Film or digital

• Please log in to reply
146 replies to this topic

#61 Vampchick21

Vampchick21

Looks Irish, loves Italian food, lives in Canada....must be lost

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,995 posts
  • Interests:knitting, crocheting, writing, cats, paranormal phenomena, cryptzoology, Monty Python

Posted 18 April 2007 - 12:38 PM

And if you want proof of fraud in a traditional film photo, you send the negative to a film expert.

AT this point, I think everyone would benefit discussing controls rather than which is the better medium and getting ruffled over the views of others. Neither is going away. We're aware of the technological faults of both (pixels - digital, accidental double exposure - film, etc etc). So what's the best way to work with, control and present for both mediums.

Krafted with luv

by monsters

#62 JimDe

JimDe

Villager

• PipPipPip
  • 299 posts

Posted 18 April 2007 - 01:58 PM

Ok, back on track; why is it important to prove paranormal activity to a Skeptic? A Skeptic would not be a Skeptic if he/she did not take that negative or digital storage devise and throw it in the garbage without even bothering to look at it anyway, and if they were to examine it, they most likely would attempt to discount rather than disprove. A skeptic canít disprove something thatís true, but they can discount it as unsubstantiated or irrelevant. So I say ignore them and tell them to get a real job.

You only need to prove paranormal activity to practitioners of paranormal activity.
Spirit photography has gotten a bad rep over the last 150 years (give or take). No one has ever come forward and proven that SPIRIT photography is even possible.

?

Ummm...proving to ourselves is the equal of preaching to the choir so to speak. We already believe.

Debunkers (the people you have in mind when you refer to skeptics, real skeptics won't dismiss out of hand and do keep an open mind) we likely couldn't prove anything to at all, simply because, as you illustrate, they will dimiss anything and everything.

A skeptic however, provided they aren't one of those dismissive and arrogant debunkers, will look at the evidence provided. They will ask intelligent and applicable questions. They will review, analyize. If they cannot come up with a plausible natural explaination, they say so.

I also think, personally, that the people we need to get on side are scientists, authentic skeptics and researchers. And in order to do that we need to present good evidence. Hence this and other discussions.

Spirit Photography has a bad rap due to frauds. I think every single one of us can come up with a few examples of that. Akin to "The Boy Who Cried Wolf". So many frauds and honest misconceptions have occured over the years that it becomes the first thing to pop into people's heads. However, the images that have been proven to NOT be fraud and NOT be a misinterperatation of a natural phenomena to me ARE proof of the ability to somehow capture spirit activity in a video or photograph.

So to sum it up. Don't prove it to me. Prove it to the real Skeptic. And just leave the arrogant Debunkers out of the equasion.

Good point about debunkers and skeptics, but what I was driving at was their (skeptics) equal consideration or lack thereof for both film negatives and digital storage devices when itís the data on those mediums that would concern most skeptics (and believers).

If the skeptic canít or wonít render an opinion as to the authenticity of a possible paranormal occurrence, and all they can accomplish after their examination is assess it as a naturalistic cause and effect (or not) that sounds like a win-win situation for them. You still have to get it past the paranormal scientist, who will be just as demanding as the skeptic, but in the end the scientist can also make a qualified determination as to the authenticity of a potential paranormal occurrence. I donít see the purpose for the professional skeptic when you have a professional scientist performing a similar regiment of examinations +.

How do you prove paranormal activity to a person who doesnít relate to paranormal activity? If they donít Ďget ití, will they ever? I donít believe the point is to convert the masses, but rather to establish credible theory and practices for those who do Ďget ití.

I too believe that spirit anomalies can and have been captured photographically as well as on other recording devices, but, no one has ever proven that ghosts/spirits actually exist. So why call it spirit photography? How do you validate the term spirit photography?
Posted Image

#63 Vampchick21

Vampchick21

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,995 posts
  • Interests:knitting, crocheting, writing, cats, paranormal phenomena, cryptzoology, Monty Python

Posted 18 April 2007 - 02:15 PM

Good point about debunkers and skeptics, but what I was driving at was their (skeptics) equal consideration or lack thereof for both film negatives and digital storage devices when itís the data on those mediums that would concern most skeptics (and believers).

sorry hon. I can't make heads nor tails of that paragraph. Your point is unclear.

If the skeptic canít or wonít render an opinion as to the authenticity of a possible paranormal occurrence, and all they can accomplish after their examination is assess it as a naturalistic cause and effect (or not) that sounds like a win-win situation for them. You still have to get it past the paranormal scientist, who will be just as demanding as the skeptic, but in the end the scientist can also make a qualified determination as to the authenticity of a potential paranormal occurrence. I donít see the purpose for the professional skeptic when you have a professional scientist performing a similar regiment of examinations +.

I fail to see what you mean. Again, I'm having a hard time making heads or tails of this paragraph. And I'm hardly a stupid person. It *sounds* as if you don't like either conclusion by skeptic or scientist. It also sounds as if you are reluctant to present anything to anyone outside of the paranormal community. Bad stance.

How do you prove paranormal activity to a person who doesnít relate to paranormal activity? If they donít Ďget ití, will they ever? I donít believe the point is to convert the masses, but rather to establish credible theory and practices for those who do Ďget ití.

We still eventually have to prove or provide credible evidence to the non paranormal community and do so in a manner that gives *us* credibility with *them*. *We* have to welcome examination, questioning, etc. *We* have to welcome the debate.

We can establish theory and practice until we're blue in the face, but keeping it within the community only serves to cut us off and permit the mockery to continue.

I too believe that spirit anomalies can and have been captured photographically as well as on other recording devices, but, no one has ever proven that ghosts/spirits actually exist. So why call it spirit photography? How do you validate the term spirit photography?

What the heck else are we going to call it? Besides, aren't you the one (based on your prior posts) who 'coined' the term Spiritography? And if so, aren't you better qualified than I to explain that?

Here's the deal. We establish to the best of our ability credible theories and controls and techniques, using the technology at our disposal. And we continue to present it both within and without the community. To dismiss the value of the skeptic or the scientist makes us just as bad as the debunker.

Krafted with luv

by monsters

#64 damckie

damckie

My innersoul rides on a big fluffy cloud....

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,113 posts
  • Interests:Ghost Hunting!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Hanging with my best friend and soulmate

Posted 18 April 2007 - 03:45 PM

Is there a thing called a memory stick that goes inside of a digital camera? That to me is my negitive! This subject is going nowhere! And never will! :whoohoo: Dave

A memory stick does not show anything, i can take a picture, edit it the way i want to, and put it back onto the memory stick. But the pictures themselves show something. When you take a picture with a digital camera, the exact date and time of the shutter-release are recorded to your image file, along with many other bits of "meta data." and every time you take a picture, your camera will also save information about your exposure time, f-stop setting, ISO, focal length, and so on.

-Roger-

Maybe you are right, I am no photo expert. If you want to go that far and alter a photo, be my guess. I guess there are a lot of losers out there that would alter a photo and say they caught a ghost, whatever. Dave

Edited by damckie, 18 April 2007 - 03:47 PM.

Two hearts drawn together bound by destiny. Every road leads to your door...."Will you still love me?" By Chicago. Love is the reason we'll never be alone. In love, in love.... "I believe." By Chicago. I LOVE YOU JULIET!!! The Spirit Stalker of Ohio "BREAK ON THROUGH TO THE OTHER SIDE" The Doors! GOOD DAVE HUNTING

#65 R.L.crowley

R.L.crowley

Junior Villager

• PipPip
  • 126 posts
  • Interests:spirit photography, computers...lol, biking, friends...lots of stuff

Posted 18 April 2007 - 05:02 PM

losers seems like an unnecessary generalization to me

The hour of departure has arrived, and we go our ways--I to die and you to live. Which is the better, only God knows. - Socrates I am the wisest man alive, for I know one thing, and that is that I know nothing. . - SocratesEnergy Hot SpotsEnergy Hot Spots New EnglandEnergyhotspots DemonicologyLet the house of Israel say / His mercy endures forever Let the house of Aaron say / His mercy endures foreverLet those who fear the lord say / His mercy endures forever

#66 JimDe

JimDe

Villager

• PipPipPip
  • 299 posts

Posted 18 April 2007 - 05:21 PM

I fail to see what you mean. Again, I'm having a hard time making heads or tails of this paragraph. And I'm hardly a stupid person. It *sounds* as if you don't like either conclusion by skeptic or scientist. It also sounds as if you are reluctant to present anything to anyone outside of the paranormal community. Bad stance.

We still eventually have to prove or provide credible evidence to the non paranormal community and do so in a manner that gives *us* credibility with *them*. *We* have to welcome examination, questioning, etc. *We* have to welcome the debate.

We can establish theory and practice until we're blue in the face, but keeping it within the community only serves to cut us off and permit the mockery to continue.

What the heck else are we going to call it? Besides, aren't you the one (based on your prior posts) who 'coined' the term Spiritography? And if so, aren't you better qualified than I to explain that?

Here's the deal. We establish to the best of our ability credible theories and controls and techniques, using the technology at our disposal. And we continue to present it both within and without the community. To dismiss the value of the skeptic or the scientist makes us just as bad as the debunker.

Öitís my fault for not being clearer.

- By taking the film and digital media devices out of the equation, you are left with only data. Point being, the storage device is a weak cause for concern to an analyst because itís the data thatís important.

- Actually, a stance is exactly my meaning, but not against presenting material outside the paranormal community. What if the skeptical analyst is confronted with a legitimate paranormal property, after the examination is concluded are they going to say Ďitís paranormalí or are they going to say ĎI cannot come up with a plausible natural explanation,í ...and thatís it? Iím sorry but they have to bring something to table better than that.

- What the scientist brings to the table would be the same rigorous examination of evidence, plus will conclude his/her findings as paranormal in nature if applicable, so where would you prefer your evidence to be examined if the best the skeptic can come up with is Ďinconclusiveí. The paranormal scientist gets the nod in my book, no question.

- Iím all for providing credible evidence, but I donít feel itís my responsibility to convince the non paranormal community that we are all credible, because weíre not. Iím sorry, but I prefer to spend my remaining years developing methods to advance my own paranormal awareness and abilities. Am I wrong? Maybe, but at least Iím honest about it.

- Hereís where the credibility problem becomes an issue with me. Spirit photography; show me a credible example of a spirit in a photograph. No conjecture, no hype and no inconclusive theories or opinions. If you could, then you would possess evidence of an afterlife existence, and that hasnít been accomplished. So, as I said originally ĎNo one has ever come forward and proven that SPIRIT photography is even possibleíÖ since spirits have never been conclusively proven to exist, how are they being photographed?

If the paranormal community is so concerned about being mocked and ridiculed, maybe we should consider that we brought it on ourselves by putting the cart before the horse.

- Again, in all honesty, if I had what I believed was enough evidence to further advance the above situation, do you for second think that I would be more concerned with the credibility of the paranormal community in general or that of my own.
Posted Image

#67 Vampchick21

Vampchick21

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,995 posts

Posted 18 April 2007 - 06:35 PM

See, its a selfish attitude like that which gets us NOWHERE outside or even inside the paranormal community.

Keep it all to yourself if you like. Me, I'd rather pay attention to those out there actually sharing, theorizing, presenting and educating.

Krafted with luv

by monsters

#68 JimDe

JimDe

Villager

• PipPipPip
  • 299 posts

Posted 18 April 2007 - 11:29 PM

Did I miss somethingÖ because I believe thatís exactly what Iíve been doing here since the onset of this thread of digital vs. analog equipment, or have I not shared and presented a sound theory supported by facts concerning the use of digital equipment in the study of paranormal phenomenon, and isnít that the concept of educating. Donít fault me for having an attitude, advances in paranormal research are rarely developed at the group (community) level, rather they are performed on an individual basis and require personal sacrifice, dedication and a natural ability for comprehension of abstract thought. In my opinion itís up to each individual to take responsibility for their own personal advancement as the group (community) is only as strong as its weakest link. I can only speak for myself, but Iíll hold up my end.
Posted Image

#69 damckie

damckie

My innersoul rides on a big fluffy cloud....

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,113 posts
  • Interests:Ghost Hunting!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Hanging with my best friend and soulmate

Posted 19 April 2007 - 08:51 AM

Is there a thing called a memory stick that goes inside of a digital camera? That to me is my negitive! This subject is going nowhere! And never will! :ghost: Dave

A memory stick does not show anything, i can take a picture, edit it the way i want to, and put it back onto the memory stick. But the pictures themselves show something. When you take a picture with a digital camera, the exact date and time of the shutter-release are recorded to your image file, along with many other bits of "meta data." and every time you take a picture, your camera will also save information about your exposure time, f-stop setting, ISO, focal length, and so on.

-Roger-

Maybe you are right, I am no photo expert. If you want to go that far and alter a photo, be my guess. I guess there are a lot of losers out there that would alter a photo and say they caught a ghost, whatever. Dave

I have been thinking about this one. So if you take a picture with a digital and you develope that pic and then you alter it. How do you get that same pic that you altered back on to the memory card? Do you take a pic of a pic? You just can't do it. All in all you can't alter a photo that is already on that memeory card. If you decide to alter a photo there are options to determined if the photo has been altered. Our picture that we took a while back at Sachs Bridge in Gettysburg was put through many programs to see if it was altered at all. And one of those programs was called exif data. That picture was considered 1oo% legit by the experts here at Gv and on other websites. Thanks! Dave
Two hearts drawn together bound by destiny. Every road leads to your door...."Will you still love me?" By Chicago. Love is the reason we'll never be alone. In love, in love.... "I believe." By Chicago. I LOVE YOU JULIET!!! The Spirit Stalker of Ohio "BREAK ON THROUGH TO THE OTHER SIDE" The Doors! GOOD DAVE HUNTING

#70 Grim Undertakings

Grim Undertakings

Voted most likely to be a janitor in Highschool

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,654 posts

Posted 19 April 2007 - 10:59 AM

- Hereís where the credibility problem becomes an issue with me. Spirit photography; show me a credible example of a spirit in a photograph. No conjecture, no hype and no inconclusive theories or opinions. If you could, then you would possess evidence of an afterlife existence, and that hasnít been accomplished. So, as I said originally ĎNo one has ever come forward and proven that SPIRIT photography is even possibleíÖ since spirits have never been conclusively proven to exist, how are they being photographed?

.....Lady of Raynham Hall, girl in the fire in London, floating brick at Borley Rectory, and the infrared photo of the lady sitting on the tombstone at Bachelor's Grove Cemetery in Chicago. All of them photographed with an analog camera. :ghost:

#71 leslie_dragonlvr

leslie_dragonlvr

Village Elder

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,396 posts
  • Interests:Enjoying life, again.<br />Anything paranormal, mostly spiritography and spirit communication.<br />The wilderness, traveling, historical places and a beach.<br />All that involves my heart and soul.

Posted 19 April 2007 - 11:48 AM

I know what Jim is saying there.

No one has actually proven it. These photos are all great, but yet to be known as absolute proof of the exsistance of spirits.

Thats the whole problem in a nutshell, absolute proof has not been accomplished.
Greg - You and no other - Forever and Always! Gv ge yu!

#72 Vampchick21

Vampchick21

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,995 posts

Posted 19 April 2007 - 11:55 AM

With the exception of the floating brick from Borely Rectory, all the photos Grim listed have been proven to NOT be frauds. And that's a step.

Krafted with luv

by monsters

#73 aloha_spirit

aloha_spirit

I'm 100% Poi Dog!

• Town Council
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,534 posts
  • Interests:Computer Programming, Books, Movies, Nature, Religion.

Posted 19 April 2007 - 01:43 PM

This debate can go into other related equipment such as video cameras and sound recorders.

I didn't lose my mind - I have it backed up on a disk ... somewhere

#74 Grim Undertakings

Grim Undertakings

Voted most likely to be a janitor in Highschool

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,654 posts

Posted 19 April 2007 - 06:19 PM

Vampchick, was the Borley Rectory brick a fake or just hasn't been looked into? :ghost: :)

#75 Vampchick21

Vampchick21

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,995 posts

Posted 19 April 2007 - 07:54 PM

It honestly depends on who you are talking to and what their opinion is on the whole Borely Rectory case. The photo was taken after Harry Price's death if I recall aright, by workers cleaning up after a fire (correct me if I'm remembering wrongly). Some people say it's a floating brick, some say it was thrown by a person outside of the frame (intentionally or not, depending on the person) and some say it was falling, since the Rectory was in such bad condition at the time.

I don't personally recall ever reading anything definative on it either way. So it remains, to the best of my knowledge, undetermined for both fraud and authenticty.

Krafted with luv

by monsters

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users