Hypnotized by skepticism

• Please log in to reply
30 replies to this topic

#16 leonie

leonie

Village Elder

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 740 posts
  • Interests:"We keep on going because of hope. The hope that one day for one moment we'll feel the total unwavering bliss of a second of happiness."

Posted 30 June 2007 - 05:10 AM

LifeafterDeath did not say that all skeptics were this way but that some skeptics were this way, i think you went slightly over the top in your reaction to it. And LifeafterDeath is correct some skeptics can be very narrow or one minded but not all of them

Do you have any evidence or proof for that? Posted Image

Sorry couldn't resist!

:) To Moonie :weeee:

I will send you a skeptic in the post ok? lol, do your own scientific tests

"Your just a beautiful freak, I wish there were more like you." - EelsPosted ImagePosted ImagePosted Image

#17 plindboe

plindboe

Has a pseudoscience radar

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 946 posts
  • Interests:I'm an atheist and a skeptic regarding paranormal beliefs, but nonetheless I find other people's belief systems fascinating. I think it's important for people who hold different beliefs to discuss with, and learn from, one another. The free exchange of ideas are essential to progress, and it's no coincidence that mankind's two greatest ideas, democracy and science, are based on this.<br /><br />Feel free to message me, if you want to talk. :)

Posted 30 June 2007 - 11:51 AM

Id just like to underline somthing that seemed inportant to what I am going to say here Plindboe. This is on a totally neutral scale I dont really know either you or LiifeafterDeath. And I dont know wether Im a skeptic of a believer to be honist with you. I believe in certain aspects but not others, I strive to learn more and come across happenings that may change my mind.

Right so back to underlining, sorry went off on a tangent then >>>> LfeafterDeath said "from some numbers of particular types of skeptics"

LifeafterDeath did not say that all skeptics were this way but that some skeptics were this way, i think you went slightly over the top in your reaction to it. And LifeafterDeath is correct some skeptics can be very narrow or one minded but not all of them

You are probably correct that LifeafterDeath did not intend to say that all skeptics was saying this. But he did say that he got the vibe from some skeptics "that today's science is complete, and that if it hasn't been proven yet, it won't be later on". I've truly never heard a skeptic utter such innanity before, and it seems to me like a misrepresentation of the points skeptics raise.

I'd certainly agree that there are skeptics a bit too narrowminded, but from my experience they are quite rare. In my experience skeptics acknowledge the fact that humans are frequently mistaken, and therefore consider doubt to be the only reasonable state, before we have a good amount of evidential support.
"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, but wiser people so full of doubts." (Bertrand Russell)

#18 MoonChild

MoonChild

Undead giant that feasts on hotdogs!

• Town Council
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 50,399 posts
  • Interests:Life

Posted 30 June 2007 - 11:56 AM

But he did say that he got the vibe from some skeptics "that today's science is complete, and that if it hasn't been proven yet, it won't be later on". I've truly never heard a skeptic utter such innanity before, and it seems to me like a misrepresentation of the points skeptics raise.

I'd certainly agree that there are skeptics a bit too narrowminded, but from my experience they are quite rare. In my experience skeptics acknowledge the fact that humans are frequently mistaken, and therefore consider doubt to be the only reasonable state, before we have a good amount of evidential support.

Peter, I do agree with you for the most part, but, how do you expect to solve something that is beyond today's science, with the parmetres that is within today's science?
Posted Image

#19 plindboe

plindboe

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 946 posts
  • Interests:I'm an atheist and a skeptic regarding paranormal beliefs, but nonetheless I find other people's belief systems fascinating. I think it's important for people who hold different beliefs to discuss with, and learn from, one another. The free exchange of ideas are essential to progress, and it's no coincidence that mankind's two greatest ideas, democracy and science, are based on this.<br /><br />Feel free to message me, if you want to talk. :)

Posted 30 June 2007 - 12:09 PM

Your sense is awful really, I certainly have listened to your posts for the last three years or so.

I'll continue to use the word "prove". You sound like my son trying to play the semantics game.

It's not simple nitpicking I'm doing, as you've used a word that has a very different meaning than the way you used it. When you use words wrongly you won't be able to communicate well with people, therefore I think it would be wise of you to learn, instead of resisting my correction due to personal pride. It's merely meant as a friendly correction.
"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, but wiser people so full of doubts." (Bertrand Russell)

#20 plindboe

plindboe

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 946 posts

Posted 30 June 2007 - 12:42 PM

But he did say that he got the vibe from some skeptics "that today's science is complete, and that if it hasn't been proven yet, it won't be later on". I've truly never heard a skeptic utter such innanity before, and it seems to me like a misrepresentation of the points skeptics raise.

Peter, I do agree with you for the most part, but, how do you expect to solve something that is beyond today's science, with the parmetres that is within today's science?

We can't at this time. We'll have to wait and see, even though that might be frustrating for some. But why take a firm conclusion before adequate evidence is in? We see all over the world that people take up firm beliefs totally conflicting with each other. This shows clearly that it's in our nature to believe firmly before proper evidence is in, and what we have to acknowledge based on this fact is that dedication to unevidenced beliefs should be avoided and doubt is the only reasonable state, until proper scientific evidence is in.

#21 plindboe

plindboe

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 946 posts

Posted 30 June 2007 - 12:48 PM

I also realize that scientists do not speak in absolutes, Peter. I also want you to realize that even though I may have a belief, it should not indicate to you that it is final, or some sort of dogma. Quite the contrary. Mine are changable, and have changed on many things.

That's a very healthy attitude, and one I possess myself.

#22 SeekX

SeekX

Villager

• PipPipPip
  • 288 posts

Posted 01 July 2007 - 09:36 PM

Your sense is awful really, I certainly have listened to your posts for the last three years or so.

I'll continue to use the word "prove". You sound like my son trying to play the semantics game.

Believer's evidence, hasn't proven a thing. Skeptics, haven't proven a thing. Science has found no evidence to support the claims of believers, so far. Skeptics don't think it will ever find the Proof (hey don't whine Peter, perhaps it is a mathmatical problem and solution).

PS.I'll make sure to send you my posts just in case it might offend you.

That is right LifeafterDeath, the Answer to the Ultimate Question about Life, the Universe, and Everything is 42. :)

I once went to see the old man on the mountain to find the answers , only to find he either had jumped been pushed or had fallen , gee more mysteries , love it! :Spaz:

SeekX

#23 Oniix

Oniix

Village Elder

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,026 posts

Posted 03 July 2007 - 02:44 PM

Well good, we're all on the same page, some times I have a tendancy to react emotionally to your blunt posting peter, but then we are both used to each other's reactions lol

In my closing at least for this thread is this.

Science is ever changing, and it will always be so. What some people experience as ghosts or spirits, or some other paranormal titled event may never be brought within the sites of science.

Science can appear to have a very narrow band of vision, but I do want to say that it's not a negative thing.

#24 plindboe

plindboe

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 946 posts

Posted 16 July 2007 - 02:33 PM

Well good, we're all on the same page, some times I have a tendancy to react emotionally to your blunt posting peter, but then we are both used to each other's reactions lol

Hehe, I know I can be a bit blunt at times. But there's a pretty harmless, silly and loving guy behind these posts, just trying to raise some valid points and hopefully making people think once in a while, so don't take my occasionally blunt posting too personally.

Science is ever changing, and it will always be so. What some people experience as ghosts or spirits, or some other paranormal titled event may never be brought within the sites of science.

Paranormal beliefs will always stay right out of the reach of science, because that's exactly how they are designed. They persist because they can never be shown right or wrong, and because people love mysteries. The day science shows a paranormal belief to be real and describes it in detail, is the same day believers will lose interest in it, as it's no longer a mystery and has therefore become boring.

That said, many answers will probably be provided within the next couple of centuries in the fields of psychology and neuroscience on why people adhere to these kinds of beliefs.

Science can appear to have a very narrow band of vision, but I do want to say that it's not a negative thing.

Science goes where the evidence takes us. Therefore it will tune in on reality, and thereby remain narrow to people who find reality to be dull. But of all human inventions science potentially has the broadest scope, as it can go anywhere, depending on what reality turns out to be.

#25 Richard Kimmel

Richard Kimmel

Villager

• PipPipPip
  • 215 posts

Posted 04 September 2007 - 04:01 PM

The ironic part of a skeptic is that they never have to make a concious decision. Has any skeptic ever offered proof that the Paranormal World, as such, does not exist?

Edited by Richard Kimmel, 04 September 2007 - 04:02 PM.

"He who asserts must also prove" - Aristotle

#26 DeadTrish

DeadTrish

Village Elder

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 561 posts

Posted 04 September 2007 - 05:23 PM

The ironic part of a skeptic is that they never have to make a concious decision. Has any skeptic ever offered proof that the Paranormal World, as such, does not exist?

I don't think all skeptics are that black and white. I know skeptics that believe in the paranormal but maintain their skepticism by backing up explanations with fact. Hey I'm skeptical and I have my own team. lol
TrishDirector/ConsultantAfterlife Investigations: A Paranormal Research SocietyMEMENTO MORI

#27 Richard Kimmel

Richard Kimmel

Villager

• PipPipPip
  • 215 posts

Posted 05 September 2007 - 09:58 AM

A question I often pose on forums is offering the opportunity, to both the skeptic and sudo believers alike, to offer proof that what I state on my website that it is not as I present it to be?

I can tell you exactly why this has not happened, simply because my website does not deal with photographs of anomalies, rather with the actual artifacts, initial latent energy detection, reputable cold Psychic intervention, prior and after research.

There are no scientific explanations that may be offered due to the various phases of my investigation. You're not looking at what may be dust, moisture, breath, cigarette smoke, bugs, reflections, dropped pixels ... or other flaws that are the root of most controversy and the foundation, food if you will, for the skeptic.

#28 Richard Kimmel

Richard Kimmel

Villager

• PipPipPip
  • 215 posts

Posted 07 September 2007 - 08:49 AM

Why does it, more often than not, seem that when reality is offered the skeptics become mute?

Richard

#29 DeadTrish

DeadTrish

Village Elder

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 561 posts

Posted 07 September 2007 - 09:48 AM

I just think skeptics get tired of having to explain themselves. I don't think they are mute.
TrishDirector/ConsultantAfterlife Investigations: A Paranormal Research SocietyMEMENTO MORI

#30 Richard Kimmel

Richard Kimmel

Villager

• PipPipPip
  • 215 posts

Posted 07 September 2007 - 10:49 AM

On the contrary, excluding the sudo believer, I feel that most of us who are serious about what we do are the ones who become tired of having, as it has been put ... "explain themselves".

Richard

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users