted house and some strange railroad lights, not a whole dang triangle of activity! I am thinking of filing a grievance, just not sure with whom!! LOL!
"Excuse me while I slip out of these wet clothes and into a dry martini!" - Groucho Marx

#12 Corey

Corey

Junior Villager

• PipPip
  • 144 posts

Posted 07 October 2007 - 02:12 AM

Came back alive from an overnight in the Hock a couple of weekends ago. It's going to take alot of work and alot of trips out there to really see what goes on. I'm primarily a Sasquatch researcher, and there's quite a bit of information out there as fas as thats concerned but I have a plan in the works, lets see what you folks think.
What I'd like to do is set up a date and time for folks to come and relate any Sasquatch related stories or encounters they may have had. With this information I will try and see if any patterns present themselves as far as locations, times of the year, and time of the day. If your interested please visit the website www.TeamNESRA.net/drupal NESRA is the NorthEast Sasquatch Researchers Association. We are a small but dedicated group of researchers and investigators that cover the northeast part of the country. We currently have members in Ma. Ct. Ny. Nj. Va. Ri. and other states as well. Drop by for updates on my progress in the Hockomock.

#13 Skeptic Believer

Skeptic Believer

Junior Villager

• PipPip
  • 26 posts

Posted 12 October 2007 - 11:16 PM

Came back alive from an overnight in the Hock a couple of weekends ago. It's going to take alot of work and alot of trips out there to really see what goes on. I'm primarily a Sasquatch researcher, and there's quite a bit of information out there as fas as thats concerned but I have a plan in the works, lets see what you folks think.
What I'd like to do is set up a date and time for folks to come and relate any Sasquatch related stories or encounters they may have had. With this information I will try and see if any patterns present themselves as far as locations, times of the year, and time of the day. If your interested please visit the website www.TeamNESRA.net/drupal NESRA is the NorthEast Sasquatch Researchers Association. We are a small but dedicated group of researchers and investigators that cover the northeast part of the country. We currently have members in Ma. Ct. Ny. Nj. Va. Ri. and other states as well. Drop by for updates on my progress in the Hockomock.

An overnight in the Hockomock! Well good thing it's been a dry summer, the mosquitos would have bled you dry if we had rain.

#14 typhonx11787

typhonx11787

• Pip
  • 4 posts
  • Interests:Music, Paranormal Investigation

Posted 26 July 2008 - 08:58 PM

Anyone have any info about the murders in the freetown state forest? My friend who i posted about earlier was out there recently. She tells me that the story goes along the lines that there was an old stop and shop, or a plant or something of that sort that starts the mouth of this one dirt road. There was a very twisted employee who would hide in the back woods and slash the tires of people who would travel the road. Note that this happened in the 70s or 80s. Anyhow, It turned out that he was murdering these people and hiding the bodies in the woods. She tells me that she found a web site that offered a grid to show you where the bodies where found(if anyone knows the site, I'm hunting it down badly). The catch is, I can't find any real info on this story. There are many murders that took place, the Aruda case being the most famous. One is the Drew case that claims a pimp murdered 3 prostitutes in a satanic ritual. But for the life of me i can't find this one story anywhere. I'm waiting on the road name and any other info from her. More than likly i'll have that info tomorrow and will share it with you all. One thing is for sure, Freetown state forest is one place that has alot going on. Ufo sightings, Cattle mutilations, alleged cult activity, murders and so much more. even the Wamanoag claim that their ancestors cursed the the swamp in revenge against the early settlers. I Urge anyone who is interested in the triangle to visit profile rock, part of freetown state forest, located in assonet. I was only at the mouth of the path and felt a great sence of unease along with my crew. And as for my Bigfoot hunting friend, I've been researching that area alot the past few days, and there's a wealth of info as far as bigfoot sightings in that area. Good Luck Everyone.
Blessed be, May peace be with you,
SMX

#15 Kira

Kira

Village Elder

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,281 posts
  • Interests:Intellectual discussions about anything as long everyone respects all opinions given.<br /><br />My dogs, cooking, studying (yes), painting and decorating, and learning something new almost every day that I visit Ghostvillage.

Posted 26 July 2008 - 09:50 PM

SMX,

If you go to Grant and Jason (of TAPS) website for their radio show, Beyond REality, they recently interviewed an author who is in the process of writing a book about Freetown State Forest. You can listen to the entire interview in the radio show archives and also order the book. Just type in Beyond Reality with Grant and Jason in Google and the site will come up as one of the choices. Great interview. Good luck with getting information. The radio interview was very interesting; there's a lot of nasty stuff going on in that park from cults to gangs to mobs and just about anything else you can imagine. It's a bad, bad place at night. Apparently during the day it is a great park, but at night the bad people come out and do nasty things.

Good luck in your endeavors SMX,
Kira
The Power of 8 Make Your Wishes Come True!<-Click Here Now

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users