Origin of Deja Vu Pinpointed

• Please log in to reply
26 replies to this topic

#16 plindboe

plindboe

Has a pseudoscience radar

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 946 posts
  • Interests:I'm an atheist and a skeptic regarding paranormal beliefs, but nonetheless I find other people's belief systems fascinating. I think it's important for people who hold different beliefs to discuss with, and learn from, one another. The free exchange of ideas are essential to progress, and it's no coincidence that mankind's two greatest ideas, democracy and science, are based on this.<br /><br />Feel free to message me, if you want to talk. :)

Posted 16 July 2007 - 02:44 PM

To think that there is almost 80 to 90% of our brain that is not used, what wonders are held within?!

That's a myth, sorry.
"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, but wiser people so full of doubts." (Bertrand Russell)

#17 Oniix

Oniix

Village Elder

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,026 posts

Posted 24 July 2007 - 03:45 PM

It's not that it goes completely unused, but parts of it are not active during different types of brain function.

It's just that the whole thing doesn't "fire up" with every thought or stimuli.

#18 NotSure

NotSure

Junior Villager

• PipPip
  • 10 posts

Posted 25 July 2007 - 06:24 PM

Weird, I was pretty sure that Deja Vus occur less often the older you get. I remember getting this feeling of Deja Vu often when I was younger, now I haven't had this in quite a long time.
What do you say? Does the occurence of Deja Vus increase with age? Or does it decrease? If it decreases then their wonderful explanation for Deja Vus would be refuted....

I once read that Deja Vus are the consequence of a delay between visual/oral/... input and the brain processing that input. I'd say that explanation makes a lot of sense.

Edited by NotSure, 25 July 2007 - 06:25 PM.

#19 Zulphur

Zulphur

Junior Villager

• PipPip
  • 39 posts
  • Interests:My interests span from a huge variety of things some of these are..
    Music, B - horror Movies, HI - FI, Reading, Travelling, computers, meeting new interesting people like you?

Posted 26 July 2007 - 01:30 PM

by Dave Mosher Thu Jun 7, 2:20 PM ET

The brain cranks out memories near its center, in a looped wishbone of tissue called the hippocampus. But a new study suggests only a small chunk of it, called the dentate gyrus, is responsible for “episodic” memories—information that allows us to tell similar places and situations apart.

The finding helps explain where déjà vu originates in the brain, and why it happens more frequently with increasing age and with brain-disease patients, said MIT neuroscientist Susumu Tonegawa. The study is detailed today in the online version of the journal Science.

Like a computer logging its programs’ activities, the dentate gyrus notes a situation’s pattern—it’s visual, audio, smell, time and other cues for the body’s future reference. So what happens when its abilities are jammed?

When Tonegawa and his team bred mice without a fully-functional dentate gyrus, the rodents struggled to tell the difference between two similar but different situations.

“These animals normally have a distinct ability to distinguish between situations,” Tonegawa said, like humans. “But without the dentate gyrus they were very mixed up.”

Déjà vu is a memory problem, Tonegawa explained, occurring when our brains struggle to tell the difference between two extremely similar situations. As people age, Tonegawa said déjà-vu-like confusion happens more often—and it also happens in people suffering from brain diseases like Alzheimer’s. “It’s not surprising,” he said, “when you consider the fact that there’s a loss of or damage to cells in the dentate gyrus.”

As an aging neuroscientist, Tonegawa admitted it’s a typical phenomenon with him. “I do a lot of traveling so I show up in brand new airports, and my brain tells me it’s been here before,” he said. “But the rest of my brain knows better.”

http://news.yahoo.co...ejavupinpointed

I have a strange feeling I´ve read this before......
"That is not deadWhich can eternal lieYet with strange aeonsEven death may die."'(H.P. Lovecraft)

#20 GothInk

GothInk

Junior Villager

• PipPip
  • 21 posts

Posted 07 August 2007 - 04:11 AM

Weird, I was pretty sure that Deja Vus occur less often the older you get. I remember getting this feeling of Deja Vu often when I was younger, now I haven't had this in quite a long time.
What do you say? Does the occurence of Deja Vus increase with age? Or does it decrease? If it decreases then their wonderful explanation for Deja Vus would be refuted....

I once read that Deja Vus are the consequence of a delay between visual/oral/... input and the brain processing that input. I'd say that explanation makes a lot of sense.

I agree with you there NotSure. When I was a child I experienced Deja Vu quite alot, but as I grew up it became less frequent, and now as an adult, it has been years between experiences of it. If it were a paranormal thing, then this would make sense as children are said to be more open to, or sensitive to it, and lose the ability as they get older.
Posted Image

#21 autumnbelle

autumnbelle

Village Elder

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 513 posts
  • Interests:Am curious about almost anything . . .

Posted 07 August 2007 - 05:47 AM

What about the cases of Deja Vu that are so strong people not only feel as if they have lived it before, they can actually lead you about places they 'have never been'? That might not be classified under Deja Vu . . .

Eat, drink and be scary. ~Author Unknown

#22 Darkwoods

Darkwoods

Junior Villager

• PipPip
  • 47 posts

Posted 09 August 2007 - 08:27 PM

The aura before my seizures was a deja vu feeling. I had a hemorrhaging lesion removed from that part of my brain, along with surrounding tissue. Now I have short-term memory problems. I used to experience "phantom" smells and tastes, too. The brain can really mess with your, uh, mind... :Spaz:

Edited by Darkwoods, 09 August 2007 - 08:28 PM.

#23 sekhlev

sekhlev

Junior Villager

• PipPip
  • 16 posts

Posted 17 January 2008 - 12:39 PM

The aura before my seizures was a deja vu feeling. I had a hemorrhaging lesion removed from that part of my brain, along with surrounding tissue. Now I have short-term memory problems. I used to experience "phantom" smells and tastes, too. The brain can really mess with your, uh, mind... :D

Yeah, I used to have strong feeling of deja Vu when I lived in Portugal and was in my teens.
Since I moved to the US, they have completely stopped. I have no had a Deja Vu in 13 years ( as long as I been living in the US)
So..not quiet sure about this.. of course I am getting older...and they have stopped

#24 qtswede

qtswede

• Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 16 February 2008 - 10:01 PM

I have had many deja vu experiences, and they have not faded with age for me, anyhow. BUT the most strongly imprinted one is one that I dreamt of when I was a child, then saw come to fruition during my freshman year. I knew NONE of the people in the incident until that year that I lived it rather than dreamt it... bizzare.

#25 secretsign

secretsign

Loves to take trash and make treasures

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,629 posts

Posted 21 February 2008 - 09:39 AM

If someone started messing with my brain I think I would be more than a little confused..

I always have moments of VU JaDe. Knowing I been there and aint gonna do it again...hehe
Slainte mhor agus a h-uile beannachd duibh Good health and every blessing to you

#26 Axman

Axman

Chainsaws are better......

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,629 posts
  • Interests:Ghost hunting of course! Motorcycles is a big interest of mine. I also am a guitar player (hence my username) but I haven't practiced much over the last year or two. I also enjoy spending time with my wife and family when possible.

Posted 22 February 2008 - 11:39 PM

"It's like DeJa Vu all over again."--Yogi Berra

Edited by Axman, 22 February 2008 - 11:39 PM.

Ah. Well... I attended Juilliard... I'm a graduate of the Harvard business school. I travel quite extensively. I lived through the Black Plague and had a pretty good time during that. I've seen the EXORCIST ABOUT A HUNDRED AND SIXTY-SEVEN TIMES, AND IT KEEPS GETTING FUNNIER EVERY SINGLE TIME I SEE IT... NOT TO MENTION THE FACT THAT YOU'RE TALKING TO A DEAD GUY... NOW WHAT DO YOU THINK? You think I'm qualified? --BeetlejuiceI'm the ghost with the most, babe.--BeetlejuiceWe've come for your daughter Chuck--Beetlejuice

#27 Atropa belladonna

Atropa belladonna

Senior Villager

• PipPipPipPip
  • 392 posts
  • Interests:I have many interests and hobbies. <br />I have enjoyed White Water Rafting down the Penobscot River, Dead River and Kennebec River all on several occasions, Hiking in the White Mountains, Camping, Taking Photographs, watching the horse pull's at Fryeburg Fair, Canning, Sewing, Scrap Booking, Fly Tying, My Artwork........<br /><br />Over the last few years; I have added vegetable gardening, to the job of getting my property back into shape. (it is amazing how well vegetable's mix into a flower garden)<br /><br />I love reading ghost stories and seeing programs on the paranormal.<br />My experiences with the paranormal began when I was still an infant and have continued to this day.

Posted 26 May 2008 - 03:50 PM

CRUDDDDDDDDDDDD!!!!!!!!!! :hug: :(

Does that mean I started becoming an old fart when I was still a kid?

What a bummer.

Wait this feel familiar, didn't I say all that before?!!

:)

Time exists so everything doesn't happen at once.Space exists so everything doesn't happen to you.*

Be happy while you're living, for you're a long time dead.*-- Scottish Proverb

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users