Medical Myths and Urban Legends

• Please log in to reply
39 replies to this topic

#16 spooksareus

spooksareus

Graceful leader of men who harvests wheat

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,003 posts
  • Interests:Healthy friends, supernatural science (oxy morans, lol!), cooking & baking, all animals, playing music (mostly jazz), art (all mediums), interesting & open minded people, truth, justice and liberal politics...

Posted 28 May 2007 - 07:59 PM

What about if you cross your eyes and someone hits you on the back, they'll stay crossed. My 4th grade teacher said that to a boy who always crossed his eyes. I believed it and lucky am unable to cross them.

Kira

Posted Image

Again, :) this one is totally true!

"It is perfectly monstrous the way people go about, nowadays, saying things against one behind one's back that are absolutely and entirely true." -Oscar Wilde “The Picture of Dorian Gray”

#17 Kira

Kira

Village Elder

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,281 posts
  • Interests:Intellectual discussions about anything as long everyone respects all opinions given.<br /><br />My dogs, cooking, studying (yes), painting and decorating, and learning something new almost every day that I visit Ghostvillage.

Posted 28 May 2007 - 08:34 PM

HAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!!! I love it!
The Power of 8 Make Your Wishes Come True!<-Click Here Now

#18 Willow

Willow

A sweet kindhearted person, who would dish dirt on her?

• Town Council
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,572 posts

Posted 30 May 2007 - 12:18 PM

Anyway, let's share some of the medical urban legends that you have heard.

Here is one of my favourites.

When my daughter was in grade 4, she came home one afternoon and said "Daddy, guess what I learned in school today. Your blood is blue, until it mixes with oxygen, and then it turns red."

"Who told you that?" I asked, trying to hide my shock.

"My teacher." she replied.

You can imagine my amazement and shock. Here was a person that children look up to, who is supposed to "teach" them, and provide them with facts, and this person was spreading misinformation.

So, I sat my daughter down, pulled out the medical books, and proved to her that human blood is not blue, and that it comes in two shades of red... bright red and dark red.

The next day she went to school, and in the middle of class, put up her hand. When the teacher called on her, she proudly announced "My dad said you are wrong, blood is not blue, it's red"

The teacher was a little red faced and apologetic at the next parent-teacher interview :D

That's my girl ;)

The funny thing is, I recall hearing this same thing, and believing it when I was a youngster.

So, what medical stories have you heard that are generally accepted but are in fact, false?

That has to be one of the main ones I can remember hearing and believing when I was younger...swallowing watermelon seeds and having them grow in your tummy was another big one I fell for :hug:
Either write things worth reading, Or do things worth the writing. Posted Image

#19 Justa

Justa

Champion YMCA dancer and professional spaghetti nose shooter

• Town Council
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,497 posts

Posted 30 May 2007 - 06:38 PM

Ah yes, the infamous "grow an orchard in your tummy" ruse. My sister and I got that all the time too... watermelon, orange, apple, etc etc. I'm glad to see I wasn't the only one who fell for that :hug:

Edited by Justa, 30 May 2007 - 06:39 PM.

Posted Image

#20 Axman

Axman

Chainsaws are better......

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,629 posts
  • Interests:Ghost hunting of course! Motorcycles is a big interest of mine. I also am a guitar player (hence my username) but I haven't practiced much over the last year or two. I also enjoy spending time with my wife and family when possible.

Posted 31 May 2007 - 07:58 PM

How about the classic about the man who picks up a woman and they head to a motel room. The guy wakes up a few days later and he's missing a kidney!
Ah. Well... I attended Juilliard... I'm a graduate of the Harvard business school. I travel quite extensively. I lived through the Black Plague and had a pretty good time during that. I've seen the EXORCIST ABOUT A HUNDRED AND SIXTY-SEVEN TIMES, AND IT KEEPS GETTING FUNNIER EVERY SINGLE TIME I SEE IT... NOT TO MENTION THE FACT THAT YOU'RE TALKING TO A DEAD GUY... NOW WHAT DO YOU THINK? You think I'm qualified? --BeetlejuiceI'm the ghost with the most, babe.--BeetlejuiceWe've come for your daughter Chuck--Beetlejuice

#21 leonie

leonie

Village Elder

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 740 posts
  • Interests:&quot;We keep on going because of hope. The hope that one day for one moment we'll feel the total unwavering bliss of a second of happiness.&quot;

Posted 03 June 2007 - 05:51 AM

i like the one that says hair will grow back faster and thicker if you cut or shave it!

i wisht that wasnt true! I once shaved my arms as a child, thinking that was what you did :P they grew back thicker!! Same with my head hair! when I go to the hairdressers to have my har trimmed it grows back in like a week.

"Your just a beautiful freak, I wish there were more like you." - EelsPosted ImagePosted ImagePosted Image

#22 axlfoley

axlfoley

Village Elder

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 967 posts

Posted 06 March 2008 - 02:53 PM

the one my grandma told me before was if you shave your eyebrows off they'll never grow back.

#23 Maelinde

Maelinde

Villager

• PipPipPip
  • 184 posts
  • Interests:Paranormal, Science Fiction, Reading, Renaissance Faires, Costuming/Sewing, beading, jewelry design, polymer clay artist, singing, hanging out with my husband and two cats - and going for walks with my hubby.

Posted 07 May 2008 - 05:47 PM

One of my favorites is that if you pop/crack your knuckles you'll get seriously bad arthritis...

I've been popping my knuckles, knees, neck, and shoulders for years with no problems so far.

While I do have Fibromyalgia, it's not caused by popping knuckles. :P
Debbie / Maelinde"While the rest of the human race are descended from monkeys, redheads derive from cats." - Robert HeinleinVisit My Website

#24 Ecco

Ecco

Junior Villager

• PipPip
  • 46 posts

Posted 13 May 2008 - 09:51 AM

More psychological than physical, but:

Violent videogames make serial killers/murderers

#25 Atropa belladonna

Atropa belladonna

Senior Villager

• PipPipPipPip
  • 392 posts
  • Interests:I have many interests and hobbies. <br />I have enjoyed White Water Rafting down the Penobscot River, Dead River and Kennebec River all on several occasions, Hiking in the White Mountains, Camping, Taking Photographs, watching the horse pull's at Fryeburg Fair, Canning, Sewing, Scrap Booking, Fly Tying, My Artwork........<br /><br />Over the last few years; I have added vegetable gardening, to the job of getting my property back into shape. (it is amazing how well vegetable's mix into a flower garden)<br /><br />I love reading ghost stories and seeing programs on the paranormal.<br />My experiences with the paranormal began when I was still an infant and have continued to this day.

Posted 15 May 2008 - 06:12 PM

I was told one time that your eyes would pop out of your head if you didn't close them when you Sneeze.

aaaaaaaaaaaaachoooooooooooo!!!!!!!!!!! :Spaz:
excuse me I seem to have drop something, no one move.

Time exists so everything doesn't happen at once.Space exists so everything doesn't happen to you.*

Be happy while you're living, for you're a long time dead.*-- Scottish Proverb

#26 Maelinde

Maelinde

Villager

• PipPipPip
  • 184 posts
  • Interests:Paranormal, Science Fiction, Reading, Renaissance Faires, Costuming/Sewing, beading, jewelry design, polymer clay artist, singing, hanging out with my husband and two cats - and going for walks with my hubby.

Posted 15 May 2008 - 06:27 PM

I was told one time that your eyes would pop out of your head if you didn't close them when you Sneeze.

You mean yours don't?? <giggle> :Spaz:

I've heard that if you try to stifle a sneeze, you could rupture your ear drums... I dunno about that one either. :)
Debbie / Maelinde"While the rest of the human race are descended from monkeys, redheads derive from cats." - Robert HeinleinVisit My Website

#27 Atropa belladonna

Atropa belladonna

Senior Villager

• PipPipPipPip
  • 392 posts
  • Interests:I have many interests and hobbies. <br />I have enjoyed White Water Rafting down the Penobscot River, Dead River and Kennebec River all on several occasions, Hiking in the White Mountains, Camping, Taking Photographs, watching the horse pull's at Fryeburg Fair, Canning, Sewing, Scrap Booking, Fly Tying, My Artwork........<br /><br />Over the last few years; I have added vegetable gardening, to the job of getting my property back into shape. (it is amazing how well vegetable's mix into a flower garden)<br /><br />I love reading ghost stories and seeing programs on the paranormal.<br />My experiences with the paranormal began when I was still an infant and have continued to this day.

Posted 20 May 2008 - 07:39 AM

Unbelievable Gas Mileage

"a friend of mine, friend of a friend, so on and so forth" Buy a brand new car and instead of getting the miles per gallon reported by the dealer. (lets just say 20 miles per gallon) they find there wonderful new purchase getting some ridiculous number of mile's, 200 pr gallon.
They then stupidly call, write to or even go in person to tell the manufacturer how happy they are. The manufacturer asks if they can examine the vehicle to "verify" this clam. The customer get's there car back only to find there wonderful new car is the same as all the rest, getting its pitiful 20 miles to the gallon.

This story does vary, some claim that they hear the hood of there car slamming shut in the middle of the night, and the next day there car only gets the 20 miles per gallon.

It is always... "they took something out" "they made some mysterious adjustment"

Time exists so everything doesn't happen at once.Space exists so everything doesn't happen to you.*

Be happy while you're living, for you're a long time dead.*-- Scottish Proverb

#28 ChrisR

ChrisR

Junior Villager

• PipPip
  • 65 posts
  • Interests:Paranormal<br />My Suzuki GSX-R600<br />Football<br />Sharks<br />Industrial &amp; Trance Music

Posted 20 May 2008 - 08:50 AM

When I was a kid my Mom used to tell me if I pulled a stupid face and the wind changed it would stay like that.
Posted Image

#29 Axman

Axman

Chainsaws are better......

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,629 posts
  • Interests:Ghost hunting of course! Motorcycles is a big interest of mine. I also am a guitar player (hence my username) but I haven't practiced much over the last year or two. I also enjoy spending time with my wife and family when possible.

Posted 21 May 2008 - 07:19 PM

Unbelievable Gas Mileage

"a friend of mine, friend of a friend, so on and so forth" Buy a brand new car and instead of getting the miles per gallon reported by the dealer. (lets just say 20 miles per gallon) they find there wonderful new purchase getting some ridiculous number of mile's, 200 pr gallon.
They then stupidly call, write to or even go in person to tell the manufacturer how happy they are. The manufacturer asks if they can examine the vehicle to "verify" this clam. The customer get's there car back only to find there wonderful new car is the same as all the rest, getting its pitiful 20 miles to the gallon.

This story does vary, some claim that they hear the hood of there car slamming shut in the middle of the night, and the next day there car only gets the 20 miles per gallon.

It is always... "they took something out" "they made some mysterious adjustment"

I've heard this one but the topic is medical myths.

Edited by Axman, 21 May 2008 - 07:20 PM.

Ah. Well... I attended Juilliard... I'm a graduate of the Harvard business school. I travel quite extensively. I lived through the Black Plague and had a pretty good time during that. I've seen the EXORCIST ABOUT A HUNDRED AND SIXTY-SEVEN TIMES, AND IT KEEPS GETTING FUNNIER EVERY SINGLE TIME I SEE IT... NOT TO MENTION THE FACT THAT YOU'RE TALKING TO A DEAD GUY... NOW WHAT DO YOU THINK? You think I'm qualified? --BeetlejuiceI'm the ghost with the most, babe.--BeetlejuiceWe've come for your daughter Chuck--Beetlejuice

#30 Chrltt

Chrltt

Senior Villager

• PipPipPipPip
  • 315 posts
  • Interests:Paranormal, Urban Legends, taking photoes, the sims2, but theres so many to think of

Posted 23 May 2008 - 02:51 AM

If you are drunk and want to sober up, you should eat bread because it will "soak up" the alcohol...

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users