71 replies to this topic

#1 NocturnalCantaloupe

NocturnalCantaloupe

Village Elder

• Deleted
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,293 posts

Posted 26 April 2004 - 07:48 AM

Since my weekend excursion, I've been thinking pretty deeply about this.  Why do we investigate cemeteries?  Granted, not all have "strange" activity, but why would we consider them to be locations of paranormal activity in the first place?  When I think about it intially, they seem like the ultimate place to take a nap.  These people are (probably read, "should") sleeping more peacefully than anyone could hope to on a $2500 Serta mattress. I of course have my own ideas in this, but I'd like to know everyone elses.

I'm also considering this to be a topic for the Resources section. :)

So!  Thoughts?

Is the art of life, living somewhere in between?

#2 Randy_Neutron

Randy_Neutron

Junior Villager

• PipPip
  • 20 posts

Posted 26 April 2004 - 08:35 AM

I guess we investigate cemeteries because we believe that spirits may be there to be closer to the body they used to inhabit while they were here. Also because we have always been told how 'spooky' cemeteries are. You see it in movies from the time you are a kid. Scary, spooky cemetery!

#3 ghosthunter1010

ghosthunter1010

Senior Villager

• PipPipPipPip
  • 408 posts

Posted 26 April 2004 - 09:02 AM

I feel that we investigate the cemeteries out of the wonder if the spirit lingers with the body after death.  Or does it stay were the death occured.  Or even does the spirit come back to the body like the spirit is drawn there because of the energy left behind by those who mourn the loss of that person.

#4 trudy_causey

trudy_causey

Village Elder

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 805 posts

Posted 26 April 2004 - 08:12 PM

I'm not really sure why we choose to investigate cemetaries, I just know I have some really good pics of orbs, full apparitions, ghost mist and a small vortex.I like learning about the history of the really old cemetaries. I have found one that was an old slave cemetary and now they have started using it again.

#5 whispers_of_fire

whispers_of_fire

Village Elder

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,060 posts

Posted 27 April 2004 - 08:49 AM

*Applauds question*My own take is that a cemetary is the last place a spirit senses those they loved in life, so they linger hoping for that contact again.

Do you think Spirits have a different sense of time's passage?
Remember...vote for New Orleans for our '05 Reunion...this is not a subliminal message...New Orleans! Obey Whispers of Fire! New Orleans

#6 shellas13

shellas13

Village Elder

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,626 posts

Posted 28 April 2004 - 05:03 AM

Well, I agree with all of the above, lol. Personally, for me, it's just the closest source we can get to find those that have past the 'other side'.

And good question whispers...honestly, I don't know. I think that for some ghosts, they are trapped in a perpetual time warp, without ever noticing that the outside world has changed since they've passed on. On the other hand, there are spirits that definitely DO know that times have changed, and perhaps, have even tried to adapt to them...hmm...gonna be chewin' on this thought for a while! :)

#7 whispers_of_fire

whispers_of_fire

Village Elder

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,060 posts

Posted 28 April 2004 - 08:42 AM

Good point, Shellas! There are spirits who seem to adapt to
the changing times, whether this is by observation or some other means, I don't know. I've encountered spirits from the '20's that made a reference to Ann Frank, a book written 25 years after their deaths :o
Remember...vote for New Orleans for our '05 Reunion...this is not a subliminal message...New Orleans! Obey Whispers of Fire! New Orleans

#8 krcguns

krcguns

Village Elder

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,206 posts
  • Interests:Well....investigating ghosts and finding out what lies beyond this life of course!

Posted 28 April 2004 - 10:45 AM

My main reason for hitting the old cemetery is that I feel that they are kind of a hub.  Sort of like Grand Central Station, where there are always departures and returns.  I think that also perhaps it is just familiarity with their body being planted there.  Heck, maybe they want to see if something grows.  LOL. ;D
Posted ImagePosted ImagePosted ImagePosted Image

#9 Alsie R.

Alsie R.

Professional fist eater

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,439 posts
  • Interests:typical teenager...crazy, lazy, sarcastic chick with a lightning fast wit and temper. i am ALSIE GIRL! defender of truth, justice, and replacing the toliet paper roll!<br /><br /> seriously though. i like reading, writing, sleeping, rocking out, trying to find someone to sell my little sister to, and speech team.

Posted 28 April 2004 - 02:54 PM

i think the reason i at least lurk around cemeteries is because i think ghosts stay near places of great emotions and cemeteries are places where people grieve and grief is one of the most powerful emotions there is.
A long, long time agoI can still rememberHow that music used to make me smileAnd I knew if I had my chanceThat I could make those people danceAnd maybe they'd be happy for a whileAmerican Pie, Don McLean~ carpe diem, seize the day, make your lives extraordinary.-dead poet's society i eat emo kids for breakfast. with french fried hash browns.

#10 Camille

Camille

Village Elder

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,925 posts

Posted 28 April 2004 - 03:53 PM

A good question, Akthra.

The connection between ghosts and cemeteries seems puzzling to me.  There are many more reports of hauntings at places where a person lived than where he or she is buried.  That seems consistent with the general notion that a soul leaves the body at death, which doesn't usually happen at cemeteries.  (this doesn't include older cemeteries, where people may have been buried <ahem> "before their time").   This is also consistent with some theories that ghosts "haunt" to contact the living, tho not always--some ghosts might just want to be left alone by the living and don't need to be cleansed/"shown the light", so who are we to presume?  

The grief factor is understandable, but many times when you visit a cemetery, it is practically empty, with the exception of the funeral, of course.  Also, grief can be just as powerful, if not more so, before and after the burial of a loved one.

Anway, it seems the cemetery would be the least likely place to find a ghost.

Interesting theories....
"What is wanted is not the will to believe, but the will to find out, which is the exact opposite."Bertrand Russell"You're going to go to McDonald's... you'll order an Egg McMuffin and some coffee... WAIT! They're going to forget your extra salt! Remind them to give you salt, please!!"Ed Closser, Trivial Psychic

#11 Caesar

Caesar

Village Elder

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,182 posts

Posted 07 May 2004 - 01:31 PM

(One of the main reasons for ghosthunting is to have encounters with ghosts. Sometimes however, the hunter can become the hunted. Graveyards are notorious for harboring ghosts. Are they the spirits of the dead that are buried there? Some spirits will remain in close proximity to their earthly remains in the hope they can re-enter that physical body and use it in the same way they did in life. Unfortunately, they cannot do this unless they are what we refer to as the "undead", the "sorcerer", the "Black Magician".) I got this from the Warrens cite.

#12 Camille

Camille

Village Elder

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,925 posts

Posted 07 May 2004 - 01:52 PM

Ah yessss, I've read that on their site.  No comment.   :-X
"What is wanted is not the will to believe, but the will to find out, which is the exact opposite."Bertrand Russell"You're going to go to McDonald's... you'll order an Egg McMuffin and some coffee... WAIT! They're going to forget your extra salt! Remind them to give you salt, please!!"Ed Closser, Trivial Psychic

#13 Yosei

Yosei

Thinks bats and skeletons are.....CUTE?

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,560 posts

Posted 07 May 2004 - 01:59 PM

My theory is that it's kind of like a shrine...the kind of ghosts who don't know they're dead probably wouldn't hang around a cemetery, but those who realize that it's in their honor might do so---perhaps some of them just know that it might be a good place to find ghost *hunters*, since we DO investigate cemeteries whether it's logical or not...  
"I could die a thousand times, but I'll always be here..."---Rozz Williams"It's not the sound of a new generation, it is the noise of a degenerate nation...the Nightmare of the American Dream..."---DomianaNeed gifts for goths? Handmade jewelry, clothing, porcelain & more! http://www.accentuateyourlook.com

#14 trudy_causey

trudy_causey

Village Elder

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 805 posts

Posted 07 May 2004 - 08:03 PM

all of the pics that I have are taken in cemetaries. I have orbs, myst, and a couple of full apparitions.I don't know why they stay with their earthly remains, I guess some just decide to do so or they mayy be in hopes of getting attention from their loved ones when they come.

#15 seakla

seakla

Senior Villager

• PipPipPipPip
  • 424 posts
  • Interests:My biggest interests are reading and writing. I also love to research my genealogy and love to research other little historical people or events that catch my attention. I am really getting into homespun crafts and have recently learned howe to weave a basket, make my own paper and am currently learning to carve wood. <br /><br />I am married (10 years in 2006) and have two daughters who will be 10 and 8 in 2006. We all enjoy hanging around outside in our own yard, but also are fond of grabbing a South Carolina map, looking at it and saying &quot;this looks like a cool place&quot; and we will take off and drive there. <br /><br />I also enjoy meeting other people and learning about other places and cultures and have a few penpals that I am trying to be better at writing to regularly.

Posted 08 May 2004 - 12:31 PM

My friend and I are amateur ghost hunters.  We visited a cemetary last weekend and the whole time I was thinking "why?"  I don't really believe that cemetaries would be haunted.  I think we think they are because they are eerie, and there are bodies buried six feet under.  But here are my reasons why cemetaries could not possible be haunted.

1)  Ghosts supposedly do not know that they ae dead.  So why would they haunt a place of the dead?  If they do not realize they are dead then thye won't know to seek out thier grave and haunt it.

2)  Ghosts generally haunt a place they are familiar with or the place where they died.  Unless they died or worked at the cemetary, why would they haunt it?  I could understand a caretaker haunting because it was his job in life.  And have heard a story about a dog that slept by his master's grave and when the dog died, his ghost was supposed to still be there.  That makes sense to me.

3)  A cemetary is consecrated.  The bodies interred there have been blessed and absolved of all thier fears by a religious leader.  People have said goodbye.  There is no reason for a soul to feel unrested.  If the grave is a potter's grave with no name, or the person was murdered and buried there then I could understand it.

4)  By the time the body is buried it does not resemble anything it once was.  It has been embalmed, make-up applied, lips glued shut, mouth filled with cotton, etc.  Would a ghost even realize it is its body or would the soul still be trapped in a body that has had this much done, only to find release once buried?

However...haunted cemetary stories are common, so are they true or are they just told frequently for the scare factor?
Believe and you will be rewarded~Check out my newest release: Magick for the Kitchen WitchVisit my site http://seakla.tripod.com for an autographed copy or purchase it at any online bookstore [

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users