EMF meter from Ghost Hunters (TAPS)

• Please log in to reply
19 replies to this topic

#1 stoner

stoner

Junior Villager

• PipPip
  • 20 posts
  • Interests:Computers, GAA, Paranormal,decent books, holidays, women, making money, food.

Posted 11 June 2007 - 07:01 AM

Hi, anyone know the name and model of the EMF meters the guys from TAPS used on Ghost hunters.
It was black and with a digital read out.

Thanks
This snake cannot be captured This snake cannot be tied This snake cannot be tortured, or Hung or crucified

#2 RON3002

RON3002

Senior Villager

• PipPipPipPip
  • 388 posts

Posted 15 June 2007 - 07:33 AM

I belive this may be the one here is the link
http://www.ghoststor...gaussmeter.html
RON

#3 Oniix

Oniix

Village Elder

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,026 posts

Posted 21 June 2007 - 02:58 PM

I still have my grumbles about these devices, especially after one was put next to a cell phone, and the investigator's own head. One should not rely on these things soley.

Edited by LifeafterDeath, 21 June 2007 - 02:59 PM.

#4 damckie

damckie

My innersoul rides on a big fluffy cloud....

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,113 posts
  • Interests:Ghost Hunting!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Hanging with my best friend and soulmate

Posted 24 June 2007 - 06:28 AM

I still have my grumbles about these devices, especially after one was put next to a cell phone, and the investigator's own head. One should not rely on these things soley.

We totally rely on our emf. It has helped us in many ways. Most of our work comes from after we get a strong reading. The one we use is made by A.W. Sperry. Model # 200A. I believe this is the same one that Taps uses on the show. We got our emf on a website called Ghoststudy. I'll take one of these over a medium or psychic anytime! They don't lie!
Two hearts drawn together bound by destiny. Every road leads to your door...."Will you still love me?" By Chicago. Love is the reason we'll never be alone. In love, in love.... "I believe." By Chicago. I LOVE YOU JULIET!!! The Spirit Stalker of Ohio "BREAK ON THROUGH TO THE OTHER SIDE" The Doors! GOOD DAVE HUNTING

#5 Oniix

Oniix

Village Elder

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,026 posts

Posted 25 June 2007 - 08:44 AM

Gah! Well as long as you don't justify and orb photo with the blip on the EMF.

#6 TheresaRHPS

TheresaRHPS

Villager

• PipPipPip
  • 272 posts

Posted 27 June 2007 - 03:42 AM

Gah! Well as long as you don't justify and orb photo with the blip on the EMF.

*Snicker*

The model that TAPS uses only measures man-made emf fields...which basically means that really, the only thing these are useful for are ruling out false positives due to areas that have a high level of emf...and thus can cause paranoia, illness, and hallucinations...but yes...I DO proudly own this device, as a thorough investigation is always top priority.

There are also free-floating fields of man-made emf just hanging out, and moving about...this doesn't mean its a ghost...plus, with this model, you have to be very careful not to shake it, or move it too rapidly...again, it will give you a false reading.

If you DO wish to try to use emf meters to signify ghostly presences...then you MUST have one that measures natural fields...the tri-field meter is probably the best way to go.

However, keep in mind that NO type of emf reading has ever been proven to signify paranormal activity. The best thing we can do is supplement those readings with other hard data...and yes...orb photos are NOT hard data, hehee.

Edited by TheresaRHPS, 27 June 2007 - 03:42 AM.

Huntington Paranormal Investigations and ResearchCheck out my website

#7 Oniix

Oniix

Village Elder

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,026 posts

Posted 27 June 2007 - 07:30 AM

Whew! and I thought I was going nuts thinking that.

#8 feusurlaneige

feusurlaneige

Not a very good "ghost" detective!

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,248 posts

Posted 27 June 2007 - 07:21 PM

I find emf good sometimes and not others. I dont think they are 100% reliable as we have had poltergeist activity and had knocking and placed the emf in the area of the noise that was being created and nothing. I think spirit can avoid them if they want. I dont know how close these devices have to be to the spirit energy. I think you have to have the device right in the thick of the energy or run it through the spirit energy. You could have a spirit right next to you and I think they dont always pick this up.

#9 Oniix

Oniix

Village Elder

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,026 posts

Posted 28 June 2007 - 07:49 AM

I guess in that sense, they are best used when looking for normal explanations that may effect the environment and the people within.

#10 endunk

endunk

• Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 04 November 2007 - 12:57 AM

Hi, anyone know the name and model of the EMF meters the guys from TAPS used on Ghost hunters.

Thanks

Stoner
I believe this link :
http://www.ghostmeter.net/
is one of the meters you are asking about. It can be purchased for $29.95 to $49.95 depending on where you get it from.
G'Day
endunk

#11 damckie

damckie

My innersoul rides on a big fluffy cloud....

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,113 posts
  • Interests:Ghost Hunting!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Hanging with my best friend and soulmate

Posted 04 November 2007 - 08:48 AM

Thanks

Stoner
I believe this link :
http://www.ghostmeter.net/
is one of the meters you are asking about. It can be purchased for $29.95 to $49.95 depending on where you get it from.
G'Day
endunk

A.W. Sperry EMF-200A We have one and I just love to use it on our investigations. It runs right around 100 bucks! Well worth the $ Dave
Two hearts drawn together bound by destiny. Every road leads to your door...."Will you still love me?" By Chicago. Love is the reason we'll never be alone. In love, in love.... "I believe." By Chicago. I LOVE YOU JULIET!!! The Spirit Stalker of Ohio "BREAK ON THROUGH TO THE OTHER SIDE" The Doors! GOOD DAVE HUNTING

#12 nnyprs

nnyprs

Senior Villager

• PipPipPipPip
  • 327 posts
  • Interests:All things paranormal.

Posted 10 November 2007 - 01:40 AM

I have to generally agree with Theresa here. There is a certain model EMF detector out there being called the "Ghost Meter". These DO NOT DETECT THE PRESCENCE OF A GHOST. They detect Electro-Magnetic Fields. I do have to generally diagree however with the fact that you need a Tri-Field as opposed to a normal EMF meter to possible detect the presence of spirit. If you are getting an EMF reading, the first thing you need to do is try to find all the natural causes for it....refrigerators, speakers, computers, bad electrical wiring, and especially electrical entrances, among a number of other things, give off EMFs. If you have rules all of these out, then it is possible, in the thinking of many professionals, that a presence could be there.
But the real question is why? Generally speaking, "ghosts" do not have energy, and therefore, would normally show nothing on an EMF. However, to interact with our world, they need energy to do that, hence cold spots, drained batteries etc. When manifesting in some way, i.e. sound, smell, touch, visual, etc, they use energy to do it, which does give off an EMF. This is why EMF is such an important tool in the paranormal investigators toolbox.

I would add also, that these EMF's have also been known, as Theresa stated, to cause hallucinations, depression, paranoia and illness. This has been found in prolonged exposure to high EMF. If there is a high man-made EMF in an area that people "live-in" quite often, i.e. couch, chair, bed, etc, this could be an explanation for some things being seen or heard. This has been tested especially in bedrooms, because 90 % of the time, electrical wiring from the supply lines are connected to the house at the top of a house, usully near a bedroom, usually a bed is VERY CLOSE to that wall.

All in all, be reasonable when using an EMF meter. It does not tell you there is a ghost there. IT IS NOT A GHOST METER! That's my 2 cents at least. :ghost:
The Northern New York Paranormal Research SocietySEEK TRUTH!!!The NNYPRS Discussion ForumSEEK TRUTH!!![url=http://www.blogtalkradio.com/NNYPRS[/url]SEEK TRUTH!!!Posted Image

#13 Joven76

Joven76

Senior Villager

• PipPipPipPip
  • 309 posts

Posted 10 November 2007 - 08:59 AM

A.W. Sperry EMF-200A We have one and I just love to use it on our investigations. It runs right around 100 bucks! Well worth the $ Dave

I just purchased an EMF/ELF meter made by ExTech for $103 (including tax) from a local distributor, however I have found the Sperry EMF-200A for as much as $75... After shipping it would have cost me a little bit less than what I paid for mine, so I justified the extra $5 as a convience fee of me being able to pick it up that day...

I'm not sure I can put links to other places to buy equipment other than the Ghost-Mart, so out of respect to this board, I will not...

Christopher
PB&J Paranormal proudly supports the St. Baldrick's Foundation for childhood cancer research so that all children diagnosed with cancer will have a better chance for a cure.

Posted Image

#14 reapr

reapr

Junior Villager

• PipPip
  • 90 posts
  • Interests:Wisdom, Knowledge and Truth.

Posted 14 November 2007 - 10:44 AM

I have to generally agree with Theresa here. There is a certain model EMF detector out there being called the "Ghost Meter". These DO NOT DETECT THE PRESCENCE OF A GHOST. They detect Electro-Magnetic Fields. I do have to generally diagree however with the fact that you need a Tri-Field as opposed to a normal EMF meter to possible detect the presence of spirit. If you are getting an EMF reading, the first thing you need to do is try to find all the natural causes for it....refrigerators, speakers, computers, bad electrical wiring, and especially electrical entrances, among a number of other things, give off EMFs. If you have rules all of these out, then it is possible, in the thinking of many professionals, that a presence could be there.
But the real question is why? Generally speaking, "ghosts" do not have energy, and therefore, would normally show nothing on an EMF. However, to interact with our world, they need energy to do that, hence cold spots, drained batteries etc. When manifesting in some way, i.e. sound, smell, touch, visual, etc, they use energy to do it, which does give off an EMF. This is why EMF is such an important tool in the paranormal investigators toolbox.

I would add also, that these EMF's have also been known, as Theresa stated, to cause hallucinations, depression, paranoia and illness. This has been found in prolonged exposure to high EMF. If there is a high man-made EMF in an area that people "live-in" quite often, i.e. couch, chair, bed, etc, this could be an explanation for some things being seen or heard. This has been tested especially in bedrooms, because 90 % of the time, electrical wiring from the supply lines are connected to the house at the top of a house, usully near a bedroom, usually a bed is VERY CLOSE to that wall.

All in all, be reasonable when using an EMF meter. It does not tell you there is a ghost there. IT IS NOT A GHOST METER! That's my 2 cents at least. :)

I have to agree with you 100%. Just using my tri-field aroung the house can be an eye opener. An older building with old wiring just gets worse. If your within close proximity of all things a cell tower .... ouch.
I must also add that I think these are great tools to help confirm or rule out paranormal activity and from my limited experience and sharing with others would probably be best used along with a medium or sensitive.
People will generally accept facts as truth only if the facts agree with what they already believe. Andy Rooney

#15 TNParanormalInvestigation

TNParanormalInvestigation

• Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 16 December 2007 - 10:46 AM

The answer with out clicking to a page is:
Lutron EMF-822A it averages from about $25 on eBay to nearly $100 on commercial web sites.
The Sperry EMF 200 is out of production from my understanding from suppliers.

We have 3 and trust them over the "popular" CellSensor. The Lutron can handle the vibration from walking where as the CS will register a sneeze from someone in the group.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users