Dracula's Castle For Sale

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 MELLY

MELLY

Loves Firemen!

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 685 posts
  • Interests:Reading, gardening, my daughters and grandchildren, travel. I collect dolls, first edition signed novels, and love architectual salvage!

Posted 26 March 2007 - 01:48 PM

I need to win Powerball so I can buy this place :)

BUCHAREST, Romania (AP) — The family that owns a Transylvanian castle famous for its connections to the 15th century medieval ruler who inspired “Dracula'' said Wednesday it wants to sell the fortress to local authorities for $78 million.

The local council said it was interested in buying Bran Castle, perched high on a rock and surrounded by snowcapped mountains in southern Transylvania. Dominic Habsburg, the owner, insisted his family had honorable intentions for wanting to sell the castle.

“We are trying to find the best way to preserve the castle in the interest of the family and the people of Bran,'' Habsburg said in a statement made available exclusively to The Associated Press.

The castle was returned to Habsburg, a New York architect, in May. It was confiscated by the Communists from Habsburg's mother, Princess Ileana, in 1948, the year the royals were forced to leave the country.

After the restitution, concerns were raised that the family could sell the castle to a hotel chain and that the site could end up being the centerpiece of a Dracula theme park that would blight the surrounding, pristine countryside some 105 miles north of Bucharest.

More than 400,000 visitors a year visit the castle — mainly because of its loose association with “Vlad the Impaler,'' the legendary prince whose cruelty inspired novelist Bram Stoker's creation, the vampire Count Dracula.

He punished wrongdoers or the lazy by impaling them on stakes, and once impaled all the elderly people in a community in an act of revenge following the killing of his father and brother.

Vlad did not own the castle, but is believed to have used it briefly during his incursions in Transylvania. He is also believed to have been imprisoned in the castle for two months in 1462 when he was captured by a rival Hungarian king.

Lia Trandafir, an attorney for Habsburg, said local authorities are interested in buying it. “They'd like to see it coming back to the community and they consider it a central pillar of tourism in Brasov county,'' she said.

Aristotel Cancescu, head of the local city council, is due to travel to Vienna, Austria, on Monday to open discussions about a bank loan. If he manages to secure one, it will need to be approved by local councilors.

Culture Minister Adrian Iorgulescu has criticized the planned purchase of the castle, saying it is worth only a fourth of Habsburg's asking price.

“I have nothing against the castle being bought by the city council if they are stupid enough to pay this money,'' he said.

Faced with the enormous expense of the castle's upkeep, Habsburg said he wanted to place the property in the hands of the local council with an eye toward ensuring its historic character is preserved.

“The family has the country and the people in their heart. We are grateful for the restitution as a moral act to amend injustice,'' the statement from Habsburg said.

But he added, “The way of life cannot be returned and the restitution has come with financial sacrifice. ... We would like Castle Bran to remain a symbol of everything that is honorable and good in Romania.''

In recent years, the castle — complete with glimpses of bats floating around its ramparts in the twilight — has attracted moviemakers as a backdrop for films about Dracula and other spooky themes.

http://www.livescien...ula_castle.html
Religious people fear going to hell. Spiritual people have already been there.

#2 Willow

Willow

A sweet kindhearted person, who would dish dirt on her?

• Town Council
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,572 posts

Posted 26 March 2007 - 02:29 PM

Oh I'd most definately love to buy the castle. I just hope whomever buys it will keep up with the restorations and preserve its history as its a popular tourist attraction. Its a gorgeous castle...

VirtualTourofDraculasCastle

Edited by Willow, 26 March 2007 - 02:33 PM.

Either write things worth reading,
Or do things worth the writing.

Posted Image

#3 jakob493

jakob493

Very greedy and not happy with just one tag

• PipPipPipPip
  • 427 posts

Posted 26 March 2007 - 05:32 PM

Dangit, I'm short about $78 Million for this one... Anyone want to help me out here?

#4 Moonstruck

Moonstruck

Village Elder

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 606 posts

Posted 26 March 2007 - 06:27 PM

Thanks for posting this story complete with picture!

#5 Tigger

Tigger

Junior Villager

• PipPip
  • 57 posts

Posted 26 March 2007 - 06:43 PM

Is there any direct descendants of Vlad still around?

Hopefully someone with a love of history and lore will buy the castle. I would hate to see it fall to ruins.

#6 Willow

Willow

A sweet kindhearted person, who would dish dirt on her?

• Town Council
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,572 posts

Posted 18 June 2007 - 08:48 PM

Is there any direct descendants of Vlad still around?

I believe there are...remember seeing a story where they interviewed one of his direct decendants.

Controversy over Dracula's castle

Fri Jun 15, 9:28 AM ET

BUCHAREST, Romania - Romania's government on Thursday defended its decision to return "Dracula's Castle" to members of the former royal family, denying allegations that the decision was illegal.

The castle, famous for its links to a 15th-century medieval ruler who inspired Bram Stoker's "Dracula," was confiscated in 1948 by the former communist regime.

"When it comes to property confiscated by the communists, I as a prime minister don't have any problems with returning it," said Prime Minister Calin Popescu Tariceanu.

Culture Minister Adrian Iorgulescu said the castle was legally returned last year to heirs of Princess Ileana, its last owner. He noted that it was approved by the Justice Ministry and a national agency for returning confiscated assets.

"We are convinced that the property restitution was done correctly," he said.

An opposition-dominated legislative panel had argued the restitution was unlawful because of procedural errors.

"How is it possible that the restitution of a national treasure be done by a museum administering the castle," said Dumitru Puchianu, a lawmaker with the Democratic Party, which was recently expelled from the Cabinet.

The 14th-century fortress is associated with Prince "Vlad the Impaler," whose cruelty inspired Stoker's vampire Count Dracula. Legend has it that Vlad, who earned his nickname because of the way he tortured his enemies, spent one night there.

The new owner, New York-based architect Dominic Habsburg, signed a deal pledging to keep the castle open to visitors for three years. He later offered to sell it to local authorities for $80 million. His lawyer also rejected the lawmakers' criticism.

"The (lawmakers panel's) decision is wrong. It's a political one and it proves that private property is not respected in Romania," Corin Trandafir said.

Article
Either write things worth reading,
Or do things worth the writing.

Posted Image

#7 DeadWatch

DeadWatch

Junior Villager

• PipPip
  • 100 posts
  • Interests:Writing

Posted 18 June 2007 - 09:50 PM

Hey Jakob maybe we could go halfsies?
Todd BanksFounder/DirectorThe DeadWatch SocietyPosted ImagePosted ImagePosted ImagePosted Image

#8 MoonChild

MoonChild

Undead giant that feasts on hotdogs!

• Town Council
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 50,396 posts
  • Interests:Life

Posted 20 June 2007 - 10:39 AM

Who's selling my castle without my permission? :ghost: :hug:

I hope the buyer doesn't live an undead life :)

Edited by SattvicMoon, 20 June 2007 - 10:39 AM.

Posted Image

#9 rayzrwyre

rayzrwyre

Village Elder

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 749 posts
  • Interests:I am interested in intelligent conversations with like-minded people who share a fascination with all things paranormal........now where would I find such wonderful people like that???

Posted 17 July 2007 - 09:09 AM

Let me see....Huanted lighthouse, $1.00..........Dracula's Castle, $78,000,000.00.......It's like a paranormal version of Monoply! Afraid I would half to settle for the cheap one though, unless there's 78M in Free Parking! :)
"Excuse me while I slip out of these wet clothes and into a dry martini!" - Groucho Marx

#10 DeadTrish

DeadTrish

Village Elder

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 561 posts

Posted 17 July 2007 - 09:34 AM

Is there a 2 for 1 sale? :ghost:
TrishDirector/ConsultantAfterlife Investigations: A Paranormal Research SocietyMEMENTO MORI

#11 Mark London

Mark London

So open minded that his brain has fallen out....watch your step

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,439 posts
  • Interests:If they need me I help them

Posted 17 July 2007 - 01:09 PM

Is it rented furnished or unfurnished ? :ghost:

#12 rayzrwyre

rayzrwyre

Village Elder

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 749 posts
  • Interests:I am interested in intelligent conversations with like-minded people who share a fascination with all things paranormal........now where would I find such wonderful people like that???

Posted 21 July 2007 - 12:55 AM

Hey, we here at the Village could like have this awesome bake sale, or open a lemonade stand somewhere, everyone pitches in, and in no time we could buy the place! Just think GVHQ at the Drac Shack! Hey it could happen!

Posted Image

See! Anything's possible!
"Excuse me while I slip out of these wet clothes and into a dry martini!" - Groucho Marx

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users