Last Book I Read for Leisure

• Please log in to reply
57 replies to this topic

#1 aloha_spirit

aloha_spirit

I'm 100% Poi Dog!

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,534 posts
  • Interests:Computer Programming, Books, Movies, Nature, Religion.

Posted 22 March 2007 - 10:48 PM

Since we have a thread for the last movie we've seen, I thought I'd start one for books! Because of the subject matter I thought I'd set a few rules:

1. All the normal Member Guidelines apply to your review.

2. These are books you read for leisure or would recommend to others as leisure books. Do not include the book for your English Literature class, Scriptures or other religious texts, or that monster computer manual.

3. Books not suitable for teens should be labeled with a suggested age or maturity level. Also provide some reason why it's not appropriate (language, violence, etc).

Since I'm starting this thread, I guess I should go first.

In preparation for the new Harry Potter book and movie coming out this summer, I'm revisiting all the books in this series. The last book I've read this time around was Harry Potter and the Prisoner from Azkaban. I feel this book is on par with the first two for reading and comprehension level. That is to say that people as young as 10 could enjoy it. This book introduces Divination classes (discerning the future through palmistry, reading tea dredges, gazing in crystal balls, etc), so some Christians may be offended.

I give it 4 stars out of 5.

I didn't lose my mind - I have it backed up on a disk ... somewhere

#2 Bluemooncat

Bluemooncat

Villager

• PipPipPip
  • 274 posts
  • Interests:Art, books, creative writing, ghost stories, animals, working on my house.<br />I've been interested in ghosts for years now and have quite a collection of ghost stories, however not very many of them have happened to me. I have only a handful of personal experiances.<br />

Posted 23 March 2007 - 01:21 AM

I am currenty reading "Murder a' la Mode" By Patricia Moyes. It was published in 1966 and is what they call a "Cozy Mystery" I got hooked on these kinds of books a while ago and keep going back. I was always a Fantasy/ Sci-Fi fan so these are a little diffrent for me. This is one of a series and it is a lot of fun because they are older books. (P.S. LOVE the Harry Potter books! "Prisoner" is my fav.)
My cat is weirder than your cat. -bumpersticker

#3 Laurie Ann

Laurie Ann

Your imagination IS running off with you!

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,025 posts
  • Interests:I love to do yard work, re-arrange my home constantly, draw and get tattoos that have significant meaning to me, garage sales/yard sales fanatic. My home is haunted by I believe 2 spirits, so I'm never alone when everyone is asleep! I'm trying to label the gifts I have, although I try to keep them a secret from my husband..he wouldn't understand. My 20 year old is now living on his own and does so great! My 6 year old is a little me, and the baby will be 5 December. He's about 8-12 months behind, but that smile...that beautiful smile.

Posted 23 March 2007 - 07:20 AM

~Great thread, Aloha!! As I'm not really a novel reader, I have been reading a book titled "Haunted Chicago". If course I give it a 5 out of 5 stars...very good book!
~Women are angels...and when someone breaks our wings, we simply continue to fly...on a broomstick. We're flexible like that.~

#4 erato

erato

Villager

• PipPipPip
  • 218 posts
  • Interests:1. Creative writing, mostly poetry, sporadic prose and script writing... <br />2. Art, I love my pencil *lol* paints to some extent... 3. Movies (except war, mindless killing and romance *ugh*), sci-fi freak for some time now, <br />3. Will read almost anything.. from fantasy to alternative history &amp; religious texts... <br />4.Interested in meeting people with similar interests esp in the supernatural and afterlife (which is why I'm here) <br />5. Spirit cleansing and connection <br />lets see.. yep i think that covers it.. (for now). <br /> <br />If you're interested in poetry, visit my rambling site.. <br />http://of-moons-and-tongues.bebo.com/

Posted 23 March 2007 - 09:31 AM

I haven't had much time lately but the last book that I remember which I read for leisure and enjoyed would have to be 'The Pilgrimage' by Paulo Coelho. Its easy reading and is all about a man's spiritual journey to enlightenment. I enjoyed it. 4 stars. Am cross that I haven't yet gotten a hold of 'the alchemist' which is supposed to be brilliant.

Does Poetry count? Am revisiting Pablo Neruda's Captain's verses. They are so sensual and soft. definitely 5 stars.
In Peace & Light,~EratoIn morals what begins in fear usually ends in wickedness; in religion what begins in fear usually ends in fanaticism. Fear, either as a principle or a motive, is the beginning of all evil. Anna Jameson---"While I thought I was learning how to live, I have been learning how to die" Leonardo Da Vinci ---Friedrich Nietzche: "you must have chaos within you, to give birth to a dancing star" ---George Orwell: "One cannot really be a catholic and grown up" ---

#5 SpookyChick

SpookyChick

Junior Villager

• PipPip
  • 66 posts

Posted 23 March 2007 - 09:47 AM

I just finished reading Anne Lamott's PLAN B: FURTHER THOUGHTS ON FAITH, but I have to say that was I disappointed - it was far too politically motivated to truly inspire. I LOVED her earlier book, BIRD BY BIRD.

A friend just gave me THE HIDDEN MESSAGES IN WATER by Masaru Emoto, and it looks very interesting! That'll be what I read next.
"Sometimes I think I understand everything... then I regain consciousness."My Webpage / My Blog

#6 frither

frither

Had delusions of being Superwoman

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,494 posts
  • Interests:Being the honeybabysweetiepiesoulmatebestfriendwife to Mystic Hippy, being the sister to Bear Dude, computer-generated art, reading darn near anything I can get my hands on, all aspects of the paranormal, being supportive and understanding when my husband communes with noncorporeals that I personally can't see or hear and dancing like no one else is watching.

Posted 23 March 2007 - 06:25 PM

I just finished "The Dream Hunter", which is the latest in the Dark Hunter series by Sherilyn Kenyon and tonight, I'm going to start re-reading Christine Feehan's 'Dark' series.

#7 Moonstruck

Moonstruck

Village Elder

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 606 posts

Posted 23 March 2007 - 06:54 PM

I just finished reading "Beloved" the book that was turned into a movie with Oprah. I can't remember the author because I have already returned it to the library. I had grabbed it last minute to bring on vacation. I thought it was excellent.
It has violence and language/moderate.

#8 Ambra

Ambra

Should not travel without a map

• PipPipPip
  • 219 posts
  • Interests:Ghosts, of course, reading, arts and crafts, particularly cross-stitch, movies.

Posted 24 March 2007 - 01:08 AM

I'm currently reading "Mortified: Real Words. Real People. Real Pathetic." a collection of letters, diary entries, etc. written by people in their pre-teens and teens. The authors are now adults and many reflect on what was going on in their lives at the time their pieces were written and how they feel about it now as adults. The best one so far is a series of letters between a homesick summer camp resident and his parents. Recommended for a "mature audience" for language and sexual situations.
I got smacked by aloha spirit!Posted Image

#9 erna_butter

erna_butter

weird ancient from the medieval times

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 628 posts
  • Interests:Art (any kind), computers, paranormal, forensics, psychology, and of course fantasy books, and history.

Posted 24 March 2007 - 06:26 AM

The book in which I recommend, isn`t one that I`ve read recently, but its still on my top lists.

wizards first rule by: Terry Goodkind, this is the first in the series, the others are great also.

but there are some parts of the book I would say that the younger teens shouldn`t read this for, so I would give this book an age group of about 16 and over.

5 out of 5 stars for the series, but especially this one.

a truly awesome writer.

oh and also anything by Anne rice...I especially loved Lasher.
Posted Image I A.M CANADIAN

#10 AngelRose

AngelRose

Villager

• PipPipPip
  • 253 posts
  • Interests:I'm interested in the paranormal. Just not enough to go out and do any investigations. I think my past experiences might have frightened me away from looking for what might come next. I can read what others go threw and it seems exciting. But I just don't have it in me to get up and do any investigations. Pretty silly I know. But it's who I am. I'm a watcher not a doer. That's ok with me, I dont' mind it. I feel safe this way. lol

Posted 24 March 2007 - 06:59 AM

The last book I read was called "Finders Keepers".
It was about a 2 year old girl who was kidnapped. The one's who kidnapped her had lost a baby before that. And the woman went kind of crazy with missing a child.
In the end it all worked out.
Don't ask who it was written by, I can't even remember. I do think I have the book somewhere around the house. I do know it took me a short time to read it. And I really enjoyed it..... Hubby called it "Chic book".. LOL, he's funny (he thinks)
Posted Image

#11 aloha_spirit

aloha_spirit

I'm 100% Poi Dog!

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,534 posts
  • Interests:Computer Programming, Books, Movies, Nature, Religion.

Posted 02 April 2007 - 06:18 PM

A Train to Potevka by Mike Ramsdell

I recommend it to those at least 12 years old.

Mike Ramsdell was an American spy in the Soviet Union during the Cold War and witnessed the collapse of that empire. This story is based on his experiences there from 1988 to 2002, though portions have been fictionalized for his safety:

It is important to understand that, as a former intelligence officer, I had no other choice than to have this work categorized as fiction. The reason for this is three fold: First, I am subject to certain laws and regulations that govern what can and cannot be disclosed about my former work. Secondly, it would be foolish to put myself or my family in harm's way by disclosing anything traceable regarding past encounters with the Russian mafia. And, thirdly, it would be impossible to write this book and not have the liberty to add dialog, description, and detail in order to make the story more enjoyable. Therefore, due to the forgoing reasons, several of the events, dates, places, and names in the book have been altered or fictionalized.

This book is packed with action, suspense, faith, and the struggle for survival. The bulk of the story takes Mike from a small town in Siberia nearly 6000 miles to Moscow, mostly by train. Potevka is a small town along the way with a safe house, where Mike is forced to lie low to throw the mafia off his trail. What happens there is the heart of the tale, if not the climax. At least one miracle takes place in the safe house (sorry, won't give it away). And towards the end of the book we have a very unexpected encounter in an unexpected locale.

Mike Ramsdell is a Mormon from a small Utah town, and in the desperate times he draws strength from his faith. However, this book is not geared just towards fellow Latter-day Saints, but anyone who loves action, adventure, and good conquering evil in the end.

I didn't lose my mind - I have it backed up on a disk ... somewhere

#12 Redhead

Redhead

Village Elder

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,196 posts
  • Interests:Needlework, including counted cross stitch and knitting, reading, dogs, triking (trikes are three wheeled motorcycled if you didn't know) and flower gardening. That is besides the paranormal...

Posted 02 April 2007 - 06:46 PM

I am reading "Practical Magic" by Alice Hoffman. It contains adult situations and strong language, so it is not for children by any means. It's the story of two sisters, raised by their magical aunts, and how they react to this magic. One runs away towards bad choices in men, and one leaves with her two daughters to lead a normal life. That is until her wild sister returns with a dead body in her car, and then things go from bad to worse. I really enjoy Ms. Hoffman's writing style, and subject matter. Her her characters are fully developed and believable to me. The story is both funny and sad, as you watch these people grow and change to accept who they are and accept those they love for who they are. A movie was made of this book, starring Sandra Bullock and Nicole Kidman and it's a great movie, but it differs greatly from the book, and so far I like the book a whole lot more.

I'm also reading "Twilight Eyes" by Dean Koontz. It's one of his earlier works, and I read it almost 20 years ago. The story is great, and stuck with me all this time, so I decided to re-read it. It also contains adult language and a great deal of violence, so again, not for kids or for the squeamish. It's the first-person story of Slim McKenzie, a 17 year old run-away, on the lam for killing his uncle - because his uncle is a goblin! There's an army of them living amongst us, and the war is about to start. This is a great thriller, and trust me - if you read this book, you'll never quite look at people the same way again...
"Never wrestle with a pig. All you get is dirty and the pig has all the fun." ~ Anon.

#13 Laurie Ann

Laurie Ann

Your imagination IS running off with you!

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,025 posts
  • Interests:I love to do yard work, re-arrange my home constantly, draw and get tattoos that have significant meaning to me, garage sales/yard sales fanatic. My home is haunted by I believe 2 spirits, so I'm never alone when everyone is asleep! I'm trying to label the gifts I have, although I try to keep them a secret from my husband..he wouldn't understand. My 20 year old is now living on his own and does so great! My 6 year old is a little me, and the baby will be 5 December. He's about 8-12 months behind, but that smile...that beautiful smile.

Posted 02 April 2007 - 07:38 PM

~I'm actually almost done with a book my Step-Mom bought for me titled" Don't let them go"...it's about the real-life Alison Dubois and what her life has been like with her gift. I'm not too much of a book reader, but this one has me. I finished the one about Haunted Chicago...those types I can never get enough of.
~Women are angels...and when someone breaks our wings, we simply continue to fly...on a broomstick. We're flexible like that.~

#14 Willow

Willow

A sweet kindhearted person, who would dish dirt on her?

• Town Council
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,572 posts

Posted 02 April 2007 - 08:13 PM

I've been lacking in my usual read like its going out of style mode. I am multitask reading between "The Historian" by Elizabeth Kostova, Its the story of a young woman plunged into a labyrinth where the secrets of her family's past connect to an inconceivable evil: the dark fifteenth-century reign of Vlad the Impaler and a time-defying pact that may have kept his awful work alive through the ages. The search for the truth becomes an adventure of monumental proportions, taking us from monasteries and dusty libraries to the capitals of Eastern Europe--in a feat of storytelling so rich, so hypnotic, so exciting that it has enthralled readers around the world.

Horror so ofcourse there are adult themes. I absolutely was enthralled a couple hundred pages into the book but there are parts that drag on for what seems like forever. Though Kostova's imagery with words makes you feel like you're seeing the countries shes describing in the book it doesnt last all through the book which leads me to my second read.

"Haunted Heritage" by Michael Norman and Beth Scott. I love their whole series and was suprised to see this one at Borders, I thought I had them all!
Either write things worth reading,
Or do things worth the writing.

Posted Image

#15 SpookyChick

SpookyChick

Junior Villager

• PipPip
  • 66 posts

Posted 05 April 2007 - 01:27 PM

I was really disappointed in The Historian, Willow. It started out so good, and then it dragged, just like you said. I won't tell you the ending, though. :Spaz:

The next book on my to-be-read stack is called The Thirteenth Tale. It looks promising. Has anyone read Odd Thomas by Dean Koontz? That was a good one.

SpookyChick
"Sometimes I think I understand everything... then I regain consciousness."My Webpage / My Blog

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users