Click Here To Visit Our Sponsor

Photo

What started your interest in the paranormal?

• Please log in to reply
93 replies to this topic

Poll: What got you started?

How did your curiosity get peaked?

You cannot see the results of the poll until you have voted. Please login and cast your vote to see the results of this poll.
Vote Guests cannot vote

#76 meanderer

meanderer

Senior Villager

• PipPipPipPip
  • 306 posts

Posted 13 September 2007 - 09:29 AM

"Paranormal" isn't a word I would really use. I have experienced enough things where it would be considered "normal". And, I guess my earliest memory of something like this would be a visit I had from the "wee people", when I was very young. That's when my interests really began.
Beannacht ort

#77 Aireygrey

Aireygrey

Village Elder

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 744 posts

Posted 15 September 2007 - 04:08 AM

I used to overhear my family talking about strange events and such, and this was when I was about 4 or so. That pretty much got me interested for some odd reason. My earliest childhood memories are hearing about the ghosts my relatives have seen.

#78 Seeker

Seeker

Village Elder

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 609 posts

Posted 16 September 2007 - 10:07 AM

As a kid I was always scared to be home alone, and at night when I was upstairs by myself. I was afraid of every possible thing that could get me, ghosts are on that list.
There is nothing left to say.Me

#79 warlock

warlock

• Pip
  • 7 posts
  • Interests:anything weird

Posted 15 October 2007 - 02:23 PM

After some conversations with friends, I got curious as to what was the origin of people's interest in such things as ghosts, evps, things that go bump in the night.

Please don't go into long explanations; just a short reply so we don't end up listing all the details that should go into the Personal Encounters thread.

I saw a ghost and disovered it was real and then got told by several mediums that i am phsycic so that is how i got into it :weeee:
If you can'T see it, It does not mean it is not there!!!!!

#80 Fairy Yaya!

Fairy Yaya!

Junior Villager

• PipPip
  • 19 posts
  • Interests:Watching Ghost Hunters Taps, Paranormal State, pyschic Kids, Supernatural, reading books by Sylivia Brown, and Ed &amp; Lorraine Warren, and related books and subjects. <br />Off Road 4x4ing with my Jeep, and Chevy Truck. And Trail Ride with my Quad. All thru Sand, Mud, and Water crossings.<br />With Friends and Family! <br /><br />Most of all, interested in the paranormal, because since I was a child I had several personal experiences that I can't explain,<br />and I started researching since I was 10 yrs old. I lived in several haunted homes and reside in one Now! As far as I and family members experienced from, (as we believe to be)<br />ghost, spirits, dark figures, Large Angel, small angels, milliscious intities, list goes on from history experiences.<br />Thanks for taking the time to read this!<br />Fairy Yaya!

Posted 15 October 2007 - 04:33 PM

Well...... For starters, thought it was normal, until learned that not all see what I was seeing.
Labeled, nightmares then!
SO I tucked it away and kept it to my self for a long time.
And broke out searching~because it didn't go away. And found friends who would listen, among family credic's whom critisized. Ow well, I believed in myself thats what mattered!

Fairy YaYa!

Great Poll!

#81 Thegrimignis

Thegrimignis

Junior Villager

• PipPip
  • 28 posts
  • Interests:I'm a really busy high school-er. I am super involved with my school's theater and music programs and i'm also in a puppetry club. <br /><br />Dunno what else to say!

Posted 16 October 2007 - 03:40 PM

i think my first spark of interest was when i was 6 my grandmotherr had died has was always with me for about a year i saw her and spoke to her tiwce. also probly my mom , aunts and grandmom also fueled the fire
Joey: Hey, how come I can't remember my past lives? Phoebe: That's cause you're brand new honey.

#82 Teri

Teri

Junior Villager

• PipPip
  • 46 posts

Posted 16 October 2007 - 04:33 PM

For me the 'two worlds' have always blended together. I was born knowing that we don't die. I've had many experiences before kindergarten with spirit communication. I was fully supported by my family and trained early on how to protect myself, but it wasn't until age 12 that I started seriously training with the National Spiritualist Association Of Churches, after a full bodied, SOLID apparition made contact with me. Even though I knew this person when they were on the physical plane, it scared me...BIG TIME! :wow:

I would say that 99% of my experiences have been positive...but, it's the 1% that brought me to this forum. :)

#83 axlfoley

axlfoley

Village Elder

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 972 posts

Posted 17 February 2008 - 09:00 AM

I got interested from reading ghost short stories. Then I also heard ghost stories from people relating their encounters with the departed. In all these cases I loved the feeling of being spooked. That's why GV is great because I get to read all these encounters anytime.

Whatever

#84 AnnieV

AnnieV

Village Elder

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 646 posts

Posted 17 February 2008 - 12:46 PM

All I have are other people's experience to live vicariously through... :vampire:
Posted Image

#85 paraviews

paraviews

Villager

• PipPipPip
  • 166 posts

Posted 17 February 2008 - 09:54 PM

I had my first paranormal expierence at the tender age of 6, and have been feeling, hearing and seeing ghost ever since.
Posted Image

#86 Willow

Willow

A sweet kindhearted person, who would dish dirt on her?

• Town Council
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,572 posts

Posted 25 February 2008 - 11:14 AM

*bumps*

Anyone else want to share what got them into the world of the paranormal?
Either write things worth reading,
Or do things worth the writing.

Posted Image

#87 Gifted

Gifted

Junior Villager

• PipPip
  • 54 posts

Posted 29 February 2008 - 04:23 PM

I grew up in a house that "housed" 13 according to a friend of my Mom, whom is a medium.
They didn't make themselves known to me til I reached my late teens. Or perhaps that's when I finally noticed them.
They did this by opening and closing my bedroom and closet doors. (They congregated in my room. My closet was the portal.)
Taking things off my desk that I knew where there previously.
Shaking my bed fairly rigorously, once...which was once to many.
Had a great dane at the time, he stood between them and me one day...baring teeth, hair standing up, growling. He wouldn't let me pass by him either..always making sure he walked/stood between "us".
Shortly after that is when I started sensing them. They'd come and go. I could always feel when they'd come back, before they'd "announce" they were back.

#88 sororluna

sororluna

Junior Villager

• PipPip
  • 55 posts
  • Interests:Seances, Mediumship, Ghosts, Hauntings, Psychic stuff<br /><br />University Lecturer in Latin, Ancient Greek, and Biblical Hebrew<br /><br />Founding Member of Psychics and Ghost Hunters of Western Oregon<br /><br />Reiki Master <br /><br />Light Body Graduate (www.orindaben.com)<br /><br />Have studied Parapsychology in my spare time since 1989<br /><br />Medium-in-Training since 1994 (Mainly mental mediumship however have some knowledge of physical as well).<br /><br />Lived in Durham, England for 2 years (my husband is British) and have seen 60+ mediums live in various Spiritualist Churches in the UK and USA, as well as attending psychic worshops and mediumship classes in both countries.<br /><br />10 or more years of personal, detailed, hands-on experience with EACH of the following faiths: Baptist, Catholic, Pagan/Witchcraft. <br /><br />I do Biblical Hebrew (Old Testament) and Biblical Greek (New Testament), if anybody wants any literal translations of paranormal matters in the Judaeo-Christian Bible. My main area of interest however is Latin, which I speak fluently and teach, and also Ancient Greek, if anybody wants literal translations of any Pagan writings. Also fairly fluent in Italian. Two terms of German as well :).

Posted 29 February 2008 - 05:31 PM

My grandma told ghost stories about things that happened in all the places she lived, so I always grew up believing in ghosts.

Also seeing the movie Ghostbusters in 1984 or around there was neat. There is a local expert in parapsychology at a univerity my mom went to in north Alabama, and I got one of his books.

By 1985 (I was 8 or 9) I had made my first attempts at trances and channelling.

When I was 13 I saw this AWESOME old t.v. show called "Dark Shadows" with the vampire Barnabus Collins, and there was a Witch named Angelique who could control people with her voodoo spells. I didn't realize that spells were real, until one day at our local bookstore I happened to notice a section on witchcraft books in the occult/paranormal section (of course, REAL witchcraft is good and from the light, just like Christianity, and doesn't resemble the nasty spells that Angelique did) and that's when I first found that there were actually books you could read on all these topics. So everywhere I went with a bookstore, I read everything - from ghosts to spells to aliens, you name it.

By the age of 14 I had my first Ouija board, and began talking to my spirit guide Erik. Eventually I could just mentally talk to him, and didn't need the board anymore.

By the age of 15 I was leading a weekly mediumistic seance circle with my best friends from school.

By that point, you could say I was hooked!

#89 xfactor

xfactor

Junior Villager

• PipPip
  • 33 posts
  • Interests:History, backpacking, hardcore skier, fly fishing, motorcycles, Frank Zappa, teaching, Q Tips, Hi Def programming, and of course the PARANORMAL.

Posted 14 March 2008 - 04:27 PM

During graduate school, I worked as a bartender in an upscale restaurant that had been converted from a granary. The granary was used back in the depression era by the local college's agricultural program to manufacture flour under their label Green & Gold (if my memory serves me). There were many nights in the winter time that I would be working the downstairs bar alone and would be the only person in the entire restaurant. Some nights were busy, and other nights were, well, really slow.

I remember always having the feeling that I was being watched, and feeling very uncomfortable at times. On many different occasions, I heard noises in the back room behind the bar, and heard loud banging noises coming from the kitchen. There was never anybody there besides myself. I never mentioned this to anyone, ever. The place was cool though and full of history. There were actual threshing machines still on display among other original equipment artifacts. The restaurant was later sold, and completely gutted and a new restaurant with the same name opened up. I have often heard that remodeling like that can stir up the hauntings. I always wanted to go back and talk to the construction workers to see if they experienced anything.

Also, when I was a young boy, my friends and I made a homemade ouija board out of cardboard and a wire hanger. I remember feeling a cold breeze on my left arm and the hanger/pointer was going crazy. That was pretty darn stupid, thinking back on it now. Boys will be boys I suppose. Those are the only two experiences I have ever had. It wasn't until I saw Ghost Hunters and Most Haunted about 4 years ago that I really began to say that I had an interest in the paranormal.
I never set out to be weird. It was always other people who called me weird. -- Francesco Zappa

#90 Seer

Seer

Senior Villager

• PipPipPipPip
  • 369 posts
  • Interests:The Metaphysical. Healing, Self healing, meditation, expanding awareness.<br /><br />I run a meditation group on Wednesday evenings. <br /><br />I love helping others.<br /><br />I am a constant reader and love to learn whatever I can. <br /><br />I used to ride a Harely Sportster 1200 but just upgraded to a Softtail Nighttrain 1450. It's beautiful.

Posted 17 March 2008 - 05:20 PM

Many, many things all my life but here are just a couple of things;

I had a spontaneous Out of Body when I was 6 or 7. Around that same time my oldest sister had a visitation from our Uncle that passed. She was told it was a nightmare. When I was 16, my sister and I had a "dual" OBE's and I have always just known things.

Seer
I am more than my physical body.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users