• Please log in to reply
18 replies to this topic

#1 Yosei

Yosei

Thinks bats and skeletons are.....CUTE?

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,560 posts

Posted 10 March 2007 - 07:24 PM

This may seem like a dumb thing, but I'm totally clueless about this.

How does one obtain a good street map of a city w/o actually being in that city? Or do they sell them in airports? I'm going to be going on my first ever out-of-state trip in about three weeks time, and, though I'm pretty good at following maps, I have a truly pathetic sense of direction( doubtless made worse by a propensity for panicking) without one. I'm one of those people who avoids the mall because I get lost in it, and to make matters worse, the city is L.A., which has a reputation for being highly confusing(?). I thought about printing a bunch of Mapquest screenshots, but aside from the fact that I have to pay 10 cents a sheet and stand in line for that until I get a working printer to go with my new net connection, I'm also unsure of being able to piece them together correctly. ( I may print a couple of screenshots for an extra closeup of places I KNOW I want to go) So, is there a place where one goes to purchase maps, or what should I do? :)
"I could die a thousand times, but I'll always be here..."---Rozz Williams"It's not the sound of a new generation, it is the noise of a degenerate nation...the Nightmare of the American Dream..."---DomianaNeed gifts for goths? Handmade jewelry, clothing, porcelain & more! http://www.accentuateyourlook.com

#2 cathylj73

cathylj73

Village Elder

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,027 posts
  • Interests:Animals, paranormal, Kids

Posted 10 March 2007 - 08:02 PM

You can pick up maps at Barns and Noble. If it was a bit farther down the road I would tell you to call the town hall there were you are going and they would send you maps for free! (county office) I do this all the time.
have a great trip
Posted ImagePosted Image(facebook) cathyld73@yahoo.com

#3 Laurie Ann

Laurie Ann

Your imagination IS running off with you!

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,025 posts
  • Interests:I love to do yard work, re-arrange my home constantly, draw and get tattoos that have significant meaning to me, garage sales/yard sales fanatic. My home is haunted by I believe 2 spirits, so I'm never alone when everyone is asleep! I'm trying to label the gifts I have, although I try to keep them a secret from my husband..he wouldn't understand. My 20 year old is now living on his own and does so great! My 6 year old is a little me, and the baby will be 5 December. He's about 8-12 months behind, but that smile...that beautiful smile.

Posted 10 March 2007 - 08:19 PM

~I was also going to suggest that maybe the town you're going to has a "Welcome Center" that can send you free maps as well. How exciting!!! Your first trip to this city...I'm so happy for you!! And don't worry, it definately wasn't a dumb question as I have the same problem getting lost...I get lost in my sons high school almost every stinkin' time!!
~Women are angels...and when someone breaks our wings, we simply continue to fly...on a broomstick. We're flexible like that.~

#4 Crone

Crone

Village Elder

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 999 posts
  • Interests:Paranormal investigations, reading, crafts, Genealogy, Renaissance Faires,

Posted 10 March 2007 - 08:30 PM

If you have a local AAA office in your area, they should have maps available for the larger areas, such as LA.

I've always had good luck, though, with a good road atlas, such as the Rand McNally one, which are available just about anywhere (our drug stores even carry them). They're great for not only getting you from state to state, but they have great city maps as well.
Still crazy after all these years. ....Paul Simon.... “What you leave behind is not what is engraved in stone monuments, but what is woven into the lives of others.” ....Pericles......

#5 Yosei

Yosei

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,560 posts

Posted 11 March 2007 - 01:11 PM

Thanks, I guess I will start checking bookstores and the like, then.
"I could die a thousand times, but I'll always be here..."---Rozz Williams"It's not the sound of a new generation, it is the noise of a degenerate nation...the Nightmare of the American Dream..."---DomianaNeed gifts for goths? Handmade jewelry, clothing, porcelain & more! http://www.accentuateyourlook.com

#6 Redhead

Redhead

Village Elder

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,196 posts
  • Interests:Needlework, including counted cross stitch and knitting, reading, dogs, triking (trikes are three wheeled motorcycled if you didn't know) and flower gardening. That is besides the paranormal...

Posted 11 March 2007 - 01:39 PM

We always get maps from the State Dept. of Tourism where we are planning on going. They will also send you fliers on things to do while you are there. You just have to tell them what your interests are - museums, art galleries, shopping, attractions, etc. Most states have websites with how to get this stuff so you can either call an 800 number or email/write them.
"Never wrestle with a pig. All you get is dirty and the pig has all the fun." ~ Anon.

#7 Yosei

Yosei

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,560 posts

Posted 11 March 2007 - 01:49 PM

We always get maps from the State Dept. of Tourism where we are planning on going. They will also send you fliers on things to do while you are there. You just have to tell them what your interests are - museums, art galleries, shopping, attractions, etc. Most states have websites with how to get this stuff so you can either call an 800 number or email/write them.

But do they get it to you quick? I've only got till about the end of the month

Edit: Apparently they won't just send you a physical hard copy map now, they expect you to download it. Just what good is a PDF file supposed to do me when I'm driving?! :) I don't have a way to print that, especially not big enough to actually SEE( an 8.5x11 Map?). I guess I'd better hope my local B&N has a well-stocked atlas section.

Edited by Yosei, 11 March 2007 - 02:11 PM.

#8 thesameones

thesameones

Rude and Crude

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 991 posts

Posted 12 March 2007 - 08:19 AM

Try web searches on Chamber of Commerce and State Tourism sites. They some times will mail these free.

#9 thesameones

thesameones

Rude and Crude

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 991 posts

Posted 12 March 2007 - 08:22 AM

It usualy takes a month or two to get litature. Some sites will ask when you plan to visit. Many do send full size local and state maps. I am traveling right now and have about a dozen maps that depts. of tourism have mailed to me. It is different with each state.

#10 leslie_dragonlvr

leslie_dragonlvr

Village Elder

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,396 posts
  • Interests:Enjoying life, again.<br />Anything paranormal, mostly spiritography and spirit communication.<br />The wilderness, traveling, historical places and a beach.<br />All that involves my heart and soul.

Posted 12 March 2007 - 12:29 PM

Hey Yosei!

I'm in the L.A. area...what do you mean a rep for getting lost? LOL...just kidding!

Well hope you have a great time here. If you are renting a car, they will give you maps there too I believe. But like Thesameones suggested there are some tourist sites that will send maps and such for visitors.

Where about are you going when you get here, maybe even I can help you out in some way?

Les
Greg - You and no other - Forever and Always! Gv ge yu!

#11 Moonstruck

Moonstruck

Village Elder

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 606 posts

Posted 12 March 2007 - 12:50 PM

When I used to live in LA they used to sell these excellent maps. Don't kill me but I forget the name of the map books. However, they were extremely detailed street maps and you could get them for each county. I found them totally helpful when I moved there and depended on them. I am also the kind of person who won't go anywhere unless I know where I am going and sometimes drive there the day before so I don't get nervous. This happened as I got older and I don't know how I became like this LOL I will rack my brain to try to remember the name of them but they are easy to find once you get to LA. You can probably buy one right at the airport.

#12 Yosei

Yosei

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,560 posts

Posted 12 March 2007 - 01:06 PM

Hey Yosei!

Where about are you going when you get here, maybe even I can help you out in some way?

Les

Thanks! I just found out my hotel, according to Mapquest, is almost 14 miles from the airport and must be accessed partly on the freeway, which is a little unnerving---I am scared to death of freeway driving and have been known to have to pull over and cry for awhile when forced to do it. I get the idea that most other "must see" things will not be so hard once I get to my room. I'm staying on Sunset Blvd, which is also where the club my friend's band is playing ( my excuse for the trip---I will also be vending, so GVers in the area are invited to stop by and help me defray my travel expenses wih a purchase or two;) ) is located. I intend to visit Hollywood Forever Cemetery and hope to sneak a quick peek at a few other interesting things( recommendations?), but sadly I have only one weekend---I arrive Friday at about 5pm and my return flight leaves Monday at 1:30 pm.

P.S. The details, such as I have, about the show are posted at the bottom of the front page of my website, http://www.accentuateyourlook.com.

Edited by Yosei, 12 March 2007 - 01:10 PM.

#13 Moonstruck

Moonstruck

Village Elder

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 606 posts

Posted 12 March 2007 - 01:20 PM

http://www.maps4u.co...;OVMTC=advanced

Ok the name of those maps were Thomas Guides. Loved them.

#14 Yosei

Yosei

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,560 posts

Posted 12 March 2007 - 01:24 PM

http://www.maps4u.co...;OVMTC=advanced

Ok the name of those maps were Thomas Guides. Loved them.

Thank you, I'll check those out. :wave:

#15 Moonstruck

Moonstruck

Village Elder

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 606 posts

Posted 12 March 2007 - 01:30 PM

Also, when you get on the freeway, people drive fast so you have to know when your exit is coming up. They have the street exits overhead (if you look to the side of the highway, you can blow right past it) so you have time to get over.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users